Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why are so many people marked as "banned"?

I'm fairly new here, and an infrequent visitor at that – I have little time to indulge my hobbies. But why is it that, when I read reviews of perfumes I own/lemm, a disproportionate number of the reviewers are marked as "Banned"? Is it a reflection of my bad taste – only evil people care enough about the scents I like to write about them? Surely not. But if not, why? What did they all do?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why are so many people marked as "banned"?

All forums have rules, and those banned individuals persistently broke the forum rules in their own unique ways. There isn't a "one size fits all" answer beyond that.

The link to the Code of Conduct is on the right upper part of each page under the Advance Search link so we can all acquaint ourselves with them. They used to be harder to find, and a bit stricter in some ways. But now we really have no excuse.

Yes, it is sad that so many knowledgeable members broke so many rules or otherwise engaged in constant attacks on others here. Some of them were excellent reviewers.

I was going to ask this myself. There were a couple of BN'ers that look like they recently got banned. They were a big part of the community, and had some great input. Are any of these BN'ers suspended, or are they banned permanently?
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Blog Entries

The thing is, we don't (like many places) remove content from banned users, unless it is truly objectionable. So after a while, posts by banned members become noticeable. But it was not always that way. Even in 2008, posts from banned users did not come up very often, except on Creed threads, which have always been something of an exception. Other than spammers, trolls, shills, and people with hidden agendas of various kinds, the reality is that only a few "knowledgeable" members are banned per year. But over so many years, that adds up to a fair number of posts and reviews.

At least, that's my opinion of why we see it.

Valued members are among the most painful bans, and those bans are not done without considerable reflection and debate among the mods and admins. Don't think for a moment that they are done lightly. And some bans are "voluntary", but people don't realize it. Basically, a senior member or a mod will "offer his or her resignation" on an issue - or leave for very legitimate personal reasons - or even resign outright - and that may include leaving the site and retiring the username. We do not publicize the circumstances - but users who leave are free to contact their friends and spread the word by PM. Sometimes it's not as bad as what people imagine, or even the opposite. Sometimes it is much more lurid than people imagine.

Privacy is something that we really try to respect, but we can't demonstrate it without violating it. Which is why we really can't comment on specific cases, other than to say that some bans are permanent, and some are just temporary. You are likely to see temporary ones before permanent ones - particularly with valued members, unless it's a resignation, in which case it is often sudden and frequently with the expectation that reasons not be made public.

I hope this helps. You're not alone in missing some banned members - we all do.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Red for clarification and hard work! You always cheer us up!

Thanks for the explanation Red! Still being newer to the bigger than I thought fragrance world and BN forums in general, I enjoy the vast amount of knowledge provided by most BN'ers. I do have to say that it seems that most members here are very polite, much more polite than members of other forums I belong to that have nothing to do with the fragrance world. So I think that's why I was shocked to see some members recently banned, I didn't think it was necessary here. Very naive of me, lol.
    Last edited by CT3; 21st March 2014 at 03:01 AM.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The thing is, we don't (like many places) remove content from banned users, unless it is truly objectionable. So after a while, posts by banned members become noticeable. But it was not always that way. Even in 2008, posts from banned users did not come up very often, except on Creed threads, which have always been something of an exception. Other than spammers, trolls, shills, and people with hidden agendas of various kinds, the reality is that only a few "knowledgeable" members are banned per year. But over so many years, that adds up to a fair number of posts and reviews.

Valued members are among the most painful bans, and those bans are not done without considerable reflection and debate among the mods and admins. Don't think for a moment that they are done lightly. And some bans are "voluntary", but people don't realize it. Basically, a senior member or a mod will "offer his or her resignation" on an issue - or leave for very legitimate personal reasons - or even resign outright - and that may include leaving the site and retiring the username. We do not publicize the circumstances - but users who leave are free to contact their friends and spread the word by PM. Sometimes it's not as bad as what people imagine, or even the opposite. Sometimes it is much more lurid than people imagine.

Privacy is something that we really try to respect, but we can't demonstrate it without violating it. Which is why we really can't comment on specific cases, other than to say that some bans are permanent, and some are just temporary. You are likely to see temporary ones before permanent ones - particularly with valued members, unless it's a resignation, in which case it is often sudden and frequently with the expectation that reasons not be made public.

Yes thing have certainly gotten better after the last new wave of mods were assigned.

for swap/sale:

Sounds intriguing. That said, I find 99 percent of the posts here to be appropriate and respectful. It's such a pleasure. Thank you, all!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Thank you Red for clarification and hard work! You always cheer us up!
    Thanks! I try to help people to see as many sides of things as I can. It's really the only way to get close to a true understanding, in our finite way as human beings!

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Red! Still being newer to the bigger than I thought fragrance world and BN forums in general, I enjoy the vast amount of knowledge provided by most BN'ers. I do have to say that it seems that most members here are very polite, much more polite than members of other forums I belong to that have nothing to do with the fragrance world. So I think that's why I was shocked to see some members recently banned, I didn't think it was necessary here. Very naive of me, lol.
    You're welcome!

