Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    The SH sample pass is on!

I will be adding Rume, Norne, and Mare to the package. This is gonna be fun!

I will start posting reviews/impressions of the ones I've tried already!

So exciting, JiveHippo! I'll PM you my address, being next. Can't wait to smell the ones new to me, too. Many thanks for contributing! Here's the pass order again. Everyone be sure the person before you on the list has your mailing address.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

If there's anything left:
    danieq

Hey all! Deadidol here. I snarfed up a thread merge (of course), so I'm going to attach my initial disclaimer about this thread here in the first post by ventriloquizing JiveHippo:

Because the original Slumberhouse Sample Pass thread that was kindly orchestrated by ScentFan and Badarun had some glitches and had to be closed, some of those involved have requested a new thread simply to discuss the scents being passed around. To be clear, this is not an opportunity to get in on a sample pass, it's just a space for those who were involved initially to share and compare their thoughts and for others to respond. I'm going to go ahead and import some comments from the locked thread (so it might look a tad sloppy to begin), but it'll give you all a place to chat and compare your sampling experiences.

For those who missed the original thread, the scents included in the pass were: Baque, Eki, Flou, Grev, Jeke , Kere, Mare, Norne, Ore (extrait), Ore EdP, Pear + Olive , Rume, Sana, Sova, and Vikt. With that said, I'll hand it back over to those involved to discuss, starting with JiveHippo's original comments:

Vikt Extrait:

Whoa, black licorice. Intense anise, with the standard balsamic SH accord. A sweetness, and oud as well. The Oud blends well with the licorice, it makes for a very smooth opening but, there is a very strong synthetic base in this. I also detect the same chemical (much less so) in Ore extrait. A metallic, synth note that encompasses the whole drydown. The opening is great, but imo, it goes downhill after that. If you like anise, it's definitely worth a try.

Rume:

Fruity, boozy and spicy. Very rich. Brings to mind the smell of brewing beer or wine. Fermenting fruits and grains. Very smooth, and quite sweet too. Labdanum and myrrh combine to give the fragrance a deep resinous quality. One of the more challenging, oddball SH scents imo.
    Last edited by deadidol; 26th March 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

Here's my take (disclaimer - I’m nowhere near the good noses we have here on BN...). On a general take, I find both Slumberhouse & Juniperridge to be the most natural parfums.

My favorites from Slumberhouse are Vikt, Norne, Jeke, Rume, Baque & Sova. While ORE & ZAHD are both masterpieces imho, they are very easily worn by everyone & not challenging like the above 6. These 6 got me to start liking this house & even now, these 6 give me the most intense, memorable olfactory experience.

Leaving out my take on Eki, Flou, Sana & P&O, as I hardly use them – they are mostly used by my girlfriend, my niece & my sister. My personal take - I like Sana the most, among Eki, Sana & Flou. P&O is very good, but it creates an oily vibe (with rgds to smell), which I don't prefer.

Vikt - this is for the old formulation which I really like - new one is supposedly more polished compared to the old & has a good (massive) dose of pure mysore sandalwood based attar.
    notes: licorice, fennel, anise, styrax, ravensara, oud - combined to push the limits on the wearer - go with 2-3 sprays max, if u own it, all under clothing - even with it, the old vikt can project exceptionally well & lasts a day or more (unfortunately i shower every day, so couldn't test that aspect). Oud is not fecal / challenging & is not the most prominent note, but together, it creates a wonderful effect - incensy, balmy, resinuous, highly intense & dark.

Baque - another favorite from this line.
    notes: Apricot, Cedar, Straw, Vanilla, Tobacco leaf, Davana, Ambergris, Parchment, artemisia.
    imagine a saw mill with cedar being sawed off (woody notes are very mild, but still noticeable); nearby a lady cooking a fruity apricot based stew, some fine tobacco leaves (one of the best accords of tobacco I've smelt), vanilla, hay as well - together, pure magic. Many comment of a boozy accord, which my nose fails to detect - this is sweet, but not cloying, again exceptional longevity & very good silage. not easily worn for regular people used to "perfumery". the notes can be quite challenging on this, as they vary based on the weather quite a bit; colder it gets, more tobacco'ish it gets, warmer weather which this isn't really suitable for will make it very sweet. whoever tests - be ready to get wafts of this through 12-14 hours with various notes coming on & off - it's a journey (Baque along with Rume were like this for me).

