Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How often do you compliment a stranger's fragrance?

2 part question

1) Do you come across good smelling strangers?

2) If so, do you compliment them?

I've come across some good smelling people, but I rarely give a compliment. I usually only compliment how my friends smell.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 16th March 2014 at 11:01 PM.

Default Re: How often do you compliment a stranger's fragrance?

Never.

I only ever compliment women (the opposite sex) but do it often. People love to hear that they smell good in the same sense as people like to be told they look good. Women love these compliments, especially if its a long time after they applied, they tend to be very surprised that anyone can smell anything.

Rarely to a stranger and if so to the opposite sex.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

So you guys will compliment a woman on her fragrance, but never a man? Why not, don't men enjoy compliments too?

Never... but will make an exception if I ever smell Angel on a women.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

1) While not too frequently, yes

2) Much likelier for me to compliment someone I know, also because a fragrance related conversation (including more details about the name, the house etc. of a fragrance enjoyed, admired and/or complimented) comes more natural afterwards.

Never have. Probably never would.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privť - Oud Royal
    8. BrŁckner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I havea few times, usually just keep it to myself.

Dependent

If I can come up with a way to say it without coming across as weird, every time. I tend to give more compliments to other guys because most women think you're trying to hit on them if you compliment them. I think it's odd that there's a thread with over a million views about compliments and which scents get you the most, yet ppl are sheepish about giving them. Also complimenting a man on his fragrance won't turn you into a homosexual.

byandthrough

I've done it a few times. One was wearing Deisel Fuel for Life (which he confirmed after I guessed what it was, and then was shocked that I even knew the name or recognized the smell), and another wasn't wearing anything. Just deodorant and natural body aroma (not body ODOR). Other than that, not really. It took me quite a bit to make those comments, and I felt weird doing it. Most of the people I work with that I don't know all wear this roll-on white musk oil that smells terrible, and I've never had the courage to go the opposite direction and tell them they freaking reek.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    If I can come up with a way to say it without coming across as weird, every time. I tend to give more compliments to other guys because most women think you're trying to hit on them if you compliment them. I think it's odd that there's a thread with over a million views about compliments and which scents get you the most, yet ppl are sheepish about giving them. Also complimenting a man on his fragrance won't turn you into a homosexual.
    That's interesting because I've got the opposite experience. Although I'm an extremely aloof person and that comes across when I talk to people. When it comes to a female I just tell her she smells awesome with a very uninterested look on my face, then I turn or walk away to continue about my business. Or I immediately change the subject back to whatever it may have been. But I am an amazing conversationalist.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    That's interesting because I've got the opposite experience. Although I'm an extremely aloof person and that comes across when I talk to people. When it comes to a female I just tell her she smells awesome with a very uninterested look on my face, then I turn or walk away to continue about my business. Or I immediately change the subject back to whatever it may have been. But I am an amazing conversationalist.
    I should have worded my statement better. I don't wanna convey the message that ALL women do that, it's just where I'm from. It may be easier in other areas to compliment a woman. Most women in NYC are pretty stuck up so most of the time I'm careful

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    I should have worded my statement better. I don't wanna convey the message that ALL women do that, it's just where I'm from. It may be easier in other areas to compliment a woman. Most women in NYC are pretty stuck up so most of the time I'm careful
    Yeah, I'm from NYC too, Preston is not lying. LOL!!!

I compliment both men and women, and both strangers and friends - I know I like to get compliments and I just figure everyone does at least now and then - have run across a couple of things I ended up buying because they smelled so good on someone else.

I almost never smell scent on anyone around me. It's a shame really. Would I say something? actually yes, I would particularly if it smelled 'niche-y' and I thought it could start an interesting conversation.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I almost never smell scent on anyone around me. It's a shame really. Would I say something? actually yes, I would particularly if it smelled 'niche-y' and I thought it could start an interesting conversation.
    I agree with this exactly.

I compliment anyone anytime I like their perfume. I chased down guy once, he was totally flattered. He said "thanks man, no one ever notices". It ended up being my first encounter with coromandel.

Everyone liked to be complimented

sadly, i rarely come across people who smell good enough to compliment--when i do, i will often compliment women--it is hard for a guy to compliment other guyd without it seeming wierd. sad but true!

I have come across a stranger who smelled good. And I complimented them if I could.

I was once came across a guy who wore Black Aoud and it suits him well. And another guy who wore Black to Black with just right amount, complimented.

There's so many guy who wears Creed, But I don't think they smells good on them so I pass,

I mostly compliment women because it's not so awkward... it's somehow like a man tell another man that he looks good. It feels gay for some reason. I'm not saying it's bad. But it's too awkward for me.

Can't do it. Even if I smell something on someone I could see myself wearing. I'm just too awkward.

Very rarely, and almost always when I want to know what the fragrance is, so I can wear it myself.

1-very rarely

2-even more rare

But co workers and friends I make an effort to let them know I notice and appreciate it

I am always on the verge but people are so in a hurry these days; you have to mug them to say something unsolicited. The last time I wanted to comment I was in the lift, and the woman was also attractive. She smelt great, unusual, definitely niche. But my wife was there so I thought, nah! this will not come out right. Needless to say, I haven't seen her again, damn it! But I will comment on male or female if I think I can do it well.

