Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 161
  1. #1

    Default Two New Amouages Coming - Journey.

    I was just at Osswald Parfumerie this Friday and I heard first hand there will be two new Amouage scents released (that are not part of the Opus series) in less than two months. No official names but can't wait!

  2. #2
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,791

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    How much you guys wanna bet they will be way overpriced like Beloved Man and Fate Man were?

    I'm looking forward to them as I love the line, but not at that price point.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    $380 a bottle is expensive, I agree, but still in the affordable range, especially for a split. They are pretty superior scents. I think Clive Christian, Xerjoff, JAR, Puredistance, and Roja are a little ridiculous at $600-$1000 a bottle.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I'm excited! 2 new scents like 1 men's and 1 woman's, or a men's and women's of each making 4 new scents?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Yeah, tell me about it! I almost fell on the floor when the SA told me. For anyone going into NYC, Osswald and MiN are the bees knees. The people who work there are so knowledgeable and true scent-alcoholics, not standoffish types who only know about their specific lines and nothing else...ahem Barneys and Bergdorf. Anyway, she told me this as they were closing and we were on our way out, but she had a smile on her face and was very tight lipped. I think even if I would've had more time, she wouldn't have been able to divulge any more info, but I do know they get hooked-up in there. They are really close to the brands they carry. My first impression was one man and one woman's scent. I would bet on that....I mean I'll have to check but I don't remember Chong releasing more than one scent at a time (other than man and woman). You never know though.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Good news. Thanks for the info.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,973

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I'm excited! 2 new scents like 1 men's and 1 woman's, or a men's and women's of each making 4 new scents?
    One Men's and Women's. I am being told the name will be Journey.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    One Men's and Women's. I am being told the name will be Journey.
    Nice work PB, way to get the info I'm impressed....Hopefully my post inspired you to get to the bottom of it!

  9. #9
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,973

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    Nice work PB, way to get the info I'm impressed....Hopefully my post inspired you to get to the bottom of it!
    Unfortunately, in the usual Amouage fashion, not much information is available. Probably hear more next month.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Just curious, how did you find out it was going to be called Journey? Did you talk to someone at Amouage or an SA? Thanks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I'm kind of hoping they throw us a curveball this time. While I really enjoyed Fate Man, I found it to be a tad prosaic and "easy." Fate Woman, despite garnering interest from folks I pay attention to, did absolutely nothing for me. I'd love to see a scent that's as evocative and striking as Memoir Man.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I remember seeing a post on Twitter several months ago with an article where Christopher Chong was talking about drawing on his Chinese Heritage. The notes he mentioned were white florals, vanilla, leather, and Osmanthus.

    I found the link but it's a picture of the magazine so it's very hard to read but I did pick out those notes. It's posting from January 29th.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

  13. #13

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    This is exciting news, despite me finding every amouage release after memoir being disappointing...I havent given any of them a proper wearing but their prior releases woild catch my attention immediately.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Personally, I would have preferred Amouage taking a year off from releasing anything new.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Personally, I would have preferred Amouage taking a year off from releasing anything new.
    Why? I suppose if you're not happy with Amouage you could take a year off from them and allow the thousands of others who look forward to their releases to have fun with them.
    Last edited by Indagnacious; 26th March 2014 at 12:24 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I have not really liked the latest releases after Memoir Man. Interlude, Beloved and Fate have not impressed me but hope does spring eternal in that they will release a stunner that is more to my taste.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    Why? I suppose if you're not happy with Amouage you could take a year off from them and allow the thousands of others who look forward to their releases have fun with them.
    There are some who feel that the quality has dipped after the Memoir duo.

    Most houses are now releasing fragrances at a frightening rate when, in the past, more time was allowed to develop a composition. This isn't necessarily about what I want but a personal concern that Amouage (and many other houses) are quickly developing spotty portfolios, just because they feel compelled to keep up with the Joneses.

    It should always be about quality over quantity - not the other way round.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    Why? I suppose if you're not happy with Amouage you could take a year off from them and allow the thousands of others who look forward to their releases have fun with them.
    Well if you haven't noticed, several people here are pointing the quality drop since memoir, and this is a fragrance forum where educated consumers gather to exchange opinions. If we are going have the mentality of "if you don't like it then don't use it, and keep your opinion to yourself" then this board would be a pointless exercise.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I don't know. I don't think you can put a timeline on creativity and Chong doesn't seem like the type to release something just to release it. Maybe the compositions aren't the way some would like, but the raw materials are there. Interlude Man is amazing, Fate Woman is a five star fragrance (Turin - Style Arabia). Not that LT is the end all be all, but he's been around. One Opus and one or two Man/Woman scents a year doesn't seem excessive to me. Tom Ford, Kilian, Montale, etc... yes that is excessive. I believe living up to an incredible past is a good problem to have.

