Code of Conduct

Default Classic fragrances?

What are in your opinion the classic fragrances of man who should be in our wardrobe and which the reformulation ruined and no longer are the same?Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Classic fragrances?

Herea re some of the classics I will never be without…

Knize Ten
    Derby
    Yatagan
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Bel Ami
    Or Black

…several others...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Herea re some of the classics I will never be without…

Knize Ten
    Derby
    Yatagan
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Bel Ami
    Or Black

…several others...
    thank you,those that are currently for sale?and about Kouros ,Jazz,Azzaro etc ,etc...

Polo is the true classic IMO. I currently only own the reformulated version - not quite as amazing as the original, but certainly reminds me of it.

But a top-hat and monocle are classics in a man's wardrobe. But I don't suggest we all run out and buy them - and certainly not wear them - simply because they are classics.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by ckampus View Post
    thank you,those that are currently for sale?and about Kouros ,Jazz,Azzaro etc ,etc...
    All of those I mentioned are currently for sale. Kouros is a good call as well...

Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree
    YSL pour Homme
    Tabac Original
    ADP Colonia
    Creed BDP
    Loewe para Hombre
    GFT Spanish Leather
    Knize Forest
    Caron pour un Homme

are some further classics with little or no reformulation and often good availability.

What are in your opinion the classic fragrances of man who should be in our wardrobe and which the reformulation ruined and no longer are the same?Thanks in advance.
    IMO, the classic Paco Rabanne Pour Homme earned its place in a man's wardrobe.
    There has been much debate about the recent reformulations and whether it has been ruined.

Fahrenheit & Egoiste for me are classics as well as those already listed
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Many already mentioned, but three must have classics to me are - Eau Sauvage edt, Chanel Pour Monsieur & Guerlain Vetiver.

Dunhill Blend 30
    Creed Royal English Leather
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Signoricci

Based upon my recent sampling of Egoiste this is one classic fragrance that has definitely been greatly diminished, if not ruined, by reformulation. I have no desire to own this current version but the bottle that I own is one that I will restrict use of in order to keep it in my wardrobe as long as possible.

Thanks to all who responded, but do not forget that it is hardly worth me know that particular fragrance was considered a classic, almost compulsory possess
    but that the version currently available, lacks the quality that made it a classic, so what good is me buy current versions that are so altered that the original had been nobody would remember them, I few days ago I passed by Sephora and tested the Paco Rabanne PH and I doubt that the scent had ever been in the history of men's perfumes: it would therefore to advise me as much as possible those you still believe they are not much adulterated, thanks.

it would therefore to advise me as much as possible those you still believe they are not much adulterated, thanks.
    Derby is still absolutely awesome, as well as Knize Ten (which I find it even better than it used to be in its original iteration).

Bel Ami is not much of what it used to be (was an austere citrus-leather and now is sort of a woody oriental) but it's still pretty good IMO. Or Black is less dark than it used to be but still awesome. Yatagan has the patch/castoreoum combo toned down but still head and shoulders above the average quality available on the market. Never smelled the original Vetyver by Givenchy but the current one is one of my favorite vetivers.
    Last edited by alfarom; 22nd March 2014 at 05:35 PM.

I can only speak for the current versions of Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge but would happily recommend these as classic fragrances that have survived varying degrees of reformulation.

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme is also still a fantastic fragrance.

Azzaro pour homme
    YSL Jazz
    YSL Rive gauche
    Dior eau sauvage
    Paco rabanne pour homme

Blog Entries

Givenchy Gentlemen- sexy, woody chypre, be sure it's vintage
    Lauren- Polo Green, vintage- if you like green chypres, this is beautiful, again, must be vintage
    Chanel- Bois des Iles- famous gingerbread note due to massive sandalwood
    Guerlain- Sous les Vent- gorgeous chypre, tangy bergamot and galbanum

I'm having some success in getting my husband to wear these.

Today's Halston Z-14 is highly faithful to the monumental original.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Helmut View Post
    I can only speak for the current versions of Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge but would happily recommend these as classic fragrances that have survived varying degrees of reformulation.