The thing that I find interesting here is that on Basenotes you hear so many people asking "what gets the best compliments". People even mention this in their reviews for crying out loud.

But then some of those same people, don't want to compliment someone else?

When the hell did people get so scared of human interaction? Or like someone else said "awkward".

That's seriously depressing.

1. Very rarely.
    2. Depends on the setting. Not at work, but would in a social setting.

Aphexacid, I agree, man. I don't often smell fragrances that make me want to give a compliment, but when I do smell something nice and someone is in my proximity, I'll pay a compliment whether it's a man or woman. Most men and women I've complimented about a fragrance are happy to be noticed and find it flattering. I don't think this needs to be over thought to the point of worrying about it seeming gay, like your hitting on a woman, awkward, etc. But I'm one of those people who makes small talk with strangers at the store, baristas, people at the gas station, etc.
    Last edited by Theo; 17th March 2014 at 08:33 AM.

Very rarely. The problem with Copenhagen is, that when I ever smell a fragrance on other people, it is almost always one I hate so much that my blood boils (I am looking at you, One Million!!!), and they usually wear tons of it (I am looking at you again, One Million!!!!!!!!). Danes generally have very poor and uniform taste in fragrance (they are practically drones, especially the guys). Once in a while though, I smell something good and perfectly dosed. It is just difficult to find the person wearing it, as the choking clouds of One Million blind both nose and eyes.
    Danes are quite reserved as well, and complete strangers would think you were some kind of psycho, if you complemented them or at least think you were some sleezeball hitting on them.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I can't remember the last time I smelt a good fragrance on a guy. I usually only smell something obnoxious (over applied 1 Million or Le Male, mainly).

I do complement women though. "I like your perfume, what is it?" followed quickly by "I will have to see if my wife likes it as much as I do".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Very rarely. The problem with Copenhagen is, that when I ever smell a fragrance on other people, it is almost always one I hate so much that my blood boils (I am looking at you, One Million!!!), and they usually wear tons of it (I am looking at you again, One Million!!!!!!!!). Danes generally have very poor and uniform taste in fragrance (they are practically drones, especially the guys). Once in a while though, I smell something good and perfectly dosed. It is just difficult to find the person wearing it, as the choking clouds of One Million blind both nose and eyes.
    Danes are quite reserved as well, and complete strangers would think you were some kind of psycho, if you complemented them or at least think you were some sleezeball hitting on them.
    Sounds a lot like the UK! I have only been to Copenhagen once but I didn't smell any frags on anyone. Mind you the daily high was -5 C so my nose was mostly buried in a scarf (loved it all the same).

I only compliment friends and relatives, who mainly wear gifts or cast-offs from me.

Sure. Usually women and usually spontaneously. It's not something I think about but if someone suddenly smells good I might make a comment. I don't think I'd have a problem complimenting a guy, but I just very rarely come across a guy that smells good, or I don't think about it.

But I have to work on accepting compliments more graciously. When someone tells me I smell good, my initial reaction is always "oh, do I have too much on? It's not too strong, is it?" The next time someone says something I'm just going to say "thank you" and move on.

EDIT: Just re-read the thread title and realized I missed the word "stranger's" the first time around. So in that case, never.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 17th March 2014 at 06:10 PM.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Never. Unless it's a close friend and I'd only be doing it to satisfy my own ego by correctly guessing the frag

Never, although I often think I should. Case in point, the woman sat next to me on the train this morning was wearing Millesime Imperial. I'm sure of it. It was radiating off her as well which made for a pleasant journey. I would like to have paid a much deserved compliment but didn't probably down to awkward British social conventions.
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 17th March 2014 at 01:30 PM.

I get them all the time when wearing Lelabo's Santal 33 or Tom Ford's Noir de Noir. The reactions usually are " what's the lovely / intense perfume you are wearing ?"

If I recognize a scent that I admire on another, I don't compliment but I use to compliment but not no more I just chuckle : if I intensely admire a scent that I don't recognize I do compliment for the sake knowledge ...who doesn't honestly like a compliment and if the opportunity and right situation arises ..then I will compliment as I'm not a selfish person ; btw an honest compliment could make some ones day brighter, I hope so
    Last edited by magnus611; 17th March 2014 at 01:34 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Only one time I can recall, and it ended up having an interesting back story. But to make a long story short, I was in the Sky Club at JFK, and there was a young man sitting next to me who turned out to be a Saudi living in Paris. I don't recall what he was wearing now, but it was terrific.

Never. I don't smell much that is impressive, or on the street I can't tell where it is coming from, so I keep my compliments for those I'm on hugging terms with.

1) Yes

2) No
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Rarely

If I like how they smell I will. With women I usually do because I want to know the name of what they are wearing and with men same thing, or yes sometimes to "hit" on them and break the ice. Or because they just smell good and it's nice to let them know, it probably makes their day a little better. Different reasons.

I don't mind getting compliments from either sex as long as it's respectful.