Every place has a culture, and I really enjoy the culture here. It is a refreshing alternative to the rest of the web! Although I readily admit that I enjoy (in moderation) sharp cheese, jalapeños, and the snark, hilarity and smack-down of those "other" places! But if I had to pick one place to be, it would be here.

Basenotes has always been a very polite place, but just as that reduces the chance of being attacked, it also demands that people have a higher degree of self-control than is needed in some other places. The perfume world - like the beauty industry and design world - has always been a very civilized place, with a strong influence from women and gay people. People who step into that world are sometimes not ready for the culture shock, despite the fact that it's actually very welcoming. I liken it to a classy saloon in the middle of the Wild West. Leave your guns at the door, be nice to the ladies and gents, and just have a good time. And since you can't get dealt into a game in this particular salon without 500 rounds or a year on the tab, there's precious little cheating. It's a good place.

"I'll have another shot of Dior Addict EDP, if you please! And a round of Aventus for the boys."

I'll admit I've been concerned about a rash of locked threads and bans in recent weeks/months. It's possible that there's more going on than I can read in a thread, but a few of these threads have left me wondering what the transgression was, while some seriously ugly comments in other threads go unremarked.

Just to be clear: I don't advocate banning more people. I'd rather debate objectionable opinions (e.g., old people smell bad because they can't be bothered to bathe) than ban them, but I know the moderators walk a fine line between encouraging useful debate and letting things go totally off the rails, and have difficult choices to make (what if you replaced "old people" with "Asian people" in the above example? What about "gay people?"). It's just that in a few cases recently, it seems totally arbitrary.
    Last edited by Kagey; 21st March 2014 at 04:36 AM.

Basenotes Plus

"I'll have another shot of Dior Addict EDP, if you please! And a round of Aventus for the boys."
    It's a classic Red. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yes thing have certainly gotten better after the last new wave of mods were assigned.
    Your vote of confidence is truly appreciated, Saif!

And that brings up a good point. We're always looking for more people who are interested in becoming mods, too. Long-time posters (no set number, really) who are interested in the possibility can always inquire with Dani, or if you'd prefer to talk to a mod you know and have that person drop your name in the hat, feel free to approach any of us. The appointment of new mods is a tricky and sporadic thing, because it takes a lot of Dani's time, but if we know of people who are potentially interested, we can always give Dani and Grant your name when that time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Sounds intriguing. That said, I find 99 percent of the posts here to be appropriate and respectful. It's such a pleasure. Thank you, all!
    I agree - thanks to all of you posters out there, who make my job incredibly easy. It really is a pleasure!

Will posting on this thread get me banned?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'll admit I've been concerned about a rash of locked threads and bans in recent weeks/months. It's possible that there's more going on than I can read in a thread, but a few of these threads have left me wondering what the transgression was, while some seriously ugly comments in other threads go unremarked.

Just to be clear: I don't advocate banning more people. I'd rather debate objectionable opinions (e.g., old people smell bad because they can't be bothered to bathe) than ban them, but I know the moderators walk a fine line between encouraging useful debate and letting things go totally off the rails, and have difficult choices to make (what if you replaced "old people" with "Asian people" in the above example? What about "gay people?"). It's just that in a few cases recently, it seems totally arbitrary.
    Yes - I agree, Kagey - we are not always completely up-front about why threads are being locked, and the mods are actually agreeing in our discussions that we need to be more transparent about what we're doing. In a lot of these cases, it may actually be borderline trolling that we are trying to discourage without going to the full definition of trolling. But that is a very hard thing to call, and even if we try to be consistent, it will likely lead to as many "hard rule errors" as we will get otherwise from soft rules.

The mods NEED to be called on things sometimes. One of the best ways to deal with this is to approach Dani, our community manager. She can't really react in real time - and you cannot expect a quick response, because anything she deals with is something that will require a solution that will not please everybody equally. But she needs to hear from people to know how people are perceiving the moderation. Approaching the mods can help, but so can going to the next level.

In line with the saloon analogy, we want things to be lively - we just don't want them getting out of hand. There is a fine line between coming up with interesting stuff and trolling. Not all of us perceive that line to be in the same place. People are free to voice their opinions, hopefully gently, to help the group reach a kind of consensus - and to educate the mods as well. Let us know that the thread is NOT offending you. And let your fellow BNers know - very kindly - when they need to cool it so the thread stays on the rails. Some of the best moderation is self-moderation. I've seen threads where people dealt with touchy subjects in amazing style - it just blew my mind that I didn't have to do a THING as a moderator! What was clear to me was that the users knew each other, and they played just a bit to the 4th wall, so that the mods and the rest of BN knew they weren't really putting each other down, and were just having fun. It was pretty hilarious, too. Just wanted to say WELL DONE, people. Let's have more of those kind of threads!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I will consult the Oracle at Aventus for an answer to that!

300 - the Oracle

Seriously, not without a couple of mods and multiple senior members having to go with you!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    +1. There will always be uncertainty during a period of transition but I'm genuinely delighted with the way things have panned out. Inspirational choices and a great job all round .

Thanks! I try to help people to see as many sides of things as I can. It's really the only way to get close to a true understanding, in our finite way as human beings!

You're welcome!

Every place has a culture, and I really enjoy the culture here. It is a refreshing alternative to the rest of the web! Although I readily admit that I enjoy (in moderation) sharp cheese, jalapeños, and the snark, hilarity and smack-down of those "other" places! But if I had to pick one place to be, it would be here.

Basenotes has always been a very polite place, but just as that reduces the chance of being attacked, it also demands that people have a higher degree of self-control than is needed in some other places. The perfume world - like the beauty industry and design world - has always been a very civilized place, with a strong influence from women and gay people. People who step into that world are sometimes not ready for the culture shock, despite the fact that it's actually very welcoming. I liken it to a classy saloon in the middle of the Wild West. Leave your guns at the door, be nice to the ladies and gents, and just have a good time. And since you can't get dealt into a game in this particular salon without 500 rounds or a year on the tab, there's precious little cheating. It's a good place.

Great one!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

"No Aventus for me, ma'am, If you can make mine Tom of Finland I'd be much obliged."
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Just to add that we new mods are still feeling our way around the new system of moderation (and our roles in general) - infractions on Huddler occasionally resulted in automatic suspension by the system, for example.

The system has changed to a more flexible one and there are no infractions now so the moderation has been adapting to this.
    This is explained at the end of the new Code of Conduct.

Sure, we'll (unfortunately) make mistakes from time to time but members are always free to pm to discuss anything bothering them, or ask for advice on site-related matters - and many do.
    Mostly, these exchanges are as polite as the majority of posts here and it's really nice when members, often quite unexpectedly, communicate their thoughts.
    As has been mentioned in the past - we're members too.

Offensive posts are not the only issues faced by members of the community - there are less public ways in which rules may be broken, resulting in actions that may not be understood by members not involved.

Fortunately, these situations are uncommon - and thanks to a great bunch of people for making this community what it is.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st March 2014 at 09:56 AM.

Kagey, Red and lpp - you all hit a lot of nails right on the head.

There is indeed a very fine line between ensuring the conversation continues in a civilised manner and putting a stop to when things really get out of hand. We also stand right in between the turning point for offence - one man's freedom fighter, is another man's terrorist. Likewise in the virtual world, i.e. on the 'net, one person's opinion can cause quite a bit of offence. As Red said, the vast majority of people here get along quietly and do not cause offence in their lifetimes. In my days before joining the mods, if I didn't like a thread or couldn't stand a person's attitude, they went onto my ignore list. This is exactly what Red was getting at with his saloon analogy. Leave the guns at the door and treat everyone with respect.

We obviously have a set of rules here to protect the community and the members. For example, we have rules for selling things here. If we were to relax them, BN would just turn into another version of eBay. I don't think we could cope with the additional traffic or indeed the rogue traders that we will undoubtedly have to deal with. As a community we just can't ignore some points as our future depends on them.

Unfortunately, everywhere you go there will be issues. The few that do spoil it though, whether they are just everyday spammers (anyone care to watch a Thor movie or whatever the heck these people advertise? ), or childish individuals that get a little too passionate about a fragrance or concept (from both sides of the argument), rarely realise the damage they are doing. The mods that are here are all volunteers. They cover the site 24hrs, 7 days a week from all sorts of wide ranging time zones. If something boils over, it's usually down to one person to have to run after everything. Then there's the admin side involved - filling in reports and so on. Not easy and quite time consuming. If we were to spend that time trying to resolve an issue through discussion, it isn't always that easy or straight forward. Naturally, that's our preferred option, but that's the most time consuming option of all. This is why the three strike rule takes place. We give individuals a chance to reform before issuing a 7 day ban or a 6 week or ultimately a permanent ban. Not every site can put their name to that, so I think most of us should be grateful that we are quite a tolerant place.

Finally, I just want to add another point that often may be missed by the members. Let's find the time to report something if we're not happy about someone's behaviour, if we get offended, if we see someone blatantly braking the rules and so on. Most people do in fact report these things quite quickly and we are obliged to respond or keep an eye on things at least. But for those that do try to take matters in their own hands, that's when we get into a right pickle.

We all find it very rewarding helping our community out and strive to make this place the best place around to discuss perfumes and all things that smell good. Hopefully, we will all get there in the end!
    Last edited by rum; 21st March 2014 at 11:16 AM.

I believe it was possibly hednic who mentioned that whilst criticising a post is ok, attacking the poster isn't. I think this site has the balance between freedom of speech and protection from insults about right.

I think we have the best mods ever currently. I know because I have sailed 'close to the wind' on a few occasions.

However, maybe for one day a month we could have a 'free for all' where anything goes and we could all self govern.

The mods would get a day off and we could all have a right 'royal rumpus'

The mods can pick up the pieces the next day

It's a relatively strict board where some sensitive souls can get easily offended. Some of the posters on the other hand were uncultured savages and evil trolls.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I think we have the best mods ever currently. I know because I have sailed 'close to the wind' on a few occasions.

