Code of Conduct

Default Just sent Jean Paul Gaultier a very firm email. Do you think it will work/is justified?

I sent JPG an email via their website(I wish I had copy/pasted the contents to post here). To summarize, it began by voicing my slight displeasure over the reformulation. Although out of fear I have not given the reformulation too much attention(although I have worn it), I just hate the idea of a major alteration to the performance of my favorite fragrance of all-time. I went on to suggest that just as Classique is offered in an EDP concentration, that JPG owes it to the faithful fans of the original fragrance to also offer Le Male in an EDP concentration. I mentioned that myself, as well as many others, would surely pay a higher premium for this fragrance.

My question to you all: Do you think consumer suggestions (such as this one) carry any leverage whatsoever? Also, do you think my suggestion is a good one? Do you think a Le Male EDP would be a good addition? I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I will certainly share JPG's response with you all once one is given.

Default Re: Just sent Jean Paul Gaultier a very firm email. Do you think it will work/is justified?

I think they might acknowledge and thank you for your interest, comments and suggestion, but will ultimately fall on deaf ears. However, one can always be optimistic and hope.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Just sent Jean Paul Gaultier a very firm email. Do you think it will work/is justified?

Le Male edp? Isn't it already strong enough??

Just a regular email telling them what you want.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind.

In my opinion, a good decision. Hey, customer requirements, preferences and choices are what keeps their business going, besides Le Male EDP sounds promising.

Noble effort, but I agree that nothing is going to be done about it. The reform could have been done for a variety of reasons including government mandated regulations. I, too, feel the same way about reformulations....especially with Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme.

I'm sure they'll get right on it

Basenotes Plus

I have had an issue with them..
    They reply like they are going to resole it and then you hear nothing..

Every email from the web they say they are passing it on to someone else and they never reply..
    Their CS is the pits IMHO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    No doubt. Giant corporations adore being informed by their customers.

It's good to contact them. That being said, I hope you realize they do not like to or even want to reformulate a fragrance - especially one as iconic and loved as Le Male. I have absolutely no doubt that it was a business decision. And you can bet the decision was hated by many if not most who are in any way involved with Le Male. In almost any business, there will be a huge gap between the creatives and the number crunchers.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Yea.
    Pity you didn't think to tell them how you'd like the bottle to look while you were at it

With a fragrance company, I don't think your email will be taken seriously.

These kinds of emails are taken into consideration with department stores. But even better, companies like Kraft, Entenmann's or Colgate-Palmolive absolutely LOVE feedback like this. They will send you tons of coupons to get free or discounted items.

Fragrance companies don't welcome feedback or questions, the same goes with fashion companies. They're just too cool for matters like that.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 16th March 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Le Male edp? Isn't it already strong enough??
    It was reformulated around 2012, its significantly weaker now.

I believe this is the case. Most large corporations put at least some weight on customer feedback. For every customer comment there are hundreds that feel the same way and never say a thing. But I don't believe fashion companies give a rats behind what customers think until their bottom line starts to hurt. I don't think the Le Male reformulation hurts them enough to have any impact at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    With a fragrance company, I don't think your email will be taken seriously.

These kinds of emails are taken into consideration with department stores. But even better, companies like Kraft, Entenmann's or Colgate-Palmolive absolutely LOVE feedback like this. They will send you tons of coupons to get free or discounted items.

Fragrance companies don't welcome feedback or questions, the same goes with fashion companies. They're just too cool for matters like that.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

They like feedback.

I've dealt with JPG's support before. I would not have gotten anything done had I not pushed the envelope. They forward your request to someone local, then forget about you. If you want anything done, you really need to cause a ruckus or bring attention to yourself.

So to answer your question, do I think a firm e-mail will do anything? No. Because they have no incentive to do anything.

One single comment from a user will usually not create much of an internal buzz, but if they begin to receive a lot of requests / comments about a single topic, they will generally take notice. Same with most companies in almost all industries.

