Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming - Journey.

Both sound very interesting - osmanthus in any incarnation is a draw for me, dessert, tea or fragrance.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the spiced aspect of Man plays out. The opening of Honour Man is still the best rendition of pepper oil I have come across in a fragrance - it takes me straight to Beijing, a friend's old Hutong with a semi-outdoor kitchen and his resident Szechuan chef. Absolutely wonderful.

We have a few truly authentic Szechuan restaurants here and what most people miss in their descriptions of this style of cuisine is the intensely floral (almost a deep boozy carnation / rose) aspect that is inherent in the 'spiciness' and pepper corns etc. (and yes, your lips go numb).

Hope they turn up soon!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Mr.reasonable took me to this really nice Szechuan restaurant.

Lips went completely numb! Loved it.

for swap/sale:

hahaha - yup, one of the best

If Journey Man can match this we are in business!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

^^ This curry looks too good... Droooool...!

Regarding Journey they both sound great on paper but I'm always a little cautious of Kafkaesque reviews as our tastes can differ quite often, but looking forward to sampling both soon, so glad that at last Amouage will soon be available locally.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Ditto. The more I read about this, the more it sounds like something that is not only right "up" my alley, it might just repossess the whole alley and kick the other squatters out.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Basenotes Plus

I know what you mean, fumehood - this one has my full attention as well. Here's hoping amouage is going to have a winner here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I'm hoping it's good as the Woody Spicy genre is my favorite. But I think for me it's going to be how they do the fiery sounding pepper they are using in the ingredients and how it effects other notes. I have not been a fan of Interlude, Fate and Beloved Man so I hope this one turns it around.

Being an Amouage; would it be safe to assume it will have the signature frankincense note which I've come to love?

Also will the men's version have any Oud present? No middle eastern perfume will be complete without Oud in its composition ...

Default Re: New Fragrance: Journey Man - Amouage

Available now (apparently) at Lowndes Street.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Available now (apparently) at Lowndes Street.
    Great news. It's available in Belgian webshops too now! Can't wait to try it.

Does anyone know the date it will be released?

Sniffed both of these at the Amouage shop in London a few days ago (only on paper strips, mind you, but still). Journey Woman I liked right away; it's roundly floral and plush without seeming heavy or overstated. Very amiable but also substantial due to the obvious high quality of ingredients. It was my favorite of the two.

Journey Man attacks with decisive character; it is sharp, spicy (as in hot peppers, not as in a spice rack), a bit higher-pitched, and despite similar-seeming notes is not just a gloss on previous Amouage woody-spiced masculines. I think bright fiery tones with this rather than deep, dark, earthy. From the paper strip I wasn't taken by it, but as with any of this house's releases it will surely merit fuller consideration.

One thing's clear: neither of these were humdrum, and I have no doubt of Amouage's ongoing skills and attention to quality.

Smelled both earlier this week; posted my first thoughts in the thread linked above.

We'd better merge these threads...

I'm heading to Dubai airport in the next hour in transit home, I see on the duty free web-site that Journey is now available.
    Therefore I'll be testing it with the aim to buy in a few hours, will report back!

I just passed through the new Sheikh Hamad airport in Doha, Qatar on June 4 and they did not have Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Sniffed both of these at the Amouage shop in London a few days ago (only on paper strips, mind you, but still). Journey Woman I liked right away; it's roundly floral and plush without seeming heavy or overstated. Very amiable but also substantial due to the obvious high quality of ingredients. It was my favorite of the two.

Journey Man attacks with decisive character; it is sharp, spicy (as in hot peppers, not as in a spice rack), a bit higher-pitched, and despite similar-seeming notes is not just a gloss on previous Amouage woody-spiced masculines. I think bright fiery tones with this rather than deep, dark, earthy. From the paper strip I wasn't taken by it, but as with any of this house's releases it will surely merit fuller consideration.

One thing's clear: neither of these were humdrum, and I have no doubt of Amouage's ongoing skills and attention to quality.
    Thanks, onethinline. I also smelled them from spray samples a couple of weeks ago and loved the Woman one. On skin it is gorgeous - I got a lot of honey and creamy floral, with a really animalic aspect that intensified as it dried down.

I got the Man one on a strip, and couldn't really make heads or tails of it for a few days. It's much more interesting after a while - it became really leathery and smoky. I'd like to try that one on skin also, to see that development happen faster.

Trust them tried them both briefly some time ago.

Journey woman, Fate Woman, is indeed a new direction like Chong said before the Fate release.
    Journey Man is still like traditional Amouage.

I liked Woman more.

It reminded me of Serge Lutens Boxesues - from a structure perspective - a very soft leather note accompanied by a very soft fruity note.

From a notes perspective, it reminded me of Hedonist by Viktoria Minya.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I'm heading to Dubai airport in the next hour in transit home, I see on the duty free web-site that Journey is now available.
    Therefore I'll be testing it with the aim to buy in a few hours, will report back!
    Did you get a chance to give either one the fragrances a sniff?
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Did you get a chance to give either one the fragrances a sniff?
    Yes, I managed to sample Journey Man. I was very underwhelmed unfortunately, will post my thoughts soon.

Anyone know any websites that are selling journey yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    Anyone know any websites that are selling journey yet?
    Their own will probably be the first but it's being re-vamped so maybe they'll have some when it's back up on the 17th June.
    http://www.amouage.com
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Their own will probably be the first but it's being re-vamped so maybe they'll have some when it's back up on the 17th June.
    http://www.amouage.com
    Yer their shop has it in London but their site doesn't ship to Australia

Well, has someone tried it yet? I'm so curious!