However, maybe for one day a month we could have a 'free for all' where anything goes and we could all self govern.

The mods would get a day off and we could all have a right 'royal rumpus'

The mods can pick up the pieces the next day
    Great idea, provided we can put you and martinjo in charge of all the Creed threads. I'm off to get the popcorn ....

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Great idea, provided we can put you and martinjo in charge of all the Creed threads. I'm off to get the popcorn ....
    Hah -- I don't want to become some sort of Creed 'warden' for the site. I call 'em when I see 'em that's all.

It amazes me some other basenoters can't identify these marketing creeps. Maybe they live in some parallel Mary Poppins type world and visit Earth only occasionally?

Blog Entries

Hah -- I don't want to become some sort of Creed 'warden' for the site. I call 'em when I see 'em that's all.

It amazes me some other basenoters can't identify these marketing creeps. Maybe they live in some parallel Mary Poppins type world and visit Earth only occasionally?
    I view such people as blessed, actually, but I know what you mean. My misspent youth has helped me to be situationally aware, so to speak, but I sometimes envy those who trust fully and without question.

I do try to steal as much of their optimism as I can!

Blog Entries

Sometimes it makes me think of the saying about being a college professor- "It's like High school, except the stakes are much lower".

I'll go further. That comment was about "old women." As a new member, a woman, and someone in her 40s, I was very put off.

Unfortunately, I sometimes sense that there is a casual acceptance of sexism, and also ageism, here. And that makes me feel uncomfortable here at times. I'm a longtime member of other hobby forums, two of which have no moderators. I became a partner in the 1990s in a male-dominated firm in a male-dominated profession. Yet it's here, in a fragrance forum, in 2014, that I've been taken aback, frequently, by expressions of outright sexism.

I understand that I can ignore those people. I understand you like "interesting posts." I understand that you are a male-dominated forum. However, I am not sure I understand why there can't be a little bit more attention paid to making this a comfortable and welcoming place for women, as well. If enough people say things like that, you can't really put it down to one rogue poster, and you can't really ignore it. Instead, it becomes a part of the site's atmosphere. As Kagey suggests, try substituting another minority group* for "women" or "old women" and see if the powers that be would be comfortable letting a comment like that slide.

Just food for thought, I hope, and I hope I don't overstep. I like this site and would like to feel welcome in other places than the Female Fragrance Forum.

*Women are very much a minority on this site, at least in terms of posts.

Blog Entries

Yes, I really wish people had the common sense to know that making these kinds of assumptions really is just plain bad manners. But what can you do? I used to work in a bar. Every season a new crop of 'legals' came in ordering liquor for the first time. They didn't know the ropes. They didn't know how to treat the help. They didn't know how to tip. And they didn't know what to order without getting sick. It was the same thing constantly. Newbies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Yes, I really wish people had the common sense to know that making these kinds of assumptions really is just plain bad manners. But what can you do? I used to work in a bar. Every season a new crop of 'legals' came in ordering liquor for the first time. They didn't know the ropes. They didn't know how to treat the help. They didn't know how to tip. And they didn't know what to order without getting sick. It was the same thing constantly. Newbies.
    l agree; l think the "old lady" comments are usually a sign of youth & inexperience, not a deliberate attempt to offend. We know that what they really mean is "classic", "retro" or perhaps "mature", but new members often lack the vocabulary to articulate this. lt's up to the rest of us to gently guide, not chide them.

And anyone in their 40s who's feeling sensitive about the term "old lady" is clearly having issues of their own. l'm in my 40s, & it never occured to me that the "old lady" comments could possibly be directed at me!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l'm in my 40s, & it never occured to me that the "old lady" comments could possibly be directed at me!
    I'm 58 and they don't apply to me, either!

I'm a woman, I'm in my 40's and I feel welcome on the Male side. I haven't always appreciated every comment, however, the majority of the posters are respectful. In a world where free speech is valued, some of us always risk being offended, whether male, female, minority, whatever. It's part of the risks of having a free society and I for one don't particular want a lot more moderation than already exists. That is just my personal opinion, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

As to the sharing that the mods offered on this thread, I sure do appreciate ya'll candid comments. Thank you for offering them. And in particular, thank you for welcoming input! I know that really is helpful to me personally.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

Sometimes it makes me think of the saying about being a college professor- "It's like High school, except the stakes are much lower".
    Great quote!!!

Yup. Education by older members is a constant thing here, but I have found that it works. There do have to be periodic repeats, or the message just gets lost.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'm 58 and they don't apply to me, either!
    If I ever start "acting my age", please give me a swift kick from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm a woman, I'm in my 40's and I feel welcome on the Male side. I haven't always appreciated every comment, however, the majority of the posters are respectful. In a world where free speech is valued, some of us always risk being offended, whether male, female, minority, whatever. It's part of the risks of having a free society and I for one don't particular want a lot more moderation than already exists. That is just my personal opinion, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

As to the sharing that the mods offered on this thread, I sure do appreciate ya'll candid comments. Thank you for offering them. And in particular, thank you for welcoming input! I know that really is helpful to me personally.
    On behalf of all the mods, you're welcome!

