Code of Conduct

Default What smells like sea salt, beach?

Hello everyone, since my search for hot sand didn't yield any answers, how about marine air, sea salt?

What aromachemical or maybe natural ingredient would smell like salty sea air?

Is it calone maybe?
    Seaweed absolute maybe?
    Some other "ozonic" chemical?

Who has experienced calone?

Thank you very much for your input!

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Default Re: What smells like sea salt, beach?

Ambergris!

Good tip, Odeon.

Perfectscent, you may find the thread below useful. I don't think that it was mentioned in the thread but a small amount of camphor can also lend a fresh, salty note. You can use either the pure compound or Spanish Rosemary oil (camphor chemotype).

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265486-scent-of-salt
    Last edited by Pears; 17th March 2014 at 09:39 AM.

ok thanks

You could try dimethyl sulfide--it's supposed to be the "smell of the sea": http://www.livescience.com/4313-key-smell-sea.html That said, it's also supposed to be rather unpleasant on its own--something like rotting cabbage, I think, although I've not smelled it. For an ozonic type, you could try Aphermate, which is supposed to have an ocean breeze nuance. It's also rather woody in a pine direction. And for a watery floral fresh odor, I would suggest Scentenal.

Cool Re: What smells like sea salt, beach?

Smoked Salmon oleoresin maybe? Reading the Frankincense thread Sir Nizzy has bumped up I see Prince Kiler has experience of Payan and they offer this, just a thought, no experience with it personally so far. Mushroom abs is a little salty so could be an option worth considering as well, reminds me of those mushroom flavour sachets you get inside packs of nooodles from the supermarket. If you are using Seaweed I would look at the Robertet material on triethylcitrate first - it is easier to work with. As for synths and taking into account Lord Shepps ozonic suggestion what about Floralozone. Good luck Perfectscent.

Quote Originally Posted by HermitageOils View Post
    up I see Prince Kiler has experience of Payan
    You know, I think "King Kiler" is more alliterative... or even "Killer Kiler", as I've been known all my life...

Oh, PS, There's a "Paul's Big Screen TV" group of stores here in Los Angeles, He calls himself the "King of Bigscreen" and he finishes his TV ads with "I AM THE KING." So I play a game with my kids, and say, "I AM THE KING", which brings a smile to their small faces...

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 19th March 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Cool Re: What smells like sea salt, beach?

!!!! Not sure Paul. Regarding ones standing, yes you are top of the tree here that's a given, but the King title is already in play in the form of King Bartlett and King Ruskin, whom both got bumped up recently in the latest "Hermitage 2014 Just for Fun honours list"!!

Its freaky enough with two Kings as it is!! Plus Pears is a serious challenger I think for the "King" title as well. For now though had to keep him as Lord Pears! Prince Kiler is more fitting I think anyway as you are intelligent BUT also very playful as well you see! Which is a nice quality and fitting with the Prince title bestowed upon you!!!! So yes Prince Kiler it is, try it out for a few days Paul and see what you think. Had to give Nizzy some official recognition as well so he becomes a Sir, - you have made Israel proud Nizan. Ed gets mentioned in my honours list as well because he is from Sweden, very clued up and also I just like Ikea so based on this he becomes Lord Shepp from now on, try it out Ed!

Default What smells like sea salt, beach?

lol ) thank you king! and thanks Hermitage oils, i just got the oils from your company. Highly recommended! Still looking for a perfect coconut though.

thanks for your suggestions guys, i'll have to check them out.
    Smoked salmon? seriously, smoke and fish? They better come up with sushi absolute we need it now!

Last edited by perfectscent; 19th March 2014 at 04:05 PM.

Perfectscent, just a thought but did anyone mention Coconut Absolute? Not had no joy so far obtaining this myself though. Firmenich had a Coconut Tincture, but I was too late to the party - they where in process of clearing it off from what I understand. Thanks for the thumbs up about Hermi as well, most appreciated. Smoked Salmon, yes, its in Payans brochure thus mentioning Paul as I thought he might have sampled it with him mentioning various Payan materials in a previous thread.

!!!! Not sure Paul. Regarding ones standing, yes you are top of the tree here that's a given, but the King title is already in play in the form of King Bartlett and King Ruskin, whom both got bumped up recently in the latest "Hermitage 2014 Just for Fun honours list"!!