So, round up a few hundred of your closest friends, and have them write letters too - you will have a much better chance. But probably not about the reformulation thing - for that, you would have to direct your correspondence elsewhere.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brckner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

either way you did the right thing by voicing your opinion

Blog Entries

All these companies do is reformulate stuff and ruin it. I wonder what is the average length of time before a perfume is reformulated.

Will your email produce results? That's laughable... NO!!!!

That'd be like me emailing them asking they make something that actually smells masculine!!!!! They're not in the business of catering to anything or anyone but the norm in this industry and doing so as cheaply as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    That'd be like me emailing them asking they make something that actually smells masculine!!!!! .
    Could you define what 'actually smells masculine' actually means?

And, O.P., sure - why not write to the company? You never know what might happen . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 17th March 2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    ― Isaac Asimov

I'm always in favor of writing to companies, politicians, and other organizations with complaints--but also to cheer them on when they've done well.

I figure at the very least a polite and brief letter does no harm, and you feel better for getting something off your chest. It may not lead to the outcome you want, but then again, strange things do happen. Even massive corporations take complaints seriously, and I've seen some interesting responses to letters and emails like yours.

Basenotes Plus

Glad you did it; I am a fan of speaking one's mind to those that make the products we use. It is hard to say if it will be used or not; it really depends on the quality of their internal communications. You never know, your idea might be something someone has considered, or lead to a study; things happen. Even better; spend some time find out someone in their "creative" department and see if you can have a phone call with them. I know some will scoff at this, but I have had some good conversations over the years of this sort. It is your favorite, you are loyal, and you are the type of person that someone there wants to talk to (although, not always the person responding to emails!).

BTW, the glib responses of the elk of "I am sure they will get right on it" are just useless. Add something or say nothing, IMHO. You can say it will have no impact, but to be crappy and snide adds nothing and is, frankly, disrespectful to an honest, sincere question.

Now try and get a job with them

Blog Entries

By all means, let them know you're unhappy. It's just that, realistically, does anyone think the company will stop what they are doing and put the perfume back to how it was before? Look at what Dior did to 'Miss Dior' and 'Miss Dior Cherie'. No one even knows which perfume they're getting. I'm sure they got lots of questions and complaints. It made no difference to them. They did it for some strange reason.

Dear Mr. (my last name),

Thank you for your email.

We have forwarded your request to the concerned department which will come back to you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Massimiliano,
    Consumer Service
    Jean Paul Gaultier Parfums
    I will respond to this email in 2 days if I don't get another reply

We need to realize that customer has the power. They need us. So many of us don't even try and just go along with whatever they push on us. If they were to get thousands of emails saying similar things and watch their sales drop they would defenitly pay attention. Demand quality and stop buying their products until they listen. Sending emails, voicing your opinions/wants/needs is always good, never stop doing that because you think you can't make a difference. Paying customer is king

*gets off soapbox*

An important and influential person in the perfume industry said the best thing you can do when it comes to reformulations is to write to the perfume houses. I think it's the fiftieth time I've said it here on Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I hope you realize they do not like to or even want to reformulate a fragrance - especially one as iconic and loved as Le Male. I have absolutely no doubt that it was a business decision. And you can bet the decision was hated by many if not most who are in any way involved with Le Male. In almost any business, there will be a huge gap between the creatives and the number crunchers.
    Exactly. Reformulations aren't done because the nose who created the scent suddenly went back for no reason and thought they'd improve it. Le Male sells millions of bottles every year and is (or was) the top-selling men's fragrance in Europe. They're done to top-selling fragrances due to IFRA regs or due to changes in price or availability of the large quantities of ingredients they need to produce it.

Not only is a single concerned customer relatively unimportant to a large perfumer, but even if they did care, they certainly wouldn't undo what is most certainly a necessary business decision just because of a vocal minority. I'd be interested in sales numbers of reformulated classics like LeMale, Cool Water, DHI, etc. I'm willing to bet sales don't change much at all. We're a relatively few customers here.