I hear you about not wanting too much moderation. That can actually kill a site. One of the best ways to keep us from having to moderate more is for posters to gently teach the culture to new posters. There is often resistance to mods enforcing social norms, but if members make expectations apparent in discussions, some of it is bound to get read and understood.

One of the things I loved about some of the old Guerlain threads was the basic expectation by participants of "no trolling". Lamentations and raves were all OK, but things just had to stay civil and on track - anything else was unacceptable. People would simply hang up on flaming posts like they were crank calls going to the answering machine. I recall very little moderation ever being needed.

Great post! And thanks for clarifying that up, along with the other mods/members who commented.

I too wondered awhile back why quite a few members (respectable ones at that) were marked as banned and some threads were locked. A couples years back, when I first joined BN, I noticed some things were getting off track and the forum in general became a kind of mess for awhile. As a result, quite a few people it seems got banned and encountered some problems; what those problems were is none of our business really but if you go through some older threads you might get a sense of what was going on. A lot of people left and just haven't come back, hec even I left for awhile. It was in that time BN was getting a bad rep. Just go check out other forums/blogs/FB groups and you'll see what I mean, it's only now that stigma is going away finally.

Some really great members are gone now but doesn't mean the forum isn't great. There are still many older members still frequenting the boards and posting and many newer members who are also doing a fantastic job keeping the forum active.

I have to say BN has been a lot better in recent months and a lot of that has to do with the new wave of mods who've been doing a great job, at least in my opinion.

Thanks for clearing that some of the questions I had folks, it's good to know that some members haven't left on bad terms and just decided to move on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Great post! And thanks for clarifying that up, along with the other mods/members who commented.

I too wondered awhile back why quite a few members (respectable ones at that) were marked as banned and some threads were locked. A couples years back, when I first joined BN, I noticed some things were getting off track and the forum in general became a kind of mess for awhile. As a result, quite a few people it seems got banned and encountered some problems; what those problems were is none of our business really but if you go through some older threads you might get a sense of what was going on. A lot of people left and just haven't come back, hec even I left for awhile. It was in that time BN was getting a bad rep. Just go check out other forums/blogs/FB groups and you'll see what I mean, it's only now that stigma is going away finally.

Some really great members are gone now but doesn't mean the forum isn't great. There are still many older members still frequenting the boards and posting and many newer members who are also doing a fantastic job keeping the forum active.

I have to say BN has been a lot better in recent months and a lot of that has to do with the new wave of mods who've been doing a great job, at least in my opinion.

Thanks for clearing that some of the questions I had folks, it's good to know that some members haven't left on bad terms and just decided to move on.
    And thanks for your response! Very much appreciated!

Yes - sometimes people move on, or our ways part. It's a lot like all the best things in life. Love starts, love ends. Some loves last. Some flame out in sweet or bitter memories. Who is to say which ones are best? I think this is why I cherish former members, but would not necessarily try to get them to return, even if they were allowed to do so. Many of them have gone on to rich fragrant lives in other places, and in some ways, there can be no better outcome than that.

Time is like that - it's the fact that things are allowed to come and go that gives it the richness we love.

"Grand Hotel...always the same. People come, people go.

Nothing ever happens."

-Grand Hotel, 1932
    ...and another beauty of the Grand Hotel....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilber...he_Grand_Hotel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    A couples years back, I noticed some things were getting off track and the forum in general became a kind of mess for awhile. As a result, quite a few people it seems got banned and encountered some problems; what those problems were is none of our business really but if you go through some older threads you might get a sense of what was going on. A lot of people left and just haven't come back. It was in that time BN was getting a bad rep. Just go check out other forums/blogs/FB groups and you'll see what I mean, it's only now that stigma is going away finally.

l totally agree. Things have vastly improved from a couple of years back. Thanks & well done to all the mods!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Well, just in case, I won't ... I haven't said anything.

I do like it here. And always think I find very relevant information and, of course, nice people around, too. Haven't noticed the banned thing, but I don't have much time to spend here also. But, as nothing can be perfect, I don't like that much threads about Creed that go on forever. But in that case I simply don't open, it's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Last edited by prosperonline; 22nd March 2014 at 12:04 PM.

As someone stated, if this is a male dominated forum then it is up to the males to make sure everyone feels welcome to post on any forum. We all enjoy and want free speech but there is no excuse for rudeness. Manners and thinking before one posts should be paramount. I have read this thread many times over before I decided to post. This is a fragrance board. Sexism and ageism should really not enter into it. As a matter of fact, if one is looking to learn history of the subject, who is better equipped to explain and answer questions than people who have the experience. Choice of words bother me also. Perhaps instead of "I hate this fragrance," it may be better suited to say I simply did not like the scent or it was not for me. Instead of the "old man or old lady" references a simple..it smelled dated to me. I am not sure the intent is to anger, I just do not think someone who is just starting out has been exposed to a huge variety nor could they understand that I may go back 35 years with a scent or house and the memories in invokes. There is a vast amount of knowledge to be shared about fragrance here, everyone can learn something. I know people get upset if the same question is asked, or the same scent is praised or disparaged. A little patience goes a long way. Skip the threads that are redundant to you, share what you know and everyone will be better off.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    It's a relatively strict board where some sensitive souls can get easily offended. Some of the posters on the other hand were uncultured savages and evil trolls.
    I think this sums it up succinctly. In the past, some members and mods seemed to go out of their way finding reasons to become offended while some members went out of their way to be assholes, sort of a confrontation of extreme elements.

