Code of Conduct

Default My first Czech & a Speake, which should it be?

I finally stumbled on this line. I sampled a couple ( spraying testers, samples not available.) I appreciate what seems to be a naturalness to the scents. I will probably end up buying most of the offerings, but for now I want to make a solid decision as to which should be my first. I may even buy two. Cuba is almost a given, as I think it would do well in spring and summer and would be invigorating on nights out, especially on my upcoming trip to Greece this summer. However, the ones I keep debating over are Oxford & Cambridge and 88. A factor between these two would be longevity and projection, as I'm looking for initial value. Am I right in suspecting that 88 will perform best between these two florals???

Default Re: My first Czech & a Speake, which should it be?

Oxford & Cambridge is a excellent lavender scent that is easy to wear. I got about six hours out of it and it's the one I would recommend if you are new to the range.

No 88 is popular but is what I would class as a old world fragrance and not that contemporary. A dark rose scent, it reminds me of those rose joss sticks you can buy.

Cuba is a upmarket bay rum type of scent with tobacco, rum, mint etc and is C&S's way of capturing the smells of Cuba in a bottle. So it smells like Mojitos and Cuban tobacco. A lot of people cannot stand this fecal note that is in this. But if you have ever smelled the dry leaves of a Cuban cigar before you have lit it. That's what they were trying to capture.

Neroli - This smells very nice in a soapy kind of way. Reminds me of the free soap & scent you would get in a five star hotel in your room.

Vetiver Vert - opens with a blast of citrus of bergamot and mandarin and it feels very green. What I really like is the incense resin smell that it develops along with a sweet Sandalwood after the topnotes fade. The vetiver note is small and mixed in with the laurel and the sandalwood.

The only one I would advise to stay away from is Citrus Paradisi. A really awful grapefruit scent with something fecally unpleasant lurking in the background. It smells like a public restroom toilet that has been cleaned with detergent. A truly horrid fragrance, yuuukkk!

Cuba is my favorite of the the 3 that I have already acquired. I have better longevity with 88, but O&C is a great old school lavender. (Pun intended.)

Cuba, 88, O&C and Frankincense & Myrrh are all good offerings from this house and bottle-worthy
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Cuba or Frankincense & Myrrh would be my picks.

Love Oxford & Cambridge. My 2nd favorite Lavender scent.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Blog Entries

No. 88 is a dark spicy rose scent. Similar to Montale Black Aoud. but with more spice and nuance. This is a favorite. I wonder if it's been re formulated since I bought it 6 years ago.

Cuba and No 88.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

No 88 is what pts them on the map, but it is not for everyone. I love F&M and
    Neroli too.

I like the best "Oxford&Cambridge" from their line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The only one I would advise to stay away from is Citrus Paradisi. A really awful grapefruit scent with something fecally unpleasant lurking in the background. It smells like a public restroom toilet that has been cleaned with detergent. A truly horrid fragrance, yuuukkk!
    Citrus Paradisi is my favourite C&S. It's one for the Kouros fraction and your description might ring a bell or two.

No. 88 smells nice to me and would be my pick.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

88 for sure!

I love the Oxford & Cambridge scent too, but it doesn't last on me at all. I recently managed to get hold of the equivalent shaving soap and it too smells very good. Wonderful spicy Lavender scent with a heavenly oakmoss and sandalwood dry down.

I would suggest you try Neroli though. It's my benchmark Neroli scent and once a family favourite. It will work a treat in the Greek summer heat.

As Jack Hunter has said already, No 88 is a bit dated now, but nonetheless a dark rose scent with some nice spicy woody notes underneath. A long lasting scent with nuclear power! It can last up to a week on clothes...

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    No. 88 is a dark spicy rose scent. Similar to Montale Black Aoud. but with more spice and nuance. This is a favorite. I wonder if it's been re formulated since I bought it 6 years ago.
    I think that is Dark Rose, rather than 88. It's like a more wearable Black Aoud.

My fave is Frankincense & Myrrh. I love that one. O&C and Neroli are nice too. I share Jack's reservations re Citrus Paradisi, plus I get a foul 'open sewer' note in Cuba.

My favourites are Citrus Paradisi, Cuba and Oxford & Cambridge.

Absolutely underrated brand, each of their scents looks "ordinary" at first sight but they are all totally unique in their own way. Oxford & Cambridge is for me the best lavender ever (Pour un homme de Caron? No way!), and one of the best masculine scents around. Also Cuba is really good.

However if you ask them, they'll send you a nice gift set with all their scents (1 ml each), for pennies - I think some 5 pounds, basically they offer them for free and you just have to cover the shipping fee.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Recommending No. 88, Cuba and Neroli.

No.88, undoubtedly.

for swap/sale:

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If only one must be bought, and would be worn often, i would say Frankincense and Myrrh.

I prefer Oxford and Cambridge to Caron's pour un Homme, by a long mile, when it comes to lavenders.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hi dreamchaser. The Czeck and Speake website used to offer a full range sample pack, very inexpensive, and I think that they ship worldwide. You would need to check.