If you want to support a perfumer who will be less business-driven about refomulation, buy niche. Otherwise it's difficult to be surprised when business demands change the way you must sell millions of bottles. If even someone like Bond tries to stomp out small perfumers and generally is pretty corporate, imagine JPG, which is owned by Puig (a company that had 1.5B in revenue last year) and has fragrances produced by Shiseido, basically the Proctor & Gamble of Japan.

The main point of my email was to either A)Get the idea in their heads, because it would be a good idea and B)See if something regarding this is in the works.

A lot of good, popular, commercially successful fragrances have come out with EDP concentrations. Why not Le Male?

Your best bet to stock up on vintage bottles and forget about it the rejuice.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Your best bet to stock up on vintage bottles and forget about it the rejuice.
    Don't mean to derail this thread, but what is the longest estimated time that a well taken care of (stored in dark room, cool even temp) perfume can last? Is there more we can do to preserve them other than what I've mentioned?

Have no problem with the reformulated version...to answer the OP's question, probably find that most companies will blame the IFRA restrictions vice the company bottom line decision to reformulate.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Have no problem with the reformulated version...to answer the OP's question, probably find that most companies will blame the IFRA restrictions vice the company bottom line decision to reformulate.
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    No doubt. Giant corporations adore being informed by their customers.
    "Shut up and buy what we offer you, worthless consumer drone."

sent from a mobile device - please excuse any swelling mistakes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

Do not bother emailing them back it is a waist of time..
    If you write a heated letter they will not reply at all..

I have sent about 6 emails and had one replied to once.
    They said they will replace my bottle and then asked what country I lived in and said they were forwarding the email to their agent..
    I have yet to hear from them months later and only get replies from Massimiliano saying he is forwarding my email..
    Their CS is a JOKE!

To answer your question, no they are not gonna make Le Male in perfume strength, just because of one upset customer. Also I don't think Le Male perfume would sell simply because of the label perfume on it. Men who don't know about fragrances associate the word perfume with women, (and cologne with men for that matter), so odds are they will see "Le Male Perfume" and write it off and pass right by it, if I had to guess.

I don't think the word "perfume" is very profitable amongst men's fragrances (in America). Take La Nuit and L'homme in their perfume concentrations, I don't think their sales did very well. Again we are talking average Joe buyers/browsers, not the connoisseurs like you and I, who go into the store and already know we want the "perfume".

So it basically comes down to demand and what people want. If people show enough interest, and they see an increase in sale from their already steady sales, then I'd say it's possible. Le Male in its current formula is probably already still strong enough to most consumers, so I don't see it happening.

Hell I wish it could have happened to Fahrenheit, but unfortunately IRFA has their rules and regulations, and Fahrenheit still sells extremely well. While they may have Fahrenheit "Parfum", we all know it isn't a perfume version of Fahrenheit.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Your shrill cries for quality control will fall on programmed circuitry that will generate you a nice response thanking you for your interest and they'll pass along your concerns, which will ultimately land in oblivion.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Its good that you sent that mail to them if more people were like you and bombard the companys with mails maybe we could change something instead of just ranting on forums.

Basenotes Plus

I have to agree with the poster below. I was recently in my favorite Neiman Marcus, and my SA was helping me find a particular bottle of something and said "well, let's go over to the men's section"....I stopped and said "I thought we were already in the men's section"....but no, I was in the cosmetics department and they have a separate area that is ALL MEN with no perfumes or other cosmetics preset...lol....with pretty much a small selection of male fragrances for the gentlemen who are not secure enough in their masculinity to shop in the "girl's department" -- heavens no

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    To answer your question, no they are not gonna make Le Male in perfume strength, just because of one upset customer. Also I don't think Le Male perfume would sell simply because of the label perfume on it. Men who don't know about fragrances associate the word perfume with women, (and cologne with men for that matter), so odds are they will see "Le Male Perfume" and write it off and pass right by it, if I had to guess.