The boards seem more moderate (and perhaps more dull) now, with common sense prevailing more often than not. We're more center-weighted than we used to be, but I do miss those stimulating sparks of quirkiness that some of the banned members brought to the forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    As someone stated, if this is a male dominated forum then it is up to the males to make sure everyone feels welcome to post on any forum. We all enjoy and want free speech but there is no excuse for rudeness. Manners and thinking before one posts should be paramount. I have read this thread many times over before I decided to post. This is a fragrance board. Sexism and ageism should really not enter into it. As a matter of fact, if one is looking to learn history of the subject, who is better equipped to explain and answer questions than people who have the experience. Choice of words bother me also. Perhaps instead of "I hate this fragrance," it may be better suited to say I simply did not like the scent or it was not for me. Instead of the "old man or old lady" references a simple..it smelled dated to me. I am not sure the intent is to anger, I just do not think someone who is just starting out has been exposed to a huge variety nor could they understand that I may go back 35 years with a scent or house and the memories in invokes. There is a vast amount of knowledge to be shared about fragrance here, everyone can learn something. I know people get upset if the same question is asked, or the same scent is praised or disparaged. A little patience goes a long way. Skip the threads that are redundant to you, share what you know and everyone will be better off.
    What a great philosophy. I'm going to enjoy having discussions with you!

Nice post but do people not always think -including me- that it is the other who is rude or offensive?

Most threads don't see any moderation (apart from us deleting posts inserted by spammers) so it can't be a massive issue - often it may just be due to differences in the way that people use language or interact generally.
    There are arguments here when it often seems that people just become upset & stop listening to each other.
    It will always happen from time to time 'though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l totally agree. Things have vastly improved from a couple of years back. Thanks & well done to all the mods!
    Thanks on behalf of all the mods (and the former mods who helped us with our training wheels!) And thanks to all the members who have helped us on a day-to-day basis, by simply being sensible and promoting sensibility in others during discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by prosperonline View Post
    Well, just in case, I won't ... I haven't said anything.

I do like it here. And always think I find very relevant information and, of course, nice people around, too. Haven't noticed the banned thing, but I don't have much time to spend here also. But, as nothing can be perfect, I don't like that much threads about Creed that go on forever. But in that case I simply don't open, it's not a big deal.
    This is really a helpful attitude - to just stay out of annoying discussions, or discussions where I really don't have any stake. Being a parent has really helped me to learn how to "stay out of things". Some of my son's friends are geeks, and we frequently have brief discussions of great topics, but by and large, I simply leave their discussions completely alone. Of course, my son was a moderator on boards years before I even ventured onto a discussion board!

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I think this sums it up succinctly. In the past, some members and mods seemed to go out of their way finding reasons to become offended while some members went out of their way to be assholes, sort of a confrontation of extreme elements.

The boards seem more moderate (and perhaps more dull) now, with common sense prevailing more often than not. We're more center-weighted than we used to be, but I do miss those stimulating sparks of quirkiness that some of the banned members brought to the forum.
    The board is constantly changing its microclimates, but there is a certain "Basenotes" thing that never really leaves. Huddler was the greatest shift in that average temperament - I attribute it to faster load speeds in America, tempting more impatient young American posters to get into the game. Moderation on many American boards is rather minimal, and some posters expect the same thing everywhere. I think we were simply bringing on too many posters who needed a steep lesson in BN etiquette.

What a great philosophy. I'm going to enjoy having discussions with you!
    Agreed, kumquat!

One option which is available to more sensible posters who want "interesting" discussions, is to start them themselves. The OP can always ask for a thread to be closed if it gets out of hand, or set boundaries that keep it on track. I've seen some topics, that would normally be classified as "hot", discussed sanely because the OP set the tone of the thread, and the main participants worked hard to keep it on track.

Another thing that helps, when we don't like a fragrance, is to say WHY we don't like it. But something that helps even more, when we don't like it, is to differentiate whether we RESPECT it, and address that as well. I've observed that members who do this almost never start fights, and have helped us keep discussions of polarizing brands and fragrances on track.

As to "older" fragrances..... One of the great things about fashion is that fashions never really leave completely - there is always a minimal residue of old ones that can come back when the time is right. And what's REALLY interesting is that during a style's downtime, there are always a few fashion radicals who can still keep the style alive by pulling it off in daring ways. We have some younger members here who can "pull off" grand classic fragrances of the opposite sex in über style, and I am constantly amazed by this. Other members have wardrobes that range from the most avant-garde art-niche to the most "retroscentual" classics and faux-classics - and they have highly refined appreciation of them all. Of course, it makes sense that one of the places where such styles would hibernate would be here!!! In a way, we're the guardians of the coolness of fragrances, many of which retain their coolness by the very fact of being desperately out of general fashion.

