Code of Conduct

Default What kind of descriptive is lipstick?

I see this used so much to describe a fragrance, usually dior homme or homme intense.

Is it a literal smell comparison or simply a way of calling something feminine?

Default Re: What kind of descriptive is lipstick?

It's usually the Iris note that makes people think of lipstick or make-up.

Why? How does any guy know what that smells like?

The iris note is used in a lot of cosmetics. So if you have ever had to get a packet of cigarettes out of your girlfriends handbag for a smoke then you will know the smell.

What?! You don't go around sniffing ladies cosmetics???
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The iris note is used in a lot of cosmetics.
    Very true. Smell it in a lot of my wife's stuff.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting. Well, not really, just another reason to support my feeling superior, but sure fellas, whatever you say.

I'll have to find something else to compare this smell to. Something manly.

I actually hate the smell if im honest... I just got a bottle of DHI today actually and its a massive turn off.. I want to like it, But when the heart of the scent is this lipstick, makeup, cosmetic smell.. its really hard to enjoy wearing it.. Im hoping it grows on me..

Partly a smell comparison, based on a certain more or less perceptible sensations (at least, in my opinion). DH is indeed one of the best examples because, to my nose, it has indeed this powdery, somehow sweet, at times slightly synthetic note I personally (again, purely subjectively) associate with the smell not just of lipstick, but also of makeup sets/kits altogether.

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    What?! You don't go around sniffing ladies cosmetics???

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Interesting. Well, not really, just another reason to support my feeling superior, but sure fellas, whatever you say.

Man lipstick?

If you look closely at some of the macho actors in films closely you can tell they are wearing lipstick and makeup.lol

Yeah - probably smells much the same as any other lipstick

Although Guerlain use a violet scent in some of their cosmetics...

If you look closely at some of the macho actors in films closely you can tell they are wearing lipstick and makeup.lol
    Always!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Yup! And most commentators on TV.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Blog Entries

I used to have a lipstick - by Yardly. It was one of my first. It happened to be white and sparkly. Back in the 1960's. It smelled exactly like Iris Silver Mist. It was a creamy carrot-root scent. I was only 12 but I looked fab in my mini-skirt!

Yup, nothing new to me.

You'll have to find something else to compare the smell of lipstick to ?
    Like what ?
    What's so complicated about recognising the smell of lipstick ?
    ... and what is there to feel superior about not recognising it ?

Blog Entries

Not all lipstick smells like this anyway. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Not all lipstick smells like this anyway. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
    They're called manties, and no bunching at all, just curious

Blog Entries

Some smells more waxy and oily than others. Just go to the cosmetic counter sometime if you're curious. You can rub some on a q-tip and sniff it. Say you're looking for your sister or girl-friend.

Femmy garbage? Did you actually say that?
    Last edited by Foustie; 18th March 2014 at 11:14 PM.

[QUOTE=BeyondTheBox;3099693]I wish I knew, I have no clue what lipstick smells like. I'm a man, I don't go around sniffing femmy garbage. It has NO place in my life.

Plenty of time for that after your upcoming marriage

- or was that someone else?
    Last edited by lpp; 18th March 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Classic overcompensation.
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

I thought anyone who had ever kissed a woman wearing lipstick knew what it smelled like

Might have sinus issues 'though?

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I thought anyone who had ever kissed a woman wearing lipstick knew what it smelled like

This!

Nope, no clue what lipstick smells like, or any makeup. Never gotten a smell from such things before.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Classic overcompensation.
    Classic underwhelming underdog comeback. Transference is the only true overcompensation. Well displayed here.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 18th March 2014 at 11:14 PM.

So, maybe the way forward is for the O.P. to go sniff some lipstick as this thread isn't really making huge progress.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    There is no indication OP has ever come close to doing that..

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    So, maybe the way forward is for the O.P. to go sniff some lipstick as this thread isn't really making huge progress.

Obviously a poor troll attempt..

So what else can you compare this Iris note to? I obviously have NO clue about the typical comparison....?

Well maybe go & check out some fragrances?
    basenotes iris fragrances site:www.basenotes.net

We can't relay the scent, as yet, so if you would like to know, check out some things with the note - or some lipstick if that's easier.

Maybe return after some testing.
    Last edited by lpp; 18th March 2014 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Obviously a poor troll attempt..
    No, I'm seriously inquiring here.

You may not be willing to understand, your all might not be, but the fact remains that I've never gotten a smell from lipstick or makeup.

To me is just like cardboard, nothing really there to smell. It's more am absence of smell...

Well - maybe go & have your sinuses checked out then.

Blog Entries

I find that it's a bit like flour or bread, only "nicer". Some people think it's much like carrots - I get that, too, but in the end, iris just smells like iris. That scent is slightly different to different people, based on what they compare it to.

