Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Stephane Humbert Lucas 777

can anybody elaborate on this ultra expensive stuff? not available in the U.S.
    pricewise eats amouage for breakfast, roja dove edp for lunch, and duels with dove's extrait in the evening.
    i believe noggs posted some very positive comments, but if i remember right most impressions were based on paper strips.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 5 : Sycomore, Bois des Iles, Dia Man, Sel de Vetiver, HdP 1828

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Stephane Humbert Lucas 777

My son owns six of the seven fragrances offered by this line and I have tried all the ones he has. Khôl de Bahreïn, Black Gemstone and Oumma are my preferred but they are all nice. Well made quality scents with excellent longevity and projection IMO. More info about the notes and scents can be found here:
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/fragra...lucas-777.html
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

hednic, how sugary is khol de bahrein, since there is a listed note "sweet notes'?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My son owns six of the seven fragrances offered by this line and I have tried all the ones he has. Khôl de Bahreïn, Black Gemstone and Oumma are my preferred but they are all nice. Well made quality scents with excellent longevity and projection IMO. More info about the notes and scents can be found here:
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/fragra...lucas-777.html

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    hednic, how sugary is khol de bahrein, since there is a listed note "sweet notes'?
    What I recall from the last time I sprayed it is that the first whiff is rather sweet (maybe due to the gourmands notes) but pretty quickly transitions to something more woody and spicy with no lingering sweetness, at least to my nose.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I still have the paper strips from March 7. It is now 8 days later and the strips remain very aromatic. They have mellowed since I first reported, and are into the deep base notes. My first post about them in the other thread was several days after spraying, but since fragrances develop so slowly on paper, they were probably just entering their drydowns then.

About Kohl de Bahrein specifically, yes, it is a little sweet. The drydown is very soft and woody-ambery, but not woody-ambery like a lot of other recent fragrances. This smells softer, smoother, more plush and velvety, without the slight harshness which is found in most current woody-ambery drydowns. It smells a bit like the drydowns in some '80s men's fragrances, smooth and organic, if not as complex. I get some sandalwood and vanilla, too, and something like a gently supporting floral note.

It is a little sweet, but sweet like classic men's fragrances, a soft, woody, almost powdery kind of sweetness. It is really good stuff! Its drydown is the softest and creamiest of the entire line. I can easily see this as being the most popular of the bunch considering its quality and relatively lower price.

After smelling all the strips again, I'd say that Kohl de Bahrein is the sweetest of the line, but I wouldn't call it sweet per se, only in relation to the others.
    Last edited by noggs; 15th March 2014 at 04:04 AM.
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

I have mixed feelings about the line.

One of them is a (poor) copy of Kilian's Pure Oud.

Generally I'm very unimpressed.
    for swap/sale:

sounds dicouraging, but i will be getting 5 decants from splits very soon... haha.... i hope i would share noggs opinion, not hedonist222's...the stuff is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the line.

One of them is a (poor) copy of Kilian's Pure Oud.

Generally I'm very unimpressed.
    Last edited by mspa; 22nd March 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Yeah, Im just hearing about this line. For that price and exclusivity, they had better be amazing.

well, i admire all 3 bnoters who expressed opinions above. lets see what comes..

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    Yeah, Im just hearing about this line. For that price and exclusivity, they had better be amazing.

sounds discouraging, but I will be getting 5 decants from splits very soon
    Would love to hear what your thoughts of Oumma if it happens to be one you are receiving.

nope... i was stingy to myself.. but still have the chance to get it.
    the ones expecting are soleil de jeddah, black gemstone, rose de petra, 2022, khol de bahrein
    it is all entirely blind - 10ml decants. they are all less expensive than oumma... i kind of resisted giving over $100 for 10ml of something i have never smelled, by a house i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Would love to hear what your thoughts of Oumma if it happens to be one you are receiving.

got the decants today (i believe others have gotten there splits already, would be curious to hear their opinions too). so far i have only sprayed on my forearms and wrists, no full wear yet.
    i share noggs opinion - they smell organic. great first impressions. among the 4 i am most impressed by soleil de jeddah, then by rose de petra, followed by black gemstone and 2022 on the end.
    i am curious which one does hedonist222 consider a bad copy of pure oud by killians.... and hope that after some full wears i won't be sharing his opinion about the house. so far fortunately i am happy.
    after trying soleil de jeddah i thought this was what i imagined a great arabic perfume to smell like... or is it western enough for those of you who have tried it?
    Last edited by mspa; 11th April 2014 at 02:38 AM.

Nice. I've been so curious about this line, but reviews are nowhere to be found.

so far fortunately i am happy.
    after trying soleil de jeddah i thought this was what i imagined a great arabic perfume to smell like... or is it western enough for those of you who have tried it?
    Glad to hear that it and the others were at least in terms of first impressions to your liking.
    Last edited by hednic; 11th April 2014 at 03:05 AM.

oh, well... after swimming and shower i applied on fresh the one i had claimed being my least favorite so far - 2022 homme.... quite enjoyable. yuzu and blackcurrant on top, very natural, balanced, delicate. faint spices, not sure exactly what, very well blended. the mint is either extremely subtle or none at all to my nose. expecting the oud now.... i guess it should be very gentle too. so far neither anything medicinal a la xerjoff or montale, nor sandy a la ex idolo and terenzi's oud (combined with rose) offerings, nor woody/oudy a la mfk oud f.e. to my nose. of what i have tried claiming oud as note, the only resemblence would be fortis by LLI.
    i hope i remain inspired enough to report the further development
    Last edited by mspa; 11th April 2014 at 03:31 AM.

I have bought bottles of Rose de Petra and Kohl de Bahrein. I like both of them, and they are the least expensive of the bunch. Maybe I'll post further remarks after I've spent more time with them.

Oumma and especially O Hira are very much more costly. The rest of the line are about $100 per bottle more than Rose and Kohl, which gives me pause. I like the 2022 Woman much more than 2022 Man and would like to have a bottle.

BTW, here are a few online reviews for those who are interested:

http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-niche...-in-your-eyes/

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2014/0...-ambered-iris/

I remember reading a review of Rose de Petra, but cannot find it now. Also, there are a number of reviews on various Russian blogs. Google Translate makes a mess of Russian, but there's usually enough that is comprehendible to make it worthwhile. I've also found that the Russian Fragrantica site (in general) has a lot of reviews of fragrances about which there is scant information on the English language Fragrantica.

Please report back with more of your thoughts, mspa.

Noggs - did Ô Hira just come out recently? Is this their newest one? First in Fragrance still doesn't carry it and I had not heard about it until you mentioned it above. Do you know of any place in your area that carries this and ships to the US? I'd love to surprise my son with this as he has the others.

O Hira is more than twice as expensive as the middle tiered ones in the line, and twice as expensive as Oumma. O Hira is about $800 for 50 ml.

According to the SA it is primarily (or only) high quality oud oil, which supposedly accounts for the high price. But the official page of the brand owner says something very different: http://www.sagmacorp.com/perfumes/777/o-hira.php I didn't try it, so I can't comment.

I don't know when it came out, I assume at the same time as the others. Here in Saudi the line is sold by Paris Gallery. Sak's has the line in Bahrain. I don't know if either ship.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    O Hira is more than twice as expensive as the middle tiered ones in the line, and twice as expensive as Oumma. O Hira is about $800 for 50 ml.

According to the SA it is primarily (or only) high quality oud oil, which supposedly accounts for the high price. But the official page of the brand owner says something very different: http://www.sagmacorp.com/perfumes/777/o-hira.php I didn't try it, so I can't comment.

I don't know when it came out, I assume at the same time as the others. Here in Saudi the line is sold by Paris Gallery. Sak's has the line in Bahrain. I don't know if either ship.
    Yeah, I had read that above from the link. They talk about how it is supposed to have the rarest fossilized amber. There is a seller on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Stephan...item3f325b8f7c who is selling it for $940 but wasn't sure how much he was inflating the price. It's not too far away from the price you mention above so might just go for it. Thanks for the info.

The full price here for O Hira is actually $785, not quite $800. I am able to wrangle a small discount from the salesmen at Paris Gallery and could get the price down to about $710. But buying it elsewhere is probably going to cost more, as you found out, hednic. Perhaps this line will be made available in the U.S.

It would be a great day for fragrances if oud was gone and good sandalwood was back. Oud is great but most oud fragrances aren't. Great way to rationalize outrageous prices, though.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th April 2014 at 07:45 AM.

Hey guys, I posted this a while back. I've tried Kohl de Bahrain too.

Rose De Petra plunges straight into a rich, intense somewhat peppery rose, supported by fruity notes, and hints of the spices to come. BUT, don't be mislead by "fruity". These are no watery fruits. They are rich and rounded, like jewels. We are told that the fruits are Pomegranate and Lychee. These notes seem perfectly partnered with the rose. The opening does make me think of of another mysterious rose, Histoires de Parfums 1876, inspired by Mata Hari.

As the fragrance develops, the spices gain ground on the fruit and the fragrance calms and becomes drier and more mysterious. It strikes me as having a rose/saffron character although I don't see saffron listed. It is slightly peppery and there is cumin and cardamom and I think perhaps cinnamon too. I really love the mid development. It's perfectly pitched. The presence of the spices opens the door to masculine references and the fragrance is beautifully androgynous. It never becomes too sweet, or too aromatic, as some intense roses do.

As Rose de Petra is very new I'll try to put it into some kind of context. I've already mentioned the opening of HDP 1876, and I do think that it shares some notes or accords with that spicy rose, but it's by no means the same. Somehow it sits somewhere on the same spectrum as some of the Oud Roses, although it's not an Oud Rose. It's a fruity, spicy rose. It is not nearly as mineral as Rosam, not as intensely Oud as Rose D'Arabie, but the quality of the materials and the colour, the texture, the mood, the atmosphere of this fragrance shares something with these other wonderful roses. That's not a criticism. It's a compliment. As the fragrance continues to develop there is a dry woody Oudy accord in the drydown. Personally I prefer this fragrance once we are into the drier, spicier stage, once it's mysteries unfold, but I am sure that others will disagree and will get a lot from the brightly jewelled opening.

For me, Rose de Petra is wonderful. It is maybe not unique but it is a lovely interpretation of a mysterious rose. I find it to be calm and beautiful. Projection and longevity are about average I think.

The thread is here, http://www.basenotes.net/threads/344...hese?highlight=

will be giving 2022 homme a proper wear sometime next days.
    today i gave a second test to black gemstone. the listed opening note of lemon is much more than a lemon for me. it is more like a ... cherry. i don't really find any citrus. on my skin and to my senses the cherry remains dominant for the course of the scent, but it is never too much. i like it. reminds me of the smell of organic cherry concentrated juice, well blended with a woody background. i am not sure what is there... listed are cedar, resins, teak wood. i thought i smelled a faint leather for a while, might be coming from the teak wood, ... as i read about
    i am not sure how exactly myrrhe smells like... i might be smelling that too then, since i suspect incense but it is not frankincense (listed) in the style of amouage, or avignon/bois d'encens/sancti/cardinal to my nose.
    altogether very enjoyable. the way it emanates i believe a good projection is well guaranteed.
    no sweet tonka bean yet... luckily.
    classy scent, natural, well balanced, performs well eventhough maybe a bit too linear so far, the best cherry rendition i have smelled.
    Last edited by mspa; 12th April 2014 at 01:31 AM.

Banned

What's the general consensus as to which to which is the best masculine? Also does anybody know if they're using real oud or a synthetic substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    What's the general consensus as to which to which is the best masculine? Also does anybody know if they're using real oud or a synthetic substitute?
    what i have smelled so far is very unisex to me, including 2022 homme. i have not tried the ultra expensive oumma and o hira... these go down not the pocket but the account big time.

o hira... fossilized amber..... what the heck.... dinosaurs and parfum

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    From the six that my son has which I have tried, I think Oumma is quite masculine and my preferred.
    Last edited by hednic; 12th April 2014 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Thanks, Foustie! Yours was the review I had read before and forgotten where I'd seen it. I'm pretty much in agreement with you about the character of Rose de Petra.

I don't know if you could classify any of these as being either masculine or feminine. If you just smelled them, disregarding their names, marketing blather, and what SA's said, you probably feel that they are truly unisex.

There's nothing especially feminine about Kohl de Bahrein, Soleil de Jeddah, 2022 Woman, or Rose de Petra, and those might be the nicest of the bunch. Oumma, as hednic mentioned, is the driest and woodiest, so I suppose you could consider it the most traditionally masculine.

hednic, after your multiple recommendtions of oumma, finally i could not resist anymore but sign up for 10ml split... well, now i know the house and like it. from that point of view at least it is justified