Code of Conduct

Default Andrea Maack's creations.

"The more I test the Andrea Maack's creations the more I genuinely appreciate this wonderful brand with its conceptual, minimalist, aldehydic, assertive, translucent, suspended in time, "muffled" and almost "hyperbaric" experiments (based over the scheme of the opposites juxtapositions)" -- a part of my Silk's review. This is what I think about the Andrea Maack's olfactory project. Have you ever tried any Andrea Maack's perfume?

Default Re: Andrea Maack's creations.

Not yet - but after that reading that post they will be on the list

Thank you for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Not yet - but after that reading that post they will be on the list

Thank you for posting!
    Thank you so much dear :-)

Coven sounds like an interesting one to me. I'll be sure to pick up a sample next time I order for LuckyScent and share my thoughts here.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:46 PM.

I've to say that a rapid test of their former range didn't impress me in the first place. I quite liked Coal and now I'm seriously thinking to explore the rest of the range more in depth…thanks for reminding me, Darvant.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

How many scents does she have?

Where in the US does she sell them?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I've to say that a rapid test of their former range didn't impress me in the first place. I quite liked Coal and now I'm seriously thinking to explore the rest of the range more in depth…thanks for reminding me, Darvant.
    Knowing your taste I'm sure a deeper test could allow you to discover several facets you are used to appreciate in perfumery.

7 scents available at Luckyscent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

I think that she has about six Mike, Coal, Craft, Dark, Silk, Sharp and Smart. (There may be others). She's based in Reykjavík in Iceland. I really like the aesthetic. They are not that easliy available though, but I do have a sample of Craft which I am really looking forward to.

Roullier White in the UK stock them. I don't know where they might be available in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Coven sounds like an interesting one to me. I'll be sure to pick up a sample next time I order for LuckyScent and share my thoughts here.
    My thoughts exactly. I've been eyeing this one, and can't wait to grab a sample.

If you do before me, please do share your thoughts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I've been eyeing this one, and can't wait to grab a sample.

If you do before me, please do share your thoughts!!!
    You got it, brother. Now I just need an excuse to place an order at luckyscent ... ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Knowing your taste I'm sure a deeper test could allow you to discover several facets you are used to appreciate in perfumery.
    I will definitely give them more attention also because their new Coven sounds pretty interesting…again, thanks.

I was a bit let down by Coal myself, but some of the others do indeed sound interesting. Hope to sniff them out sometime soon.

I actually own Craft, which I bought cheaply in Les Senteurs' sale last year. It was a blind buy but I like the cold incense vibe. The one I really wanted was Silk as it sounded more like me, but none left to go into the sale.
    DONNA

Sorry, I missed Coven..... I'm really looking forward to that.

So guys. Here are some kind of thoughts and impressions about Craft. I'm lucky to have received a sample from a friend. *wink*.

Bear with me on this one. I'm finding it really difficult to describe this, and honestly I am finding that it is all approximations and comparisons that are coming to mind.

Straight off I was reminded of another minimilist fragrance that I have, Esvedra by Laboratorio Olfattivo. I'm not saying that they smell the same as such but they do have similarities. The mental/olfactory association is very strong for me and I couldn't get Esvedra out of my mind while I was wearing Craft. They have the same pale, cool tonality. They are both contemporary and synthetic smelling and I'm sure that they do share some notes. I know that's not helpful if you don't know Esvedra but if you do I'd be interested to hear what you think about that.

Here are the listed "notes" for Craft;
    Aldehydes, elemi, cold metal, ice, cedar wood, patchouli.

Now here I have to be honest. I find this fragrance really difficult to describe, even in the context of the listed notes. What I actually get are impressions, and suggestions of notes similar to violet leaf, woody irisy notes, iso e super, and in the end a light peppery frankincense (and not patchouli) and perhaps even ambrette seed musk, (there is something in the drydown of Craft which reminds me of the drydown of Heeley's Iris de Niuit).

Perhaps the notes as such don't matter. I don't think that they do really. They are suggestive. The most important thing about this fragrance is it's style, and I think that is what you will like, or you won't like. It's a calm fragrance, minimalist, quite ethereal, a bit industrial. It is cool to begin with then warm. I can see why our friend Darvant finds it contemplative.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I actually own Craft, which I bought cheaply in Les Senteurs' sale last year. It was a blind buy but I like the cold incense vibe. The one I really wanted was Silk as it sounded more like me, but none left to go into the sale.
    Yes Donna puts it well, "a cold incense vibe". Do try it guys.

Basenotes Institution

Wow, Craft sounds great.

Are the aldehydes very prominent?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Wow, Craft sounds great.

Are the aldehydes very prominent?
    The aldehydes are the Andrea Maack's trademark, well calibrated but even present, like an ideal Maack's Guerlinade.

Ordered the most recent Lucky Scent sampler pack, and of the 17 fragrances included I'm afraid that Andrea Maack's Coven was far and away my least favorite of the bunch. To my nose, there's a very prominent tarragon note that I simply can't handle.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    To my nose, there's a very prominent tarragon note that I simply can't handle.
    Gah! Culinary spices can be a killer for me, and tarragon's up there.

