Code of Conduct

Thread: Cinnemaldehyde

Default Cinnemaldehyde

I have been reading about different natural scents, and Cinnemaldehyde seems like a strong ingredient. I plan on making some myself through steam distillation, and seeing what I can do with it.

Does anyone here have any experience with Cinnemaldehyde?

Default Re: Cinnemaldehyde

I think cinnamon bark essential oil is around 95% cinnamaldehyde, so you don't really need to distill it yourself. Perfumers Apprentice and plenty others also sell it. I haven't actually used it pure, but I'm under the impression that it's a cinnamony, 'red hots' type smell.

Quote Originally Posted by edshepp View Post
    I think cinnamon bark essential oil is around 95% cinnamaldehyde, so you don't really need to distill it yourself. Perfumers Apprentice and plenty others also sell it. I haven't actually used it pure, but I'm under the impression that it's a cinnamony, 'red hots' type smell.
    I was planning on getting it out of the bark, instead of buying oil from someone else.

I plan on adding it to other things, so it won't be the main ingredient of anything.

I have hexyl and amyl cinnamaldehyde.. They're not strictly cinnamon, though.. Smell more easy to handle in a blend than cinnamon, though I didn't get a chance to work with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    I have hexyl and amyl cinnamaldehyde.. They're not strictly cinnamon, though.. Smell more easy to handle in a blend than cinnamon, though I didn't get a chance to work with them.
    See, that is what I want to do. Create small altered forms of these things, I want to create like a Cinnemaldehyde Benzoate and see what it smells like.

I just feel like it would be interesting. I came into fragrances from the position of organic sciences, so before I even got here my idea of "mixing smells" is more of on a bonding molecular level. I do hope to learn how to mix perfumes though, I feel like this is probably where chemistry started. Using oils to keep other oils from oxidizing and stuff, it IS chemistry, it's just not with molecular models and pure substances.

You can buy cinnamyl benzoate, although I believe that it's produced from cinnamyl alcohol rather than cinnamaldehyde.

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    You can buy cinnamyl benzoate, although I believe that it's produced from cinnamyl alcohol rather than cinnamaldehyde.
    That just means that there needs to be an intermediate to catalyze, and since it is usually made with the Alcohol form of Cinnemaldehyde, I would assume that something like Isopropyl Alcohol + Cinnemaldehyde + Benzoic acid = desired result. I am not sure though.

The point is that you might aswel just buy it. You can also buy cinnamyl cinnamate, which is typically produced from cinnamyl alcohol and cinnamic acid. It's the main component in Storax.

The point is that you might aswel just buy it. You can also buy cinnamyl cinnamate, which is typically produced from cinnamyl alcohol and cinnamic acid. It's the main component in Storax.
    I do not have a lot of money, and I plan on going further. So I will start with the raw plant oil, and see what I can end up with. No rhyme, no reason. Just mix, filter, waft, mix, filter, waft.

Cassia stem bark oil yield: 0.41–2.61%
    Cassia branch bark oil yield: 2.70–3.11%

The yield of oil from a lb is therefore likely to range from 1.86 to 14.11 grams. The cinnamaldehyde content usually ranges from 50 to 90%, so the yield is likely to be 0.93 to 12.69 grams. The specific gravity of cinnamaldehyde is 1.04 at 25 C, so grams and mls are roughly equivalent.

Or, you can save yourself the hassle and buy 1 fluid oz (30 ml) of cinnamaldehyde for $9, plus shipping.
    Last edited by Pears; 20th March 2014 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeyOne View Post
    I can pay $8 for 1 lb of Cinnamon and just distill the cinnemaldehyde out.
    so assuming you have a lab with decent steam distillation setup, and have the expertise to correctly steam distill
    materials you might get 9 grams per pound of cinnamon, or you could simply buy an ounce of Cinnamic Aldehyde for 9.00......
    then factor in the cost of the energy for distillation time, your time/labor, it doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeyOne View Post
    That just means that there needs to be an intermediate to catalyze, and since it is usually made with the Alcohol form of Cinnemaldehyde, I would assume that something like Isopropyl Alcohol + Cinnemaldehyde + Benzoic acid = desired result. I am not sure though.
    typically is is synthesized from benzoyl chloride and cinnamyl alcohol

@pears, you typed fater than I :_)

Cassia stem bark oil yield: 0.41–2.61%
    Cassia branch bark oil yield: 2.70–3.11%

The yield of oil from a lb is therefore likely to range from 1.86 to 14.11 grams. The cinnamaldehyde content usually ranges from 50 to 90%, so the yield is likely to be 0.93 to 12.69 grams. The specific gravity of cinnamaldehyde is 1.04 at 25 C, so grams and mls are roughly equivalent.

Or, you can save yourself the hassle and buy 1 fluid oz (30 ml) of cinnamaldehyde for $9, plus shipping.

Great minds think alike, Luigi.