  20. #20
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    81,216

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    One Men's and Women's. I am being told the name will be Journey.
    Thanks for the info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Well if you haven't noticed, several people here are pointing the quality drop since memoir, and this is a fragrance forum where educated consumers gather to exchange opinions. If we are going have the mentality of "if you don't like it then don't use it, and keep your opinion to yourself" then this board would be a pointless exercise.
    Well why would you ever want to use something you didn't like? Telling a creative perfume director or perfumer to stop putting out releases because you don't like them not only seems like a backwards way of going about it, but it's pretty pretentious. I never said for him to keep his opinions to himself, I just said he shouldn't pay attention to them if he isn't into them. So what's up with that?

  22. #22
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Cool. I'll most likely pick up some samples if available.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    We're all allowed to have our opinions. I am another who has not found the newer releases as compelling as some of the older ones, and it's a frequent topic of discussion here and elsewhere that it's quite possible for any creative to become stretched when expected to have a certain volume of output, because the industry's pace has increased, whether the industry in question is perfume, fashion or music... or countless others.

    For any of us to wish Chong would take more time for development and creative R&R is not an attack on the man, the house, or anyone, really. It's a wish for continued high quality creations... even if they are not as frequent.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    Well why would you ever want to use something you didn't like? Telling a creative perfume director or perfumer to stop putting out releases because you don't like them not only seems like a backwards way of going about it, but it's pretty pretentious. I never said for him to keep his opinions to himself, I just said he shouldn't pay attention to them if he isn't into them. So what's up with that?
    I didn't say I would wear them if I didn't like them or something, nor did the posters who criticized the last releases before me. Also, telling a director or perfumers to reconsider his latest releases is very valid feedback if put elaborately; constructive criticism is in no way pretentious or a step backward.

    Also, we who don't like amouage latest releases but pay attention to them do so because we are fans of the house.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    "How time flies. It seems only yesterday (actually five full years) that Christopher Chong took over Amouage’s art direction and propelled this Omani firm, then known chiefly for its classic no-expense-spared Gold, into the first rank of perfumery. Chong is that rare bird, a natural perfumery art-director, who knows what he wants and will not give up until he finally smells it." Turin

    This does not seem like a man who is churning and burning outputs just to do it regardless of what the "Basenotes masses" thinks or believes. Chong knows more about creating perfumes than anyone on this board times ten. I have to question someone who tells someone with more knowledge and expertise who is putting out some of the best perfumes like Interlude Man and Fate Woman to do anything whatsoever. I did not say anywhere to anyone that they could not have their opinions. Now are you going to try to put words in my mouth again that weren't there to begin with Evoke or what? This is where problems occur.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    "How time flies. It seems only yesterday (actually five full years) that Christopher Chong took over Amouage’s art direction and propelled this Omani firm, then known chiefly for its classic no-expense-spared Gold, into the first rank of perfumery. Chong is that rare bird, a natural perfumery art-director, who knows what he wants and will not give up until he finally smells it." Turin

    This does not seem like a man who is churning and burning outputs just to do it regardless of what the "Basenotes masses" thinks or believes. Chong knows more about creating perfumes than anyone on this board times ten. I have to question someone who tells someone with more knowledge and expertise who is putting out some of the best perfumes like Interlude Man and Fate Woman to do anything whatsoever. I did not say anywhere to anyone that they could not have their opinions. Now are you going to try to put words in my mouth again that weren't there to begin with Evoke or what? This is where problems occur.
    Who cares what Turin says! That's his opinion. Nothing he says is canon, like any other fragrance writer or reviewer.

    If you don't like other Basenoters having opinions about fragrances, as well as how houses and perfumers operate within the perfume industry, maybe you shouldn't be here.

    "I have to question someone who tells someone with more knowledge and expertise..."

    Everyone, we've been rumbled! Time to close shop! The Basenotes forum is no more!

    *sheds tears*
    Last edited by Trebor; 25th March 2014 at 11:46 PM.

  27. #27
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,929

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Fate Woman and Interlude Man are excellent. Memoir Man, too. It's true that people are making a hell of a lot more of them than they need to, but I'm always looking forward to Amouage fragrances that aren't part of the Opus line (which, while still good, mainly feel like interesting rejects with simple or confused compositions).

