Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Default Left a bad taste! Literally! Has this ever happened to you?

One of my first reviews on Basenotes was for Aromatics Elixir, which I noted smelled great on my dear late mom, and on me like Black Flag—no exaggeration. Anyway, I was at Macy's today and thought I would revisit this fragrance to see if my perfumed peregrinations may have opened my mind and nose a bit. I had one spritz on the back of my hand and a little on the cuff of my winter jacket. Not too bad on the fabric. On me, still insecticidal, and, moreover, I could taste it! Bitter and scary. I came home and scrubbed.

My question is: have you ever had a fragrance travel from skin to tastebuds? And how good or bad was that?The SA spritzed close to my hand so I doubt any went directly toward my mouth, and I tasted it half an hour later when I got home.

As to the scent itself: not quite as resinous as I remember, but dry, "crackly", and "poisonous", it really smells like something that ought to carry a warning. A chypre as worn by Maleficent, perhaps.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: Left a bad taste! Literally! Has this ever happened to you?

Ouch! You must be very sensitive to some particular material in AE. I've never had that particular tastebuds experience, though there are materials that cause some reactions beyond the nose (like vintage Champagne/Yvresse, that makes me gasp for air).

Certainly not with AE, which I love (and it is my mom's signature scent too). How about other creation by Chant, like Azuree or Aramis? But I agree that AE has a lot of medicinal, bitter, resinous materials, and probably with time the patch has grown in weight relative to the oakmoss.

cacio

Yes, I did have a fragrance that somehow I could taste, and it was also from a sample sprayed by a salesperson. It felt a little weird, but it was a very tame Aerin Lauder floral so it wasn't offensive.

I would probably go to the emergency room if it were Aromatics Elixir. Another I would fear is Le Labo Patchouli 24.

I guess it's possible. Air travels through the nasal cavity down into the throat, and some of the offending molecules get stuck to the back of the tongue to activate the taste receptors there.

Default Left a bad taste! Literally! Has this ever happened to you?

Experienced that once with what I ended up being pretty sure was a counterfeit. Very alarming because I have heard some horror stories about some of the ingredients that are used in fakes.

Since it happened at a reputable retailer, you must just be sensitive to something in that particular one. Note to self, I guess.

queen of the universe

Noted! Funny how the bit I sprayed on my coat sleeve is actually pleasant, and incensy rose.
    Re: others by Chant, I haven't smelt Aramis in years because I smelled it every day in music school back in the 70s! That and Eau Sauvage were the smell-the-clear-down-the-hall signatures of the male voice majors. I do like Devin and have no problem with it. Cabochard is on my to-try list.

Blog Entries

This happens to me all the time. I think the nose and mouth- sinuses are closely linked. No surprise here.

queen of the universe

The faint remainder of it after scrubbing is actually fetching. I suppose I would have to give half a spritz to a cotton ball then sparingly apply from there. Why should I let one bad sniff scare me off?

You could try Aramis 900 instead. It's clearly a repurposing of AE, just a bit quieter and rosier.

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    This happens to me all the time. I think the nose and mouth- sinuses are closely linked. No surprise here.
    I agree. I taste scents all the time as well. There's a specific combination of soapy white musk and florals - If it's in a perfume, I taste it in the back of my mouth and top of my throat after smelling my arm up close, almost as if I licked my arm. At first I was weirded out but have long since accepted it. I think this sinus explanation is probably what's causing it...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vbrown View Post
    Experienced that once with what I ended up being pretty sure was a counterfeit. Very alarming because I have heard some horror stories about some of the ingredients that are used in fakes.

Since it happened at a reputable retailer, you must just be sensitive to something in that particular one. Note to self, I guess.
    One industrial solvent, DMSO, is actually used to enhance skin absorption of things, and thus a highly pure version is used in dermal pharmaceuticals. It can give a garlicky taste, which is a bit of a warning after it gets on skin. Nasty stuff if they used it in fakes. It could be used to increase viscosity, however, and it dissolves damn near everything, including a lot of stuff that probably shouldn't be in fragrance. UGH.

Sometimes, (the over use of?) some aldehydes literally give me a bad taste in my mouth, probably other ingredients too but I don't know which yet!
    This doesn't happen with any scents that I own, only with some samples which then end up in the 'reject' pile

Not perfume, but I get bad migraines and have to do the Imitrex by injection, and that definitely has an awful taste as it gets into the bloodstream. I'm tolerant of this now since it always signals the relief coming, but it's definitely unpleasant. You can, absolutely, taste things that are in your blood, so if some perfume gets in through your skin I do think you could taste it, especially since you must be hypersensitive to something unpleasant in the AE that most people only perceive minimally so it adds something nice to the smell for them.

I'd be wary of this, personally. If your body rejects the smell, there may be some reason (allergy? who knows..) Not saying I'd worry about one exposure that didn't cause harm, just that I'd avoid putting it on my skin if this happened.

Basenotes Institution

Never happened to me.

Try AE in body lotion or cream. It's much tamer.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Did not happen to me so far, but then again my fragrance experience is quite limited and thus making lots of future, so far unknown, experiences possible. The few times when fragrance either accidentally got in contact with my tastebuds or influenced not just my sense of smell, but also of taste more or less directly, the sensation never went beyond neutral and spirity (at least, as a merely subjective perception).

Blog Entries

This happens is a good way, too. Often I'll have the sensation that I would like to drink a perfume, if it is especially wonderful and 'boozy' or gormand in nature.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th March 2014 at 02:09 PM.

This happens is a good way, too. Often I'll have the sensation that I would like to drink a perfume, if it is especially wonderful and 'boozy' or gormand in nature.
    I personally don't wear gourmands much since I prefer eating or drinking the actual things. All the same, Sancti by Les Liquides Imaginaires has an incisive, crystal clear, unsweetened and quite sparkly citrus opening I'd love to drink. But I imagine all it will take is one swig to disabuse me of that notion.

Yes it has! Fragrances which are heavy on the oakmoss and/or galbanum do that to me. When I wear Cabochard, or Azuree I can often taste them. I just assumed that it was the same for everyone, that they were so pungent you could taste 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Sometimes, (the over use of?) some aldehydes literally give me a bad taste in my mouth, ,
    Come to think of it, that happened w Hugo in the past, which I think is heavy in aldehydes.

Blog Entries

Sinuses have nothing to do with it. The nasal passages are connected with the back of the throat; that's why you can still breathe with your mouth closed. lt's perfectly possible for the vapour you're breathing in through your nose to pass into your mouth sometimes.
    This has happened to me especially with fragrances that have a strong bergamot top note, eg. lmperial Opoponax & the modern Shalimar EDP. They made me sneeze, too. l usually hold my breath for a moment after spraying such fragrances, to let the vapour dissipate.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Sure- nasal passages, sinuses, I'm definitely not a physician. I just know I taste the things I breathe and visa versa.