Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Really Disappointed - Dior Homme Intense :-(

Hi guys, I've been following basenotes recently as im starting to find a bit of a passion for fragrances and thought id sign up and start posting.

Since the start of the year ive started to buy 3 or 4 fragrances every month. Where I live there's not really the shops where I can sniff for a good fragrance so im mostly blind buying.. unless i can get a sample from ebay.

Anyway, I read some excellent reviews on Dior Homme Intense on here and also watched many reviews on youtube.. It seemed perfect and exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a 50ml bottle of the stuff yesterday from a legit online shop and it arrived this morning... So after work toniight I got home, opened the package and tried it... Im getting that "lipstick" vibe straight away, I mean really strongly.. Iris is it? There's a tiny amount of coco coming through in the dry down but mostly Iris..

If im honest, I would say the batch I have must be one of the poorest as every review ive seen, it mentions the lovely coco, almost chocolate, creamy vanilla, maybe a little pear note coming through... I cant detect any of that.. just an overwhelming smell of a lady's makeup bag.. with a hint of coco..

The batch number is 2N01.

Not sure if I should sell it or stick with it and hopefully it grows on me.. What do you think, Have I possibly got the worst of the reformulated batches?

Default Re: Really Disappointed - Dior Homme Intense :-(

I doubt if it's a particularly bad batch. More likely, it's just that DHI has some new smells for you and you're still learning about them and trying to decide if there's any possible way you'll ever like them. We learn about fragrances just like we do anything else, and our opinions can certainly change.

I'd say give it a little time. I think it's fairly common for most people who are new to DHI not to know what to think about it, initially. The iris tends to stick out and annoy people, but then for whatever reason, it starts to grow on people. You'll notice the cocoa later on in the dry down and it's very nice.

If it doesn't grow on you, it will most likely have to be a learning experience for you to never buy before sampling. You can alway sell it on eBay, or here (after a year or 500 posts....whichever comes first).
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

My experience with this is similar. Not the super amazing scent many speak of - but rather - women's handbag smell

I have learned to truly test first before buying - in any amount. Parada, Dior Homme, D&G - I have tried all first and decided against. They just do not live up to what I would call a great scent.

Perhaps its just me and my expectations facing the realities of modern fragrances -

I do find Fahrenheit Absolute - if you can find it for a fair price - to be really good!

Quote Originally Posted by dutchbrit View Post
    Hi guys, I've been following basenotes recently as im starting to find a bit of a passion for fragrances and thought id sign up and start posting.

just an overwhelming smell of a lady's makeup bag.. with a hint of coco..

Not sure if I should sell it or stick with it and hopefully it grows on me.. What do you think, Have I possibly got the worst of the reformulated batches?
    Welcome to Basenotes, its an addictive hobby and a good community of enthusiasts.

Honestly, even the "worst" batch of DHI is really good. I've found over time that new fragrances, especially those that are a bit outside the norm, take a couple of wearings to come to grips with. I'd like to encourage you to try DHI at least a few more times, under different conditions to see if you come to enjoy it more. I suspect you will, once you've put it into context.

A couple of suggestions:
    Go extra-light with DHI, like 1-2 sprays, and see if it wears better for you. It's pretty strong, and strong + unisex notes aren't necessarily going to strike the right chord with you on the first go-around. I typically wear 3-4 sprays if it's a night-out occasion and cold. If it's indoors, warmer or just a more dress-up occasion, I'll usually do 2 sprays to tone it down.

I hope this one turns around for you, it's one of my very faves, and hopefully it'll be a good one for you too.

Yeah, I think if im honest, I believed the hype that this was a really fantastic smelling fragrance, which im sure it is for many people, but its just not for me..

My favourite fragrance is Gucci Pour Homme, which is obviously a masculine, spicy, woody scent.. maybe RedRaider430 is right and I should give it time and it may grow on me. It was only £35 for the 50ml, so not the end of the world if I hardly use it.

I just let my girl try it on her wrists and it smells much better on her, very feminine and quite sweet.

I've had it on myself for 3 hours or more now and I can barely detect the coco which is my biggest disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes, its an addictive hobby and a good community of enthusiasts.

Honestly, even the "worst" batch of DHI is really good. I've found over time that new fragrances, especially those that are a bit outside the norm, take a couple of wearings to come to grips with. I'd like to encourage you to try DHI at least a few more times, under different conditions to see if you come to enjoy it more. I suspect you will, once you've put it into context.

A couple of suggestions:
    Go extra-light with DHI, like 1-2 sprays, and see if it wears better for you. It's pretty strong, and strong + unisex notes aren't necessarily going to strike the right chord with you on the first go-around. I typically wear 3-4 sprays if it's a night-out occasion and cold. If it's indoors, warmer or just a more dress-up occasion, I'll usually do 2 sprays to tone it down.

