Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Early warning: Pharrell Williams teams up with Comme des Garçons

Reported by Huffpo, Billboard and others:
    Pharrell Williams and Comme des Garçons are teaming up and will release unisex G I R L fragrance in September.

Happy+-+Pharrell+Williams+(cover).jpg

From the press release:
    "This is the first time we have created a fragrance for a musician and I can think of no greater talent and no greater gentleman to have done this with,” [states Adrian Joffe, CEO of Comme des Garcons Parfums.]

“Pharrell knew exactly what he wanted the perfume to smell like right from the beginning. It has been an honor to work with such a creative artist with a great vision which for Comme des Garcons is the most important thing"

------------
    Will it smell Happy?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: Early warning: Pharrell Williams teams up with Comme des Garçons

Will pass on this, but thanks for the info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Will pass on this, but thanks for the info.
    +1 .

I'm a huge fan of CDG but I'm admittedly not excited one bit by this collaboration…I will give it a chance anyway and I'll be more than glad to be proven wrong. Let's see...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

There are still some good celebrity and/or celebrity fragrances- still hope that this may become one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Reported by Huffpo, Billboard and others:
    Pharrell Williams and Comme des Garçons are teaming up and will release unisex G I R L fragrance in September.

Happy+-+Pharrell+Williams+(cover).jpg

From the press release:
    "This is the first time we have created a fragrance for a musician and I can think of no greater talent and no greater gentleman to have done this with,” [states Adrian Joffe, CEO of Comme des Garcons Parfums.]

“Pharrell knew exactly what he wanted the perfume to smell like right from the beginning. It has been an honor to work with such a creative artist with a great vision which for Comme des Garcons is the most important thing"

------------
    Will it smell Happy?
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Sounds worth a shot to me. He's pretty stylish, actually. Why not?

Basenotes Plus

It's CdG so I' ll definitely test it. The fragrance name,GIRL, is unisex.. Interesting.

I would have thought that if CdG were to pair up with a celeb to develop a scent that it would've been someone a little less mainstream, and more avant garde than Pharrell. Regardless, I look forward to trying it.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 18th March 2014 at 08:22 AM.

Actually, I urge everyone to read a little about Pharrell before dismissing him. He's a really intelligent guy who's also amazingly creative. In addition to his music production, he's been involved in art (working with Murakami) and fashion. I admire him. He seems to me like a very talented person who does a lot of different things, and I can see why CdG chose to work with him.

I'm pretty sure that G I R L is the name of his recent album, which may be why they chose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Actually, I urge everyone to read a little about Pharrell before dismissing him. He's a really intelligent guy who's also amazingly creative. In addition to his music production, he's been involved in art (working with Murakami) and fashion. I admire him. He seems to me like a very talented person who does a lot of different things, and I can see why CdG chose to work with him.

I'm pretty sure that G I R L is the name of his recent album, which may be why they chose it.
    Mocha I agree, he played in my city recently by all reports he was great. A quick look at all his other work and collaborations will reveal someone who has got substance behind the style and show.
    Last edited by Xscent; 18th March 2014 at 12:16 PM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Will sample this one when available.

Who is he?

Basenotes Plus

i am interested - mostly because it's CdG and I like what I have sampled from them so far. Pharrell is a talented and clever guy, not a huge fan of his music but I respect his talent, and also kind of liked the N.E.R.D. stuff....

Cheers -- I'm not really lazy. Never heard any of his music

He's a pretty stylish & creative guy. Plus it's GdG. Will be going out of my way to give it a go.

Lol at the "Oh. Celeb fragrance. I'll give it a miss" crowd. Tragic.

I have no idea who the guy is but the name sounds very mainstream.

For shame Cdg, for shame....

I'd have preferred to see a Ieoh Ming Pei x Comme des Garcons.

for swap/sale:

Interesting. Although I think they should have called it NERD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Interesting. Although I think they should have called it NERD.
    LOL…you mean N.E.R.D. Anyway, yes, Pharrell is surely stylish et all but I honestly don't find many links between his aesthetic and CDG's. His music is soulful, funky-ish and definitely linked to certain kinds of hip-hop as well as most of his outfits while CDG's aesthetic is minimalist and sort of aloof. Yes, they came out with a couple of collections inspired by street-wear in the past but their overall feel is still pretty much more *avant* than Pharrell's, IMO. I would have seen Bjork as a better fit for this collaboration...

Basenotes Institution

So it's gonna be named G I R L, but will it be marketed to men or women?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

"unisex GIRL"... hmmm... i'm 'confused'.
    mikeperez23, you stole my thunder. damn it.

Basenotes Plus

It's supposedly unisex.

My grandpa would love to check it out.

What are you wearing grandpa?

G I R L

Selling out?
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It's supposedly unisex.

My grandpa would love to check it out.

What are you wearing grandpa?

G I R L
    Lmao
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I would have seen Bjork as a better fit for this collaboration...
    I was actually thinking the exact same thing. She would fit perfectly.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 19th March 2014 at 09:01 PM.

Can't think of anyone more relevant than Pharrell right now. Excited to have girl on me.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    He's a pretty stylish & creative guy. Plus it's GdG. Will be going out of my way to give it a go.

Lol at the "Oh. Celeb fragrance. I'll give it a miss" crowd. Tragic.
    I will be on the lookout for it too. Pharrell Williams has enough clout to could have signed with Coty, slapped his name on a white floral for the girls, an aquatic-woody for the boys and called it a day. The fact that he went more high-end and that CdG allowed this alignment with their brand is interesting. Not holding my breath or anything but I think this has potential to be more interesting than many other celeb-fragrances.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

It's kind of funny...they can think of no greater talent? Really? I mean he's a good musician but he's no Sting!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I will be on the lookout for it too. Pharrell Williams has enough clout to could have signed with Coty, slapped his name on a white floral for the girls, an aquatic-woody for the boys and called it a day. The fact that he went more high-end and that CdG allowed this alignment with their brand is interesting. Not holding my breath or anything but I think this has potential to be more interesting than many other celeb-fragrances.
    +101. I'll add he's been on or close to the cutting edge for over 10 years. I remember walking through gaienmae in Tokyo around 2005-2006 and seeing his standalone clothing store, the guy was only around 30 at the time. 10 years later he's the most relevant person in music and arguably fashion. If anything Comme de Garcons has gone mainstream compared to what the company was in the 80s and 90s by releasing perfume, accessories and inexpensive clothing. It has become mainstream. That said nothing is wrong with mainstream if one can produce quality and keep it affordable for the masses.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 14th April 2014 at 07:37 PM.

Maybe we should wait until the fragrance actually comes out and is sampled before crushing it.

I have a general distaste for Pharrell and strong appetite CdG fragrances. Still, I'll probably check this one out if the note profile looks good on paper.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Basenotes Plus

Pharrell could have been a BOON to Clinique if he just endorsed/put his name on "Happy"

I am interested in the fragrance, as I am with all of them from CdG. As far as marketing, I agree that a more eclectic artist/musician would be better for the house. But maybe the most eclectic move of them all was to snag a superstar from the mainstream.

I could see Sting endorsing Aqua de Parma or Lorenzo Villoresi. And of course, I have been waiting for 30 years to hear a deoderant or perfume commercial with "Don't Stand So Close to Me" as the theme song

Every endorsement is different. While Pharrell might not be my favorite musician, I respect him. At least CdG didn't hook up with Nickelback or Nicki Minaj

I think it would be hilarious to see Peaches endorse one of those really stank-filled fragrances that smell like "dirty underwear" and "BO" that you all talk about sometime. During Winter Music Conference 2001 in Miami, I spent a long crazy night with Peaches in a liquor fuled romp all over Miami naked in pools dancing and woke up in a hotel I didn't belong in the next day. Bottle THAT shit.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    It's kind of funny...they can think of no greater talent? Really? I mean he's a good musician but he's no Sting!
    Now if CDG were to collaborate with Sting, then I would indeed write the fragrance off immediately.

Back on subject, this sounds like it should be worth a try at least. CDG is a generally consistent house, and Pharrell is one of the better pop musicians out there today. Remember: It's not the face on the ad that matters, it's the nose behind the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    Now if CDG were to collaborate with Sting, then I would indeed write the fragrance off immediately.
    I'd have to dump any other CdGs for good measure.

Blog Entries

If you don't like Mr. Sting (and I can't imagine why not) put the name of your favorite musician in his place. That's all I'm saying. CDG's corny advertising bit about his being the "greatest talent" around. Or similar, is rather trite and untrue. But that's advertising for you.

If you don't like Mr. Sting (and I can't imagine why not) put the name of your favorite musician in his place. That's all I'm saying. CDG's corny advertising bit about his being the "greatest talent" around. Or similar, is rather trite and untrue. But that's advertising for you.

I guess I'm slightly less cynical about this one because CDG are hardly a household name in perfumery. If, say, Coty or Procter & Gamble were to heave up a fragrance and put Pharrell's mug on it, I'd fear the worst immediately. Even that wouldn't necessarily mean that it'll be a bad fragrance, but it wouldn't leave one full of anticipation either.

