Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just sent Jean Paul Gaultier a very firm email. Do you think it will work/is justified?

I sent JPG an email via their website(I wish I had copy/pasted the contents to post here). To summarize, it began by voicing my slight displeasure over the reformulation. Although out of fear I have not given the reformulation too much attention(although I have worn it), I just hate the idea of a major alteration to the performance of my favorite fragrance of all-time. I went on to suggest that just as Classique is offered in an EDP concentration, that JPG owes it to the faithful fans of the original fragrance to also offer Le Male in an EDP concentration. I mentioned that myself, as well as many others, would surely pay a higher premium for this fragrance.

My question to you all: Do you think consumer suggestions (such as this one) carry any leverage whatsoever? Also, do you think my suggestion is a good one? Do you think a Le Male EDP would be a good addition? I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I will certainly share JPG's response with you all once one is given.

Default Re: Just sent Jean Paul Gaultier a very firm email. Do you think it will work/is justified?

I think they might acknowledge and thank you for your interest, comments and suggestion, but will ultimately fall on deaf ears. However, one can always be optimistic and hope.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Just sent Jean Paul Gaultier a very firm email. Do you think it will work/is justified?

Le Male edp? Isn't it already strong enough??

Just a regular email telling them what you want.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind.

In my opinion, a good decision. Hey, customer requirements, preferences and choices are what keeps their business going, besides Le Male EDP sounds promising.

Noble effort, but I agree that nothing is going to be done about it. The reform could have been done for a variety of reasons including government mandated regulations. I, too, feel the same way about reformulations....especially with Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme.

I'm sure they'll get right on it

I have had an issue with them..
    They reply like they are going to resole it and then you hear nothing..

Every email from the web they say they are passing it on to someone else and they never reply..
    Their CS is the pits IMHO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    No doubt. Giant corporations adore being informed by their customers.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

It's good to contact them. That being said, I hope you realize they do not like to or even want to reformulate a fragrance - especially one as iconic and loved as Le Male. I have absolutely no doubt that it was a business decision. And you can bet the decision was hated by many if not most who are in any way involved with Le Male. In almost any business, there will be a huge gap between the creatives and the number crunchers.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Yea.
    Pity you didn't think to tell them how you'd like the bottle to look while you were at it

With a fragrance company, I don't think your email will be taken seriously.

These kinds of emails are taken into consideration with department stores. But even better, companies like Kraft, Entenmann's or Colgate-Palmolive absolutely LOVE feedback like this. They will send you tons of coupons to get free or discounted items.

Fragrance companies don't welcome feedback or questions, the same goes with fashion companies. They're just too cool for matters like that.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 16th March 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Le Male edp? Isn't it already strong enough??
    It was reformulated around 2012, its significantly weaker now.

I believe this is the case. Most large corporations put at least some weight on customer feedback. For every customer comment there are hundreds that feel the same way and never say a thing. But I don't believe fashion companies give a rats behind what customers think until their bottom line starts to hurt. I don't think the Le Male reformulation hurts them enough to have any impact at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    With a fragrance company, I don't think your email will be taken seriously.

These kinds of emails are taken into consideration with department stores. But even better, companies like Kraft, Entenmann's or Colgate-Palmolive absolutely LOVE feedback like this. They will send you tons of coupons to get free or discounted items.

Fragrance companies don't welcome feedback or questions, the same goes with fashion companies. They're just too cool for matters like that.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Parfum Sacré by Caron

They like feedback.

I've dealt with JPG's support before. I would not have gotten anything done had I not pushed the envelope. They forward your request to someone local, then forget about you. If you want anything done, you really need to cause a ruckus or bring attention to yourself.

So to answer your question, do I think a firm e-mail will do anything? No. Because they have no incentive to do anything.

One single comment from a user will usually not create much of an internal buzz, but if they begin to receive a lot of requests / comments about a single topic, they will generally take notice. Same with most companies in almost all industries.

So, round up a few hundred of your closest friends, and have them write letters too - you will have a much better chance. But probably not about the reformulation thing - for that, you would have to direct your correspondence elsewhere.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

either way you did the right thing by voicing your opinion

Blog Entries

All these companies do is reformulate stuff and ruin it. I wonder what is the average length of time before a perfume is reformulated.