Comparing a bunch of iris fragrances to each other is - by far - the best way to isolate the note, IMO, short of getting some pure tincture, etc.

Okay. So yeasty then, perhaps?

Blog Entries

Iris Silver Mist- Hello, I'm getting a little weary of repeating myself. It does vary in intensity and there's often a good deal of waxiness or oiliness along with it. None of those scents are especially strong, though and sometimes they are accompanied by some faint rose perfume tossed in.

Blog Entries

Okay. So yeasty then, perhaps?
    Somewhat. More bready than yeasty. It's a drier and more chalky smell, to me. There is a point where yeasty goes into a kind of brewery, fermentation smell - iris is the other way, to me. It smells like yeasty minus the ethanolic, fermentative aspects.

I just put on some Prada Infusion d'Iris, and it's great stuff. I can always smell the iris clearly in it (even though the nature of the iris is debated, and I won't vouch for the naturalness of it, or the amount).

Iris/Orris root in DHI smells waxy, soft, some call powder, maybe slight woody, like cedar, but not strong like a cedar plank.
    I think soft or smooth, lacking edge inclines many to call something "feminine".

People say the same for Midnight In Paris.
    I find it modern, masculine, and well done, others find it "too soft" and call it "feminine" rather than saying its just not for them.
    It gets that from Benzoin, not Iris.

For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Interesting. I'll try some more similar smells.

I bought a bottle of DHI and when I sprayed it for the first time, I immediately thought, "This smells like lipstick!" The red, thick lipstick that my refined, elegant grandmother used to wear. I had forgotten that reviews mentioned a "lipstick" accord, but I checked and sure enough, everyone mentioned DHI smelling like lipstick.

Way to many thing to address here...

When I smoked I did so outdoors, and here in the northwest, you don't smell anything but fresh, bustling air, when outside. Plus I only did so when drinking so my senses were already dulled.

Now, for kissing a woman... Maybe being from the northwest (demographics) plays a bigger part in this than others could understand. All I know is, the only smell on a woman that I enjoy the physical company of is lip Balm/chapstick, paired with her perfume... And, sadly, often stale cigarettes.

I've been with a woman no longer than 6 months at a time, but have had the proverbial drawer dedicated for my things. I've brushed my teeth next to a vast array of makeup on a counter and NEVER smelled anything from it. I smell the lotion she puts on. Or the soap on the dish next to the sink. But NEVER the cosmetics.

So the concept of smelling like lipstick truly, no joke; no fingers pointed, befuddles me.

I'm sorry if that is odd or hard to understand, but maybe it's simply that, an inability to understand. I'm finding that to be true and that's why I asked. Was hoping for something more relatable for me.

One of my favorite quotes was always, "The greatest distance between people is misunderstanding."

Can't recall who coined it, but it fits well here, on both ends. So sorry for my lacking.

LOL what an odd thread!

...here in the northwest, you don't smell anything but fresh, bustling air, when outside...
    So, I guess you're not in Tacoma.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    So, I guess you're not in Tacoma.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    LOL what an odd thread!
    Curiouser and curiouser.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I'm a man, I don't go around sniffing femmy garbage. It has NO place in my life.

I smell farts, old shoes, bad food and man stuff like that.
    femmy garbage !! ouch

Way to many thing to address here...

When I smoked I did so outdoors, and here in the northwest, you don't smell anything but fresh, bustling air, when outside. Plus I only did so when drinking so my senses were already dulled.

Now, for kissing a woman... Maybe being from the northwest (demographics) plays a bigger part in this than others could understand. All I know is, the only smell on a woman that I enjoy the physical company of is lip Balm/chapstick, paired with her perfume... And, sadly, often stale cigarettes.

I've been with a woman no longer than 6 months at a time, but have had the proverbial drawer dedicated for my things. I've brushed my teeth next to a vast array of makeup on a counter and NEVER smelled anything from it. I smell the lotion she puts on. Or the soap on the dish next to the sink. But NEVER the cosmetics.

So the concept of smelling like lipstick truly, no joke; no fingers pointed, befuddles me.

I'm sorry if that is odd or hard to understand, but maybe it's simply that, an inability to understand. I'm finding that to be true and that's why I asked. Was hoping for something more relatable for me.

One of my favorite quotes was always, "The greatest distance between people is misunderstanding."

Can't recall who coined it, but it fits well here, on both ends. So sorry for my lacking.

A lot of us just go & sniff loads of things to find out what the different things smell like - it helps.

It's difficult to see how this thread is going to help anyone right now.

i agree with you lpp

It was all over with the first reply but there ya go . . .
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

We normally have a load of complaints when we lock threads but the consensus seems to be that's the only viable option here