Code of Conduct

Default Non "old lady" or sharp smelling florals, recommendations...

I need help finding nice fresh spring summer scents, I'm usually not into florals or fruity fragrances. I like woody warm gourmands like HP, L Lempicka, Ambre Narguile etc. But I'm in the mood for something different this summer. I do like Daisy by Marc Jacobs but it seems a bit sharp and grassy to me. Can any of you guys recommend a non sharp or "old lady" smelling clean floral/fruity fragrance. Maybe something along the lines of Daisy or Michael Kores. Or something different you think I might like, as long as it's not too sharp. I also liked The Bronze Goddess by Lauder that a person here recommended.
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 17th March 2014 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Non "old lady" or sharp smelling florals, recommendations...

You might like the first 'Prada'. Please do not use the term "Old Lady". It is offensive to those of us who have lived longer than you and it is not terribly descriptive anyway. That is to say, not helpful in figuring out what you like.

Perhaps also Dior Addict- more of a gourmand than a floral, with notes from both categories, moderately sweet and definitely with a modern, youthful urban stylishness.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 17th March 2014 at 06:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxxy View Post
    I also liked The Bronze Goddess by Lauder that a person here recommended.
    Um, that was me. Glad you like it!

The first suggestions that spring to my mind are; Armani Acqua di Gioia, a non-sharp, minty citrus with a brown sugar drydown, very mojito-like. And perhaps Estee Lauder's Brasil Dream, a creamy, very slightly fruity tropical floral. You may like the newly-launched Alien Eau Extraordinaire, too; a softer, more tropical version of the original.

As for Dior Addict; l love it, but l wouldn't describe it as "fresh"; it's a thick, spicy vanilla to my nose.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

As a lover of "old-lady" perfumes, I only wish I could have you try some old masterpieces like Joy or My sin. Sadly, you won't find these anymore, as all modern florals are pretty much clean - if any, too sharp, as you point out.

In any case, back to question. I'd say you can try Kenzo Flower, fresh, and with just a touch of melon. You could also check the various Hermes Jardin, which are all fresh florals with different side notes.

cacio

24, Faubourg?

(ு८ு .)
    Acca Kappa Calycanthus is fairly fresh. It's also not sharp, old-fashioned, perfume-y or dated, in case that's what you meant by old lady.

Blog Entries

l thought of some more;

Perhaps Chanel Allure? Rose & jasmine, & it's Chanel; always classy.

Sisley's Eau d'lkar; it's marketed to men, but l think it can easily work on a woman; creamy lemon with a touch of fig.

Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino; surely the longest-lasting citrus on the planet.

Like you, l'm not usually into fruit in perfumes, but citrus fruits are the exception.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm no spring chicken myself. I guess I just hear that tearm a lot, just this last Sat the SA from the Chanel counter used it to describe Chanel #5 to me. What I mean is nothing overly floral, or heavy on the rose, and nothing heavily floral with strong powder scent. I think Stella did it beautify tho, Stella made me like Rose, even though it's mixed with Amber, which sometimes can smell dated to me.

cacio- I've smelled Vintage Joy before my mother used to wear that and Sharlimar. I can't recall the scent, but Sharlimar is tattooed in my scent memory. I will always and forever love it because it smells like my momma.
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 17th March 2014 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Perhaps also Dior Addict- more of a gourmand than a floral, with notes from both categories, moderately sweet and definitely with a modern, youthful urban stylishness.

Thank you. Love Addict. Just bought a couple backup bottles because I read, I think here, that it might be gone for a while or reformulated...again

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Um, that was me. Glad you like it!

The first suggestions that spring to my mind are; Armani Acqua di Gioia, a non-sharp, minty citrus with a brown sugar drydown, very mojito-like. And perhaps Estee Lauder's Brasil Dream, a creamy, very slightly fruity tropical floral. You may like the newly-launched Alien Eau Extraordinaire, too; a softer, more tropical version of the original.

As for Dior Addict; l love it, but l wouldn't describe it as "fresh"; it's a thick, spicy vanilla to my nose.
    Mmm brown sugar and citrus sounds really nice to me, will check Acqua out. Is it different than the original Acqua Di Gio? The one with the gold cap? And yes Thank you, I did like Bronze, I think it's a good tropical vacation fragrance without smelling like suntan lotion.

The new Alien sounds promising!! I can't wait for that one!

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm no spring chicken myself. I guess I just hear that tearm a lot, just this last Sat the SA from the Chanel counter used it to describe Chanel #5 to me. What I mean is nothing overly floral, or heavy on the rose, and nothing heavily floral with strong powder scent. I think Stella did it beautify tho, Stella made me like Rose, even though it's mixed with Amber, which sometimes can smell dated to me.

cacio- I've smelled Vintage Joy before my mother used to wear that and Sharlimar. I can't recall the scent, but Sharlimar is tattooed in my scent memory. I will always and forever love it because it smells like my momma.