I found 2 bottles of Guerlain Vetiver,one high with a gold cap and another more square shape, which ones have the best juice?and about Azzaro PH and VC & A Tsar? still is good or to forget?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Lauren- Polo Green, vintage- if you like green chypres, this is beautiful, again, must be vintage
    Chanel- Bois des Iles- famous gingerbread note due to massive sandalwood
    Guerlain- Sous les Vent- gorgeous chypre, tangy bergamot and galbanum

I'm having some success in getting my husband to wear these.
    oh my God, if they are out of production where do I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    Azzaro pour homme
    YSL Jazz
    YSL Rive gauche
    Dior eau sauvage
    Paco rabanne pour homme
    Paco rabanne pour homme,are you sure that this is still good?

Blog Entries

oh my God, if they are out of production where do I find it?
    I found my GG on Ebay. Not very pricy. I got lucky. I found my Polo from someone here on BN. Keep your eyes peeled. It's like hunting for rare butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Many already mentioned, but three must have classics to me are - Eau Sauvage edt, Chanel Pour Monsieur & Guerlain Vetiver.
    Yup, those 3 would be in my Top 5, no question.

Blog Entries

If you like these kinds of scents try Mazzolari-Mazzolari, Lui, Vetyver or check out the chypres on Luckyscent. I like them because you get free samples with your order, or you can buy samples. Pick a category like 'woody' and that type of scent will be shown. Free shipping code is MUA. I'm not affiliated. Just use them frequently.

You might like this thread.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/377...n-t-disappoint
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd March 2014 at 07:51 PM.

about 2 hours ago, I went to a supermarket to buy a bottle of wine for my dinner and saw a pack of classic Brut by € 7.5 and bought it,; for about 20 years I did not smell this scent is not I'm liking? Another old classic that I could not remember more

Blog Entries

You might pick up some Old Spice for only about $8, it's a beautiful spicy classic done with clary sage. Also, Esteé Lauder Azurée ​can be tried at the women's section in dept stores. It's green leather. Many men like this and it's still available for only around $40.

Basenotes Junkie

'classics' aren't typically my thing. However Guerlain vetiver is a classic and definitely in my really like it list. Eau savage might work its way in, though my wife isn't going to like it.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I found my GG on Ebay. Not very pricy. I got lucky.
    I got my vintage GG on ebay as well for a very fair price. I never wore it when it first came out and am so regretting that now. It is one I like very much.

+1 for Fahrenheit.

I can't tell you what should be in your wardrobe. And while there are many reformulations that I consider awful, some are "borderline" and others are at least fairly good. Still others were never reformulated and are still available at non-crazy prices. An obvious example for me is Lapidus Pour Homme (1987). I would never want to be without vintage but have no interest in the more recent formulation.

Ungaro I

for swap/sale:

Mitsokou & Shalimar,
    They are very classic, and easily accessible

Paco rabanne pour homme,are you sure that this is still good?
    PR ph is still a very strong fragrance, it is weak compared to the vintage ones but you really dont need it to be stronger than what it is now. Azzaro ph is a good fragrance too.

Aqua Di Selva, Dana English Leather, Caron PH, Atkinsons English Lavender, Old Spice and Yardley English Lavender are the oldest scents still around and being sold in quantity, but only Caron has the status of classic ( I don't count the air freshener, 4711, though it obviously is a classic).

Guerlain Vetiver from 1961, and Brut from 1964 would be the two more recent classics I'd nominate.

I suppose another issue that arises is how old does a scent have to be before it can genuinely be considered as classic? For example, Fahrenheit and Joop Homme were plainly game changers, but they're only 26 and 25 years old respectively - that's 18 years younger than classic heavy rock.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Derby is still absolutely awesome, as well as Knize Ten (which I find it even better than it used to be in its original iteration).