In CDG terms, I'd actually say their collaborations with Monocle were more superfluous than a collaboration with a famous musician who's been making great music for almost twenty years. The Monocle fragrances were fine, but...collaborating with a magazine?

I actually think several of the CDG's collaborations ended up being amongst their best deliveries (Millenery for Stephen Jones / Standard for Artek / Hinoki and Sugi for Monocle).

By the way Pharrell (not a fan, just being objective and knowing him since his early productions with N.E.R.D.) is way more talented than Sting (even more fan here, but honestly, just a decent voice with The Police).

However I agree with Alfarom - I liked the Monocle's above all.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    By the way Pharrell (not a fan, just being objective and knowing him since his early productions with N.E.R.D.) is way more talented than Sting (even more fan here, but honestly, just a decent voice with The Police).

Honestly! I just said the first name that popped into my head. Geesh!

Kumquat, they're not just thinking about the greatest talent here but good talent paired to a HUGE appeal on both younger crowds and grown-ups. Honestly, while I personally stopped following Pharrell quite some time ago, I can't still think about anyone who can pair mainstream stuff (music / videos / outlook) with at least some quality. He ranges from composing soundtracks for hollywood blockbusters such as Despicable Me to collaborating / writing tracks for the likes of Daft Punk / Madonna / Beyonce / Shakira / Britney Spears (among several several others) via composing the music for the 84th Academy Awards. He covers an immense crowd and while his style doesn't always appeal to me, it was definitely a super-smart mover from Comme Des Garcons.

Now, I'm still somewhat unexcited about this release but, well, Pharrell Williams is definitely a quite relevant / influential character in modern pop-music.

Blog Entries

Maybe I should have said Paul McCartney, or Stevie Wonder....

I'm too old to care about this stuff. I'm sure it will be rockin hot juice.
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th April 2014 at 09:42 PM.

I couldn't wear this scent under any circumstances, no matter how great the scent. Every time I sprayed I'd hear that 'Happy' jingle, which already has people in my area leaping off bridges. One of those tunes that, after endless looping, makes folks desperate.

Basenotes Plus

not taking anything away from Pharrell, but Sting in The Police and solo has one of the most impressive bodies of work of any contemporary music artist. His lyrics alone are a couple orders higher than anything I have heard from Pharrell. The music is one of the most eclectic world fusion pop melanges ever created (especially The Police stuff) and there are very few artists on the level of Mr. Gordon Sumner, especially not a talented hip hop guy who has created a few albums and hits. Sting created an entire genre.

now - back to the fragrance discussion

The only celebuscent I think which is well composed is White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor and I think it smells alluring on women.

I am guessing the Pharell fragrance will be another hip hop fragrance with vanilla, fruit and some other shit.

Blog Entries

And tonka, don't forget tonka!

Maybe I should have said Paul McCartney, or Stevie Wonder....

I'm too old to care about this stuff. I'm sure it will be rockin hot juice.
    Lol, here we are, you should have said Stevie Wonder for instance.

(sorry for having been a pain picking on that Sting stuff)
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Basenotes Plus

Colin, your knowledge and input on fragrances is amazing, so I forgive you any transgressions when it comes to Sting

Lol, here we are, you should have said Stevie Wonder for instance.

(sorry for having been a pain picking on that Sting stuff)

Basenotes Plus

And tonka, don't forget tonka!
    Would that be the new "Badonka Tonka" the fragrance of the Dirty South?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    Would that be the new "Badonka Tonka" the fragrance of the Dirty South?
    Naturally, the more badass the better!

Basenotes Junkie

I'll smell this when it is available to me, but I don't hold a lot of hope. not because it is a celebrity scent, but because of the quote:

"Pharrell knew exactly what he wanted the perfume to smell like right from the beginning"

If he had an inspirational vision of what the fragrance should smell like (a fresh pine forest just after a heavy frost) then fair play to him, however what people think they want and what they think smells good generally don't make for good perfumes right out of the box. If he was pretty well set in what he wanted (and thus CdG improvements go unimplemented), then it could make for a rough fragrance. Who knows. Only one way to find out.

thanks
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    If he had an inspirational vision of what the fragrance should smell like (a fresh pine forest just after a heavy frost) then fair play to him, however what people think they want and what they think smells good generally don't make for good perfumes right out of the box. If he was pretty well set in what he wanted (and thus CdG improvements go unimplemented), then it could make for a rough fragrance. Who knows. Only one way to find out.
    I'd think a clear vision would be a good thing. The fact that Pharrell knew what he wanted doesn't mean he's a dictator who takes no advice or feedback. As talented as he is, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to make perfume, so he's got to be in the hands of the noses doing the work. I remember the stories about Madonna's perfume. She had a definite vision of a perfume like her mother's, from what I remember reading, and she insisted on no musk. The perfumers finally twisted her arm and made her try a version with musk, and she was convinced. And it's actually a pretty good perfume, by most accounts.

