Rive Gauche
    Drakkar Noir
    Dunhill Edition

Dont like:

CK Obsession
    Salvador Dali PH
    VC&A Tsar
    Jazz

What do you think based on the above? Incidentally, is Zino in any danger of being discontinued any time soon?
    Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Zino Davidoff blind buy?

Do not know much about its discontinuation, there were various sometimes contradictory infos and opinions on BN about this.

Considering the existing preferences, I personally think it would qualify for a blind buy.

Try to look for the vintage with the script writing on the bottle as it's much better.

Fantastic scent, youŽll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Try to look for the vintage with the script writing on the bottle as it's much better.
    +1

It should do, plus it's cheap. You have to be ok with patchouli.

cacio

Supposedly it's been discontinued already, but who knows really. I personally hate Zino. It smells like garbage and rotten fruit. The dry down is a bit more tolerable, but the opening is just wretched to me. You could find a 1 oz bottle for relatively cheap, I've seen them for as low as 9 or 10 bucks, so ya might as well just buy it. 10 bucks in this hobby is nothing to lose.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus

The current release is indeed cheap, something like $25 for a 4.2oz bottle. The vintage one with script letters on the bottle - that's a different story - this one can fetch as much as $200 on eBay. I remember the old, vintage one well, and liked it when it was around. I picked up a bottle of the current release a few months ago, for sentimental reasons - but it's a mere shadow of the original. Worth the $25 or so, I guess, but nowhere nearly as satisfying as the vintage release.

Hmmm, careful, careful. Regardless, I think you should rather take the risk as it's better than forever wondering.

I think it is a great scent and very cheap is another plus.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

You'll probably like. Think there's rose, if I recall right. If so and you can stand rose you'll enjoy. It's an old scent.

At one point long ago I sampled the original version in a dept store. Liked it but didn't buy at the time, have regretted it. I blind bought the current formulation and it's pretty good. It has a retro vibe without smelling old mannish, a nice fatherly type scent. Whether it will be a blind buy hit for the OP is tough to predict... likes Drakkar Noir and Rive Gauche but doesn't like Tsar or Jazz. I like all those, and really like Zino too. I can't say you'll absolutely love it, but I doubt you'll kick yourself for spending $25 on a big bottle of it.

If you can find a bottle of the original, definitely worth it IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks guys. Think I will take my chances and get a bottle. It is quite cheap indeed...

The differences between the vintage and current version of Zino are minimal. Except for the Vintage version having a better longevity, I don't detect any differences. Nobody is going to stop you on the street and point out, that you are wearing the reformulated Zino and not the original. So, the statement that the current version is just a mere shadow of the original, is incorrect.
    I say, go for it, OP! Current or Vintage version of Zino, they are both good!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    The current release is indeed cheap, something like $25 for a 4.2oz bottle. The vintage one with script letters on the bottle - that's a different story - this one can fetch as much as $200 on eBay. I remember the old, vintage one well, and liked it when it was around. I picked up a bottle of the current release a few months ago, for sentimental reasons - but it's a mere shadow of the original. Worth the $25 or so, I guess, but nowhere nearly as satisfying as the vintage release.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Incidentally, is Zino in any danger of being discontinued any time soon?
    Thanks in advance...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...f-discontinued
    (Formerly Jouho)

I have received a bottle of Zino today, it came in an open box, was sold directly by Amazon and costed me $25.

As I sprayed it for the very first time, I got a very nice lavender blast that is so characteristic of its retro nature and my hopes were high... Until about 3 minutes later when I took a "closer" sniff.. My dear friends basenoters, I do not wish to offend anyone in their tastes, but personally I found Zino utterly disgusting..

As the initial blast of lavender wore off, something very disturbing has emerged from its deeper heart, something putrid and revolting came to the surface and nearly turned my stomach inside out.. It made me think of something that got rotten, like sour milk mixed with dirt off the farmers boot. In overall scent cloud this abhorrence is less noticeable, but it is still a very old fashioned, unattractive smell. For the record, I am not a stranger to avantgarde scents.. I instantly fell in love with black afgano for example, but this scent just shocked me like no smell ever did. Perhaps secretions magnifique is something similar to this?

At any rate, my experimentations into yesterdays "classics" are over. I will carry on with drakkar and dunhill edition to satisfy my retro needs for now. Thank you all for your contributions.
    Last edited by JimmyP; 26th March 2014 at 01:20 PM.

This is one of the first fragrances I have ever blind bought. I would never bash it as a fragrance but for me HONESTLY I would never wear it ever. I really don't enjoy it at all. It smells very much like what I would imagine an old man would smell like. This stuff smells horrible to me and it's an eye sore in my collection to be honest. I'm going to spray it on my arm before I go to sleep just for kicks and see if MAYBE its growing on me. But even if it did grow on me it's just got that old man vibe that a 24 year old man like me wants nothing to do with.
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Careful.. It might give you nightmares all night long.. Jk.

I have received a bottle of Zino today, it came in an open box, was sold directly by Amazon and costed me $25.

