Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 64

Thread: Favorite wood?

  1. #1

    Default Favorite wood?

    Mine is a resounding Cedar!

    But I can't lie, I do love me some vetiver and, for a good heart, Cashmere.

    Never really got into sandalwood though. Find it really, really generic and bland. It's not bad, I enjoy many fragrances with it as base, but none seem to captivate me.

    What about you? Any wood, I know I didn't name them all, just a few.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Agreed, a great cedar is hard to beat. I have a fragrance that I recently created for myself that contains a cedar/frankincense coextract and it's just awesome. A good cedar is very light, very rich and extremely long lasting.

    On the other hand I do absolutely love a good sandalwood in the dry down. It can seriously make a fragrance.
    Last edited by rynegne; 14th March 2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

    SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Sandalwood by far.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Guaiacwood.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 14th March 2014 at 08:53 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Cedar, with sandalwood as the second greatest favorite.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    A good one as well. Very different indeed...Mild and very woody with a light smokiness, very smooth...almost smells like damp freshly cut wood that's seen smoke.

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Gaiac.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

    SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Guaiacwood.
    Is that the one called oud? Or was that something else?

    I think I agree, but I hate oud, so might be thinking of a different.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Is that the one called oud? Or was that something else?

    I think I agree, but I hate oud, so might be thinking of a different.
    Oud and Guiacwood are completely unrelated. Oud is sometimes called Agarwood.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Guaiacwood and oud are quite different.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Oud and Guiacwood are completely unrelated. Oud is sometimes called Agarwood.
    Agarwood!!! That's right, thanks. I knew it was something Nordic or Germ sounding. Yuk, I hate it.

    But yes, guiacwood is awesome!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Morning

  12. #12

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    Morning
    Wah, wah, wahhhhhh. Nice

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    408

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Oud, but only as an accent, not as an "in your face, here you are" element. Ormonde Jane Man and MFK Oud are examples of two of my favorite scents where I like the way the Oud adds complexity.

    Also agree with Cedar as good stuff, see Gucci Pour Homme 2003

  14. #14

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    When it comes to real (I'm not including patchouli or vetiver) woods, my favorite is sandalwood.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Patchouli is from leaves & vetiver is from roots - neither are trees!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Guaiacwood is by far my favorite.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Patchouli is from leaves & vetiver is from roots - neither are trees!
    You're right... I know they call vetiver scents Woody all too often. Thanks for the voice of reason here.

  18. #18
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    77,227

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Sandalwood
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    I have a couple fragrances with sandalwood at the base, but none of them lack the company of Cedar. Cedar makes everything better.

  20. #20
    Dependent CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Sandalwood then Guaiacwood.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    I want a good sandalwood to try. Would (lol) love to give it another try. Any recommendations, as usual, under $50, can be that discounted...

  22. #22
    Super Member Ghosst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    317

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Creed Original Santal for Sandalwood,

    And then Tom Ford Oud Wood is alway good as well

  23. #23
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,003
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    One of my favorites is Serge Lutens-Bois Oriental, said to be a cedar scent so I suppose that would be my choice. I do think all the artificial woods are so manipulated as to be completely unrecognizable as their natural counterpart.

    I also love cypress as in Eau D'Hadrien.

    I have no clue how guaic wood smells.
    Last edited by kumquat; 15th March 2014 at 03:18 PM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
    Creed Original Santal for Sandalwood,

    And then Tom Ford Oud Wood is alway good as well

    gotta love the oud wood

  25. #25

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Cedar
    Sandalwood
    Oud

    But it's all about the composition... They can all be done very poorly also.
    Seasonal favorites:

    1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4.
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York city
    Posts
    1,201

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Sandalwood is my favorite note I wear sandalwood fragrances all year round

  27. #27
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,183

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Virginia cedar.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  28. #28
    Basenotes Junkie Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Definately sandalwood.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    usually "morning"...
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

  30. #30

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    usually "morning"...
    You've been beat to the literal punch.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    But I digress...Cedar
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

  32. #32

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    You've been beat to the literal punch.
    crap, I didnt read all of the responses....Dammit...And I really worked hard on that response...
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

  33. #33

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    crap, I didnt read all of the responses....Dammit...And I really worked hard on that response...
    Lol its cool, happens to everyone

  34. #34

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Lol its cool, happens to everyone
    Now I feel like an idiot....lol...nothing new for me, I guess....
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

  35. #35
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I want a good sandalwood to try. Would (lol) love to give it another try. Any recommendations, as usual, under $50, can be that discounted...
    If you don't mind aquatics, then the discontinued Quiksilver is a great one - and one of the few with a big slug of natural sandalwood (albeit the Australian kind). You can really smell the "creamy" aspect of sandalwood in this one.

    Very hard to find now. The prices on Amazon have skyrocketed. One place is charging $150 for the 3.3 oz bottle! However, I did find one cheaper - within your price range:

    http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S...aspx?id=102611
    * * * *

  36. #36

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Patchouli is from leaves & vetiver is from roots - neither are trees!
    Yeah, I know that!
    But many people include them in the "woody" category.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  37. #37

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    For me it's cedar. Brazilian rosewood is pretty good too. Pine tree and oakwood are very good, but not utilized enough.

    Also, although not woods, but in the wood family; cypress, fir, and spruce are favorites.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    If you don't mind aquatics, then the discontinued Quiksilver is a great one - and one of the few with a big slug of natural sandalwood (albeit the Australian kind). You can really smell the "creamy" aspect of sandalwood in this one.

    Very hard to find now. The prices on Amazon have skyrocketed. One place is charging $150 for the 3.3 oz bottle! However, I did find one cheaper - within your price range:

    http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S...aspx?id=102611
    I agree, the sandalwood note in this one is fantastic. I remember buying a 1 oz bottle off scentedmonkey, some 2 or 3 years ago for 7 bucks. I used it up pretty quick and went looking for another.. all a sudden.. discontinued, couldn't find it anywhere. About a year and a half ago I found somebody in the marketplace selling a 3.3 oz bottle for 20 shipped, I guess he wasn't aware of the demand on it and just wanted to get rid of his. I scooped it up with open arms. It really is a great simple sandalwood fragrance, very underrated and very good sandalwood note.

    If sandalwood smelled like this more often, maybe it would beat out cedar, but for the most part, I find sandalwood to come off cheap, generic, and often times powdery.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 15th March 2014 at 04:55 AM.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

    Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

  38. #38
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    I've always loved cedar, I have one in my yard and loved it as a kid growing up.

  39. #39
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,696

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Agarwood and guaiac, followed by cedar. While I love sandalwood, I have yet to find a fragrance that really carries this note in an honest, true to life form. All the sandalwood fragrances I've tried so far tend to be leaning towards soft, soapy variations, like old school hand soaps, not exactly smelling like actual *sandalwood*. Perhaps I need to explore some more exotic mysore creations from lands far away... The only fragrances that have very decent sandalwood notes and that I enjoy a lot, yet still not exactly my ideal interpretation of what sandalwood should be, are all from Chanel: Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Bois des Iles, and the regular Egoiste (in this order). I sort of gave up on "pure sandalwood" fragrances, especially after buying a bottle of Tam Dao EDP last month (turns out it's 100% cedar after the first 15 minutes, sandalwood is nowhere to be found).

  40. #40
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Agarwood and guaiac, followed by cedar. While I love sandalwood, I have yet to find a fragrance that really carries this note in an honest, true to life form. All the sandalwood fragrances I've tried so far tend to be leaning towards soft, soapy variations, like old school hand soaps, not exactly smelling like actual *sandalwood*. Perhaps I need to explore some more exotic mysore creations from lands far away... The only fragrances that have very decent sandalwood notes and that I enjoy a lot, yet still not exactly my ideal interpretation of what sandalwood should be, are all from Chanel: Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Bois des Iles, and the regular Egoiste (in this order). I sort of gave up on "pure sandalwood" fragrances, especially after buying a bottle of Tam Dao EDP last month (turns out it's 100% cedar after the first 15 minutes, sandalwood is nowhere to be found).
    I agree - real sandalwood is something of a lost cause anymore. Nothing smells like the sandalwood figurines of my youth.
    * * * *

  41. #41

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Probably the smell of Oak, which doesn't get used much at all.