Bel Ami is not much of what it used to be (was an austere citrus-leather and now is sort of a woody oriental) but it's still pretty good IMO. Or Black is less dark than it used to be but still awesome. Yatagan has the patch/castoreoum combo toned down but still head and shoulders above the average quality available on the market. Never smelled the original Vetyver by Givenchy but the current one is one of my favorite vetivers.
    Thank you so much answering a long standing question of mine. Is Knize 10 as good as in the past. I am overjoyed and heading to Lucky Scents now.
    John aka Easykiller

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions about classic fragrances; received yesterday a pack of 110ml AramisAramis and 125ml Moschino Uomo?; Aramis is really different (worse) than I knew, less stocky, shorter longevity and projection, but not bad, the Moschino not know him but I liked him, maybe for next spring is a right pick; liked to buy Kouros and Jazz but should be a disappointment; another fragrance that I liked were Chevignon Brand, and Insensé but I think that no longer exist on the market: I'll test Azzaro PH and Tsar, which are also much appreciated but by example I sniffed a few days ago and did not like Fahrenheit

Kouros and Antaeus..even reformulated!

Dior Fahrenheit
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Helmut View Post
    I
    Agreed
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

thanks...i read with great interest your posts and i have been going through your older posts on all things cologne. I joined not long ago. Your recent entry on "classic Men's cologne" was just what i needed-i went out found Bel Ami for $99.00, Yagatan, and have an order placed for Derby, and Knize Ten-and Givenchy's Vetiver so thank you. Furthermore, i expressed an interest in Any Tauer's Lonestar Memories and i believe it was you who pointed me in the direction of Le LAbo's Oud 27 (fantastic) and Patchouli 24 (Lovely) I really don't want to take your expertise without saying thank you very much!
    All the best, Z14

[Herea re some of the classics I will never be without…

Knize Ten
    Derby
    Yatagan
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Bel Ami
    Or Black

…several others...]

thanks...i read with great interest your posts and i have been going through your older posts on all things cologne. I joined not long ago. Your recent entry on "classic Men's cologne" was just what i needed-i went out found Bel Ami for $99.00, Yagatan, and have an order placed for Derby, and Knize Ten-and Givenchy's Vetiver so thank you. Furthermore, i expressed an interest in Any Tauer's Lonestar Memories and i believe it was you who pointed me in the direction of Le LAbo's Oud 27 (fantastic) and Patchouli 24 (Lovely) I really don't want to take your expertise without saying thank you very much!
    All the best, Z14

Guerlain Vetiver
    YSL Kouros
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Caron Pour Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Antaeus

Basenotes Plus

Eternity for men
    Rush PH
    Envy PH

2 perfumes that I have used and loved in the nineties were Cacharel pour homme, and Dior Dune; someone can tell me if they are still good? Thanks.

Fahrenheit
    Pour Monsieur Concentree
    Egoiste
    Xeryus Rouge
    Boss Elements
    Ferragamo Pour Homme (red box)
    Calvin by Calvin Klein (dark blue bottle)
    Kouros
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

Sound Scents

The list of classics worth owning is way too long to mention here -- I and many others have spent years (decades) trying to seek many of them out and are still on the hunt for so many more. That said, as your additional stipulation is that they are currently available and worth owning in the current form, my list shrinks to only a handful or so, as most have either been discontinued or are a shadow of their great former selves. The truth is, the vintage bottles are absolutely worth the time and effort to seek out the original formulas on the aftermarket, skipping the frequently altered inferior current stuff. Sure, there is some risk of older bottles turning due to poor storage and the like, but the olfactory rewards are far greater, IMO, and many are quite inexpensive in relative terms to the current stuff on the market that couldn't hold a candle to them.

As for currently available classics still worth owning in the current formulations... The aforementioned Derby is still great (though pricey), as is Gianfranco Ferré for Man.
    Last edited by drseid; 30th March 2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It depends on what you mean by "classic".

I assume classics are blends with limited projection and longevity, an attribute common among men's EdCs released before the 1970's, or afterwards, however along beforementioned crtieria:

Dior's Eau Sauvage
    Givenchy's Monsieur
    Caron's Pour Un Homme
    Le Galion's For the Gentleman (a rarity for it has been discontinued ages ago, however very similar to Caron's Pour Un Homme)
    Hermes Eau D'Orange Vert
    Chanel's Monsieur
    Shulton's Old Spice
    R&G's Jean Marie Farina
    R&G's Vetiver
    Guerlaín's Vetiver
    Givenchy's Vetiver
    Lanvin's Vetiver
    Dana's Canoe

Plus some local ones released decades ago.

The curent versions are still good.
    Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui
    Guerlain Heritage