Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Classic (style) chypres that don't disappoint

What are your favorite old or new chypres? Male or female.
    So many are discontinued due to oak moss restrictions. Luckily, new ones do exist. Let's keep each other informed.

Givenchy Gentleman-vintage
    The Party in Manhattan
    Profumum-Rosae Mundi
    Mazzolari-Mazzolari
    Mazzolari-Lui
    Mazzolari-Vetiver
    MDCI-Cuir Garamante
    MDCI-Chypre Palatin

​Just a few to get you started.

Default Re: Classic (style) chypres that don't disappoint

New and Unisex. Anat Fritz Tzora.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

I am totally baffled by this class to be honest.
    Is Chypre Mousse a chypre in anything but name only? It is very mossy and is outstanding.
    How about je suis un Homme?
    or Dior Jules or Bel Ami?
    what do these fragrances have in common with Chypre Palatin?

Cabochard
    Azuree
    Both currently available and inexpensive.

I adore Chypre Palatin. It's terrific but it doesn't wear like my idea of a chypre on me??

There is a gorgeous Rose Chypre that keeps escaping me but I have tried it. I think that it is from the Parfumerie Generale line. If anyone knows what I am talking about ( ), please enlighten me!

New
    MDCI Enlevement au serail and (in part) promesse de l'aube (I actually don't perceive Chypre Palatin as chypre, old or new, but I need to smell more properly)
    Estee Lauder Jasmine white moss (a bit too clean relative to true green chypres, but good nonetheless)

Old
    too many to mention. In recent weeks, I have found decent prices for Miss Balmain.

cacio

See Cacio said it too.......

Foustie:

didn't see your email. I know of a Rose Chypree by Tauer. I tried it once, didn't really get much chypre per se - but as usual, without oakmoss, the concept of chypre must be enlarged as necessary. Good nonetheless.

cacio

Mitsouko & AdP Profumo are my two 'reference' chypres, still. The older Profumo seems to do with plum what Mitsouko did with peach.

Cuir d'Oranger
    hasemerged as massive favourite in the last year or so and I also quite like Azemour les Orangers

Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille
    (Annick Goutal) was a pleasant surprise but more in the Aromatics Elixir bitter chypre with patch area. I read recently they were pulling it from the line but that's unconfirmed.

Diaghilev and some of the recent uber-expensive Roja Dove stuff is pretty nice but a bit too 'tightly packed' for me - 'smug chypres'. They 'work' but there's no real romance to them. That said, to find new compositions of this calibre in these strait-laced 'nanny state' IFRA'ed times is verging on a miracle - go, Roja!

Not strictly speaking a chypre but I can sense the oakmoss in Granville (Dior) under the piney / herbal stuff - the whole thing is breezy enough to allow it shine through in much the same way as it does with Sous le Vent a lighter EDT chypre feel.

Enjoying Jubilation 25 still . . . and if you come across it (it may have been pulled, wouldn't surprise me because it's good) Cosmic from Solange is a rollicking feelgood hoot of a chypre - nothing is held back, just BIG FUN.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th March 2014 at 11:20 PM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I adore Chypre Palatin. It's terrific but it doesn't wear like my idea of a chypre on me??
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I actually don't perceive Chypre Palatin as chypre, old or new, but I need to smell more properly
    My bottle seems relatively light on the oakmoss, leaving it's credentials as a true chypre somewhat blurred. (An observation rather than a criticism though - it is spectacularly beautiful stuff).

Thanks Cacio. Yes I've tried Rose Chypree once too. It's not that one, and I have remembered that it's not from PG either, of course it's not, duh, what was I thinking? It's in the Parfums D'Empire line. Hopefully someone attracted to this thread (thanks kumquat) will know it.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    How about Dior Jules
    That's a fougère.

For a classic chypre look no further: Eau Sauvage. Especially the older oakmoss containing versions are great.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Beftus View Post

For a classic chypre look no further: Eau Sauvage. Especially the older oakmoss containing versions are great.
    Dang! forgot all about that one. I recently compared a well preserved ES EdC to the current EdT, and they were remarkably close. The current stuff remains quite good.

Blog Entries

As far as I'm concerned a proper chypre should at least be greenish and sappy. If you're lucky, it will also be mossy and or leathery. Chypres tend to be deep in structure , except for something like the modern so-called "pink chypre" of which the only decent example (I can think of) is ​31 Rue Cambone. It is at least tangy.
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th March 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    The current stuff remains quite good.
    It sure is very good stuff. I bought a 200ml bottle last year when I finished my 100ml bottle. The 2001 limited edition ES 100% Glacon (AKA 100% Cooling Effect) smells like the good old ES stuff with some menthol thrown in. ES 100% Glacon is difficult to find but worth having, sometimes a few pop up on eBay.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Blog Entries

I concur with Azurée, Cabochard, Vintage Acqua di Parma Profumo & Mitsouko (2 standards).
    Adding- Vintage- Coty Chypre, Estée Lauder Private Collection,
    Houbigant- Aperçu, Madame Rochas, Vintage- Houbigant- Quelque Fleurs,
    Vintage Caron-Tabac Blond, Fleurs de Rocailles, Infini (everything, really).
    ​Guerlain- Sous les Vent, Vol du Nuit

Aperçu
    is charming and very mossy and sappy. Still available. Get it while it's hot!
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th March 2014 at 06:04 PM.

Eau de Campagne [Sisley] is a gorgeous refreshing chypre.
    Perfect for summer.

Aigues Vives
    Rafting
    Seigneur
    Cosaque
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aigues Vives
    Rafting
    Seigneur
    Cosaque
    I looked these up, Hednic. They look interesting.

http://www.galimard.com/index.php/en...e/for-men.html

I would like to underline Estee Lauder Private Collection. It's been mentioned but I think it deserves its own post as a classic chypre that's still going strong and is very reasonably priced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I would like to underline Estee Lauder Private Collection. It's been mentioned but I think it deserves its own post as a classic chypre that's still going strong and is very reasonably priced.
    Yes, I think it's still very good. Also, Azurée needs emphasizing. Aliage is still great as is Estée although both of those are acquired tastes and not for the faint of heart.
    I don't mind the current Chanel No. 19, but once you've had the vintage EDP, you'll never want any other juice. But if you have to settle for modern, the parfum is the way to go.

Roja Dove Diaghilev. Amazing stuff!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Blog Entries

http://www.ajne.com/shop/product.php...&cat=23&page=2

http://www.ajne.com/shop/product.php...&cat=23&page=3

http://www.ajne.com/shop/product.php...&cat=24&page=2

Try some of these beauties from "Ajne".

Espoir
    Printemps
    Savoir

All of the Ajne scents are well-blended and dense. The ingredients are high quality and long-lasting. I'm not sure about the claim of "all-natural" but I really like the way these smell. They also tout these as being worn by celebrities. Oh well. They're very good anyway.
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th March 2014 at 11:38 PM.

It's been my experience that most classic chypres have been drastically reformulated, even some of the newer ones such as the once amazing chypre and still great floral Enlevement au Serail.

A few:

Bel Ami (vintage)
    Mitsouko (vintage)
    Pour Monsieur (vintage)
    Yatagan (vintage)
    Derby (vintage)
    Onda Parfum Extrait (vintage)
    Aramis 900 (vintage)
    Sagamore
    Coriolan
    Eau de Rochas Homme (vintage)
    Eau Sauvage (vintage)
    Aramis (vintage)
    Leonard pour Homme (original 1980 formulation)
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (vintage)
    No. 19 (vintage)
    Aromatics Elixir (vintage)
    Miss Balmain (vintage)
    Diorella (vintage)
    Enlevement au Serail (vintage)
    Femme (vintage)
    Bandit (vintage)
    Futur (vintage)
    Azuree (vintage)
    Cristalle (vintage)
    Knowing (vintage)
    Vie de Chateau (vintage)
    Acqua di Parma Profumo (vintage)
    Sous le Vent
    Rose de Nuit (vintage)
    Jubilation 25
    Cabochard (vintage)

I think of Givenchy Gentleman as a classic woods fragrance rather than a chypre. Excellent,though ! Vintage that is. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 19th March 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's been my experience that most classic chypres have been drastically reformulated, even some of the newer ones such as the once amazing chypre and still great floral Enlevement au Serail.

A few:

Bel Ami (vintage)
    Mitsouko (vintage)
    Pour Monsieur (vintage)
    Yatagan (vintage)
    Derby (vintage)
    Onda Parfum Extrait (vintage)
    Aramis 900 (vintage)
    Sagamore
    Coriolan
    Eau de Rochas Homme (vintage)
    Eau Sauvage (vintage)
    Aramis (vintage)
    Leonard pour Homme (original 1980 formulation)
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (vintage)
    No. 19 (vintage)
    Aromatics Elixir (vintage)
    Miss Balmain (vintage)
    Diorella (vintage)
    Enlevement au Serail (vintage)
    Femme (vintage)
    Bandit (vintage)
    Futur (vintage)
    Azuree (vintage)
    Cristalle (vintage)
    Knowing (vintage)
    Vie de Chateau (vintage)
    Acqua di Parma Profumo (vintage)
    Sous le Vent
    Rose de Nuit (vintage)
    Jubilation 25
    Cabochard (vintage)

I think of Givenchy Gentleman as a classic woods fragrance rather than a chypre. Excellent,though ! Vintage that is. :-)
    SIGH

Derby
    Chypre Palatin

Trussardi by Trussardi

Floral leather chypre. Lush, wet, green and vintage contains a good amount of oak moss and galbanum.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Thanks Cacio. Yes I've tried Rose Chypree once too. It's not that one, and I have remembered that it's not from PG either, of course it's not, duh, what was I thinking? It's in the Parfums D'Empire line. Hopefully someone attracted to this thread (thanks kumquat) will know it.
    I'm not sure about the Parfums d'Empire line; can't recall a rose chypre there, but I do recall that PG's Corps et Ames (the original, not the newer "fresh" version) is a green chypre-type thing with prominent rose.

Lightbulb Re: Classic (style) chypres that don't disappoint

Cabochard
    Azuree
    Both currently available and inexpensive.

There is a gorgeous Rose Chypre that keeps escaping me but I have tried it. I think that it is from the Parfumerie Generale line. If anyone knows what I am talking about ( ), please enlighten me!
    Hi Foustie - Could it be that you are talking about Parfumérie Générale no. 26 - Isparta?

Lovely oriental chypre with Turkish rose , patchouli, incense, oud.

Not to forget

the classic Nuit de Noël l'extrait,

and a great modern chypre:

Iris Nobile

Though I second the psts above by Pluran and all the contributors, still somehow feeling that there are so many names yet so little time and-or blank posting space to name and honor all of them.

Thus, a very incomplete and perfectible cross-section (too short to be named a list) with some of my favorites:

Francesco Smalto PH
    Chevignon Brand for Men
    Spazio Krizia
    Joint by Roccobarocco
    Aramis Tuscany (including its higher concentration flanker)
    Le Dix by Balenciaga
    Silences by Jacomo
    Yardley Citrus&Wood, as well as Fine Scottish Soaps EDT (surprisingly affordable and not the likeliest choices as chypre scents, yet interesting and non-linear renditions of this scent category)
    CK Eternity for Men, especially vintage (not sure if it counts either, but still quite similar to the overall concept)
    RL Polo Green
    Paco Rabanne PH
    Gucci Nobile (all of these being somewhat closer to a fougere, even a barbershop and powerhouse style of fragrance rather than an actual chypre, with still with some crossover into the latter category)
    the initial Jaguar for Men (green bottle, preferably vintage, with just enough citrus, leather, wood and spicy herbs, as well as some almost resinous/mossy undertones to be more or less of a chpyre)
    Hermes Rocabar
    Boucheron PH, especially the EDP flanker (the chypre-like accents of thicker, less zesty citrus, as well as a somehow stronger drydown being more pronounced in this one)
    Jovoy Hesperidee
    Axe Chypre (surprisingly good and not just inaccurately named, actually less offensive and more structured, versatile and imaginative than actually expected from this brand)
    John Players Classic Green (again, a solid cheapie with unexpectedly good chypre notes)
    Hugh Parsons Yellow and La Martina Hombre- apparently, both of these niche scents have almost solely citrus-based top notes, but still closer to a chypre once the final sillage is reached
    Face a Face and Homme- both by Faconnable
    also by the aforementioned house of Houbigant: for some reason, Duc de Vervins also smells like a smokier, darker yet also (in a positive way) quite formal, conservative chypre to me.

And the list may well go on almost indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Trussardi by Trussardi

Floral leather chypre. Lush, wet, green and vintage contains a good amount of oak moss and galbanum.
    Yes, this is good and strong.

I also want to add:

L'Arte by Gucci (discontinued, I only could get the EdT, a rose chypre)
    Niki de Saint Phalle (lush and green)
    and the before mentioned
    Silences by Jacomo

Blog Entries

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this- Turbulences. Absolutely golden and mossy perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'm not sure about the Parfums d'Empire line; can't recall a rose chypre there, but I do recall that PG's Corps et Ames (the original, not the newer "fresh" version) is a green chypre-type thing with prominent rose.
    Thanks Kagey. I think that the Parfums D'Empire is called Eau Suave? If you look at the notes it seems like a fruity floral but it's actually quite a high pitched chypre, albeit a rose chypre.

I should have mentioned my gorgeous Armani for Women. The original, from the eighties, a floral chypre. It is heavy on the oakmoss, but less bitter than some as it is rounded out with floral and woody notes. It is very rich. It has that chypre twang though.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Hi Foustie - Could it be that you are talking about Parfumérie Générale no. 26 - Isparta?

Lovely oriental chypre with Turkish rose , patchouli, incense, oud.
    Hi Puma. It's not but Isparta sounds right up my street anyway! Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

vintage Bel Ami from Hermes does not disappoint. Very happy with that one!
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

So many! *sigh* indeed.

kumquat's 'greenish and sappy' got me thinking of Weil de Weil - a classic chypre that often gets overlooked.

Default Classic (style) chypres that don't disappoint

Aramis 900 with less aldehydes, or Boucheron Pour Homme with less soapiness, so something halfway between the two, would be just about perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't seen Scherrer by Scherrer mentioned here yet, so here it is!

Blog Entries

http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/jourO.shtml

These are wonderful suggestions! Keep them coming, please. I remembered another one I have that I like. It's from
    Sonoma Scent Studio- Jour Ensoleillé.

And don't forget Ormonde Jayne Woman (especially) although Man ​is also good, but maybe a little flatter. Your mileage may vary.

Sublime by Patou, a golden floral chypre.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Vintage chypres that still can be found:

Fête -Molyneux
    Vivre - Molyneux
    Cialenga - Balenciaga
    Câline - Jean Patou
    Genny - Genny

Chypres in production:

Chypre d'Orient - Molinard smells very similar to vintage Chanel #22
    Aromatics Elixir
    Y - YSL

Blog Entries

My current chypre obsession is the dirt-cheap new re-release of Jai Ose. (http://www.fragrancenet.com/jai-ose-...wf/en_US/01276). It's got that magic where the bergamot fuses with greens while it passes through galbanum and loads of oakmoss. And it's also leathery and drenched in violet leaf. It's amazing, really.

My much more expensive chypre obsession is Krigler's Cozy Cedarwood 72 Elegant (it's a flanker they have at their shop but don't list online). It's like Bois du Portugal crossed with Derby with a slug of Santal Noble and some CDG-esque smoky woods and leather. It's a current release but exists in a perfect place between a classic masculine chypre powerhouse and the best of modern niche.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Cabochard
    Miss Dior (vintage)
    Diaghilev
    Fetish pour femme parfum extrait

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Hedonist, didn't you just get a vintage bottle of 'Bandit'? that's a beauty.

also I need to mention vintage Vivara, in case you ever run across it. And Vent Vert, vintage.
    Current juice includes MDCI- Une Coeur En Mai, it borders on musky, but still, deliciously green and tangy.
    Another you may like to know about is the lightly musky, Ô de Lancome still in production, but often under the counter. Musky, light green and mossy. Very spring-like. One of the only good things from Lancôme.

