Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Power Where You Need It

Default Naomi Goodsir - Or Du Serail

News from Esxence in Milan…

*Taken from Bergamotto & Benzoino's blog*

After Bois d'Ascèse and Cuir Velours, Naomi Goodsir presented her third fragrance: Or du Serail. I've worn it yesterday with great pleasure, I recognized the same search for "texture" that characterizes her first two. Her vision of what a scent is, evidently includes strong tactile impact, and Or du Serail makes no difference: it reminded me a of silken velvet in a golden shade.
    Tobacco and sage (which gives hints of leather /tobacco ), mate (dry, aromatic, slightly tobacco), dried fruits (such as dates) and an amber accord make it a contemporary fragrance, sultry, smiling, rich, liqueur-y, almost sticky-ripe, yet not "too much". A gourmand scent but of an adult kind, on the edge of sophistication. The perfume was composed by Bertrand Duchaufour and when I heard this I was surprised because, in all its glory , does not bear Bertrand usual "hand" or signature. Naomi told me that Bertrand has endeavored a great deal to understand and realize exactly the idea that she had in mind -Naomi is a particularly tough evaluator, she was told. In my opinion some of the best fragrances that BD has composed lately are those made for Aedes de Venustas, Neela Vermeire and Naomi Goodsir; they are so different that what we perceive is mainly the quality of the idea, rather than the hand of the composer. Obviously, when there's someone behind the project with a clear vision and a willingness to take some risks, and when he/she decides to work with an extraordinary talent like BD's, any creative goal can be easily achieved. Bravo Naomi!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Re: Naomi Goodsir - Or Du Serail

Strange...on Goodsir website there is another "third" launch called Nuit de Bakelite, created by Isabelle Doyen...

http://www.naomigoodsirparfums.com/collection_nuit.html

Tired of gourmand-amber scents so Im more interested in Nuit than Or Du Serail
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 24th March 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    Strange...on Goodsir website there is another "third" launch called Nuit de Bakelite, created by Isabelle Doyen...
    ^^^ This one have been postponed ad nauseam. I really don't know what's going on with NDB.

I've given Or du Serail a quick smell, it's definitely rich and mellow, much powdery and sweeter than one may expect - although the definition of gourmand quite fits it.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Power Where You Need It

I'm not excited

The bottle label is very Luten-esque (old design).

anyone tried this?

Curious about this as well.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I tried this and her first two from a free sample that Luckyscent sent me with a purchase I made recently. It smelled very nice IMO. Sort of a fruity tobacco mix but not too sweet. A shame for me that her scents only are released in small sizes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I tried this and her first two from a free sample that Luckyscent sent me with a purchase I made recently. It smelled very nice IMO. Sort of a fruity tobacco mix but not too sweet. A shame for me that her scents only are released in small sizes.
    Why? you running low on juice?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Why? you running low on juice?
    Not last time I checked. Just don't add lines to my collection that only release in 50 ml.
    Last edited by hednic; 13th June 2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Alfarom -

Excellent post! Thanks for the info.

Dried fruit and tobacco - hasn't Serge Lutens already done that to death? But I will seek out a sniff anyway, out of curiosity.

I sampled this today. Very nice. If you enjoy the other two scents from this house, I have no doubt you'll like this one also. Naomi seems to really get what she envisions out of the noses' she hires. There's definitely a Naomi Goodsir signature in all three of her scents, and I just happen to really enjoy and agree with her nose. This house is three for three in my book. Love them all.
    Last edited by thebeck; 17th June 2014 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Any other thoughts on this one? I'm looking at the notes and it sounds quite nice, but there's not much in the way of reviews.
    I second this notion...

Its a nice scent—nothing revolutionary. Extremely realistic tobacco note with a good fruit blend that's not too obnoxious. Bit of a letdown in the base, but nothing too heartbreaking.

I actually disliked it when I first smelled it as I only smelled it on a strip and found it too honeyed. But on skin, I found that it wore much better. It's not patch on Bois d'Ascese (but what could be?) yet it's a step up from Cuir Velours (not saying much).
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th July 2014 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I sampled this today. Very nice. If you enjoy the other two scents from this house, I have no doubt you'll like this one also. Naomi seems to really get what she envisions out of the noses' she hires. There's definitely a Naomi Goodsir signature in all three of her scents, and I just happen to really enjoy and agree with her nose. This house is three for three in my book. Love them all.
    That's good to hear. Got a split of this and waiting for it to arrive. Big fan of Cuir Velours. I also like Bois d'Ascese.
    Last edited by CaliDude; 24th July 2014 at 03:20 AM.

