Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: How often do you compliment a stranger's fragrance?

Sure. Usually women and usually spontaneously. It's not something I think about but if someone suddenly smells good I might make a comment. I don't think I'd have a problem complimenting a guy, but I just very rarely come across a guy that smells good, or I don't think about it.

But I have to work on accepting compliments more graciously. When someone tells me I smell good, my initial reaction is always "oh, do I have too much on? It's not too strong, is it?" The next time someone says something I'm just going to say "thank you" and move on.

EDIT: Just re-read the thread title and realized I missed the word "stranger's" the first time around. So in that case, never.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 17th March 2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Check out my current NICHE SALE, you can't beat these prices!

Never. Unless it's a close friend and I'd only be doing it to satisfy my own ego by correctly guessing the frag

Basenotes Junkie

Never, although I often think I should. Case in point, the woman sat next to me on the train this morning was wearing Millesime Imperial. I'm sure of it. It was radiating off her as well which made for a pleasant journey. I would like to have paid a much deserved compliment but didn't probably down to awkward British social conventions.
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 17th March 2014 at 12:30 PM.

I get them all the time when wearing Lelabo's Santal 33 or Tom Ford's Noir de Noir. The reactions usually are " what's the lovely / intense perfume you are wearing ?"

If I recognize a scent that I admire on another, I don't compliment but I use to compliment but not no more I just chuckle : if I intensely admire a scent that I don't recognize I do compliment for the sake knowledge ...who doesn't honestly like a compliment and if the opportunity and right situation arises ..then I will compliment as I'm not a selfish person ; btw an honest compliment could make some ones day brighter, I hope so
    Last edited by magnus611; 17th March 2014 at 12:34 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Only one time I can recall, and it ended up having an interesting back story. But to make a long story short, I was in the Sky Club at JFK, and there was a young man sitting next to me who turned out to be a Saudi living in Paris. I don't recall what he was wearing now, but it was terrific.

Never. I don't smell much that is impressive, or on the street I can't tell where it is coming from, so I keep my compliments for those I'm on hugging terms with.
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

1) Yes

2) No
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....
    Currently wearing: Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Rarely

If I like how they smell I will. With women I usually do because I want to know the name of what they are wearing and with men same thing, or yes sometimes to "hit" on them and break the ice. Or because they just smell good and it's nice to let them know, it probably makes their day a little better. Different reasons.

I don't mind getting compliments from either sex as long as it's respectful.

Oh and I do think its a lil weird for a guy to compliment another guy on how good he smells, especially if they do it just to compliment them and not to ask the name of fragrance they are wearing. Maybe it's silly but that's what I honestly think.
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 17th March 2014 at 11:38 PM.

1) Yes
    2) Usually I just ask what it is. If I liked the scent, I would probably compliment the fragrance itself, "That is a great scent." rather than "You smell great." For me, that avoids the whole awkwardness of the compliment in cases where either a person is embarrassed to be complimented or misconstrues the compliment as a come on.

Most recently a male airline steward walked down the aisle and I smelled a nice, dry cologne that was obviously quality. I found myself wondering how long ago he applied, what it was, and if he could smell it himself (wasn't too powerful, but definitely had sillage).

Before that, I noticed a man I work with was wearing a quite sweet aquatic, also enjoyable. I made a mental note but didn't say anything. I work in an environment where fragrances are a no-no, so this was why it was notable.

Before that, a man I work with who is also a friend and who is quite sophisticated in his personal style and grooming was wearing a woodsy cologne when he met me for dinner. He had obviously recently sprayed as it was quite strong. I didn't say anything at the time. I assumed it was some ultra expensive niche fragrance. Weeks later, fragrance came up in conversation I told him I noticed him wearing cologne and asked what it was. It was actually A&F Woods, the only thing he likes to wear.

So apparently, my detect to compliment ratio is 0/3 initially and 1/3 with a long delay...