You're kidding me, right? The SA for the company that MAKES #5 described it as "old lady"? What a dipsh*t. This is the kind of thing that creates the image of SAs being know-nothings - it's based in reality. If I'd been there I would have enjoyed making them cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    You're kidding me, right? The SA for the company that MAKES #5 described it as "old lady"? What a dipsh*t. This is the kind of thing that creates the image of SAs being know-nothings - it's based in reality. If I'd been there I would have enjoyed making them cry.
    I think that's why many of us come here to get educated. I wish more SA would get a bit more knowledge about the products they are selling. I understand how you feel, I feel the same way when I visit the skin care section and the SA talks to me about skin care or their products, makes me cringe.

Blog Entries

Mmm brown sugar and citrus sounds really nice to me, will check Acqua out. Is it different than the original Acqua Di Gio? The one with the gold cap? And yes Thank you, I did like Bronze, I think it's a good tropical vacation fragrance without smelling like suntan lotion.

The new Alien sounds promising!! I can't wait for that one!
    You're welcome! Yes, Acqua di Gioia is *very* different to di Gio.

Do report back on your sniffing adventures! lt's always nice to know what worked & what didn't.

Blog Entries

Your "Sales Assistant" could have given you some useful information and possibly made a sale, if she had mentioned that 'Chanel No. 5' is a jasmine - based aldehyde. Aldehydes tend to be effervescent and bubbly. The parfum is the richest, most mellow version. The EDP, the second strongest and probably a good introduction. You won't get a chance to test those strengths, though. Probably you'll only try the EDT which will be thin and harsh by comparison.

Blog Entries

No5 Eau Premiere might work for you; it's softer & more modern than the original, with the sharp aldehydes toned right down.

The SA either have something to push, or second guess. If she thought you'd be more the type for, say, fruity floral Coco Mademoiselle, she might have said No 5 is old lady, and Coco Mad is modern young women. Either way, Sa are usually not to be trusted.

cacio

Lexxy If you can get to a Chanel boutique Beige and 1932 from the Les Excluifs line might be of interest more floral than fruity floral. So Nude (Costume National) a good one for warm weather.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I think the "old lady" tag gets placed on whatever our grandmother's generation wore. Powdery? Check. Aldehydes? Check. In another few decades, maybe "fruity floral" will earn the tag! Don't scoff -- the industry might move that far away from today's formulas in 40 years.

(ு८ு .) I like this, Socalwoman.

As for florals, I'm not a big wearer, but if you're looking for something different, try an all-natural floral parfum. Two of my favorite lines are Profumo and Ayala Moriel.

profumo.it
    ayalamoriel.com

They won't last as long as a synthetic perfume, but you will be blown away by the gorgeous aroma of real floral absolutes. No, this is not head-shop quality. It takes more talent to mix a beautiful floral from natural substances than it does to make a synthetic representation of a flower that smells good.

My favorites are:

Profumo

Oasis (deep bouquet of mixed florals)
    http://profumo.it/natural-perfume/Oasis/pid/122

Morning Blossom (fresh orange blossom)
    http://profumo.it/natural-perfume/Mo...ossom/pid/5107

Phermone for Females (indolic florals and real ambergris)
    http://profumo.it/natural-perfume/Ph...oman)/pid/5050

Ayala Moriel

Lovender (fresh lavender on a vanilla base)
    http://ayalamoriel.com/index.cfm?Pag...s&PerfumeID=26

Zohar (realistic orange blossom)
    http://ayalamoriel.com/index.cfm?Pag...s&PerfumeID=46

Plus any others that might strike your fancy, such as Bouquet of Love, White Potion, etc.

Loo for something with hyacinth.
    Hyacinth is floral & sharp.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Lexxy If you can get to a Chanel boutique Beige and 1932 from the Les Excluifs line might be of interest more floral than fruity floral. So Nude (Costume National) a good one for warm weather.
    I looked up So Nude, it seems like something I would like. Was there ever a controversy about this one? About it having animal ingredients or something similar? I think I remember hearing that somewhere. I would rather avoid animal based ingredients but if I REALLY like the fragrance I would probably buy it. Also I had never heard of this brand thank you!

Edit
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 19th March 2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I think the "old lady" tag gets placed on whatever our grandmother's generation wore. Powdery? Check. Aldehydes? Check. In another few decades, maybe "fruity floral" will earn the tag! Don't scoff -- the industry might move that far away from today's formulas in 40 years.