Sound Scents

I had high expectations for Coal, but in the end it disappointed. I haven't tried any others probably as the disappointment is still fresh in my mind... Once it fades I will give others a shot.
    Last edited by drseid; 8th April 2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I gave ALL of them a second chance in the past few days and I've to say I still (sort of) like Coal of which I completely adore the opening but still find if a tad disappointing during the synth-woody drydown. I won't give up with this because it has really good potential from my point of view. Craft was a suprising re-discovery. A lot of people say it smells like Cardinal and for several aspects I completely agree but, to be 100% honest, it actually smells like the *candle* version of Cardinal. The aldehydes are enhanced in their waxy facet to the maximum and the result is an hyper-clean and sparkling incense with a cold / metallic facet that will make the joy of any CDG's freak. ME LIKE!

Coven is totally an odd-ball. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because it is indeed so weird. The opening is pure madness and possibly the earthiest fragrance I've ever smelt. It is *SO* naturally and *SO* extremely earthy to bring to mind wet vegetables just picked up from the ground. During the opening and the middle phase, the fragrance feels incredibly novel (but not necessarily in a good way) so that, in the end, before coming with a final verdict, I want to give it more chances. The drydown feels somewhat more familiar but still pretty *avant* and *bizarre*. An intriguing fragrance that deserves some attention.

The rest of the line (Sharp, Dark, Smart) ranged from horrid to dreadful…at least to my tastes. Silk was not in stock….

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I gave ALL of them a second chance in the past few days and I've to say I still (sort of) like Coal of which I completely adore the opening but still find if a tad disappointing during the synth-woody drydown. I won't give up with this because it has really good potential from my point of view. Craft was a suprising re-discovery. A lot of people say it smells like Cardinal and for several aspects I completely agree but, to be 100% honest, it actually smells like the *candle* version of Cardinal. The aldehydes are enhanced in their waxy facet to the maximum and the result is an hyper-clean and sparkling incense with a cold / metallic facet that will make the joy of any CDG's freak. ME LIKE!

Coven is totally an odd-ball. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because it is indeed so weird. The opening is pure madness and possibly the earthiest fragrance I've ever smelt. It is *SO* naturally and *SO* extremely earthy to bring to mind wet vegetables just picked up from the ground. During the opening and the middle phase, the fragrance feels incredibly novel (but not necessarily in a good way) so that, in the end, before coming with a final verdict, I want to give it more chances. The drydown feels somewhat more familiar but still pretty *avant* and *bizarre*. An intriguing fragrance that deserves some attention.

The rest of the line (Sharp, Dark, Smart) ranged from horrid to dreadful…at least to my tastes. Silk was not in stock….
    I have the Smart sample but didn't test it yet, don't you like Dark? I find it so saturnine and melancholic, so ambiental, frankly I really like it. Sharp is an hard juice to be approached, an original experiment combining in a weird performance really opposite olfactory feels, I tend to praise these type of excursions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    I have the Smart sample but didn't test it yet, don't you like Dark? I find it so saturnine and melancholic, so ambiental, frankly I really like it. Sharp is an hard juice to be approached, an original experiment combining in a weird performance really opposite olfactory feels, I tend to praise these type of excursions.
    Both Dark and Smart felt way too sweet to my tastes. You know I too am a total freak for odd-balls and avant stuff but some of them simply didn't match my tastes beside the overall artsy / experimental approach. Anyway, I'm glad I re-discovered Craft. Thanks for this thread, Darvant.

I'm wearing Coven today thanks to a fellow Illinoisan Basenoter that was generous enough to give me his sample. I have to say that it is one of the oddest fragrances I've tried to date and by far the earthiest. Honestly, I'm picturing dead leaves that are decomposing and becoming part of the Earth in the form of soil with grass coming up from underneath. This is a very Earthy, green and soil-esque scent. I don't think it's a bad fragrance, just not something I would wear. I too find this similar to something I've smelled before, I just can't put my finger on it.

Last edited by rynegne; 7th April 2014 at 09:33 PM.

I'm wearing Coven today thanks to a fellow Illinoisan Basenoter that was generous enough to give me his sample. I have to say that it is one of the oddest fragrances I've tried to date and by far the earthiest. Honestly, I'm picturing dead leaves that are decomposing and becoming part of the Earth in the form of soil with grass coming up from underneath. This is a very Earthy, green and soil-esque scent. I don't think it's a bad fragrance, just not something I would wear. I too find this similar to something I've smelled before, I just can't put my finger on it.
    I just sampled this a few days ago as well, finally. And I must say that my impressions are very similar to yours. I found it extremely odd at first ... and I'm somebody that tends to like odd smells. My initial impression is that I didn't much care for it, even though I really wanted to. I tried it again the next day, and it was much the same. Very earthy and woody, is my overall impression, but not in all that appealing of a way. Not something I would be very inclined to wear. Disappointing, after the interesting description of it.