Oh and I do think its a lil weird for a guy to compliment another guy on how good he smells, especially if they do it just to compliment them and not to ask the name of fragrance they are wearing. Maybe it's silly but that's what I honestly think.
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 18th March 2014 at 12:38 AM.

1) Yes
    2) Usually I just ask what it is. If I liked the scent, I would probably compliment the fragrance itself, "That is a great scent." rather than "You smell great." For me, that avoids the whole awkwardness of the compliment in cases where either a person is embarrassed to be complimented or misconstrues the compliment as a come on.

Most recently a male airline steward walked down the aisle and I smelled a nice, dry cologne that was obviously quality. I found myself wondering how long ago he applied, what it was, and if he could smell it himself (wasn't too powerful, but definitely had sillage).

Before that, I noticed a man I work with was wearing a quite sweet aquatic, also enjoyable. I made a mental note but didn't say anything. I work in an environment where fragrances are a no-no, so this was why it was notable.

Before that, a man I work with who is also a friend and who is quite sophisticated in his personal style and grooming was wearing a woodsy cologne when he met me for dinner. He had obviously recently sprayed as it was quite strong. I didn't say anything at the time. I assumed it was some ultra expensive niche fragrance. Weeks later, fragrance came up in conversation I told him I noticed him wearing cologne and asked what it was. It was actually A&F Woods, the only thing he likes to wear.

So apparently, my detect to compliment ratio is 0/3 initially and 1/3 with a long delay...

Never

I am way too shy for that s**t lol. The closest I'll ever come is telling someone that they smell nice, but I'll pretty much never say "hey, that (insert fragrance name) smells really good on you".

1)Yes! I won't chase them on the street, but if we're waiting on the footpath or in an elevator or a coffee queue together, I'll say "I like your perfume, what is it?" (if I'm saying that to a guy, I'll change "perfume" to "cologne" or "scent".)
    2) Whenever I smell something I like? Which, to be honest, isn't that often. People don't wear scent to work these days, and guys rarely wear scent.

Although I did have one experience with the secretary of the company I work for this week. I commented on her perfume, she told me that it was Clinique Elixir Aromatique and then I looked it up and realised that it was a chypre. OF COURSE I liked it. My preference for chypres is strong!

don't get compliments from strangers, i would not compliment a stranger!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethiel View Post
    1)Yes! I won't chase them on the street, but if we're waiting on the footpath or in an elevator or a coffee queue together, I'll say "I like your perfume, what is it?" (if I'm saying that to a guy, I'll change "perfume" to "cologne" or "scent".)
    2) Whenever I smell something I like? Which, to be honest, isn't that often. People don't wear scent to work these days, and guys rarely wear scent.

Although I did have one experience with the secretary of the company I work for this week. I commented on her perfume, she told me that it was Clinique Elixir Aromatique and then I looked it up and realised that it was a chypre. OF COURSE I liked it. My preference for chypres is strong!
    Plus, once you are tuned into AE, you can't miss it, it leaves such a wake of scent behind. I was once at an outdoor antiques fair with my wife, a lady in her 50s crossed our path up ahead, and when we got there a few seconds later, it was unmistakably AE that I could smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once in a while.

Basenotes Plus

It's pretty rare, but if I smell something good on someone regardless of gender, I will compliment them if the occasion is right. TPO!

I'll only compliment friends & subordinates.

for swap/sale:

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    It's pretty rare, but if I smell something good on someone regardless of gender, I will compliment them if the occasion is right. TPO!
    Not very rare here, but this sums up what i would do, and when.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

If its a guy it would have to be something I never smelled before,its way easier to compliment a woman,it just is.

Every now and then, but it's usually in a restaurant, an elevator or jiu-jitsu class (being that close to sweaty people makes me want encourage the use of fragrance).

I used to but my friends told me that they themselves don't mind it, but others might (their nice way of telling me most people think I'm weird)

Blog Entries

My husband says he smelled something he liked on a stranger. I say- Why didn't you ask her what it was? I'd really like to know. (Me, that is).

Only to girls. Never to guys including my friends. If my friends smells bad I just tell them 'YOU STINK'.

I've complimented 3 guys since this post. I think the easiest way to compliment someone is to flat guess what they're wearing. Instead of just saying "You smell good," that would seem awkward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I've complimented 3 guys since this post. I think the easiest way to compliment someone is to flat guess what they're wearing. Instead of just saying "You smell good," that would seem awkward.

Good idea. Just hope he's not insulted by your guess.

I give compliments because as everyone knows on BN, I love getting them....I don't have any problem walking up to someone, male or female, and saying they smell great....Usually, I ask what they are wearing because I want to get that same fragrance so perhaps a little selfishness is involved too...lol...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

If it smells good I ask them what it is. If it's a woman wearing some exhilarating floral, or Mitsouko, vintage Cabochard, stuff like that, I tell them emphatically how great it is then allow my world to expand. Few things are better than smelling great perfume on a provocative woman with some serious attitude.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th June 2014 at 05:38 AM.

A stranger? Wow...can't remember if I have. That's actually surprising to me. I may have asked a Nordie's employee once.