Never

I am way too shy for that s**t lol. The closest I'll ever come is telling someone that they smell nice, but I'll pretty much never say "hey, that (insert fragrance name) smells really good on you".

1)Yes! I won't chase them on the street, but if we're waiting on the footpath or in an elevator or a coffee queue together, I'll say "I like your perfume, what is it?" (if I'm saying that to a guy, I'll change "perfume" to "cologne" or "scent".)
    2) Whenever I smell something I like? Which, to be honest, isn't that often. People don't wear scent to work these days, and guys rarely wear scent.

Although I did have one experience with the secretary of the company I work for this week. I commented on her perfume, she told me that it was Clinique Elixir Aromatique and then I looked it up and realised that it was a chypre. OF COURSE I liked it. My preference for chypres is strong!

don't get compliments from strangers, i would not compliment a stranger!
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethiel View Post
    1)Yes! I won't chase them on the street, but if we're waiting on the footpath or in an elevator or a coffee queue together, I'll say "I like your perfume, what is it?" (if I'm saying that to a guy, I'll change "perfume" to "cologne" or "scent".)
    2) Whenever I smell something I like? Which, to be honest, isn't that often. People don't wear scent to work these days, and guys rarely wear scent.

Although I did have one experience with the secretary of the company I work for this week. I commented on her perfume, she told me that it was Clinique Elixir Aromatique and then I looked it up and realised that it was a chypre. OF COURSE I liked it. My preference for chypres is strong!
    Plus, once you are tuned into AE, you can't miss it, it leaves such a wake of scent behind. I was once at an outdoor antiques fair with my wife, a lady in her 50s crossed our path up ahead, and when we got there a few seconds later, it was unmistakably AE that I could smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once in a while.

Basenotes Plus

It's pretty rare, but if I smell something good on someone regardless of gender, I will compliment them if the occasion is right. TPO!

I'll only compliment friends & subordinates.
    for swap/sale:

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    It's pretty rare, but if I smell something good on someone regardless of gender, I will compliment them if the occasion is right. TPO!
    Not very rare here, but this sums up what i would do, and when.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

If its a guy it would have to be something I never smelled before,its way easier to compliment a woman,it just is.

Every now and then, but it's usually in a restaurant, an elevator or jiu-jitsu class (being that close to sweaty people makes me want encourage the use of fragrance).

I used to but my friends told me that they themselves don't mind it, but others might (their nice way of telling me most people think I'm weird)

Blog Entries

My husband says he smelled something he liked on a stranger. I say- Why didn't you ask her what it was? I'd really like to know. (Me, that is).
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant

Only to girls. Never to guys including my friends. If my friends smells bad I just tell them 'YOU STINK'.

I've complimented 3 guys since this post. I think the easiest way to compliment someone is to flat guess what they're wearing. Instead of just saying "You smell good," that would seem awkward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I've complimented 3 guys since this post. I think the easiest way to compliment someone is to flat guess what they're wearing. Instead of just saying "You smell good," that would seem awkward.

Good idea. Just hope he's not insulted by your guess.
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant

Basenotes Plus

I give compliments because as everyone knows on BN, I love getting them....I don't have any problem walking up to someone, male or female, and saying they smell great....Usually, I ask what they are wearing because I want to get that same fragrance so perhaps a little selfishness is involved too...lol...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR SUMMER (HOT):
    1.) MFK Pluriel for him
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Guerlain L'eau
    4.) Anat Fritz Tzora
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Dior Homme Eau
    7.) Invasion Barbare
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Escentric 02

If it smells good I ask them what it is. If it's a woman wearing some exhilarating floral, or Mitsouko, vintage Cabochard, stuff like that, I tell them emphatically how great it is then allow my world to expand. Few things are better than smelling great perfume on a provocative woman with some serious attitude.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th June 2014 at 04:38 AM.

A stranger? Wow...can't remember if I have. That's actually surprising to me. I may have asked a Nordie's employee once.