Code of Conduct

Default Can you trust buying online?

Specifically EBay? Searching prices for JPG Le Male on there, and they are significantly cheaper than it would be to buy in store (£35 for 125ml, for example), but I don't know what the chances are that items might be fake? Any advice?

Default Re: Can you trust buying online?

When I buy off ebay, I look for a fragrance that has a seal and a box. Also, I look for sellers with at least 99.5% approval rating. If the approval rating is lower than 99.5% then I read the comments/complaints to make a determination about the reliability of the seller. If the bottle has been opened, I email the seller and ask if the contents smell "good" (a subjective question, I realize). Many sellers will include information about the conditions under which the bottle has been stored and I hope to see that it has been stored in a dark, cool, dry, smoke-free environment. Using these criteria, I have been satisfied with my purchases. Good luck!

Many thanks for your detailed reply Curly, will follow up on your advice

Sometimes honest sellers themselves don't know whether what they're selling is authentic or not until it's pointed out to them. The good thing is that you are protected by Ebay's return policy so if you are not 100% satisfied, you have recourse to recover your loss.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I do not buy very often from Ebay. When I do one thing I look for besides the feedback is the price, It should be around the same as other sellers offering the same product. If it is much cheaper it raises a red flag for me. Feedback is important as well as a seller who is willing to answer your questions. I agree with sealed in the box.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

I do a lot of shopping on eBay. I just purchased TF noir de noir. I too look for sealed but sometimes you have to take a chance. I've been burned and I've made out a lot. I also frequent sites such as beauty encounter, fragrancenet, and lucky scent. Never had a bad experience with either bit BE takes a little longer to ship.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't bother with ebay for designer new purchases. I don't see much savings over established discounted retailers.

Used bottles are another story and I just bought a guerlain vetiver which was ~50% full and much less than 50% price.

rick

I purchase from ebay once in a while. Only had one transaction that was fraudulent. Sent it back for a refund with no problems. I always make sure the seller has a high approval rate also. And make sure the seller has a return policy (even though ebay and paypal will assist you with return issues).

You can't ignore Ebay because that price for Le Male, for example, is around the price we pay down here in discount stores. All that is happening is that the Ebay dealer has tapped into the same source of supply that discounters in other countries tap into.

Don't just look at the high approval rating, though.
    I remember the famous Sarah's shop in USA Ebay - she had thousands of positive feedbacks, but when I clicked on the three negative feedbacks, they all said she sold fakes. So, wanting to see what the fake Millesime Imperial she sold looked liked, I ordered a bottle, then told her it was a fake and got my money back. When I posted about the experience here, with pictures about how to spot the fake Creed bottle, it transpired that several members here had bought the same thing and were unaware that the ghastly scent was fake.

Other than for that one experience though - where I knew I'd be buying a fake - all my other purchases were excellent, and included several real Creeds.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 23rd March 2014 at 01:21 AM.

Default Can you trust buying online?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You can't ignore Ebay because that price for Le Male, for example, is around the price we pay down here in discount stores. All that is happening is that the Ebay dealer has tapped into the same source of supply that discounters in other countries tap into.

I remember the famous Sarah's shop in USA Ebay - she had thousands of positive feedbacks, but when I clicked on the three negative feedbacks, they all said she sold fakes. So, wanting to see what the fake Millesime Imperial she sold looked liked, I ordered a bottle, then told her it was a fake and got my money back. When I posted about the experience here, with pictures about how to spot the fake Creed bottle, it transpired that several members here had bought the same thing and were unaware that the ghastly scent was fake.

Other than for that one experience though - where I knew I'd be buying a fake - all my other purchases were excellent, and included several real Creeds.
    Regards,
    Renato
    so far, buying online has worked out well for me. However, it has always been in the retail price $50-$100 range. The three bottles of creed that I currently own are all bought from authorized retailers (brick and mortar stores), and I have yet to splurge money on a discounted creed or something of that caliber online.

As you said that you have bought real creeds from eBay, could you PM me some reputable sellers that you have purchased from. Thanks, much appreciated.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

All but a half dozen or so of my wardrobe have been online purchases. Only one went sour, and that due to leakage from a partial bottle in shipping. I had to utilize a complaint resolution with eBay to get my money back. Buying through the For Sale board on Basenotes has been a reliable and prime supply line for me

edit:

I forgot to mention that back in 2006 or so I had ordered a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed from an eBay seller with OK feedback. The bottle I received was Green Irish Fitch or something like that. Godawful! I did return it and got my money back. I posted negative feedback for the scumbag seller and he retaliated with negative feedback for me ( "never paid for it", "never returned the 'authentic bottle' of GIT", and a personal email from him: "enjoy your first negative feedback" etc.), as was allowed on eBay then. I sent complaints to the USPS, New York City District Attorney and a few other agencies but..of course nothing was ever done about it by them. He finally stopped selling under his eBay name but I suspect he simply started a new account and continues to fleece eBay buyers.
    Last edited by kbe; 23rd March 2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I want to add that the reason I buy off ebay is because it is the only place I know where I can find a ready supply of vintage perfume. As far as buying modern, brand-new fragrances, I have purchased directly from the manufacturer, or from Parfum1 or LuckyScent. I did buy a decant of Orange Sanguine from a seller on ebay and did not have any trouble. The marketplace on Basenotes is a good place too, but I did read some cautionary postings about individuals who were not considered reliable ( that was several months ago, though ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
    As you said that you have bought real creeds from eBay, could you PM me some reputable sellers that you have purchased from. Thanks, much appreciated.
    Unfortunately, it was quite some years ago, and i've deleted the records. I did buy testers without caps though, figuring counterfeiters aren't going to fake those.
    Regards,
    Renato

More common ones like Le Male are faked a lot so you have to watch out for those. I honestly would just buy from a store in person instead of taking a risk.