I hope this one turns around for you, it's one of my very faves, and hopefully it'll be a good one for you too.
    Thanks, I'll go with that. It would be a bit foolish of me not to give it a chance. I'll wear it a few times on nights out over the coming weeks and see how I feel about it then.

This one definitely takes some time to get used to, but once having done that the appreciation will continue to grow. See how you feel after a few wearings. My guess is that your experience will be pleasantly different.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Well it worked for me with Cool Water (at first I could not stand it !) but after some time and revisiting I kind of like it for a casual easy going scent

Funny thing is - it took a sample of Green Irish Tweed for me to begin to understand the vibe of Cool Water and appreciate it ......

I know I have stepped in it now with that comment and I know they are different and go in different directions - but its what happened

This is interesting for me.. 2N01 is the batch I have..

Batches from 2007 to 2010 are really identical each other, with a crisp and beautiful vanilla-iris-chocolate accord, along with the best DHI tradition.
    Batches 2N01 and 2U01 are different from others: the chocolate seems less solid, so the iris take the advantage. Thes batches appears more Iris-centered. It's a paradox: if you love mainly the Iris note, you should seek year 2012 batches. Rarely I found a strongest Iris note. However, it's still DHI, although reformulated: no doubt. It could be considered almost a DHI "flanker".

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...9-batches.html

This is interesting for me.. 2N01 is the batch I have..

Batches from 2007 to 2010 are really identical each other, with a crisp and beautiful vanilla-iris-chocolate accord, along with the best DHI tradition.
    Batches 2N01 and 2U01 are different from others: the chocolate seems less solid, so the iris take the advantage. Thes batches appears more Iris-centered. It's a paradox: if you love mainly the Iris note, you should seek year 2012 batches. Rarely I found a strongest Iris note. However, it's still DHI, although reformulated: no doubt. It could be considered almost a DHI "flanker".

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...9-batches.html

Yeah it's crazy. I've seen that site before, it's so thorough. I just recently started looking to get DHI and I'm going to be paying attention to the serial before I purchase.

The latest bottle I have is from 2011. I'd be surprised if it smelled much different. I didn't think there was much of a difference between the original dhi and the black collar reform.

OP: I hope you don't get rid of it. Hold it until your nose evolves. Come back to it later and I bet you will love it.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 20th March 2014 at 06:24 AM.

The batches are all the same. The makeup accord (mainly iris) is one of the hallmarks of the fragrance. There's more cocoa in the Intense version.

Its a little high-pitched but Dior Homme EDT is a much better fragrance. Among other things Dior Homme Intense is a lesson in drowning the original with more candy (cocoa, etc), killing most of the compositional balance that made the original so good. Happens all the time these days. Sometimes it works but people crave the repulsive comfort fragrances drowning in amber and vanilla, no matter how bad they are.

Probably oughta try L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th March 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Blind buying is dangerous - to state the bleeding obvious. No fragrance could live up to the hype that arises in many discussions here. The thing you need to do is work out whose opinions you actually trust. There are some posters here whose reviews and opinions are particularly informative to me. Some of them have similar tastes to mine, some don't. Other posters could praise a perfume till the cows come home but it means very little to me.

Secondly, as others have said, don't get rid of the DHI yet. Wait a while and see how your tastes settle out. This may actually take a while (years, in some cases). Put the bottle away and get on with smelling other things.

Finally, where are you that you can't find samples? Maybe if you let us know we can suggest good sources for you.

And you didn't see the warnings about the lipstick vibe plastered all over BN? To be honest I get very little cocoa from DH or DHI. They're nice enough scents, but I can see how the iris creates a somewhat challenging feminine feeling to both scents.

I don't think it is a batch issue at all. That's just how it smells. Maybe try wearing it in different ways. For example, DHI turned into an overly sweet vanilla bomb when it got on my clothing.

I agree that it is a quality scent, so it might be worthwhile holding onto for a while to see if your tastes change. I've only really started to get into iris as a note in male/unisex scents recently.

Have you considered ordering small decants from places like Surrender to Chance and the Perfumed Court? It is an easy way to avoid these kinds of disappointments.

Like others have mentioned, give it a few wears and see what happens.

Interesting... I could hardly detect any coco yesterday, but today after about 3-4 hours of wearing it... Im starting to smell a nice blend of coco with the iris.. maybe some vanilla too? Very interesting as last night I was getting nothing but iris and some sort of pear note..

Have just ordered a decant of L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme as suggested above. It was actually on my list to try so I thought its best to get a sample when possible rather than to blind buy a bottle.

Thanks for the replies too.