Harrods had it in the shop on Sunday, so their website probably has it.

I have commented elsewhere, but I wasn't so impressed with Journey Man. I liked aspects of it- there was a hint of something dark and smoky, but that was overtaken by a sharp clangy note that I couldn't really identify - it just reminded me of generic "men's fragrance," though I know that's not helpful. Overall I found it pretty boring.

Woman, on the other hand, is gorgeous. Very creamy, honeyed floral with an animalic quality that intensifies as it dries down. I may have to have that one.

OK it's been over a week since I sampled it, but I'll try and recap my brief thoughts on Journey man.

The opening is very astringent, it reminded me of the sour woody aspects of Encre Noir, without the ISO-Super-E and Vetiver. Imagine that dark, green astringent, almost bark like smell, except amplified and very naturally woody. Next picture the really high pitched screechiness of Montale Black Aoud, with the same leafy/dusty/powdery under currents. Couple this with a boat load of hissy pepper spice and you have something very powerful and high pitched, screaming in different directions.

It stays like this for the most part, before winding down to something not a million miles away from the very far dry down of Knize Ten (Leathery Amber, mixed with some florals).

Overall I wasn't impressed and was very underwhelmed. That's not to say I won't be sampling it again.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 14th June 2014 at 05:47 AM.

I'm a huge fan of Amouage and I hope they will go for something really "cutting edge" this time!
    ...on the back of the fishtruck that loads while my conscience explodes....

Default Re: Two New Amouages Coming

I heard through the grapevine they're going to be called Broke Man and Broke Woman, given the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacos View Post
    I heard through the grapevine they're going to be called Broke Man and Broke Woman, given the asking price.
    This is my guess also if they follow the path taken with Fate and certainly Beloved = overpriced!!!

Are the official prices already known?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    This is my guess also if they follow the path taken with Fate and certainly Beloved = overpriced!!!

Are the official prices already known?
    US price is $345 for Man and $385 for Woman for 100mL bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    US price is $345 for Man and $385 for Woman for 100mL bottle.
    Well thank's. Let's give it a sniff, shall we

Question to those of you that have smelled Journey man: I like Fate man and Honour. Will I probably like Journey man?

Bump..

I've been sampling the new Journey's the last few days. Some thoughts.

Journey Man

Great explosive zesty peppery sparkle on spraying literally lasting 30 seconds, then the pepper carries the openning in a more calm way. In the swiftly arriving heart a soft leather berried nargamotha accord in warm reds leads while in the early drydown a greenish tobacco echos a depersonalised Christopher Street. Ambrox, white musk and a little incense and tonka form the drydown, pleasant if a little uninspiring.

I didn't like it too much at first as it felt a bit safe/commercial but after a few wears I'm warming to it. It's worth persevering for, but it's more of a great smelling accessible classic masculine than groundbreaking future direction. Performance is a little unbalanced as it's a fog horn for the first couple hours, then pulls right back to a skin scent with 10+ hours longevity. Good to V.Good but not great.

Journey Woman

Probably the first thing that is prompting me to rethink my almond/heliotrope hate. The ripe fleshy apricot works to offset the full whack of almondy apricot kernel during the opening. During the floral feast of a heart I'm finding it difficult to pick out all the florals individually, but the mimosa comes out beautifully. There's a brief rush of liquid honey at late heart/early drydown that almost gets too sweet momentarily before it starts starts to fade. The drydown retains facets of apricot, but it seems of the dried variety, possibly an effect on the resins and tonka. Along with a soft suede I'm smelling slightly bitter mandarin peel in the late drydown.

Just brilliant stuff and the only one the two that really sung to me. While Journey Man I can appreciate, Journey Woman throws up vivid imagery at all of its stages. For me it's all about fruit orchards in Japan in late summer just around sunset when everything is bathed in amber light, the grasses are dried, the fruits are ripe and succulent, and the heady aromas of wild flowers fill the air. Must have material.

Thanks for the review Mick Trick. It looks like ParfumsRaffy and Parfum1 now has them in stock. I'll try getting samples in the near future.

ParfumsRaffy's price for the samples have gone up to $8.00 but still is a better price than decant stores.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

JW outshone JM in a big way for me as well, but I got more of a tea and spice thing from JW than anything. JM was just sort of an anonymous old-school thing.

I'd need to spend more time with both to be more articulate, though.

Agree regarding the jasmine green tea in JW deadidol.

I spent a day with this (JW) and found it to be a pleasing White Floral, but I wasn't especially inspired. I'll be spending more time with it to get a better feel. I found it had very little sillage and the longevity was not impressive. Off the bat, I'd say it's not worth the price to me personally, though it is a lovely, pleasant sort of scent.

On initial spray, there was a trace of incense but that dissipated rather quickly and I was left with primarily the osmanthus. I can't say that I noticed a lot of development over time.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I only briefly smelt the two in Harrods last week. Journey Man started with a typical Amouage opening- powerful and spicy, but the dry down was calmer, and more of a skin scent than some of the other offerings such as Interlude.

Journey Woman was a huge journey through a bouquet of flowers. I didn't put it on skin, but it smelt very well done. I do like floral fragrances, Carnal Flower is mind-blowing, but I just find them slightly too feminine for me.

I've got a spray sample now of Journey Man, I've worn it several times over the last few days and still yet to come around on this one.
    Another bust from Amouage after Interlude, Fate, Beloved and Honour. I think it's about time Christopher Chong's position was re-thought.

I've tried it today and it left me underwhelmed in every possible way.