Code of Conduct

Default Someone hating your fragrance - has this ever happened to you?

On the weekend, I was running late (why do my keys always hide when I want them?) so I ran to the stop to be sure I'd catch the bus.

I'd sprayed myself with Jovoy's Private label about half an hour prior--three sprays. I thought it would be enough time for the fragrance to settle down, but apparently not.

A young lass on the bus in front of me held a (quite audible) whispered conversation with her friend about how 'someone' had gotten on and was stinking up the place with this horrible, musky, soapy fragrance.

I was more amused than anything--it's not to everyone's taste and it's NOT refined, but it's interesting that she said musk when the scent is smoky vetiver over leather.

I tapped her on the shoulder and told her the note she hated was vetiver and that the perfume didn't contain musk. She apologised, sort of (obviously embarrassed to be heard, but if you don't want to be heard, don't discuss people on public transport while they're sitting behind you) and just repeated that it was musky. I let it go, but thought internally "I don't care that you hate it, but it's not musk!"

I checked with the friend I was meeting and she confirmed that even when I hugged her it wasn't overwhelming. Possibly the girl on the bus was just really sensitive, or silage was increased due to me running and being warm.

I've tried perfumes on myself that made me gag so badly I had to drive home with the windows open, but I've never had this reaction from a stranger before. Has anyone experienced anything like it?

Default Re: Someone hating your fragrance - has this ever happened to you?

I have seen what happened to you happen with other people in public places, but haven't had it happen personally to me within listening distance, or if it did, I was probably oblivious to it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have had some bad reactions from people wearing Dior Homme (reform). It was spoken about in much the same way as yours was. A young woman waiving their hands around her nose claiming something stinks. She must have worked out that it was my cologne because she relocated her seat. I had only two sprays and had applied maybe an hour prior. This is the only fragrance I have a bad reaction from like this. While I did not like it and was left feeling a little uncomfortable it was not enough to stop me wearing it again. I think that some people just don't like the smell of perfumes in general.

So far- there were generally two more important categories of such reactions. The first type being when an actual note is unpleasantly perceived- often not even the fragrance nor me as the wearer, thus understandably due to quite likely an allergy caused by certain notes, ingredients, components. And then there are unfavorable reactions regarding fragrances altogether, but often even without direct contact with the fragrance- far more because, as a general principle, the fragrance hobby would be obsolete, costly, even (?) damaging and unsanitary from a both physical and also psychological viewpoint, tedious, ungainly, right down to tasteless and showy, uninteresting and uninspired etc.

In both cases, tend to either avoid wearing fragrances or at least the ones affected by this, but also apply less- yet in the first case theres is still some room for wearing other notes and/or scents not favoring, causing etc. adverse reactions (though this can be tricky and difficult too).

Other than that, lucky enough to never have had any allergic reactions to fragrances so far (apart from once when I was 6, but not due to a fragrance worn by me, since I was too young for fragrances back then) and also simply avoiding the very few scents I cannot really enjoy.

Coincidentally the last perfume I wore that gave me the most compliments was Private Label.
    Well to be fair I was in a boardroom among mostly men upwards of 30 years.

for swap/sale:

Isn't it a great fragrance?

Irony of ironies, the girl who was commenting was wearing a really bad dupe of Angel. She was also a teenager. I was heroically self-controlled and didn't comment. Maybe her tastes will develop as she grows up. Oh well, I still like it even if it's a little unexpected for me (as a woman in my 30s) to be wearing it.

Oddly enough, my (male) boss really likes it, and when I got it delivered and he came over to see what I'd got, asked where I'd got it. Spreading the word!

Blog Entries

Has not happened to me in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Coincidentally the last perfume I wore that gave me the most compliments was Private Label.
    Well to be fair I was in a boardroom among mostly men upwards of 30 years.
    People who choose to seize the day, generally understand that every unexpected thing is worth seeing in its most optimal way, understanding as best as it can be understood, and treasured as a moment that can never return. That is why such people are entrusted with plotting the course and steering the ship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethiel View Post

Irony of ironies, the girl who was commenting was wearing a really bad dupe of Angel. She was also a teenager. I was heroically self-controlled and didn't comment. Maybe her tastes will develop as she grows up. Oh well, I still like it even if it's a little unexpected for me (as a woman in my 30s) to be wearing it.

Oddly enough, my (male) boss really likes it, and when I got it delivered and he came over to see what I'd got, asked where I'd got it. Spreading the word!
    I didn't realize this was by Cécile Zarokian. The woman is a fantastic talent - a true artist. No wonder this stuff is so good!

Yes, doesn't bother me, there's no accounting for taste and who cares about any one else's opinion? Not me, nobody else matters to me but me, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Has not happened to me in a long time.

People who choose to seize the day, generally understand that every unexpected thing is worth seeing in its most optimal way, understanding as best as it can be understood, and treasured as a moment that can never return. That is why such people are entrusted with plotting the course and steering the ship.
    Boardrooms are nice but I'd much rather have been hiking or diving....

for swap/sale:

I hadn't realized your were a lady.
    You have to try Sycomore & Vetiver Bourbon.

for swap/sale:

Sycomore, part of the Chanel Les Exclusifs range? I'll see if I can track it down. Thank you for the rec!

Are you recommending the Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris or by Monotheme?

Sycomore, part of the Chanel Les Exclusifs range? I'll see if I can track it down. Thank you for the rec!

