Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Top 5 from the Floral, Oriental, Woody and Fresh families.

Hi guys, As I understand it, there are four main families in the fragrance world. Floral, Oriental, Woody and Fresh.. Could you maybe list your top 5 fragrances for the 4 different families?

I think it would be interesting to see where certain fragrances are put and if others agree or not, also could some fragrances be listed in multiple families?

Default Re: Top 5 from the Floral, Oriental, Woody and Fresh families.

One can probably find as many different classification. i think you're referring to something like Michael Edward's fragrance wheel
    http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.com/fragrancewheel.aspx

Also, as you point out, many fragrances have aspects of different famiies, so they could be classified in different ways. In addition, a very important category for masculine perfumes, aromatic fougeres, is somewhat inbetween fresh and woody.

That said, just for fun:
    Floral: few in masculine perfumery. Insense', famously, Amouage Gold man (floral oriental). Plenty in feminine, one for many, Joy
    Fresh: any modern citrus you can think of (the various Acqua di Parma colonia and what else), and the aquatics (which I dislike).
    Woody: this includes many leathers, from ELdO Rien to Aramis, Knize Ten etc etc, plus plenty of woods and chypres (Yatagan, Derby). Curiously, Edwards classifies vetiver as woody, which is correct in a way, but to me vetiver smells primarily fresh and crisp, and to my nose they are more closely related to the fresh family (eg galbanum).
    Oriental: some of the Amouage of choice (Interlude, Fate), (eg CDG) and many classics (feminine or otherwise) like Shalimar etc etc

cacio