At Basenotes, fragrances all have a chance to find people to adopt them and love them!

One option which is available to more sensible posters who want "interesting" discussions, is to start them themselves. The OP can always ask As to "older" fragrances..... One of the great things about fashion is that fashions never really leave completely - there is always a minimal residue of old ones that can come back when the time is right. And what's REALLY interesting is that during a style's downtime, there are always a few fashion radicals who can still keep the style alive by pulling it off in daring ways. We have some younger members here who can "pull off" grand classic fragrances of the opposite sex in über style, and I am constantly amazed by this. Other members have wardrobes that range from the most avant-garde art-niche to the most "retroscentual" classics and faux-classics - and they have highly refined appreciation of them all. Of course, it makes sense that one of the places where such styles would hibernate would be here!!! In a way, we're the guardians of the coolness of fragrances, many of which retain their coolness by the very fact of being desperately out of :
    This is a fun paragraph to read, thanks for posting.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I miss iivanita!

Came as someone posted up the same question in mind, read so many answers that makes me feel astonished, and thanks to all those words that clarifies more than just original question: why are there so many banned people on the thread?

I have thought abut this too. I believe it's a combination of naivety in some cases and being actively involved in others. (mentioning no names.)
    The problem for me is that the trolling and spamming are not so easy to define as they sound.
    In my view Male Fragrance Discussion is dominated by Creed spammers and trolls, some who do it as a matter of promoting the companys products and some who are plainly and simply fanboys, I cannot think of another term to describe them., not only do their posts lack any worthwhile content but also any grace humour or dare I say it , dignity
    If this is pointed out (a little more diplomatically) they go whining to the moderators about their experience of the site being spoiled, the "troll" (usually me) is banned and they have carte blanche to continue posting their tiresome comments day in day out ad nauseum.
    I do not have the knowledge and experience to engage in the more "advanced " discussions which take place on other boards on the site so I had decided not to bother posting any more on the site as these people have in my opinion made a mockery of the MFD forum, but seeming as this thread has been posted I thought i would add my thoughts, which hopefully will not result in my being banned for a third and I assume final time

Thanks for posting your thoughts, martinijo - and welcome back.

An issue for me, as a new mod., has been wondering how to avoid the dominance of MFD threads by one brand with some very vocally committed fans.

It does appear to be an area where humour is often lacking.
    This does not seem to happen in the same way with other brands, where opposing opinions often just result in interesting discussions with some members happily going off to buy the latest product and others deciding otherwise.

Maybe someone can suggest an answer as it would be sad (in my opinion, anyway) if we are losing members due to an unbalanced Forum and very similar thoughts are frequently communicated by others members here via p.m. so you're not alone!

One thing that occurred to me is that Creed discussions could be "encouraged" to take place in a Group, just as oud oil discussions are.

I agree with martinijo that there are a lot of unnecessarily repetitive and shallow discussions that mostly seem to be Creed flag-waving (or marketing), and they clutter the MFD forum and make it harder to find interesting discussions. The number of "authenticity" threads, or "best price/best online shop for Creed" or "best Creed" threads are particularly bemusing. I appreciate the efforts of the mod team to consolidate these but it seems like it must take a lot of moderating time.

Anyway, welcome back martinijo, don't get banned!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Thanks Ipp and Zatrain. I agree the merging for authenticity queries was a step in the right direction though it only really helps with the repetitive rather than the truly nauseous posts.
    I think the recent creation of a non-fanboys or haters Creed forum was an excellent idea. When it is seen that a few "senior" members are not interested in associating with the worthless flag waving in MFD it could really take off. I know there are people just as tired of it as I am who would be happy to have a place for real discussion. If the fanboys found themselves alone they might eventually get bored with each other, or drown in a pool of their own sycophancy, though I won't be holding my breath.

LINK :

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The General Fragrance Discussion area is another place to check out some interesting threads and inappropriate threads there tend to be moved out to MFD or JSO.

Which doesn't solve any MFD issues...
    Last edited by lpp; 1st May 2014 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I believe it's a combination of naivety in some cases and being actively involved in others. (mentioning no names.)
    In my view Male Fragrance Discussion is dominated by Creed spammers and trolls, some who do it as a matter of promoting the companys products and some who are plainly and simply fanboys, I cannot think of another term to describe them., not only do their posts lack any worthwhile content but also any grace humour or dare I say it , dignity
    If this is pointed out (a little more diplomatically) they go whining to the moderators about their experience of the site being spoiled, the "troll" (usually me) is banned and they have carte blanche to continue posting their tiresome comments day in day out ad nauseum.
    I do not have the knowledge and experience to engage in the more "advanced " discussions which take place on other boards on the site so I had decided not to bother posting any more on the site as these people have in my opinion made a mockery of the MFD forum, but seeming as this thread has been posted I thought i would add my thoughts, which hopefully will not result in my being banned for a third and I assume final time
    Welcome back martinijo - in many ways, I am glad you posted here.

