Code of Conduct

Default Anything aside from Spicebomb?!

Hi all,

First post on here, so be nice! Essentially, I've been a bit awful at male fragrances prior to now. Not saying that I stink or anything, but I was always content with Black XS in the past for when I wore aftershave.

I still love Black XS, but there's a time and a place for the smell, and it's too sweet to wear every day. The other fragrance I like is Spicebomb, which I'm tempted to buy, but that still doesn't leave me with much of a repertoire.

In light of this, I've tried to branch out more and sample more EDTs, but without much luck. So far I've tried:

Armani Code
    JPG Le Male
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Terre Hermes
    CK In 2 You

And the girlfriend was unimpressed by all of them (less so by 1 Million). She thought Hermes was rancid . So I was wondering, based on the fact that she likes Spicebomb and Black XS a lot, which other fragrances are similar to these that I might try?

Thanks!

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Anything aside from Spicebomb?!

eau d baux from l'occitane is also spicy but a bit less sweet than spicybomb

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    eau d baux from l'occitane is also spicy but a bit less sweet than spicybomb

Rick
    I was tempted by that, and it's considerably cheaper too haha. Looked into EDB more got me onto Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain too - which looks appealing since it apparently has an almond note to it. I don't suppose there are many other fragrances out there which also have a almond/marzipan note in? *

* Without being too feminine!

Perhaps you might want to give Montale Amandes Orientales a try. It might not be too feminine for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome!

You could try Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not platinum egoiste), which is smooth, slightly sweetish, woody and spicy.

Terre d'hermes as rancid is a strange reaction, but of course, everybody has his or her own preferences.

cacio

1899 Ernest Hemingway has been compaired to Spicebomb... Not sure I know Spicebomb well enough to make the comparison myself, but I can say 1899 is an amazing scent.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

+1 for Eau des Baux

Gucci Pour Homme II - Sweet but not too sweet. Great cinnamon note.

Givenchy Pi - The almond and vanilla mix well together in this one. Not as sweet as Spicebomb, imo.

You could also check out Dirty English from Juicy Couture. Not very expensive either.

Dirty English is a nice one also try a sample of Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

Zegna forte
    F by Ferragamo Black
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL l'Homme Nuit

Try Egoiste, sure, then realize it smells dank and heavy and unappealing, and give the better scent a try, platinum egoiste.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by skepta View Post
    I was tempted by that, and it's considerably cheaper too haha. Looked into EDB more got me onto Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain too - which looks appealing since it apparently has an almond note to it. I don't suppose there are many other fragrances out there which also have a almond/marzipan note in? *

* Without being too feminine!
    Almond/marzipan: Acqua Di Parma- Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia

Very much almond/marzipan/vanilla and completely not what I thought it was. I got a sample from someone randomly and I thought it said mandarin di sicilia, not mandorlo. Big difference.

rick

Hanae Mori HiM
    Hanae Mori HM

Tonka Imperiale is a great fragrance. Because of the price, it would be good to sample first.

Thanks all for the advice so far! I'm planning a trip to Selfridges after my university work is out the way, so will start compiling a list and then get my hands on all the samples out on offer

Try the new one from Valentino - Uomo. It's rather good.

Managed to get a quick sample of Acqua di Gio, La Nuit De L'Homme and Le Male yesterday while picking up some deodorant; Le Male definitely went down best with the housemates, but they were all, particularly YSL, criticised for being overly-feminine. Is this something users on here would agree with? I didn't think eiher of them were particularly masculine - not that I consider that a criticism - but I wouldn't have said they actively smelt girly!

Basenotes Junkie

I wouldn't call them feminine, but they also aren't butch fragrances either. All 3 could be worn by women. Citrus fragrances are easy to be unisex (AdG). LeMale is very vanilla which is often fairly unisex as a note. La Nuit is what I'd call a 'soft' fragrance. The notes are sweet, creamy, and soft.

If you want a stereotypically male fragrance that your housemates won't mistake for being feminie, grab some Brut, Stetson, Paco rabane PH, or even Eau Savage. Not sure I want to meet the women who can pull those off.

rick