Are you recommending the Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris or by Monotheme?
    Yes & Miller Harris.

for swap/sale:

I don't know about hating, but some scents I have worn caused reactions in some people.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Never happened to me. If it did, I just didn't notice.

Well- does my sister count? She is terribly allergic to almost all perfumes (has even been hospitalized a couple of times from inhaling some perfumes that people have worn around her), and as a result when I visit her I don't wear any. But I did forget one time and she told me I was "stinky"-lol. I do try to avoid wearing scents, though, when I am on airplanes as you never know if there will be someone around with the same type of allergy. Although, I don't think I've ever had an audible conversation that the wearer can hear- there are many times when someone around me is wearing a perfume that I dislike and I'll try to hold my breath if I'm in a tight place like an elevator.

Ajmal's AA Pure Indian Musk Gazelle... but they had a point.

Basenotes Plus

Yes....and I still miss her sometimes
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Yes. And usually under the same circumstances. Actually this morning I over-sprayed Nautica's Voyage (normally very pleasant after drydown) before work and I heard a couple people mention that someone over-did it on the cologne this morning when they walked by my cube. Wasn't big news to me...I already knew I'd goofed when I got out of my car. LOL

Those top notes can be very harsh sometimes.

On the weekend, I was running late (why do my keys always hide when I want them?) so I ran to the stop to be sure I'd catch the bus.

I'd sprayed myself with Jovoy's Private label about half an hour prior--three sprays. I thought it would be enough time for the fragrance to settle down, but apparently not...

Yes - I was trying out Black Cashmere by Donna Karan. Like the OP, I thought I had let enough time pass to settle the fumes before boarding the bus. But not for everyone, apparently. This lady I sat close to took an audible sniff, yelled "Aiyah!" and then got up and ran towards the seat furthest away from me while saying something loudly in Cantonese that I couldn't understand but definitely got the gist of. I'm glad I was just taking the BC DK out for a whirl and that it was not a long-beloved scent of mine. I didn't really take it personally, and now I can laugh about it.

Basenotes Junkie

My wife hates half of the things I try out. I love leathers but she's not keen. More than a few times I've sprayed something and she's asked that I go wash it off and not wear it around her.

thanks
    rick

I had this horrible exprience some years ago when I went to work wearing YSL Kouros to work. A colleague commented loudly on how overpowering it smelled, when all I did was a light spritz behind each ear. She could not stop bitching about it all day! Later that day I was thinking to myself,"Maybe she's not used to smelling heavy fragrances," but when I wore Contradiction for men the next day and she commented the same way, I think she's the one with the problem!

A friend a few times has said to me, "I don't like that!" Each time its a different one but they were vanilla based(she does not like vanilla in perfume), I don't take her under my notice.

I have hated what others have worn though. A co worker back in the 90s drown herself in CK Escape it was vile, but I never mentioned to her as it was her decision to wear it. Another chose as her signature Samsara and wore it everyday, I grew to hate the stuff and even today can spot it in a crowded street.
    DONNA

On of my coworkers has a strong aversion to incense in every form. The worst part is that incense is definitely one of my favorite notes and wear it most of the times....oh well...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

A beautiful quote worth keeping.

So far nobody has expressed intense dislike for anything I've worn, luckily. I've been on the other end, though. I have an aunt who bathes in Pure Poison. I love her dearly, but when she gets in the car with me, I have to stick my head out the window for some fresh air. It's not the scent itself that I loathe, but the amount that she wears. I haven't said anything, though. Not sure it's worth the hurt feelings for an hour of discomfort every now and then.

Hasn't happened to me directly though I'm sure there has been a comment or two behind my back (I mean I wear fragrance every day, it's bound to annoy someone).

What's funny is that someone could get on that bus smelling like 3 day old garbage, cigarette smoke, or like they've spent the afternoon in a kitchen cooking with garlic and onions and nobody would bat an eye, as these are all considered "natural smells" for one reason or another.

Granted, your perfume was probably strong at the time. However, her comments were unnecessary. People often have knee-jerk reactions to things that catch them off guard (which perfume can do), and don't like disruptions to their perceived patterns of life. So while they expect smokey garbage guy to get on the bus, they don't expect Ms. Jovoy, and that throws them for a loop and results in the rude comments.

I have never had this happen to me. I am fine with smelling fragrances that I dislike on others, but what I really hate is when people bathe themselves in fragrances that I hate (especially) and fragrances in general. I mean, there is honestly no fragrance that needs above 5 sprays. This is one of my top pet peeves...
    "As perfume doth remain In the folds where it hath lain, So the thought of you, remaining Deeply folded in my brain, Will not leave me: all things leave me: You remain."

-Arthur Symons

I think I was wearing 2 sprays of Creed's Original Vetiver.

I was working at a restaurant and a male co-worker exclaimed to me "Dude, did you put on that patchouli stuff from some head shop? My hippie ex used to wear that sh!t.".

I've had friends tell me they don't like my fragrance, but never this. Or, at least, not in my adult years. Maybe when I was in high school first discovering them.

My ex-girlfriend used to hate half the bottles on my shelf as well. I would try and not wear those around her but it never stopped me from wearing them at any other given occasion. I still recall her choking on A*Men when I made her smell it on my wrist. I absolutely love that juice but it seems like some people are still having trouble with it

No, but instead the contrary happens to me quite often.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/