I don't think the word "perfume" is very profitable amongst men's fragrances (in America). Take La Nuit and L'homme in their perfume concentrations, I don't think their sales did very well. Again we are talking average Joe buyers/browsers, not the connoisseurs like you and I, who go into the store and already know we want the "perfume".

So it basically comes down to demand and what people want. If people show enough interest, and they see an increase in sale from their already steady sales, then I'd say it's possible. Le Male in its current formula is probably already still strong enough to most consumers, so I don't see it happening.

Hell I wish it could have happened to Fahrenheit, but unfortunately IRFA has their rules and regulations, and Fahrenheit still sells extremely well. While they may have Fahrenheit "Parfum", we all know it isn't a perfume version of Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxxy View Post
    Don't mean to derail this thread, but what is the longest estimated time that a well taken care of (stored in dark room, cool even temp) perfume can last? Is there more we can do to preserve them other than what I've mentioned?
    I bought Le Male splash after-shave about 15 years ago and it still smells great.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

Not all men's EdPs are niche or low-volume. Acqua di Gio Essenza is an Eau de Parfum, SAs market it that way and mention the improved strength aspect, and it sells very well in the US.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Hey Jonny..a huge le male fan here. Reformulated le male is still fantastic IMO. In fact, its better suited for dates now than the original ever was. But for clubbing, the original wins hands down. EdP sounds interesting, but i doubt if it will ever see the light of day.

On a completely unrelated note, today i bought a vintage Le Male (early 2010, unused) bottle for $35 from a seller here. You jelly yet?

It's almost like a protest, but however in this case only one person showed up.

By the way the picture you have looks like Le Male Intense , or Le Male Noir

If nothing else, you voiced your opinion. I, like many, agree that not much will be done. At least you did your part.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Not all men's EdPs are niche or low-volume. Acqua di Gio Essenza is an Eau de Parfum, SAs market it that way and mention the improved strength aspect, and it sells very well in the US.

I see what you're saying. Although it may be an EDP, it is not marketed as one. What I mean is that, they don't say it in the name when trying to sell it, it's simply Acqua di Gio Essenza. The term "perfume" in men's fragrances is not profitable. A girl I dated who works at Sephora says that L'homme and La Nuit with "Parfum" in their names, sold very poorly, and the L'homme version which is fairly new, is already off their shelves.

I don't think Le Male, would sell well to the average Joe, with "parfum/perfume" in the name. Especially with it being one of the ultimate Alpha Male fragrances, and having a bottle to appear like a cut male physique. It would never sell as a "perfume".
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

They can call it 'L'Absolue Mle'. Problem solved.

I'm pessimistic about it. They might reply politely thanking for your interest, that's all, that's my guess.

edit: oops they replied already
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dear Mr. (my last name),

We are pleased to come back to you regarding your request you made by mail and we thank you for your interest in the Parfums Jean Paul Gaultier.

We strictly implement the regulations in favour of the development and the insertion of our cosmetic products in the market. In accordance with the European Directive and IFRA codes for fragrances as well as in the interest of improving our products for our consumers, some of our products can be reformulated.

However, we strive to preserve the olfactory signature of our products if they are reformulated.

In order to best satisfy your request, we are pleased to suggest you to discover our LE MALE TERRIBLE Eau de Toilette Extrme which is available on the Sephora’s website.

We wish you a nice trip on jeanpaulgaultier.com.

Sincerely,

Massimiliano,
    Consumer Service
    Jean Paul Gaultier Parfums
    Sigh. Really? Le Male Terrible?

They did take the time to answer which in itself is good. Just not the answer you were probably expecting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I do now, however, have a craving to give Le Male Terrible more of a try. I know it is not what I am looking for as far as an intense version of the original, but hey. why not!

My guess is ifra came down on le male in 2011 after news of white musk content was released. Then, 2012 sometime, it became what it is now.

Le male terrible is only decent, but the best of the other le male flankers.