If you're mainly wanting a cocoa scent, LIDGE would be the one. I can literally smell it weeks later on a shirt after I wear it. Some don't like the opening to LIDGE, either, but it dries down to straight-up cocoa to me.

I enjoy both DHI and LIDGE, but LIDGE is probably more acceptable to most guys....at least initially.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

DHI is one of those frags that gets better each time you wear it. The first few times can be a bit off putting but given time it will become one of your favorites.

Adore DHI and love its drydown. My most used fragrance in winter. Niche quality at a designer price and i find it much more versatile than lidge.
    I find lidge to be a mature scent and didnt get wowed by it. It was a no brainer between dhi and lidge for me, with lidge getting unused.

Interesting... I could hardly detect any coco yesterday, but today after about 3-4 hours of wearing it... Im starting to smell a nice blend of coco with the iris.. maybe some vanilla too? Very interesting as last night I was getting nothing but iris and some sort of pear note..

Have just ordered a decant of L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme as suggested above. It was actually on my list to try so I thought its best to get a sample when possible rather than to blind buy a bottle.

Thanks for the replies too.
    You see, it's getting better already

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    And you didn't see the warnings about the lipstick vibe plastered all over BN? To be honest I get very little cocoa from DH or DHI. They're nice enough scents, but I can see how the iris creates a somewhat challenging feminine feeling to both scents.

I don't think it is a batch issue at all. That's just how it smells. Maybe try wearing it in different ways. For example, DHI turned into an overly sweet vanilla bomb when it got on my clothing.

I agree that it is a quality scent, so it might be worthwhile holding onto for a while to see if your tastes change. I've only really started to get into iris as a note in male/unisex scents recently.

Have you considered ordering small decants from places like Surrender to Chance and the Perfumed Court? It is an easy way to avoid these kinds of disappointments.
    My thoughts exactly. In fact, I don't think you would have made the connection to lipstick had you not read/heard it in a review somewhere. Blind buying is fun, but it's always better to sample first. Just because some guys on YouTube like it, doesn't mean you will.

Two pieces of advice to anyone new to Basenotes :
    1. Don't invest in the hype.
    2. Don't invest in any batch variation foolishness.

I think a lot of this has to do with ones age and what one uses as a point of reference for scents. I have found many of the new wonder fragrances to be frankly awful. Or at the best unimpressive. And truly over priced.

This is why basenotes has a beginners area and it should be treated as such - telling a 15 year old the run out and get some niche fragrance is silly. Just Starting out should be just that - basics, intro scents etc.... This is not an insult to new people - but rather a favor to them so they will not jump in with both feet - waist a sizable amount of money and then have to pretend that the emperor really does have cloths.

And for other newbies (like me) read the reviews and Do Your Own Due Diligence. A wiser more experienced person than me noted it well - often when a new scent comes out many jump on the band wagon and shower it with praise - but let it sit for a few months and read the updated comments - the popularity fades and important over time feedback usually pulls many of the Wounder Fragrances back to earth. (sadly its often because there is a NEWer wonder fragrance on the market!! Rush out and get this one !)

When I first got mine I got disappointed too, but you have to give it a couple of wears, it really grows on you!
    Don't give up, it's a wonderful scent.

Basenotes Junkie

with some notes your nose will 'gravitate' to them and smell them immediately with complete disregard to others. Everyone is different. I tend to smell citruses, cinnamon, and vanilla everywhere. It takes a little while of smelling it to get used to the immediate notes and smell the rest.

rick

I have a 2012 bottle of DHI and when I bought it in 2012, I smelled the lipstick tones for about hour and a half and after that it was pure chocolate for 12+ hours. I used up about a half of the 100ml bottle and switched to other fragrances. I wore DHI again a couple of weeks ago, after quite a while, and all I could smell was the lipstick (iris), even on the drydown. I don't know if the perfume aged or if my nose changed, lol

When I first tested DHI I was not impressed at all, but after my nose matured, I absolutely love this fragrance. Same with Tuscan leather, hated it at first, but now its in the top 10 along with DHI. Give it some time.

Although DHI doesnt last long enough on my skin, It's still one of my favourite to wear.
    Like Triceptive mentioned, I wasnt impressed either but DHI really grew on me.
    It's one of those fragrances that u have to own!

Stick with it. It's one of the best frags out there. As a side note, I would recommend against blind buying generally. Also as you start out you are going to perceive notes differently now than when you get into this deeper. Things that seem out there or avant garde now will seem common hat in a year. You will also be able to draw comparisons "hey this smells like that except that has more of this.... ". Its all good fun. Overall remember that you can't always tell whether or not you'll love a fragrance by looking at the note lineup. You have to test it out . If you're on the fence give it a few good wears, stop and go back to it later after you've tried others in the genre. Hope that helps.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman