Code of Conduct

Question Ebene - Pierre Balmain. A Masterpiece That Deserves More...

Whenever I wear Ebene I am always reminded of its sheer genius. Perfect blending, an incredible richness and - for an edt, the power and beauty of an extrait.
    I particularly admire the way the sweetness of the spearmint perfectly balances out the heavy dryness of the woods.
    Why is this fragrance hardly mentioned on basenotes ?
    The fragrance itself is not so old. It was released in 1983 and remained around for a long time until it finally got discontinued.
    The reviews here and on fragrantica verify its greatness, but they are few and far.
    For me personally, this fragrance is right up there with the likes of Patou pour Homme.
    I am saddened that it does not get more recognition.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Ebene - Pierre Balmain. A Masterpiece That Deserves More...

It is a bit odd that it flies a bit under the radar I am lucky to have a 150ml bottle of this and I personally think it's one of the best men's Balmain out there.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Are you talking about the original Ebene, right? Because an year or two ago i saw that Balmain had the intention of relaunching it. You could even found it on theri website, but then i never saw it to sell anywhere.

I had a bottle of the vintage one a time ago, but honestly it didn't suit me. I guess it looses the balance that you mentioned and i feel it, like Rochas Macassar, very dry and uncomfortable on my skin.

I still have a mini of it, but ended never wearing it anymore...

I think the reviews both here and on fragrantica and parfumo sum up the fragrance accurately. Anyone interested in this fragrance should check out the reviews. I'm just surprised there aren't more reviews and more discussions about this fragrance.
    @ rick. Thanks for replying. Too bad this one doesn't work for you. I do have the same problem as you regarding Macassar. I also have a problem with Yatagan. I find them both hard to wear, but that is not the case for me with Ebene because I find the sweetnes of the spearmint balances out the dryness of the woods. Over the years I have had several vintage bottles from different sources, but never a problem with the juice turning bad.
    I would suggest anyone testing this fragrance should be very careful on the dosage and spray/ dab the arm rather than the neck/ chest. The edt has the strength of an extrait. It's very powerful stuff !

David, i suspect that Balmain is not seem as an appealing house, so it doesn't have the allure of others. Too bad, because they have in their historical catalogue great masterpieces indeed. I need to try it again and see, maybe now i detect the spearmint best?
    I used to not be able to wear Yatagan in the past, but the current formulations are friendlier to my nose.
    You had luck having several Ebenes, is not a fragrance so easy to come by.
    Have you tried Balmain Jolie Madame? The vintage is all about leather and violets, very beautiful too.

Blog Entries

Rick, I might mention, I have had trouble with mini versions of all types of fragrances. I'll try the mini, think it sucks, then later I'll try the real thing and it's totally different, and usually better. I don't know why, but it seems they might be using inferior juice for advertising samples, even though it makes no sense. Either that, or they put the juice in the bottles and then subject them to heat when they are printed on.

Kumquat, but i had the bigger bottle before the mini, it was the scent on the regular bottle that i didn't enjoyed.

Well, maybe is this due to you having to dab the fragrance instead of spray it? Some people have this perception

Blog Entries

Ah, ok, well, in that case, I'm off base.

I'll have to give Ebene a try. I was very impressed by Miss Balmain recently, with - despite the name and pink packaging - smelt quite masculine to this nose. Balmain is often overlooked as a house, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    David, i suspect that Balmain is not seem as an appealing house, so it doesn't have the allure of others. Too bad, because they have in their historical catalogue great masterpieces indeed. I need to try it again and see, maybe now i detect the spearmint best?
    I used to not be able to wear Yatagan in the past, but the current formulations are friendlier to my nose.
    You had luck having several Ebenes, is not a fragrance so easy to come by.
    Have you tried Balmain Jolie Madame? The vintage is all about leather and violets, very beautiful too.
    Rick, I have the vintage Jolie Madam and love it. Also, the vintage Vent Vert is sensational....far superior to the latter versions. I also love the creamy "pure white soap" experience that is Ivoire.
    I am not a fan of BalMan. Too synthetic for me.
    For my nose Ebene is the undisputed king.
    I urge you to give it a few more tries and recommend not wearing it on the neck or chest because of it's sheer strength.
    Last edited by david; 17th March 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Blog Entries

From the descriptions, it sounds like you might like "Ivoire" . Definitely unisex. I will keep a look out for Ebene!

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/104...e-16th-of-June

My blog entry for "Ivoire".
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th March 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    From the descriptions, it sounds like you might like "Ivoire" . Definitely unisex. I will keep a look out for Ebene!

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/104...e-16th-of-June

My blog entry for "Ivoire".
    Thanks for this kumquat. I am also a fan of Ivoire, though I don't get the connection that some people make, saying that Ebene and Ivoire are twin fragrances. I do not find that Ivoire is the femminine variant of Ebene, or vice versa. To me they are two completely different fragrances that share nothing in common.