I buy off eBay a lot. I have a few sellers I trust and most of the time testers or 3.3 or 3.4s are significantly lower than what I can buy fragrances for at the brick and mortar stores. Even at TJ Maxx.

And this (below)... Many times I have bought a used bottle with 90 - 98% of the juice left at a VERY deep discount. I don't mind buying used bottles from an individual, with a good feedback rating as a seller, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    Used bottles are another story and I just bought a guerlain vetiver which was ~50% full and much less than 50% price.

rick

Can anyone tell me if they've had issues with lily direct online? They have a sale on penhaligon and L'Artisan and I haven't found any complaints on basenotes. I also ordered from beauty encounter I don't know how the quality is but I can say the shipping is extremely slow ordered more than a week ago and still waiting. I placed 2 orders since on lily direct and both took 2 days.

ebay, no. fragrancenet yes

I've purchased from fragrancenet and scented monkey... Both are legit and both have eBay stores.

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    I've purchased from fragrancenet and scented monkey... Both are legit and both have eBay stores.
    About that, is the fragrancenet store that is on eBay the same as fragrancenet.com? It seems pretty similar, but can anyone confirm for me? Thanks

It appears to me that it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
    About that, is the fragrancenet store that is on eBay the same as fragrancenet.com? It seems pretty similar, but can anyone confirm for me? Thanks
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Regards,
    Renato
    Interesting, I had a bad experience with Sarah's, too. I got some bad juice. Vintage. I asked for a refund but she was not cooperative at all. I had made several expensive purchases with her. That was my last.

I buy off Ebay a lot, but I follow a lot of personal rules:

1) Don't buy any 'new' bottles or popular perfumes unless the seller has a large number of positives and an overall positive of well over 99%, and is registered in the UK (not just selling in the UK).

2) If they don't respond to queries and requests for more images then I don't bid.

3) I don't buy large sizes unless either I'm sure that it's the real deal or it's a low enough price that I am prepared to take the risk (for perfumes which are not normally expensive). For instance, you can pick up Cabochard in a lot of places under £20 a bottle but it's not a popular perfume and is therefore less likely to have been faked.

4) Fakers aren't likely to sell half used bottles and you can often pick up a part used bottle for about the same amount as you could pick up a 5-10ml decant, so if they look right and the seller is responding and sounds human then they're often worth a punt, even if it's to sample a fragrance blind.

5) Know what the perfume and the bottle are MEANT to look like before bidding. You can usually get a large number of shots of a legitimate bottle, complete with the colour of the perfume itself, with a few seconds of internet searching.

6) Know exactly how much the retail cost for the item is, and use this to inform your budget for buying and when to stop. A £5 saving over RRP isn't worth it if there's £4 postage and all of the uncertainty of whether you're buying a fake thrown in. An unusual and vintage item is a different matter, but still, have a budget, stick to it and don't get carried away just because you want it.

All of these things together have meant that in several years (and approaching 200 purchases online) I've had one genuine bottle of Diorissimo which had turned and one genuine bottle of Chanel No5 EdT which had lost its top notes, but no fakes (to the best of my knowledge, cross matching scents with official samples etc to be sure that the real thing is in the bottle if I've got any doubts).

What I do really like on Ebay is the number of bundles of unusual samples that one can pick up from other collectors for a quarter of the price that you could pick them up if you went to Les Senteurs or wherever and bought each sample chosen individually. This sort of effectively random sampling is great for informing you about particular notes that you do and don't like, and if you use the BN Directory and reviews along with other sites, Turin etc then you can learn so much and I just refuse to believe that anybody who is selling a handful of identically labelled LuckyScent samples is going to go to the effort of faking those.

I don't have half of the hang ups that other people have about buying on Ebay because I've got very little money compared to pretty much every other scentaholic I've ever encountered, so I haven't got a cat in hell's chance of affording a full size Roja Dove or Amouage anyway. My rules work for the sub-£30 market.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I'm right there with you on the budget. I'm been an eBay member since 1999 with an 835 100% positive feedback rating...a lot more stuff than just fragrances though.

I follow about the same set of personal rules...or as I like to call it "common sense".

Be educated...and if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    I buy off Ebay a lot, but I follow a lot of personal rules...

I don't have half of the hang ups that other people have about buying on Ebay because I've got very little money compared to pretty much every other scentaholic I've ever encountered, so I haven't got a cat in hell's chance of affording a full size Roja Dove or Amouage anyway. My rules work for the sub-£30 market.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)