    I'm also partial to the totally synthetic Georgywood.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #42

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Most of the stuff I own has cedar in it, and I do like sandalwood, too. But, man, that birch in Aventus has me hooked.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Hinoki for me is unbeatable.
    Should mention that I am probably biased, as I often go to Taiwan, and many spring-resorts use Hinoki wood for their tubs... Always brings good memories. Closest that I have found is CdG Hinoki, but I wish more houses used this note...

  44. #44

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Sandal, birch, cedar, fir, pine.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I want a good sandalwood to try. Would (lol) love to give it another try. Any recommendations, as usual, under $50, can be that discounted...
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood; it's a bit over $50 ($70-75 for 100 ml, haven't really seen it discounted) but might be worth an exception. I love smelling this fragrance when I'm about four storefronts away from AOS at the mall

  46. #46

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I want a good sandalwood to try. Would (lol) love to give it another try. Any recommendations, as usual, under $50, can be that discounted...
    Also Caswell-Massey's Sandalwood, although not in stock at times.

  47. #47
    Dependent del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,057
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Cedar
    Sandalwood
    Oud


    But it's all about the composition... They can all be done very poorly also.
    ^ These, but not necessarily in that order.

    5382

  48. #48

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Mysore Sandalwood and Agar wood.

  49. #49
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by chinamen_6 View Post
    Hinoki for me is unbeatable.Should mention that I am probably biased, as I often go to Taiwan, and many spring-resorts use Hinoki wood for their tubs... Always brings good memories. Closest that I have found is CdG Hinoki, but I wish more houses used this note...
    Yes, I agree completely. I have a body wash called BDY-WS EARTH (primarily hinoki) by Kyoku that came from Barneys that smells amazing and I wish they made a perfume. Then there is the almost completely neglected Palo Santo that perfumers should use. With those underused notes mentioned I do love Oud and Guaiacwood.
    Last edited by Akahina; 15th March 2014 at 04:56 PM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  50. #50
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,318
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Cypress/Pine
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  51. #51

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    No teak fans yet?

  52. #52

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Another vote for sandalwood.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Cedar for me.

  54. #54
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,836

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Cedar, with sandalwood as the second greatest favorite.

    + 1!

  55. #55

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Cedar.

    The last thing i want to smell in my frags is sandalwood. I'm sick of it. I grew up in the Mysore region (famed for its sandalwood) of India and the damned smell is done to redundance here. Sandalwood soaps, incense, oils, talc powders, face packs, body lotion and what have you! Even friggin detergents come sandal scented. To this day my mother keeps sachets of powdered sandalwood in her cupboard where she hangs her sarees.

  56. #56
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,696

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarshVader View Post
    The last thing i want to smell in my frags is sandalwood. I'm sick of it. I grew up in the Mysore region (famed for its sandalwood) of India and the damned smell is done to redundance here.
    Well, I, for one, envy you. I'd love to know what real mysore sandalwood smells like, especially in fragrance form. It's nearly impossible to find it anymore, so even if you are sick and tired of it - consider yourself lucky - some of us still have no idea what the real sandalwood really smells like. :-(

  57. #57

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I'd love to know what real mysore sandalwood smells like, especially in fragrance form.
    I know there are export restrictions on sandalwood here. Sandalwood smuggling (closely tied to ivory smuggling) was a menace and was only recently reined in. Pure sandalwood oil (and other sandalwood products, sculptures included) is sold only through a government agency which has plush outlets in leading cities here. I have seen foreign tourists thronging these 'Emporia' (they are named thus) The oil sells for about $25 for a 5ml vial locally. Here you go.

    http://www.cauveryhandicrafts.net/Pr...d-3001689.aspx

    Also, there is an expanse of protected forest here (on the fringes of Bandipur National Park) that is almost entirely of sandalwood. I had gone there quite recently on a photography trip. The whole fragrant forest is nothing short of surreal.

  58. #58

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Cedar, with sandalwood as the second greatest favorite.
    Yep. It would have to be this

  59. #59

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    What is the composition of "precious woods"?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  60. #60

    Default Re: Favorite wood?

    Some aromachem.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11th March 2014, 04:35 PM
  2. Favorite Wood Fragrances
    By weylin in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 9th April 2013, 02:51 PM
  3. He Wood vs He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood
    By Fadi007 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd October 2011, 11:38 PM
  4. Favorite wood fragrances from this list
    By hobbes22 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 4th October 2011, 02:33 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15th November 2010, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •