Code of Conduct

Default Montale Bottle Blues!

GUTTED!!

One of my Montales, Sweet Oriental Dream has been stinking (in the best possible way) my wardrobe out. I have my scents on a shelf in my wardrobe out of harms way and the sunlight. Since I bought SOD a few years ago, it has created a sweet, dreamy waft every time I open the door. I put it down to it's knockout strength. Recently, it's become really strong and I've noticed a small sticky patch on the shelf when I've investigated the rise in SOD aroma. It has puzzled me and caused a little worry, but not too much... Tonight, I went to my wardrobe, and it stinks of the sweet and sickly aroma of vanilla marzipan. I picked up my SOD and could feel it's sticky ooze, and a small puddle on the shelf. I examined the bottle to find a tiny hole where SOD was oozing out steadily... The hole was high on the bottle, towards the lower part of the curve of the bottle. I tried taping the hole, but it just fell off with the alcoholic liquid. I tried decanting the bottle into atomisers, but the nozzle wouldn't fit and I ended up with SOD all over my hands and the floor. In disappointed haste, I wrapped the bottle in tissue, shoved it in a bag, tied the bag and whizzed it in the bin. My room stinks, my hands stink (even after 3 washes) and my bin stinks.

It is a real puzzler... How did it acquire a hole? If the hole was always there, why after 3 years does it decide to start oozing marzipan?

Not only have I lost a bottle of Montale, but I have really gone off the sickly Sweet Oriental Dream after a killer dose!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Default Re: Montale Bottle Blues!

Montale moth?

Great story

Condolences on your loss!

You will need to conduct a forensic examination of the hole to get clues as to what caused it. You could post pics. Maybe the bottle sustained a traumatic injury. Did it fall over at some point? Did something collide with it? Do you in fact have aluminum-eating moths? We could all learn from this.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Blog Entries

Scary stuff!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

For sure that's a bummer. I have had Montale bottles leak from the nozzle but never from the bottle. Might have been a pinhead puncture that perhaps because of pressure inside just started to ooze. Strange for sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I had a 20ML travel size bottle do the same exact think. Except I couldn't see a hole. It was so tiny, it just looked as if it was seeping through like sweat.

Why can't you just decant it into another bottle? I'm not understanding that part.

You have an attention seeking bottle for sure. Feel sorry for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I had a 20ML travel size bottle do the same exact think. Except I couldn't see a hole. It was so tiny, it just looked as if it was seeping through like sweat.

Why can't you just decant it into another bottle? I'm not understanding that part.
    It was a really tiny hole, barely visible, it was just seeping out like you say.

I didn't have another bottle handy, and after trying to pump it into travel atomisers and it going everywhere, I was so disappointed and frustrated and also getting sick of the smell that I hastily disposed of it...

My room still smells of SOD four days later!!
    Last edited by LOST!; 24th March 2014 at 05:08 PM.
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    You have an attention seeking bottle for sure. Feel sorry for you though.
    TBH, I'm not too bothered. These things happen! It just means I need to buy a replacement gourmand scent soon!!
    LOST! in scent and music

I too have suffered a similar fate with this exact same scent. God knows how it leaked, its always upright in its bottle, but I discovered it one day after not touching it for months, the pouch it came in was completely saturated as was the inner box. The pouch had acted as a sponge and just kept soaking it up and now half the contents have been sponged out! And its a powerhouse for sillage.
    What a darn waste...
    Montale bottles have to be up there with the worst. Cheap, ugly and riddled with potential for flaws to occur.

This must be a recent occurrence, as my bottles from 2008 have never caused me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post
    Montale bottles have to be up there with the worst. Cheap, ugly and riddled with potential for flaws to occur.
    I agree - not among the most attractive aside from the differences in hue.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.