Because of this thread, I was thinking of testing this one out. Unfortunately, tracking down a sample seems a bit pricey. I hate finding an old gem and giving up on it because of unavailability.

Does anyone know the difference betweeen these different boxes/bottles? I presume one is the reissue from around 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Does anyone know the difference betweeen these different boxes/bottles? I presume one is the reissue from around 2010.

Yes Marais,
    the top photo of the white box with copper and black is the original vintage stuff. The photo underneath is a newer version. I am not sure if it was reformulated at this stage, in fact I would say probably not. I have had both editions and I find no/ hardly any difference between them. There was a recent revival which was drastically reformulated. I believe only a small batch was issued as a test and the new version failed miserably. I am wondering if the company is in financial difficulty because they have now stopped production of several of their classics, including Jolie Madame.
    The bottom photo is definitely not the 2010/ 2011 reformulated issue. It's possibly a late eighties re-design of the packaging.
    Last edited by david; 20th March 2014 at 06:48 PM.

I missed out on a miniature of Ebene a couple of weeks ago. I so wanted to try it as the reviews sound like it's just my sort of fragrance, but I was outbid and the only one I can find now is over 100 and that's way out of my price bracket.

Oh well. If you're lucky enough to own a bottle, please wear it and enjoy it for me too- thank you
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Yes Marais,
    the top photo of the white box with copper and black is the original vintage stuff. The photo underneath is a newer version. I am not sure if it was reformulated at this stage, in fact I would say probably not. I have had both editions and I find no/ hardly any difference between them. There was a recent revival which was drastically reformulated. I believe only a small batch was issued as a test and the new version failed miserably. I am wondering if the company is in financial difficulty because they have now stopped production of several of their classics, including Jolie Madame.
    The bottom photo is definitely not the 2010/ 2011 reformulated issue. It's possibly a late eighties re-design of the packaging.
    Thanks, David, I thought you would come up trumps! That lower box does have an 80s look about it. Off to Ebay again....

David, i have tried it again during this week, but since i was with a cold i ended not being able to completely register it. But it was interesting because i noticed a few things that on my first time went completely unnoticed:
    - There is something definitely fruity on the first moments on my skin. I don't know exactly what it is, but it says to my nose pineapple. I suspect it might be an aldehyde maybe?
    - There is indeed a very green and minty note. And it's inside this mint/green accord that relies the part that i dislike on Ebene and on many masculine fragrances of the 80's. I don't know exactly what, but it's something that smells to me like geranium on steroids. It's a very green, shiny, diffusive aroma which makes me think of radioactive green. It's something that many 80's fougeres have and currents ones doesn't.
    -After it starts to develop, it sounds modern to me, but complex. It's sweet, woody, spice, something that you could shape it and put into a cologne today. At this phase, from what i noticed i got lots of patchouli, amber and juniper.
    -It seems to be a fragrance with more details, so i need to try it again and pay attention to see if i can understand it better.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    David, i have tried it again during this week, but since i was with a cold i ended not being able to completely register it. But it was interesting because i noticed a few things that on my first time went completely unnoticed:
    - There is something definitely fruity on the first moments on my skin. I don't know exactly what it is, but it says to my nose pineapple. I suspect it might be an aldehyde maybe?
    - There is indeed a very green and minty note. And it's inside this mint/green accord that relies the part that i dislike on Ebene and on many masculine fragrances of the 80's. I don't know exactly what, but it's something that smells to me like geranium on steroids. It's a very green, shiny, diffusive aroma which makes me think of radioactive green. It's something that many 80's fougeres have and currents ones doesn't.
    -After it starts to develop, it sounds modern to me, but complex. It's sweet, woody, spice, something that you could shape it and put into a cologne today. At this phase, from what i noticed i got lots of patchouli, amber and juniper.
    -It seems to be a fragrance with more details, so i need to try it again and pay attention to see if i can understand it better.
    Thanks for your detailed description Rick. I hope you will try it again when your cold is gone. It's a good fragrance to wear on clothes. A dab on a sweater lasts for ages !

David, do you also get this fruity note at the opening too? It's very pleasant, it reminded me of one Jean Patou fragrance that i really like, Colony.

Love love love this vintage Balmain for men. The photos of those vintage bottles are almost making me tear up - they remind me of all that has been lost in the world of perfume. This was a scent that you could smell on a man and it would linger in your memory forever - real presence and force and personality.

Balmain Ebene is a special one, although not something I like unfortunately. To me it has a unisex feel to it along with some "urine" notes, imagine a thin Azzaro pour Homme with some spearmint and caraway added. This is not a safe blind buy in any way. In some ways it also remind me of Yatagan.
    Last edited by Rubirosa; 27th June 2014 at 04:34 PM.
    taxation is theft

Thanks for sharing. But I guess this goes for most Balmain fragrances- highly regarded among fragrance connoisseurs, collectors and/or aficionados, yet still widely underrated in comparison to their actual performance level.