As I sprayed it for the very first time, I got a very nice lavender blast that is so characteristic of its retro nature and my hopes were high... Until about 3 minutes later when I took a "closer" sniff.. My dear friends basenoters, I do not wish to offend anyone in their tastes, but personally I found Zino utterly disgusting..

As the initial blast of lavender wore off, something very disturbing has emerged from its deeper heart, something putrid and revolting came to the surface and nearly turned my stomach inside out.. It made me think of something that got rotten, like sour milk mixed with dirt off the farmers boot. In overall scent cloud this abhorrence is less noticeable, but it is still a very old fashioned, unattractive smell. For the record, I am not a stranger to avantgarde scents.. I instantly fell in love with black afgano for example, but this scent just shocked me like no smell ever did. Perhaps secretions magnifique is something similar to this?

At any rate, my experimentations into yesterdays "classics" are over. I will carry on with drakkar and dunhill edition for my retro "fixes". Thank you all for your contributions.
    Yeah I just sprayed it again and it smells just rancid. I wonder what I'm going to do with this full bottle? I'm to embarrassed to give it to a friend! Maybe I will save it for when the zombie apocalypse comes that's the only scenario I see myself enjoying this LOL jk!
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Of course there is no such thing as a 100 percent safe blind buy, but based on your likes, I think you will enjoy Zino. I've been getting a lot of samples of Zino from Fragrancenet. In fact, my last purchase came with 2 or 3 Zino samples.

Well, I am glad I'm not alone. I was ridiculed in the past for my opinions of Zino. I feel the point of a forum is to be able to express your opinions in typing format, and that's what I did with Zino. I found it utterly disgusting, and voiced my opinion. I don't feel it's a fragrance that should be pushed, because it simply isn't good. Good is Azzaro pH, Drakkar Noir, Rive Gauche, Cool Water, these are some classics.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I really enjoy Zino. I could take or leave Azzaro ph and after 2 years of Rive Gauche, still trying to decide if I actually like it. I truly dont get the hype with RG or Azzaro. Zino sings in cold weather and I can see how the top notes can be difficult. When it gets to the heart is a wonderful fragrance from there out.

Yes! It is a great blind buy. It is a wonderfully warm and sensual fragrance, that I have gotten so many complements on I have lost count. Go for it Jimmy P.

There are only a handful of orientals that compete with it no matter what the price. Made by Pierre Bordon and Michel Almairac, and as many good ones as they've both made neither one has ever done much better.

All current versions and I think they are fine.

By experimentations I mean that I will not be buying Opium, Yatagan and etc based on reviews alone without actually trying them first. Not worth for these things to just sit in my closet, not matter how cheap they are. Frankly, I dont even have room for them. Hopefully Zino reaches the cult status some years later and I could resell it.

Now that I think about it, as I was reading reviews of Zino on here, I came across a very bizzare fatalistic review by basenoter Manicboy and after trying Zino I must say that that brief opus was quite brilliant.
    Last edited by JimmyP; 26th March 2014 at 01:19 PM.

Basenoters are reminded that insulting one another is simply not acceptable on these forums. Let's argue our points without personally attacking one another.

I'll now remove the offending post. Let's leave it there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Which of the following is the vintage version?

uploadfromtaptalk1395863093690.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395863104273.jpg

The one on the right.

I didn't care for Zino the first time I smelled it. I came back to it after wearing Gucci Envy and Carvin Homme. I think you have to have a certain personality to wear it and a certain nose to enjoy it. Definitely not something you can wear on a regular basis, but for me it has that Wow factor. Also doesn't hurt that my wife loves it.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I revisited Zino again today, same results. I have a reformulated version if that matters.. Is there a possibility that my bottle got sour? Its just really surprising to see this scent having such a formidable following.

Default Zino Davidoff blind buy?

I revisited Zino again today, same results. I have a reformulated version if that matters.. Is there a possibility that my bottle got sour? Its just really surprising to see this scent having such a formidable following.
    It's love or hate and probably one of the worst fragrances to buy blind. If you don't like the newer version you won't like the all cursive bottle since the differences are minimal. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and sell it or swap,it.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

No, it isn't your bottle. I have tried to wear mine on 6 or 7 different occasions, and got horrible results each time. I eventually was able to sell my 1 oz bottle for 5 bucks, I paid like 10 for it. Yes, it was worth getting rid of it for half what I paid.

Careful with Yatagan too, this one gets a lot of praise. I almost bought a bottle blind, but was fortunate enough to inquire a sample from somebody here on BN. I am so glad I did, because it too was foul to me. It smells like rotten celery, or like, when lettuce goes bad in the fridge, mixed with.. well I won't say what, but it literally makes me sick to my stomach. While I can't knock the fact that it has great lavender, pine and woodsy notes in the opening, the animallic quality, accompanied with the vegetal accord is just bad to me. As with Zino, it does have a decent dry down, if you can make it to that point. Same with Grey Flannel, Pino, and some other classics.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)