Oxford and Cambridge has a stand out lavender and peppermint accord which takes a full turn to that lovely drydown that Rum talks about. It has perfect projection too.

Yes, you are correct. It is Dark Rose. Sampled it on one arm and Montale Black Oud on the other. They smell very similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I think that is Dark Rose, rather than 88. It's like a more wearable Black Aoud.

My fave is Frankincense & Myrrh. I love that one. O&C and Neroli are nice too. I share Jack's reservations re Citrus Paradisi, plus I get a foul 'open sewer' note in Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    As Jack Hunter has said already, No 88 is a bit dated now, but nonetheless a dark rose scent with some nice spicy woody notes underneath. A long lasting scent with nuclear power! It can last up to a week on clothes...
    I bought a sample of C&S 88 about a year ago from The Perfumed Court. I am wondering if (1) I was sent something else by mistake (they have done that to me before with something else) or (2) It has been seriously reformulated.

What I smell is a very soapy rose - not "dark" at all. Does anyone else just get a light soapy rose from this? Wondering if people are talking about an original version or if I am smelling something totally different, or if people are being misled by the Gothic looking bottle it comes in.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I bought a sample of C&S 88 about a year ago from The Perfumed Court. I am wondering if (1) I was sent something else by mistake (they have done that to me before with something else) or (2) It has been seriously reformulated.

What I smell is a very soapy rose - not "dark" at all. Does anyone else just get a light soapy rose from this? Wondering if people are talking about an original version or if I am smelling something totally different, or if people are being misled by the Gothic looking bottle it comes in.
    This may be another sign of "The End Times", Another one bites the dust. :-(

'Soapy' isn't at all how I'd describe No.88, so perhaps something is amiss.
    It's a musky rose ( definitely redolent of certain incense / headshops / musk stick sweets), shot through with geranium.
    Very similar, but less well done, is Orlando by Jardins d'Ecrivains.

My choice would be Cuba (if it hasn't been reformulated), Frankincense and Myrrh, or Dark Rose.

summer means fireflys

I love Oxford & Cambridge and it has been on my wish list for while now. There is something so soothing and calming about the mint and lavander and the drydown is heavenly (just as rum said!).
    I've trademarked the color bleu

anyone know where to get a sample of oxford & Cambridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Unvisible View Post
    anyone know where to get a sample of oxford & Cambridge?
    They sell them from their website, although I do not know if they ship to USA. Otherwise, Decantshop can send samples of that - in various sizes too.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

Most of C & S fragrances do not disappoint, but my favorites are Neroli and Cuba. Cuba is challenging because of its somewhat fecal and sweaty dried tobacco leaves.

Cuba has some shrill animalics up front - smells like civet, though it isn't in the notes - but these die down quite quickly, after which it's seriously good (I like the challenging part as well, mind you).

I have just ordered a sample pack from them - it was £12.00 for 11 x 1ml samples plus shipping (£4.50)

Just a quick question - what does everyone find the longevity like of these fragrances? Whilst appreciating many fragrances, ones with poor longevity do not tend to make the wardrobe with me and I have heard that C&S maybe doesn't hang around too long? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    I have just ordered a sample pack from them - it was £12.00 for 11 x 1ml samples plus shipping (£4.50)

Just a quick question - what does everyone find the longevity like of these fragrances? Whilst appreciating many fragrances, ones with poor longevity do not tend to make the wardrobe with me and I have heard that C&S maybe doesn't hang around too long? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers
    I personally find their longevity good. The only C&S scent I actually wear quite often is Oxford & Cambridge and that has an undoubtedly great persistence, I even love the drydown more than the initial stages, and that lasts for hours, almost all day. I've tested the rest of the line with samples and I remember they were all good to this extent.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post

Cheers
    I bought a sample pack some time ago and still have a few left, also just got a sample of Spanish Cedar, but I’ll comment on that in the SC thread.

Of the ones I have so far tried Vetiver Vert had decent longevity for me, F & M didn’t, Cuba I have no idea as I washed it off. There was another I tried I think but can’t recall which it was so it must have been fairly bland to not even register a memory...... I still have Neroli, O & C and Citrus Paradiso to try, not sure if I’ll wear Dark Rose, doesn’t seem my type of thing.

Quite disappointed with them overall personally, I much prefer Floris, some of them have excellent longevity on me and are far more wearable. As stated above some of the C&S stuff can be a little challenging, and I’m not really into that.

I get between four to six hours on my open skin from most of the range. Though if I spray to my chest the scent usually sticks to my shirt and hangs around longer. Overall about average, not great but then not bad either.

I only wear Frankincense and Myrrh from their range and get decent longevity but low projection.

Paradiso for me -- a 'serious' citrus

Cuba and No.88.

Blog Entries

Has anyone tried No. 88 recently? Is it re formulated?