Its freaky enough with two Kings as it is!! Plus Pears is a serious challenger I think for the "King" title as well. For now though had to keep him as Lord Pears! Prince Kiler is more fitting I think anyway as you are intelligent BUT also very playful as well you see! Which is a nice quality and fitting with the Prince title bestowed upon you!!!! So yes Prince Kiler it is, try it out for a few days Paul and see what you think. Had to give Nizzy some official recognition as well so he becomes a Sir, - you have made Israel proud Nizan. Ed gets mentioned in my honours list as well because he is from Sweden, very clued up and also I just like Ikea so based on this he becomes Lord Shepp from now on, try it out Ed!
    I am gobsmacked.

Nice awards speech David! Just a bit of silly fun that's all!

It is always pushed home at awards ceremonies that recipients must be brief and to the point. I could go into a Gwyneth Paltrow marathon, or a Sally Field breakdown if you want.

No Paltrow speeches please!!! Sillyness aside and as a final point I for one genuinely respect the time and effort you put in to helping me and countless others on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    It is always pushed home at awards ceremonies that recipients must be brief and to the point. I could go into a Gwyneth Paltrow marathon, or a Sally Field breakdown if you want.
    Actually, I would like to see that.. You're usually very concise..

You know, I think "King Kiler" is more alliterative... or even "Killer Kiler", as I've been known all my life...
    I would say - the "Leather King"..

It has been long since anyone called me Nizzi (btw, the z in my name is supposed to be pronounced like ts).. How about Sir Klinghoffer? Or you could even go with Dr., though that's still a few months premature..
    Last edited by Nizan; 19th March 2014 at 05:50 PM.

Paint us a word picture of the sort of beach you would like to summon. Sandy, stony, woodsy, tropical, wild, touristy (ice creams), hot day, moody day, storm on it, lone island with birds, grockles eating winkles with hankies on headsÖ. etc etc.

Highly dilute clary sage has aspects of saltiness. That might be more wet salt spray though. For dry salt, possibly enhance by a dryness of a parchment ingredient if you use chems. Calone for breeze. Massoa/coconut for sun tan lotion effect if your beach has people in. Possibly a dry cedar at micro dilution for natural sandy dryness with a cypress sort for a sea air freshness.Ö and of course ambergris. Cepes could be wet sand/peat woods. Seaweed doesn't actually smell of beach much. Maybe a stagnant pool.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    Hello everyone, since my search for hot sand didn't yield any answers, how about marine air, sea salt?

What aromachemical or maybe natural ingredient would smell like salty sea air?

Is it calone maybe?
    Seaweed absolute maybe?
    Some other "ozonic" chemical?

Who has experienced calone?

Thank you very much for your input!
    Some watery, seashore aroma chemicals to consider:

Calone certainly, though not too much, also aphermate and floralozone have already been mentioned and are good. I would also look at Helional, Melafleur, Nerolidol, possibly Dimetol (though again not too much) and I would certainly include some ambergris substitutes such as ambrofix.

Depending on the type of beach possibly Geosmin too. Plus of course there is Maritima . . .

If you are going to use dimethyl sulphide, which is a good idea, then Iíd suggest just a trace.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thanks Adam :-) I actually got awarded this in a Twitter competition last year:

King of Perfume Badge_F.jpg

Iím sure itís time I got a promotion to Emperor by now though, donít you think ;-)
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

As long as this Emperor wears a little more than new clothes……… x

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    As long as this Emperor wears a little more than new clothesÖÖÖ x
    "It isnít true I had nothing on . . . I was wearing Chanel No 5Ē
    Chris Bartlett

I've been toying around with Maritima lately and am finding it really unique and evocative. I'm 95% sure it's what forms the watery accord in Secretions Magnifique, though, so do with that what you will. It's not salty, though—and as you were leaning more toward a sunscreen aesthetic with your last request, I'd say this veers more toward bilge than anything.