First let me say this: it's never the intention of a mod to ban people just for the sake of it. There are certain rules that need to be adhered to here and we simply need to ensure they are enforced. Some people take these things for granted - we get mocked, sworn at, face some nasty characters at times, others completely ignore us, or people just simply try and get passed the rules so that they can post in the marketplace (something we really have to crack down on as this place just isn't an auction site and was never intended to be). So it's unfortunate that we ban members - even temporarily - when we would much rather have them here with us talking about the things we all like best - scents and all things that smell good.

In general times, I think you will find more people are in agreement with your comments above than you might think are against them! It is indeed a problem when we have this sort of pollution on our forums and if indeed people are doing it on purpose to hype up either their favourite house or their employer, it is (at least in my personal opinion) quite despicable.

We are however often unable to act as they are technically not breaking any rules and this is where I think the problem for the mods lies. We are of course working to get past this, but as there are other priorities for the site now, this has been overlooked. As lpp says, we have tried alternative ways to monitor these people - for example, by trying to collate the frequently discussed topics into one. We are often met with abuse as a result (these people don't like having their posts merged or moved) and as you can tell, this makes our work here very difficult.

Responding to your final paragraph though, about not having the "knowledge and experience" to engage with these people, often discussion can be a poison to them. By challenging their provocations in a thoughtful and inoffensive manner, it is like removing the cape from superman! They are powerless therefore and will probably end up feeling threatened and eventually leave or become aggressive. If that occurs, that's what we're here for!

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    The number of "authenticity" threads, or "best price/best online shop for Creed" or "best Creed" threads are particularly bemusing. I appreciate the efforts of the mod team to consolidate these but it seems like it must take a lot of moderating time.
    This is very true. We are all volunteers, often readers and contributors here, and we all have regular jobs to worry about as well. If something is time consuming, it may just be better to put it to one side and deal with it at a later, more convenient time.

Thanks for your response Rum.
    I take your point about engaging these people with discussion, but how many times can you respond to being written of as a troll and a hater or to the comment "if you don't like it don't read the thread" without resorting to a response on the level that the provocations deserve ? Combined with the members who robotically feed the spamming by responding to every troll by posting some inane comment like " congratulations on being gang raped by a group of supermodels when you wore Aventus batch A1594 for the first time. welcome to Basenotes" there doesn't seem to be much room for manoeuever.
    Members have told me privately (unsolicited) that they feel the same way I do about this but don't have the stomach to engage these people and I don't blame them.
    I understand how difficult moderating the forums must be and like most here I think you all do a good job of it.

Maybe there should be a separate forum/group (I'm never sure which is which) entitled "Is My Fragrance Real/Counterfeit?" If it were easy to find, people genuinely concerned about the possibility of fakes might just go there.

I have less hope about the Creed posters. If their purpose is to promote the brand, then they probably wouldn't stick to a separate group or forum, as it would defeat their purpose. I don't envy the moderators.

Maybe there should be a separate forum/group (I'm never sure which is which) entitled "Is My Fragrance Real/Counterfeit?" If it were easy to find, people genuinely concerned about the possibility of fakes might just go there.

I have less hope about the Creed posters. If their purpose is to promote the brand, then they probably wouldn't stick to a separate group or forum, as it would defeat their purpose. I don't envy the moderators.
    I think the " Is my Creed real " posts are already more or less under control thanks to Ipp's vigilance in moving them to one place.
    It isn't a separate forum but I doubt most would post there directly anyway, some already complain that their posts won't be seen when their threads are blended with other identical ones.

Thanks for understanding that moderation is not always easy for us, martinijo.

We do try to be fair - which often means putting aside our own personal views.
    Also, many of the issues at present are not a result of cut & dry rule breaking.

There does seem to be an increase in intolerant behaviour in MFD of late which is in contrast with the behaviour generally seen elsewhere on site.

I wonder whether it would help if new members were restricted to JSO (or somewhere) until a certain number of posts, or some other milestone, had been reached?
    Although JSO seems more adult than MFD these days so that idea may not be welcomed by current users

The more troublesome 'just joined to post about the almighty Creed' posters (not all are) would have a harder time if that were the case and could maybe just go and play together.

As has been pointed out, engaging some can be difficult and often, quite frankly, seems pointless as discussion isn't always possible.

There is a 'rate this thread' facility here - do any of us use it? It could perhaps be put to some use in terms of qualifying people to start threads outside JSO in combination with post count?
    Something similar already exists for split hosts in the Marketplace as both their feedback & post count are counted.

Anyway, hope everyone has a great weekend
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd May 2014 at 01:01 PM.

I think the JSO idea was mentioned a while back.
    Makes sense to me.

Maybe Danielle & Grant could look at this after the Bank Holiday please?

Think lpp nailed it with her penultimate response. The JSO idea is one that I would be willing to support - I hope we can get discussions going so that we can finally move forward from the whart that seems to be gradually creeping up on the site.