Sound Scents

The fruit-laced tobacco open and mid sections are absolutely incredible smelling... The base unfortunately is a norlimbanol infused cop out and somewhat spoils the overall effect. Still a very good effort on the whole but probably the most disappointing composition I have sniffed so far this year because it could have been something *really* special and not just a notable "also ran". A real shame...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Finally got my nose on this. It's a lot of dried fruit (think Jubilation XXV) with tobacco in the background. I really like it, it's unique.

If I had to rank the Goodsir fragrances, I'd say Or du Serail is tied with Cuir Velours, and after that would be Bois d'Ascese. All three are really good fragrances. I'm digging this house.

I'm getting my sample of B d'A tomorrow and looking forward to it; got my split portion of Or du Serail today...I'm expecting the most from BdA to be honest, I love smokey scents and incense...after hearing the dried fruit comment and Amouage reference, I'm not looking forward to trying Or du Serail it will most likely be a reference fragrance for me at this point for my own Bespoke - I had no idea the note profiles were so similar to each other while creating the fragrance for my friend's wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Finally got my nose on this. It's a lot of dried fruit (think Jubilation XXV) with tobacco in the background. I really like it, it's unique.

If I had to rank the Goodsir fragrances, I'd say Or du Serail is tied with Cuir Velours, and after that would be Bois d'Ascese. All three are really good fragrances. I'm digging this house.

I had to follow up on Or du Serail by saying that I am tremendously disappointed after trying and being blow away by Bois d'Ascese last week. The opening is just too much for me, it smells like fruit - I'm getting coconut and a strange cherry-type smell with hints of apple. The tobacco could have been amped up quite a bit in my opinion...the tobacco is more of the "blonde" type. Overall, smells like sniffing a swisher sweet soaked in amaretto. I guess if I was compare this to something, it would be the fruit-infused child of Serge Lutens Chergui and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. This might sound great for some but definitely not for me - sticking with Bois d'Ascese for now...I still have to try Cuir Velours.

I'm getting my sample of B d'A tomorrow and looking forward to it; got my split portion of Or du Serail today...I'm expecting the most from BdA to be honest, I love smokey scents and incense...after hearing the dried fruit comment and Amouage reference, I'm not looking forward to trying Or du Serail it will most likely be a reference fragrance for me at this point for my own Bespoke - I had no idea the note profiles were so similar to each other while creating the fragrance for my friend's wedding.

Not enjoying it outside of its opening. The "ash tray" vibe comes up too fast.

In Or du Serail? I don't get any ash tray or smoke at all, there is a slight honeyed wood/musk thing going on and definitely a warm amber/beeswax combo in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Not enjoying it outside of its opening. The "ash tray" vibe comes up too fast.

In Or du Serail? I don't get any ash tray or smoke at all, there is a slight honeyed wood/musk thing going on and definitely a warm amber/beeswax combo in the middle.
    Hmm, what about the end for you?

Same here. I actually wish it had something akin to an ashtray vibe ... I think it potentially could take this from a good scent to a great scent, honestly.

Anyone see anywhere where I can get some samples of this? Been meaning to try but everywhere has no samples currently it seems. Thanks

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    Anyone see anywhere where I can get some samples of this? Been meaning to try but everywhere has no samples currently it seems. Thanks
    Here

Well a member was kind of enough to send me a sample of this.. Well I tested it on paper and then sadly went and I set it down it fell off the table and everything fell out onto the carpet... -__________-

So I cant tell you what it smells like on skin.. But on paper honestly this reminded me of a bad a Ambre Narguile... I got the same kinda pie sorta vibe. Now granted I dont like eat or like pie. But that one is so well done I appreciate it and like it quite a bit. This one however smells just like a ton of super sweet fruit and jam are just bursting out of the pie and its to much. I dont really get any other nuisances like I was hoping to on paper. And I can tell you my carpet smells like complete shit. Just way to fruity sweet. Anyway umm ya, honestly in the past few years ive been into fragrances this is the first time ive ever dropped something at least so I guess it had to happen eventually.