As it's been mentioned, I got some Maritima this week and I can not smell it at all. I've tried diluting it to 1% and 0.01%... nothing! I gave a strip with the 1% solution to someone else and they found it very unpleasant, like blood and iron. I haven't tried blending with it yet. Hopefully I will learn to smell it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    As it's been mentioned, I got some Maritima this week and I can not smell it at all. I've tried diluting it to 1% and 0.01%... nothing! I gave a strip with the 1% solution to someone else and they found it very unpleasant, like blood and iron. I haven't tried blending with it yet. Hopefully I will learn to smell it eventually.
    I have my dilution at around 10% and can smell it quite clearly! It is strange / bordering on unpleasant, but I think it's a great component for watery / marine type accords.

I order Maritima today. But until it arrives with others creatingperfume goodies, at least one month I must be waiting...
    Salvia lavandulifolia have clearly pronounced salty note. Choya Nakh too, but not so salty.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I have my dilution at around 10% and can smell it quite clearly! It is strange / bordering on unpleasant, but I think it's a great component for watery / marine type accords.
    Maritima is certainly strange, bloody and bordering on the unpleasant, but the watery effect is quite pronounced and lasting.
    Chris Bartlett

I've seen Tangerine Acetate is described as iodine and seaweed.. Anyone familiar with it?
    I wasn't able to find a supplier except TGSC, and they don't ship here :\

Also, reading a few posts on this subject, I'm a bit confused.. What does Seaweed absolute smell like?

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Also, reading a few posts on this subject, I'm a bit confused.. What does Seaweed absolute smell like?
    Fucus tincture = Green, salty, vegetal, slightly mossy, briny in a typical wet seaweed brackish way. Very like the real bladderwrack.

Got two new words to look up now
    Thanks - I was a bit confused because people said they don't smell salty/oceanic, so I was afraid it would just smell like moss..

Look, Nizan, they both are right, who say that smells salty and who say no. There are many seaweed absolutes, from different species, and they smells different. Sushi-muddy-salty or almost hay'ish. Colourless absolute smells more like burned cardboard.

Hmm.. Thanks! There seem to be only the Fucus vesiculosus available, so that's what I'll get, and hope for the best.. I also might tincture some Japanese green tea - it smells like seaweed (to me..). All in all, I think I have a picture of where I can take things by now thanks to all the different threads on the subject.

Hi Nizan, not sure who you are responding to but whilst F.vesiculosus L is the commonly available material in absolute form you can get another one reasonably easy called Laminaria digitata, all the big French natural companies offer it, happy to carve up the sample if it ever arrives. I actually think you will have more joy though tincturing Seaweeds of your choosing - over 800 species exist. As for colourless abs smelling like burned cardboard, interesting observation but I respectfully think otherwise, its salty, fishy, wet, marine and super easy to handle. Tinctures are the way to go I think in this instance and maybe this should be in that saponiers wish list thread! Off topic but one that still eludes me - a source - is Frankincense Papyrifera, no1 on my own personal wishlist for the past four years.

Oh, I've came across that somewhere online, but they weren't willing to share a GC.
    Should be quite easy getting a hold of a some algae here - I'm 10 minutes drive from the shore. Should I get fresh ones, dry them and tincture, or should I collect the ones that are washed?
    Last edited by Nizan; 26th May 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Who you calling a ho?!!! Many don't share GC's, tried myself for Ylangs and had no joy. For advice on tincturing best just to ask the tincturing pros here - Mumsy, Kiler and Bartlett.

Huh?
    Apparently it won't be so easy finding those algae here..

Basenotes Member

I mascerate seaweed in oil. Dimethyl Suphide is also useful. Robertet's seaweed absolute is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Oh, I've came across that somewhere online, but they weren't willing to share a GC.
    Should be quite easy getting a hold of a some algae here - I'm 10 minutes drive from the shore. Should I get fresh ones, dry them and tincture, or should I collect the ones that are washed?
    I once bought some algae powder (20 g/1,20€) in a shop along with resins and herbs and tinctured it at 33%. After a few months I filtered it and diluted it further to 5% for blending because it's really strong. Applied on skin it definitely has a marine feel, though still seaweedy.
    Interesting aroma chemicals and naturals for sale. Worldwide shipping. Just send me a pm for pricing and details.