Anyhow, there's no guarantee that anyone will like anything. I'm hopeful that it will be interesting.

Basenotes Junkie

I too am hopeful in the same way that I hope all new fragrances have something interesting about them. Vision is a very good thing if it is the guiding type of vision. "I know I want it to smell warm and clean like being wrapped up in a fresh cashmere blanket". That's a good type of vision. It gives some good descriptiors that are consumer testable like warm, clean, fresh. There are some implied descriptors as well like soft and comfortable (i.e. easy to wear). But it isn't prescriptive such that it constrains the perfumers trying to meet that vision. If instead he had a vision of a specific smell then that can constrain too much. That's the point I was trying to make above.

As we both said, let's see how it smells when it is out.

thanks
    rick

Pharrell grew up about 20 mins away from me in norfolk/va beach, Virginia. I've met him a few times at some clubs and he's an extremely talented person who when he puts his mind to something, it usually always turns out great. Dont sleep on this, I definitely won't.

Pharrell isn't your typical "celebrity rapper" he actually prefers to stay behind the scenes and has a great eye. I am anxious to see if he can translate that over to fragrances as well. I'm not big on celebrity scents, but I will check out this one... if nothing else than to support my guy frmo the 757

Stargarden, I would stick to fragrances, because it's PAINFULLY obvious you don't have a clue about what you're talking about.. Seriously, just stop.

Go do some research on "Pharrell" and then revisit your comment and get back to me.... Pharrell is not just a "hip hop guy who has created a few albums and hits" but he's much more...Your "not taking anything away from Pharrell" statement couldn't ring more hollow...

"Pharrell Williams (born April 5, 1973), also known simply as Pharrell (/fəˈrɛl/), is an American singer-songwriter, rapper, record producer, musician, and fashion designer. Williams and Chad Hugo make up the record production duo The Neptunes, producing soul, hip hop and R&B music. He is also the lead vocalist and drummer of rock, funk, and hip hop band N.E.R.D, which he formed with Hugo and childhood friend Shay Haley. He released his first single "Frontin'" in 2003 and followed up with his debut solo album In My Mind in 2006.[1] His second album, Girl was released on March 3, 2014.[2][3]

As part of The Neptunes, Williams has produced numerous hit singles for various recording artists.[4] Williams has earned seven Grammy Awards including two with The Neptunes. He currently owns a media venture that encompasses entertainment, music, fashion, and art called i am OTHER. He is also the co-founder of the clothing brands Billionaire Boys Club and Ice Cream."

Although we seem to be reaching peak Pharrel, I have no issues with the dude and am not prepared to write off the scent. Can't say that I'm particularly excited about it. I never did end up getting a Billionaire Boys Club t-shirt, but love the stores in Harajuku.

I will give it a sniff on the basis that I have to smell anything CdG puts out.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'd think a clear vision would be a good thing. The fact that Pharrell knew what he wanted doesn't mean he's a dictator who takes no advice or feedback. As talented as he is, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to make perfume, so he's got to be in the hands of the noses doing the work. I remember the stories about Madonna's perfume. She had a definite vision of a perfume like her mother's, from what I remember reading, and she insisted on no musk. The perfumers finally twisted her arm and made her try a version with musk, and she was convinced. And it's actually a pretty good perfume, by most accounts.

Anyhow, there's no guarantee that anyone will like anything. I'm hopeful that it will be interesting.
    You know, I still have not tried this. Was it a limited release, or just badly promoted?

You know, I still have not tried this. Was it a limited release, or just badly promoted?
    The Madonna one? It's more of a WalMart type thing made by Coty. It shouldn't be hard to find—I see it in discount bins all over the place. It was well promoted when it first came out, but it was mainly in drug stores and whatnot.
    Last edited by deadidol; 17th April 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    The Madonna one? It shouldn't be hard to find. It's more of a WalMart type thing made by Coty. It shouldn't be hard to find—I see it in discount bins all over the place. It was well promoted when it first came out, but it was mainly in drug stores and whatnot.
    We are really out in the sticks here. I will have to seek it out sometime. I had sort of forgotten about it and never did see it at Von Maur.

I've seen the Truth or Dare fragrance going for $7 a bottle at the local discounters, $16.99-$29.99 for gift sets. More than likely I'll get a bottle sooner or later. And the flanker too...
    Fragrance Omnivore