Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What's your most pleasant unexpected discovery?

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    Attachment 26725

Smalto by Francesco Smalto is the fougere that I have always been dreaming of.
    Two months ago, I have been delighted to discover that my dream could come to life. This sophisticated fougere overshadows many others in my personal Hall of Fame.
    i totally agree , seen it available at a ridiculous price & purchased a large bottle blind !! wow i should have got two .
    it seems hard to find again & prices are up again .
    A real sleeper & a quality frag , like his brother

J'S Exte Man

I read it was a good cheapie and smelled something like DHI without the lipstick note and some even compared it to Tobacco Vanille if I am not mistaken. I didn't expect much of it but gave it a go. I bought a 25ml bottle for only €7 and I must say it is an excellent fragrance that smells very good and lasts all day! It smells to me like a seductive (more masculine than DHI) patchouli-vanille combo and its quality to price value is excellent! I understand why people compare it to DHI, though DHI is of course superior but also way more expensive.

It is a perfect fragrance for people who don't want to spend too much money on DHI and want something 'similar' and more masculine.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 28th March 2014 at 10:29 AM.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - Loewe: Esencia
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud
    - Knize Ten
    - YSL: Kouros (Fracheur)
    - Dior: Aqua Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Anything that Calvin Klein released lately, really. They have released crap for about 20 years and hence it is justified that their fragrances be underrated. But what they've released in the last 4 years have all been consistently good. I came to this realization after spraying CK One Summer 2014 on myself this past weekend - this thing smells good! So does CK One Shock, CK One Shock Street, and Dark Obsession.
    Crave was good..imo and so Obsession ph

Bogart Pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

$16 USD average for a 3.4 oz tester w/shipping included on eBay. The top notes aren't bad, but the real treat comes in the dry down. A very refreshing cherry tobacco smell heavy on tonka beans and vanilla.

If "sweet" isn't your thing it could probably be a little nauseating. I'm a fan of gourmand fragrances so this one was right up my alley.
    A single simple smile can change the world

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Insurrection II Dark
    Taxi by Confinluxe
    Bravo - Diamond Collection (Copy of Only the Brave by Diesel)
    Bravo Tattoo - Diamond Collection (Copy of Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel)
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Generic high-end, classic -styled, local haberdasher's EdCs, somehow reminiscent of Penhaligon's Castile.
    James Smart's Leslie.
    Fueguia's Un Poema de los Dones.
    Zara's Intense Vetiver

I am using the first one on a daily basis and since it is an EdC, it won't suffocate you as many ultra-strong niche powerbombs would. Def to be worn in formal occasions, it is quite fleeting but on clothes it will linger for a respectable amount of time. To my surprise, it brings complements. Besides, it is quite inexpensive if bought in the right stores (James Smart's Lahore is expensive, The London Tie's version is quite affordable).

Leslie is plain lavander EdC. Love it.

Fueguia's Un Poema de los Dones is the best of the line, IMHO. It is an oriental, quite strong though. A small spray will go a long way.

Zaras Intense Vetiver is a toned down Guerlain Vetiver, with a contemporary twist. It won't last as much.

Sorry, not in the category many BNers praise. But these the first two are to be worn with a tailored suit and tailored shirt with a monogram and silver cufflinks. Did it and I have been asked what I was wearing. Response: "I never thought local classics could be so good.".

The other two in informal occasionsd during Winter.

Besides, lately I have been despising massive and niche high-end brands, although Zara falls in the category.

A couple of fragrances that I truly didn't expect much from, but I like each time I sample them. I'll be getting full bottles of them....eventually.

A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue (Anyone know an online place that sells A Lab on Fire products at a discount?)

Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine (Just missed out on a 20% discount on this at Beautyhabit.com!...)
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

All 3 were cheapies (surprise surprise) Brut Dominant, Everlast and Jeanne Arthes Supercharged

Basenotes Plus

I got many but here are 3 unexpected LOVES -

Gengis Khan
    Fougere Royale
    The Different Company's "South Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    J'S Exte Man

I read it was a good cheapie and smelled something like DHI without the lipstick note and some even compared it to Tobacco Vanille if I am not mistaken. I didn't expect much of it but gave it a go. I bought a 25ml bottle for only 7 and I must say it is an excellent fragrance that smells very good and lasts all day! It smells to me like a seductive (more masculine than DHI) patchouli-vanille combo and its quality to price value is excellent! I understand why people compare it to DHI, though DHI is of course superior but also way more expensive.