(ு८ு .) I like this, Socalwoman.

As for florals, I'm not a big wearer, but if you're looking for something different, try an all-natural floral parfum. Two of my favorite lines are Profumo and Ayala Moriel.

profumo.it
    ayalamoriel.com

They won't last as long as a synthetic perfume, but you will be blown away by the gorgeous aroma of real floral absolutes. No, this is not head-shop quality. It takes more talent to mix a beautiful floral from natural substances than it does to make a synthetic representation of a flower that smells good.

My favorites are:

Profumo

Oasis (deep bouquet of mixed florals)
    http://profumo.it/natural-perfume/Oasis/pid/122

Morning Blossom (fresh orange blossom)
    http://profumo.it/natural-perfume/Mo...ossom/pid/5107

Phermone for Females (indolic florals and real ambergris)
    http://profumo.it/natural-perfume/Ph...oman)/pid/5050

Ayala Moriel

Lovender (fresh lavender on a vanilla base)
    http://ayalamoriel.com/index.cfm?Pag...s&PerfumeID=26

Zohar (realistic orange blossom)
    http://ayalamoriel.com/index.cfm?Pag...s&PerfumeID=46

Plus any others that might strike your fancy, such as Bouquet of Love, White Potion, etc.
    I like the idea of all natural based perfumes, what turns me off to a lot of fragrances is that chemical artificial shampoo air freshener scent that many of them have. It's like you can't bury your nose in the scent, you take a whiff and it smells good but then you gotta move your nose away and get some fresh air, I like when you can just bury your nose in it. Hope that made sense lol

And I think I have more of an idea about the type of fresh floral/fruity perfumes I can like, I can be more specific now and give you guys a better idea of what I would like. I was at Sephora yesterday and I noticed that the ones I liked were the ones that had musk, vanilla, white amber and sandalwood as the bottom notes. Top notes were usually white flowers like, tuberose, honeysuckle, Lilly of the valley and orchid. Think middle notes were fruits.

I ended up getting Marc Jacobs Daisy eau so fresh (pink juice) which is not as sharp as the original Daisy but more fruity. There was one from TokyoMilk #90 that I liked as well. And I'm a lil embarrassed to admit this because I always considered the Juicy perfumes cheesy and way too common (and for me to say that takes A LOT because I don't mind cheesy common perfumes) but I kinda liked the Viva La Juicy and I really liked Viva La Juicy Le Fleur. Also the regular Marc Jacobs but again it had that sharp artificial smell to it. And I'm seriously thinking about buying Chanel Chance eau Tendre, reminds me of MJ Daisy. And definitely getting Coco Mademoiselle!

Ok so something along those lines, I think I'm on the right track now but still have to find those fresh clean perfumes that rock me to the core, like my HP, or Angel do
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 19th March 2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    No5 Eau Premiere might work for you; it's softer & more modern than the original, with the sharp aldehydes toned right down.
    Couldn't find this one anywhere teardrop, any idea where I might? As long as it's different from the original tho, didn't like the original at all.

The price on these are a bit much, but I imagine you'd really like All That Matters by Anamor and Ellie by Ellie D.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/product/33...ters-by-anamor
    http://www.luckyscent.com/product/38...lie-by-ellie-d
    Last edited by socalwoman; 19th March 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Couldn't find this one anywhere teardrop, any idea where I might? As long as it's different from the original tho, didn't like the original at all.
    Perhaps our friends in the US can answer this? (l assume that's where you are & not in the UK, as we don't have Sephora here)

I know Nordstrom carries no. 5 Eau Premiere, and Macy's has it online but I have not seen it at their counter in store. Maybe it's just my local Macy's that's missing it. Check yours!

I looked up So Nude, it seems like something I would like. Was there ever a controversy about this one? About it having animal ingredients or something similar? I think I remember hearing that somewhere. I would rather avoid animal based ingredients but if I REALLY like the fragrance I would probably buy it. Also I had never heard of this brand thank you!
    You're very welcome, I haven't heard of any controversy if you do come across it again it would be interesting to find out what the issue was. L'Occitane maybe another brand that would be of interest, they have several fruity florals and are quite widely available.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Try Serge Lutens florals. The reason I'm suggesting this line is because you mentioned that you typically enjoy woody gourmands.
    Datura Noir and A La Nuit are rich "florientals" free of aldehydes, civet, and powdery rose. You might want to avoid Fleurs d'Oranger because it has cumin and rose AND civet. Sarrasins is a rich fruity-floral full of indoles (poopy notes) so that one might be a little intense, but otherwise it is worth ordering a few samples.