Will your email produce results? That's laughable... NO!!!!

That'd be like me emailing them asking they make something that actually smells masculine!!!!! They're not in the business of catering to anything or anyone but the norm in this industry and doing so as cheaply as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    That'd be like me emailing them asking they make something that actually smells masculine!!!!! .
    Could you define what 'actually smells masculine' actually means?

And, O.P., sure - why not write to the company? You never know what might happen . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 17th March 2014 at 02:04 PM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I'm always in favor of writing to companies, politicians, and other organizations with complaints--but also to cheer them on when they've done well.

I figure at the very least a polite and brief letter does no harm, and you feel better for getting something off your chest. It may not lead to the outcome you want, but then again, strange things do happen. Even massive corporations take complaints seriously, and I've seen some interesting responses to letters and emails like yours.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Glad you did it; I am a fan of speaking one's mind to those that make the products we use. It is hard to say if it will be used or not; it really depends on the quality of their internal communications. You never know, your idea might be something someone has considered, or lead to a study; things happen. Even better; spend some time find out someone in their "creative" department and see if you can have a phone call with them. I know some will scoff at this, but I have had some good conversations over the years of this sort. It is your favorite, you are loyal, and you are the type of person that someone there wants to talk to (although, not always the person responding to emails!).

BTW, the glib responses of the elk of "I am sure they will get right on it" are just useless. Add something or say nothing, IMHO. You can say it will have no impact, but to be crappy and snide adds nothing and is, frankly, disrespectful to an honest, sincere question.

Now try and get a job with them

Blog Entries

By all means, let them know you're unhappy. It's just that, realistically, does anyone think the company will stop what they are doing and put the perfume back to how it was before? Look at what Dior did to 'Miss Dior' and 'Miss Dior Cherie'. No one even knows which perfume they're getting. I'm sure they got lots of questions and complaints. It made no difference to them. They did it for some strange reason.

Dear Mr. (my last name),

Thank you for your email.

We have forwarded your request to the concerned department which will come back to you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Massimiliano,
    Consumer Service
    Jean Paul Gaultier Parfums
    I will respond to this email in 2 days if I don't get another reply

We need to realize that customer has the power. They need us. So many of us don't even try and just go along with whatever they push on us. If they were to get thousands of emails saying similar things and watch their sales drop they would defenitly pay attention. Demand quality and stop buying their products until they listen. Sending emails, voicing your opinions/wants/needs is always good, never stop doing that because you think you can't make a difference. Paying customer is king

*gets off soapbox*

An important and influential person in the perfume industry said the best thing you can do when it comes to reformulations is to write to the perfume houses. I think it's the fiftieth time I've said it here on Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I hope you realize they do not like to or even want to reformulate a fragrance - especially one as iconic and loved as Le Male. I have absolutely no doubt that it was a business decision. And you can bet the decision was hated by many if not most who are in any way involved with Le Male. In almost any business, there will be a huge gap between the creatives and the number crunchers.
    Exactly. Reformulations aren't done because the nose who created the scent suddenly went back for no reason and thought they'd improve it. Le Male sells millions of bottles every year and is (or was) the top-selling men's fragrance in Europe. They're done to top-selling fragrances due to IFRA regs or due to changes in price or availability of the large quantities of ingredients they need to produce it.

Not only is a single concerned customer relatively unimportant to a large perfumer, but even if they did care, they certainly wouldn't undo what is most certainly a necessary business decision just because of a vocal minority. I'd be interested in sales numbers of reformulated classics like LeMale, Cool Water, DHI, etc. I'm willing to bet sales don't change much at all. We're a relatively few customers here.

If you want to support a perfumer who will be less business-driven about refomulation, buy niche. Otherwise it's difficult to be surprised when business demands change the way you must sell millions of bottles. If even someone like Bond tries to stomp out small perfumers and generally is pretty corporate, imagine JPG, which is owned by Puig (a company that had €1.5B in revenue last year) and has fragrances produced by Shiseido, basically the Proctor & Gamble of Japan.