It is a perfect fragrance for people who don't want to spend too much money on DHI and want something 'similar' and more masculine.
    Agree, this one was an amazing find for me. To my nose this comes very close to Eau Noire from Dior, rather than Dior Homme. On the german version of the Parfumo website, (parfumo.de) many critics also compare it to Eau Noire.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Carven Homme
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

YSL (vintage) Rive Gauche, the one in the tin can.

Light years from the current.... stuff.... to be found in the current glass-bottle version (I'm really hesitating to say 'version' as it really smells like a different fragrance altogether).

Love this stuff. Have since acquired three bottles of the stuff. I love it any time of year - cool or warm weather - and it is especially good after a shower or before bed. The wife really likes the scent - one where the scent really is captivating and yet not an 'out of your league' priced scent.

I believed the hype and I wasn't wrong. Damn you YSL for messing about with this one so much!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

If by true essence of the word discovery, then vintage Creed Royal Delight.
    Discovered it at a little perfume shop the middle a massive bazaar.

Another was Scherrer - beautiful hyacinth & oak moss.

From a notes perspective, I've grown fond of labdanum.
    for swap/sale:

Lanvin Avant Garde
    AbercrombieHot Cologne

Both are cheapies (around $25 ea), but surprisingly good. Abercrombiehot (what a lame name) is basically the same as their now discontinued Cologne 41. Always liked that stuff for some reason and it is not abused like Fierce, which is definitely another plus.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    YSL (vintage) Rive Gauche, the one in the tin can.

Light years from the current.... stuff.... to be found in the current glass-bottle version (I'm really hesitating to say 'version' as it really smells like a different fragrance altogether).

Love this stuff. Have since acquired three bottles of the stuff. I love it any time of year - cool or warm weather - and it is especially good after a shower or before bed. The wife really likes the scent - one where the scent really is captivating and yet not an 'out of your league' priced scent.

I believed the hype and I wasn't wrong. Damn you YSL for messing about with this one so much!
    With you here. The new one smells of aspirins. Old one is fabulous.
    Currently wearing: Gilda by Pierre Wulff

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    With you here. The new one smells of aspirins. Old one is fabulous.
    Wouldn't quite say aspirin but it did give both my wife and myself a headache when I sprayed it on in a duty free shop recently...
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    vintage Creed Royal Delight.
    Indeed an excellent, not much talked about Creed...So are a few other vintage Creed's, compared to the much talked abt GIT / MI / Aventus, the older discontinued Creed's can be called masterpieces (vtg Tabarome, Angelique Encens etc)...
    Currently wearing: Vtiver by Christian Dior

Probably Azzaro Pour Homme. Had smelled it in the past but never owned/wore it. Picked it up at a discount store (Marshall's I believe) and really started enjoying it once I got past the disappointing longevity of the recent release.

I thought that the whole CdG Nr. 3 Incense series would be too hard to wear.. until i tried Zagorsk. It was love at the first sniff.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 6:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

Mscara Almizclado

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I thought that the whole CdG Nr. 3 Incense series would be too hard to wear...
    Speaking of CdG, I just whiffed Black for the first time.

Considering the mixed reviews & that I usually find their fragrances too conceptual and/or fleeting in longevity, pleasantly surprised is a good description. This one stood out of the pack "in wow factor" among dark leathers recently sampled such as Bandit & Cuir Mauresque, for example. The tar note reminiscent of A*Men & the CdG signature woody incense accord were identifiable (like), and it presented a composed development in defined stages (love).

I look forward to sampling the performance of this one further, as a possibility for next winter's rotation.

Tauer - LDDM. I knew I would like it from the notes and reviews. What I didn't know is that I would absolutely LOVE it. At first sniff.

passion bois by frapin was my most pleasant unexpected discovery because i hated almost everything else from there. it has the cleanest oakmoss note out there
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I usually don't really like fresh fragrances, but i ended up loving Versace Pour Homme, i'm really suprised at how much I like it, it has this salty, floral drydown which i find wonderfully done

Basenotes Member

Costume National 21.

Blog Entries

Not a fan of Dior, but their latest release, Dior Homme Eau for Men, was a pleasant surprise to me when I sampled it. The iris and citrus work well together. Overall, it smelled good. It actually reminded me of Play Intense. Finally, a Dior I actually liked without trying hard.