Hi Nizan, not sure who you are responding to but whilst F.vesiculosus L is the commonly available material in absolute form you can get another one reasonably easy called Laminaria digitata, all the big French natural companies offer it, happy to carve up the sample if it ever arrives. I actually think you will have more joy though tincturing Seaweeds of your choosing - over 800 species exist. As for colourless abs smelling like burned cardboard, interesting observation but I respectfully think otherwise, its salty, fishy, wet, marine and super easy to handle. Tinctures are the way to go I think in this instance and maybe this should be in that saponiers wish list thread! Off topic but one that still eludes me - a source - is Frankincense Papyrifera, no1 on my own personal wishlist for the past four years.
    Dear Adam, take brown cardboard (if you can, burn small piece of it), colorless seawed and just smell them. In most cases I agree with you, but sometimes simply find another facets (off topic: as with Fire tree, for me more Liquidambar orientalis style than Davana, Fire tree fruitiness quickly disappeared).
    And I get Maritima! Surprisingly, I remember this kind of smell from my childhood - terrible smelling, salty taste toothpaste Pomorin. I hated it... Never buy later. Still produced, I googled, with special Bulgarian mud. So, for me Maritima have special mud'y scent, with fish skin, fish scales, old fish nets on the seaside, strange unpleasant smell. But full of life, maybe more cold-blooded animals - worms, fish, toads. I make few acords with it, trying create old agarwood. Blends well with patchouli, tonka, IsoE super, vetivers. Bergamot, opoponax - accentuate unpleasant oily-metallic elements. Now want try in leather composition. On my skin Maritima lasts longer and more pronounced than on blotter, it does not matter, in a mixture or only one diluted Maritima. So, needs care, only from blotter can be done wrong decisions.

Ramut - maybe you should dilute it further? To the point where it's so faint it's just an impression? Seems like you're sensitive to this stuff (which I'll get soon, to experience for myself).
    I just came back from the beach with three different kinds of algae.. They all smell like fish, one more meaty and one more celery like.. Will dry them and tincture.. Maybe something good will come out of this little experiment.
    Next step - trying to get Tangerinol..

Maybe burnt cardboard isn't that far off. I just tested Choya Nakh (how is this pronounced?) And it smells like someone is welding.. Didn't get anything marine from it.. But then I used another strip with Scentenal and was pretty surpised to get that marine funk. Very cool. Will check it again tomorrow to see if the impression is the same.

I diluted almost everything... Even what many of you use undiluted. usually use seaweeds at 10% and once carefully compare samples from few sources. I don't say that colorless are bad, no way; just have different scent profile. My Maritima diluted to 10%. I am not afraid this stuff, no. I love unusual scents. With Maritima I get Shangralide (yes yes yes!) and Ultralid - synonyms from different producers, according to TGSC site info. Shangralide have ambergris warmth, much softer, and I love this, Ultralide - no, they are so different. I can easy recognise them blindly, but I think many can.
    No sweaweed near my house, but I done fresh hazel (Corylus avellana) leafs and bark hidrolat this wekend and find that it smells rum, whisky, dry wood; very nice. Now want to do some tincture.

Sorry having to work today on a Bank Holiday, boo, but having read this I just want to say Ramute that I have the upmost respect for all you say as you are a serious pro in my eyes - one of the very best here at BN - and also I am not asking anyone to agree with me about anything so please don't feel inclined to do so. I am however sticking to my opinions on the Seaweed Colourless abs, I don't detect anything cardboard like burnt or otherwise, for me this sits within the ballpark of what one would expect from such a material and does not throw anything up out of the unusual.

Adam, of course not only cardbox... I find even strawberries in yours colorless absolute (very interesting!) and write blog post about it. In Lithuanian, so not very usefull and comfortable. Sorry, I forgot that we all accept smells differently. But if even one man find cardbox, it means somebody else can find it too.

Ramute - you're from Lithuania? There's a pretty good and problematic online merchant there.. Any chance you can convince her to accept Paypal?

I have the seaweed decolorized absolute. A friend of mine said it smells like "burnt brakes," as in car breaks. He smelled it 100%, though. It makes me think of sushi. I like it, but I've not smelled any other seaweed absolute before.

Hmm.. How does it compare to Choya Nakh? That Choya smells like iron-welding to me. Sounds pretty similar

I don't know what Choya Nakh smells like, but once upon a time I had some Tangerinol. I remember reading that it had a seaweed aspect, but I don't recall getting much of that when I smelled it. If I recall correctly, it was more of a bitter citrus, but I don't remember it well.

Thanks to Christine from PSH, I will soon find out for myself