One of the best Classic Chypres that i have tried recently was from the natural indie Joanne Bassett. She's little known i guess, but her fragrances are amazing and from all i have tried her Chypre Intimacy is the one that won my heart. I like how she was able to create something harmonious, rich, with a good dose of oakmoss, a very rich patchouli, a good dose of expensive mysore sandalwood. It also has her signature, plenty of citrus notes, and some floral touches to warm and round things. It's a very expensive beautiful thing, but really good.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    My current chypre obsession is the dirt-cheap new re-release of Jai Ose. (http://www.fragrancenet.com/jai-ose-...wf/en_US/01276). It's got that magic where the bergamot fuses with greens while it passes through galbanum and loads of oakmoss. And it's also leathery and drenched in violet leaf. It's amazing, really.

My much more expensive chypre obsession is Krigler's Cozy Cedarwood 72 Elegant (it's a flanker they have at their shop but don't list online). It's like Bois du Portugal crossed with Derby with a slug of Santal Noble and some CDG-esque smoky woods and leather. It's a current release but exists in a perfect place between a classic masculine chypre powerhouse and the best of modern niche.
    You are one of the first person that i see talking about Jai Ose. It's a fragrance that i saw a lot of times on fragrancenet and for good prices, but i wasn't sure if it was good or not. It seems very interesting from what you wrote.

One that i barely see people talking and which impressed me a lot was Yves Saint Laurent Y in vintage formulation. Don't know if it's still easy to get, but what a chypre full of class and style - the thing that YSL seems not to do anymore

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Hedonist, didn't you just get a vintage bottle of 'Bandit'? that's a beauty.

also I need to mention vintage Vivara, in case you ever run across it. And Vent Vert, vintage.
    Current juice includes MDCI- Une Coeur En Mai, it borders on musky, but still, deliciously green and tangy.
    Another you may like to know about is the lightly musky, Ô de Lancome still in production, but often under the counter. Musky, light green and mossy. Very spring-like. One of the only good things from Lancôme.
    Yes I did! Kumquat it's divine.

for swap/sale:

Grossmith Hasu no Hana

Another one for Diaghilev. Astonishing stuff.

Oh gosh…WAAAY too many to mention

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    One that i barely see people talking and which impressed me a lot was Yves Saint Laurent Y in vintage formulation. Don't know if it's still easy to get, but what a chypre full of class and style - the thing that YSL seems not to do anymore
    See my post #41 in this thread.

Y vintage formulation is one of my all-time favourites and one of my preferred summer fragrances because of its legendary longevity and fresh vibe even in hot weather. Vintage formulation is available at low prices in the bay.

As to J'ai Osé, I do know it, but there was some note in it which put me off; don't know what it was.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    A bright new star has just risen in the firmament of the chypre genre: Étoile d'Or, re-created by Amélie Bourgeois for Volnay. Nothing less than a Mitsouko for our times. Go give it a try and you surely will have to admit that I am not exaggerating (well... only a tad ).
    Where do you find this for sale or sample? I looked it up but, nothing showed up.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Some other rose chypres just popped into my head. Besides the recent beauty; Profumum- Rosae Mundi.

There is a great tangy number from Rosine- Une Folie de Rose. I saw it at Aedes.
    http://www.aedes.com/Une-Folie-de-Rose_p_797.html

Tulipano Nero- I Profumo di Firenze
    is a deep golden chypre with a rosy glow. Available at Luscious Cargo.
    http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan...oduct_Count=28
    Last edited by kumquat; 27th March 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Classic: Mitsouko, Chanel PM, Eau Sauvage

Modern: Aventus, CK One

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    A bright new star has just risen in the firmament of the chypre genre: Étoile d'Or, re-created by Amélie Bourgeois for Volnay. Nothing less than a Mitsouko for our times. Go give it a try and you surely will have to admit that I am not exaggerating (well... only a tad ).
    Thanks for that - have submitted the info. on all of those shown by Jovoy for listing in the Directory.
    Last edited by lpp; 29th March 2014 at 07:56 PM.