    Edit: Good as they are, none of them really compare with a great oriental like Balenciaga pour Homme. Fate Woman is no Opium but it is great on the right day. Gold Woman and Gold Man are still the the best things to ever come from this house. Rethinking it tonight my favorite modern Amouage must be Memoir Man, and Memoir Man sure as hell isn't a Balenciaga pour Homme. Not too far away, though, especially considering it was made during the time of IFRA regulations. What a load of crap that all is. None of the idiots on this will ever write the perfume houses, aromachemical companies. They just want to know if the thing is masculine enough to wear, gets compliments, and the girls like it ! Really have to wonder about most men.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th March 2014 at 10:12 AM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Fate Woman and Interlude Man are excellent. Memoir Man, too. It's true that people are making a hell of a lot more than they need to, but I'm always looking forward to Amouage fragrances that aren't part of the Opus line.
    Ahhh, a man who is making some sense. Bless you pluran.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    "How time flies. It seems only yesterday (actually five full years) that Christopher Chong took over Amouage’s art direction and propelled this Omani firm, then known chiefly for its classic no-expense-spared Gold, into the first rank of perfumery. Chong is that rare bird, a natural perfumery art-director, who knows what he wants and will not give up until he finally smells it." Turin

    This does not seem like a man who is churning and burning outputs just to do it regardless of what the "Basenotes masses" thinks or believes. Chong knows more about creating perfumes than anyone on this board times ten. I have to question someone who tells someone with more knowledge and expertise who is putting out some of the best perfumes like Interlude Man and Fate Woman to do anything whatsoever. I did not say anywhere to anyone that they could not have their opinions. Now are you going to try to put words in my mouth again that weren't there to begin with Evoke or what? This is where problems occur.
    Nobody is putting words in your mouth, your attitude is that of not accepting negative feedback and discouraging such posters from posting on your thread. I love your condescending "basenotes masses" expression; anymore cliche expression you want to use to undermine the opinions of those who disagree with you?

    And nobody is telling Chong what to do, it is a metaphorical expression of disappointment. You do not even know the knowledge and expertise of anyone on basenotes, nor do you know the extent of Chong's perfume expertise and that's a discussion of its' own. Nobody her claimed to have more expertise than Chong. At the end of the day, perfumes are about tastes, and while some tastes are more elaborate than others, it's still subjective. A lot of very knowledgeable people on these boards do not like the direction amouage has taken and they are voicing it. This is what these boards are for, and it's ridiculous to remind someone who has negative feedback that in theory they have less expertise than a perfumer or director thus they should not be making hypothetical suggestions.

    Also, while I find Turin to be a very entertaining writer and quit a knowledgable person, he is far from the best reviewer and his book is full of bias...So stop quoting his blog or book like its' some kind of scripture.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    You're hilarious bro. I'm not even sure what you said but it's good. Did you know a metaphor is a term that uses the words like or as in a sentence? In the original statement by Trebor: "Personally, I would have preferred Amouage taking a year off from releasing anything new."
    ...where do you find this? This is not a metaphor. Maybe what you're trying unsuccessfully to do is back track and say he was just using this as a figure of speech? Also while we're at it, a "hypothetical suggestion" would go something like: "suppose Amouage would stop putting out a fragrance for a year, I wonder what would happen?" No one is using hypotheticals. The only person that really seems to be confused as to what is going on is you. Not only are you haphazardly throwing out terms to which you don't understand, but you make false claims about what others have said. Nowhere on here did I ever tell anyone they could not express their opinion. I challenged them to back up their statement but I didn't say they couldn't have one. Finally, when one of the most consummate online retailers in their own write-up uses a quote from Turin to sell their products: http://www.luckyscent.com/product/41...man-by-amouage, I hardly believe it is just me who values his opinion. Maybe you should write to them and tell them to stop using his quotes as well?

  31. #31

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Out of all these recent posts, there's seems to be a general consensus that people here care about what Amouage is doing—be it their recent releases or things they've put out in the past. Whereas it might be said that their older scents were mold-breakers, their newer scents have a whole different kind of appeal for a different audience. Then there are those of us who kind of dig both!

    For me, Memoir Man is the best thing they've done, but I really kind of dug Fate Man but for different reasons. My point is, that even those who have been disappointed in the direction they've gone don't seem to have written them off and are still anticipating the line's next move. It's a good sized line-up, so there's no way everyone's going to like every single release. With that said, why don't we get back to the topic at hand—two new Amouage scents on the way.

    P.S. Did anyone try Opus VIII yet? I'm hearing mixed reviews, but the bad reviews that I'm hearing actually make it sounds quite good. Anyone get their noses on it?

  32. #32

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    You're hilarious bro. I'm not even sure what you said but it's good. Did you know a metaphor is a term that uses the words like or as in a sentence? In the original statement by Trebor: "Personally, I would have preferred Amouage taking a year off from releasing anything new."
    ...where do you find this? This is not a metaphor. Maybe what you're trying unsuccessfully to do is back track and say he was just using this as a figure of speech? Also while we're at it, a "hypothetical suggestion" would go something like: "suppose Amouage would stop putting out a fragrance for a year, I wonder what would happen?" No one is using hypotheticals. The only person that really seems to be confused as to what is going on is you. Not only are you haphazardly throwing out terms to which you don't understand, but you make false claims about what others have said. Nowhere on here did I ever tell anyone they could not express their opinion. I challenged them to back up their statement but I didn't say they couldn't have one. Finally, when one of the most consummate online retailers in their own write-up uses a quote from Turin to sell their products: http://www.luckyscent.com/product/41...man-by-amouage, I hardly believe it is just me who values his opinion. Maybe you should write to them and tell them to stop using his quotes as well?
    Oh my apologies for my misuse of English vocabulary and expressions..

    I am not throwing false claims around, I was speaking of your tune and how you addressed many replies in this thread. And I explained why, even though you did not say those things directly, that meaning could be inferred from your attitude. Now I do not remember what fate woman smells like, and even if it was fantastic, 1 out of 8 releases after memoir. But congratulations on showing me that retailers exploit the fame of some people to sell a product? Where did I claim that there are no people who value Turin's opinion? It is simply not mine, and not that of many here. And he is indeed a biased, not so great, reviewer as I mentioned before. I could give you examples from his book that show "bad reviewing" and why I don't hold his opinion that highly, but you are probably more familiar with it than I am anyway. My point simply was that you had no basis to quote him like his reviews are some universal truth; you did not know whether we care or not about his opinion.

    Listen, I have not been around these boards for a long time and have had no interests into going through such arguments. But if you have not noticed how you discouraged everybody who is not a fan of amouage later releases, and also Luca Turin, from participating in your thread. Sure none of us has mentioned elaborately why we think those releases are inferior. But you left no space for such discussion because you immediately went off with the presumption that we are wrong for thinking so because Turin and Chong have more "expertise" than us so our "opinion" is worthless. Now you can go on with your condescending better-than-thou attitude, I am done with you and your thread.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Out of all these recent posts, there's seems to be a general consensus that people here care about what Amouage is doing—be it their recent releases or things they've put out in the past. Whereas it might be said that their older scents were mold-breakers, their newer scents have a whole different kind of appeal for a different audience. Then there are those of us who kind of dig both!

    For me, Memoir Man is the best thing they've done, but I really kind of dug Fate Man but for different reasons. My point is, that even those who have been disappointed in the direction they've gone don't seem to have written them off and are still anticipating the line's next move. It's a good sized line-up, so there's no way everyone's going to like every single release. With that said, why don't we get back to the topic at hand—two new Amouage scents on the way.

    P.S. Did anyone try Opus VIII yet? I'm hearing mixed reviews, but the bad reviews that I'm hearing actually make it sounds quite good. Anyone get their noses on it?
    You are a true voice of reason deadidol. I thought the thread I started was pretty relevant and informative. It's just hard to resist some good banter though every now and again
    Fate Man and Memoir Man are both pretty amazing scents in my opinion as well. I love both old and new and some of the backlash really surprises me. I did not try it but the SA at Osswald said Opus VIII is really a departure from the rest of the releases in that particular line, almost out of left field, but a welcomed one in that it finally gives some relief from the heaviness of the other offerings.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    I love both old and new and some of the backlash really surprises me.
    Interlude Man gets quite a bit of grief and I'm sort of torn on it myself. I own a bottle and really enjoy it (one of the most comforting scents in my collection), but it seems to lack other kinds of coherence that we might expect from such a high-quality line; it really does throw everything at you; it doesn't tell much of a story; and the ridiculous volume is perhaps a bit inarticulate. But on an emotional level, I love it! A friend of mine described it as being smothered by a colorful pillow!

    P.S. Pro-Tip—Sonoma Scent Studio's Winter Woods has an almost identical dry-down, but isn't quite as shouty and that strange oregano that haunts the opening is stripped away. It's a nice alternative for those who perhaps find Interlude Man a bit confused and psychotic.

    Anyhow, back to the new stuff! Anyone want to speculate on what the line needs? Any guesses as to what we might expect?

  35. #35

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Oh my, Interlude Man is glorious in all it's crazy incoherence! It's right up there with Portrait of a Lady for me, not because PoaL is incoherent, but just because of the raw emotion each evoke inside of me. I can't get enough of those two. It's like doing a shot instead of drinking a glass of beer or wine and letting the rush go straight from the head to the bottom of the spine.
    I'll keep an eye out for Winter Woods but the oregano strangeness is totally up my alley. So unique. I've made peace with all my psychotic transgressions so I'm right at home with this one. It's funny that your friend said "being smothered by a pillow" because I experience an almost marshmallow effect for the first two minutes. I always feel like I'm hallucinating when that moment arrives and I wonder to myself if it's just me who gets that? I think the pillow analogy could be saying the same thing.
    If the name Journey Man and Journey Woman is correct as PalmBeach stated, I do believe it will move more in the direction of his Chinese heritage as someone else mentioned. And that would fall in line with Opus VIII. I could see more of a floral tone, something maybe even Zen-like. Now that would be a departure and a Journey. Really excited!

  36. #36

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Always glad to hear about a new one from Amouage - or two . . . and I still haven't tried Opus VIII!

    I have found the 'quality' of recent releases to be very high - but that's such a subjective word isn't it? I quantify quality as originality first and foremost, whether it's a novel accord or a really left of field riff on a more recognisable structure or style, and I can't fault any of the last lot of releases using those criteria - I don't personally LIKE all of them but I love a couple and can see the creativity that has gone into others.

    I think the release schedule for Amouage is okay . . . they seem to just show up when they're ready, which is fine by me.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 27th March 2014 at 03:13 PM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

  37. #37

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    If they list of notes is confirmed, i'm very interested on this one.
    And i have to disagree about Memoir duo being the last best one they have done. Honestly, never understood why so much love on this one. At first i hated the man's one, today i like but only find it okay. I still bothers me that there is something on it that smells like those scented tablets you put inside the car to perfume it. It's good, but i'd never rank it as a masterpiece or one of the best Amouage (to me i'd be on the middle or the bottom of my list, only Gold, Reflection and Honour comes after it as the ones that i like the least).

  38. #38

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Interlude Man gets quite a bit of grief and I'm sort of torn on it myself. I own a bottle and really enjoy it (one of the most comforting scents in my collection), but it seems to lack other kinds of coherence that we might expect from such a high-quality line; it really does throw everything at you; it doesn't tell much of a story; and the ridiculous volume is perhaps a bit inarticulate. But on an emotional level, I love it! A friend of mine described it as being smothered by a colorful pillow!

    P.S. Pro-Tip—Sonoma Scent Studio's Winter Woods has an almost identical dry-down, but isn't quite as shouty and that strange oregano that haunts the opening is stripped away. It's a nice alternative for those who perhaps find Interlude Man a bit confused and psychotic.

    Anyhow, back to the new stuff! Anyone want to speculate on what the line needs? Any guesses as to what we might expect?
    But i guess that this was the purpose, since it is inspired in chaos. I find Interlude, both masculine and feminine, to be brilliant and one that seems very connected with the theme they wanted. Altough it does seems to throw all the once on you when you get used to it you see that it has an harmony between the milky, sweet side and the more leathery, oud one. It really makes me think on Chaos theory and on M.c.Escher's work.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Another thing that i disagree from what was mentioned before is that Amouage quality has dropped. No, it hasn't, because if you think, they are one of the houses that really has consistency on their products: their package is truly luxurious, the bottles are very pretty and solid, the caps are not simple. The scents are complex and even the less challenging ones has a good sillage and longevity on skin. What i think that is intended is that Amouage had a drop on creativity maybe, and i don't know if i agree with that either since you had Interlude on 2012, which dares to be chaotic and still be very good. I suspect that what also give this impression of drop on creativity is the Opus line, but then, since it was from the beginning concepted to be a kind of homage line i guess you cannot expect much novelty on it and they have loaded plenty of fragrances on this Opus line, which "may" tire their image. I'd say that after Jubilation Amouage has repositioned it self, they are in that field which is borderline between niche and expensive selective luxe, and since then they have been, as i said before, very consistent on that. I just don't find fair to use one of their safest masculines, Memoir, as an example of drop in quality.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I agree with you rickbr. It's ok if people aren't thrilled with some of the releases. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time, or so the saying goes. But I do not feel the quality of materials has diminished. I love what they are doing personally. But to say they should limit the creative process or that their standards have dropped (as from some other members), I don't know. I have to disagree and challenge that even though I understand they are just opinions.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Indagnacious, i guess that they didn't mean to limit the creative process, just the flow of launches, maybe work more on the concepts and play outside the usual woody structure. But i think that it might not be question of time development, but favoring more what might see to have best selling possibilities (well, it's my suspect only).

  42. #42

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    If they start basing their creations on what might sell, then I think we're all in trouble. One obviously can't ignore the financial aspect, but as an artist I'd like to think Chong gets an idea, concept, theme, or vision for a scent and then just does everything he can do to make it the best fragrance possible, regardless of the number of releases. If it sells and people love it, great. If not, at least he knows he did something he loves and to hell with everyone else. It baffles me how putting limits on releasing fragrances would suddenly be the magic formula for a successful perfume. If people are jaded, it's because there are a lot of releases in general and they are overwhelmed. I completely understand more is not more in this case. Sometimes less is more, but I do not think anything is being sacrificed with Amouage. Myself and others can agree to disagree on this one.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Doesn't Opus VIII contain calone? That is scraping the barrel.

    I can't forget testing Beloved Man -- thought I was in a mall

    Hope they nail some soon

  44. #44

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    If they start basing their creations on what might sell, then I think we're all in trouble. One obviously can't ignore the financial aspect, but as an artist I'd like to think Chong gets an idea, concept, theme, or vision for a scent and then just does everything he can do to make it the best fragrance possible, regardless of the number of releases.
    I think this is actually part of the equation though. Chong has done a truly admirable job of walking what is ultimately a fine line between creativity and commercial viability. Amouage is an Arabic company that has recognized the potential for westernization—notably so within recent years. Fate Man, for example, takes notes (immortelle and cumin) that are deployed with gusto in more traditional usage (but also in other scents as well), and flattens them to almost pedestrian levels for a new audience. When I first tried Fate Man last year, this was striking to me as the notes were so dialed in and safely played that I began to suspect that something was up and that certain decisions were being made to appeal to non-Arabic audiences (a business move). Furthermore, a number of their fragrances were never made accessible in the West. Scents like Molook, Asrar, Amber, Afrah etc. never saw distribution, and instead we got mundane crowd-pleasers like Jubilation and whatnot. I don't begrudge the company for doing this in any way—and frankly I think they do it brilliantly—but it does infer that certain sacrifices are being made in appealing to Western tastes by moving away from their Arabic routes. Perhaps some of my arabic friends on here could correct me on this (paging Hedonist), but something like Interlude Man—a sweet, sugary kind of scent—seems to bear no relation at all to the company's original aesthetic. This could simply be an attempt to develop a more international flavor, but it could also be read (and seems to be by the detractors of the company's direction), a financial decision. Again, not knocking what they're doing, just noting that there's a possibility here that the perceived decline has stemmed from a totally understandable need to compete in an international market.
    Last edited by deadidol; 26th March 2014 at 05:46 PM.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I think this is actually part of the equation though. Chong has done a truly admirable job of walking what is ultimately a fine line between creativity and commercial viability. Amouage is an Arabic company that has recognized the potential for westernization—notably so within recent years. Fate Man, for example, takes notes (immortelle and cumin) that are deployed with gusto in more traditional usage (but also in other scents as well), and flattens them to almost pedestrian levels for a new audience. When I first tried Fate Man last year, this was striking to me as the notes were so dialed in and safely played that I began to suspect that something was up and that certain decisions were being made to appeal to non-Arabic audiences (a business move). Furthermore, a number of their fragrances were never made accessible in the West. Scents like Molook, Asrar, Amber, Afrah etc. never saw distribution, and instead we got mundane crowd-pleasers like Jubilation and whatnot. I don't begrudge the company for doing this in any way—and frankly I think they do it brilliantly—but it does infer that certain sacrifices are being made in appealing to Western tastes by moving away from their Arabic routes. Perhaps some of my arabic friends on here could correct me on this (paging Hedonist), but something like Interlude Man—a sweet, sugary kind of scent—seems to bear no relation at all to the company's original aesthetic. This could simply be an attempt to develop a more international flavor, but it could also be read (and seems to be by the detractors of the company's direction), a financial decision. Again, not knocking what they're doing, just noting that there's a possibility here that the perceived decline has stemmed from a totally understandable need to compete in an international market.
    Now this is an intelligent post! Not even the dumbest of fish would take the bait on what Kaern wrote. Yes I'm sure they have to cater different compositions to different markets. No one wants to lose money. But visions change. And since Chong took over five years ago, it's not surprising that it's not going to be the same company it was ten or fifteen years ago. Is that a bad thing? I guess it is to some. It's just that these people remind me of the older generation that says "in my day, we had to walk to school five miles, we didn't have buses or cell phones, bahh humbug......the Amouage I knew didn't put out but one release a year and it was good, bahhh, bahhh." You know what, the restrictions on what you can use are a lot different than ten years ago. There are a myriad of factors that I'm sure none of us could completely understand. Maybe you guys could actually go to the source, get an interview and take some of these complaints to see what Chris has to say about them? Maybe all of us could agree on that?

  46. #46

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Interlude Man smells good to me, but it does seem a bit one-dimensional and safe, especially compared to the likes of Memoir Man and even Opus VII. My wife doesn't like it, she says it smells like being inside Cost Plus (i.e., generic "eastern" vibe).

    I agree with rickbr that the criticism of recent releases, as I understand it, is not about the quality of materials but the creativity. And deadidol is very likely right that Amouage has calibrated the product line regionally.

    I think in summary we'd all like to see them take more chances with the releases for the Western market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    I remember seeing a post on Twitter several months ago with an article where Christopher Chong was talking about drawing on his Chinese Heritage. The notes he mentioned were white florals, vanilla, leather, and Osmanthus...
    This is interesting to me because I don't really know what Osmanthus smells like and I have a tenuous relationship with white florals. Vanilla seems to be everywhere. Leather is a favorite accord of mine. I'd be very interested in seeing how these ingredients/accords could be combined.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I think this is actually part of the equation though. Chong has done a truly admirable job of walking what is ultimately a fine line between creativity and commercial viability. Amouage is an Arabic company that has recognized the potential for westernization—notably so within recent years. Fate Man, for example, takes notes (immortelle and cumin) that are deployed with gusto in more traditional usage (but also in other scents as well), and flattens them to almost pedestrian levels for a new audience. When I first tried Fate Man last year, this was striking to me as the notes were so dialed in and safely played that I began to suspect that something was up and that certain decisions were being made to appeal to non-Arabic audiences (a business move). Furthermore, a number of their fragrances were never made accessible in the West. Scents like Molook, Asrar, Amber, Afrah etc. never saw distribution, and instead we got mundane crowd-pleasers like Jubilation and whatnot. I don't begrudge the company for doing this in any way—and frankly I think they do it brilliantly—but it does infer that certain sacrifices are being made in appealing to Western tastes by moving away from their Arabic routes. Perhaps some of my arabic friends on here could correct me on this (paging Hedonist), but something like Interlude Man—a sweet, sugary kind of scent—seems to bear no relation at all to the company's original aesthetic. This could simply be an attempt to develop a more international flavor, but it could also be read (and seems to be by the detractors of the company's direction), a financial decision. Again, not knocking what they're doing, just noting that there's a possibility here that the perceived decline has stemmed from a totally understandable need to compete in an international market.
    You said exactly what i meant, that is why i don't think that there is any drop on quality on Amouage's line. It was more a shift in its direction.
    Too bad that their more arabic fragrances, the attars, are not so easy to find, i have tried some and really liked them.

  48. #48

    Cool Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    Now this is an intelligent post! Not even the dumbest of fish would take the bait on what Kaern wrote. Yes I'm sure they have to cater different compositions to different markets. No one wants to lose money. But visions change. And since Chong took over five years ago, it's not surprising that it's not going to be the same company it was ten or fifteen years ago. Is that a bad thing? I guess it is to some. It's just that these people remind me of the older generation that says "in my day, we had to walk to school five miles, we didn't have buses or cell phones, bahh humbug......the Amouage I knew didn't put out but one release a year and it was good, bahhh, bahhh." You know what, the restrictions on what you can use are a lot different than ten years ago. There are a myriad of factors that I'm sure none of us could completely understand. Maybe you guys could actually go to the source, get an interview and take some of these complaints to see what Chris has to say about them? Maybe all of us could agree on that?
    Let's try and minimize baiting references and any bickering so that this conversation can stay afloat

    I wonder if what you're perceiving as a "get off my lawn" effect might have some connection to general shifts in the industry due to increasing regulation as well. Obviously these lines need to compete, and I'd reiterate that Amouage—even if there are sacrifices at work (which is up for debate)—do it fantastically. Other companies would just throw their dignity out the window and simply become soulless machines that produces an endless stream of low-IQ fluff in fancy packaging. (Could you imagine Amouage pulling some Tribute Attar Eau Fraiche Extreme pour Intense Bro nonsense?). Many Basenoters are well-versed in perfume's history and have watched in horror as artisanal, meticulous fragrances of the past twenty or so years have been bastardized by not just regulations, but also by bottom-line interests, moving much closer to the realm of commodified products than what came prior. I'd harbor that some of these same anxieties translate to what's happening here. I doubt anyone here would say that it's as black and white with Amouage—that they didn't suddenly switch from artistry to the mass-production of crap (which was my original point that even those who have been disappointed as of late would still root for the line). But when there are possible parallels of perceived drops in quality (read that more as dignity/allegiance to their original aims rather than quality of materials) that coincide with very real and tangible drops in quality across the industry as a whole, I can totally understand the concern. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next, for sure.

    Journey is the name? I'm envisioning a long camel ride through the desert, and so the Orientalist in me is picturing sandy, dry amber and spices, with a touch of camel dung thrown in
    Last edited by deadidol; 26th March 2014 at 06:56 PM.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Let's try and minimize baiting references and any bickering so that this conversation can stay afloat.

    Ha! I actually meant yours (deadidol) was a highly intelligent, thoughtful post worth responding to. The other one about the mall/calone was just baiting (by him).
    Whatever Jouney is going to be, and yours is a good vision, I'm convinced after this brief thread people are going to be split no matter how good it is.
    Last edited by Indagnacious; 26th March 2014 at 08:28 PM.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Great news but I guess they will keep on getting more and more expensive.

  51. #51

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Great news but I guess they will keep on getting more and more expensive.
    I believe this more than anything else is what p*sses people off, and it seems to skewer many reviews. If they are going to have to pay $300 and $450 for a frag, it had better be a five star. So even if it still manages to be a very good three star or mediocre four star, the sh*t is going to hit the fan and the claws are going to come out. I do my best to leave price point at the door. If it's that expensive, I just get a decant.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I for one welcome our new Interlude and Fate overlords.

    They're both high-quality fragrances, in my opinion. Like other Amouages, they take a bit of time to get to know, and certainly they won't be to everyone's taste. But both are multifaceted, fascinating, and composed of high-quality materials. I don't see this as being of such different ilk as Memoir Man or Jubilation XXV or Epic Man. If Amouage were to have simply released another "obvious" resinous oriental we would have complained about that, too. I like the twists they're taking within that genre. I'm looking forward to trying the new duo.

  53. #53
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,929

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    .....Too bad that their more arabic fragrances, the attars, are not so easy to find, i have tried some and really liked them.
    Be great to see Tribute Attar reworked into an edp.

  54. #54

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    One Men's and Women's. I am being told the name will be Journey.
    Don't stop Belovin'!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  55. #55

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Don't stop Belovin'!
    Haha! Took me a second, but I lol'd.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Be great to see Tribute Attar reworked into an edp.
    I see some kind of influence of Tribute inside the Interlude structure. Not the sweet part, of course, but the leathery and driest oudy one

  57. #57
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,203

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    I look forward to every Amouage release! Even if I find that a particular scent is not for me, I always appreciate the artistry in apparent quality of the ingredients. Christopher Chong has stated he is taking the house in a different direction; Fate was supposed to be the last in that line and I hope that these will be a first step in a direction of renewed creativity. Expensive? Yes. But worth the price for those that hit the right spots for me. Plus the expense can be cut with some smart shopping and patience.
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  58. #58

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    you make
    i try
    i like, i buy
    but , i wont cry

    for swap/sale:





  59. #59

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    Let's try and minimize baiting references and any bickering so that this conversation can stay afloat.

    Ha! I actually meant yours (deadidol) was a highly intelligent, thoughtful post worth responding to. The other one about the mall/calone was just baiting (by him).
    Whatever Jouney is going to be, and yours is a good vision, I'm convinced after this brief thread people are going to be split no matter how good it is.
    Actually - you have responded to it twice now. I apologise for not reaching your intellectual heights though.

    I wasn't 'baiting' for the sake of it. Beloved Man smelt no better than a 'mall' fragrance at 5 times the price. And what is the thought process behind using calone ever again in a new fragrance?

    You take 'patronising' to a new level altogether

  60. #60

    Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

    Hopefully it will be available in the states and not only be a regional exclusive...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Similar Threads

  1. Amouages & Hermes (Australia Only)
    By Yiyi4real in forum Items for Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th January 2013, 02:27 PM
  2. Amouages and TOVA for sale
    By Pour_Monsieur in forum Items for Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th September 2012, 10:22 AM
  3. Cheaper prices at Amouages online boutique!
    By Ender in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25th March 2010, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000