Sova -
    notes: poplar (populus) buds, tonka bean, hay, vanilla, castoreum, amber, broom, beeswax, black locust, melilot or sweet clover and hops
    enough has been said about this parfum on many threads. To me, Sova ranks after Vikt, Rume, Norne, Jeke, Baque. Sova, with its castoreum / beeswax combo + other notes, to me is much more animalic than the musky MKK / Musc Ravageur, both of which I own & don't find really animalic.

Rume
    notes: bay leaf, myrrh and labdanum.
    now this is boozy, even my terrible nose gets it!!! I got reminded of this when a co-worker brought some rum cake (new year time) - while there's no rum in Rume, the spicy, boozy / burnt pralines with a cocacola'ish sweetness accords makes this the sweetest one from this house imho. Longevity is again exceptional. This scent again takes me on a 12-14 hr odyssey - wafts of notes keep coming on & off...very nicely done indeed. People who like the dense Ambre Sultan / Filles en Aiguilles types might really like it - only if you would prefer something more challenging. I own many Luten's, but don't find them challenging at all.

Norne
    notes (from fragrantica): fir, incense and spicy notes. I think there's lots more than just these 3...
    simple review - coniferous forest floor. but the parfum isn't that simple, it's a tremendously complex & well made imo. As fyi, the below are excerpts from reviews on BN which I totally agree, with rgds to the feel norne creates:
    From mick_trick - when you have a bonfire in the forest, and someone throws a wet fir branch on... just at that moment there is a aroma that comes from the burning wet fir, part aromatic steam, part sour hot resin, and part wet smoke. Incredible the imagery contained in this beautiful fragrance...

Jeke
    Notes: Benzoin, patchouli, tobacco, lapsang souchong, vanilla, and clove
    wonderful / best smoky tobacco i have ever sampled / owned; based on weather / temperature, this can go from sweet / resinuous (aka "Slumberhouse feel") to a regular feel (at least on me). very potent, so i never spray on open skin, only under skin & dont wear anything light, the juice will stain fabric. I love strong tobacco's like Tribute attar etc, but none capture a smoky tobacco leathery accord like jeke does. Longevity is excellent & silage is low to average, so it's more of a olfactory experience for the self; but anyone close might get alarmed by the heavy smoky accord. totally FB worthy like the above 5.

Grev
    Notes: Copaiba, Fir balsams, Clove, Birch, Orris, Cedar
    Grev, along with Kere & Mare, might be to everyone on this sample pass, the most challenging imho. Terribly balsamic - wait for at least 4-6 hours for the mellowed phase to come through, from whereon, it will be wonderful - until then, cloves will have a medicinal fell on you.

Kere
    notes: Aldehydes, Apricot, White chocolate, Plum, Orange, Honeysuckle, Licorice, Hay, Caramel
    Totally different smelling than the notes - due to possible reformulation? I don't know which version I won, this is most likely the reform, as sandalwood is there, w/o a doubt, although, don't get any rose yet. It's sweet, slightly fruity, with licorice, styrax & a good dose of sandalwood to me. Simple, with exceptional longevity - very good silage too. It reminds me a bit of medicinal oils used in India, in a good way though.

Mare
    Notes: none available online - my take - very green, dill, earthy vetiver & some other slight spices / pepper notes.
    Now this was / is the most difficult perfume I've sampled. I was & still am finding it difficult for the first few hours when the green notes + dill create this almost mask like feel, after which woods, mainly an earthy vetiver come out. (I might be totally wrong on this). However, public views are very positive, a trendy lady who I work with said I should wear this more often. Everyone in my family liked it too.

Ore(own both EDP & the new Extrait & both are included on the sample pass)
    Notes: Guaiac wood, Peru balsam, Black pepper, Cocoa absolute, Palmarosa, Clary sage
    Enough entered on reviews & threads; to me this is a masterpiece & the "best coca which cannot be called gourmand". Women at work loved this (a normally reserved girl came back to smell my jacket & said (quoting her words here) "I don't want to smell u in public, but whatever the hell u r wearing is simply gorgeous")...Part of Alfarom's review, given below, is bang on target (I still don't find it a gourmand though): “This bizarre concoction between edible and inedible elements makes of Ore one of the most original takes on the gourmandic theme. Intense but barely sweet, mysterious, dark and dangerously sexy.

Zahd
    notes from slumberhouse.com: cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent.
    A WOW parfum, masterpiece & no words are enough to describe how I felt (this from someone who owns 300+ bottles & many Slumberhouse's too among them).
    I was fortunate to sample 3 versions - the first which is supposedly much closer to the final outcome had a tremendous impact on me. I pm'd a BN who also had recvd the sample with a lot of hesitation (bcoz my nose to me is terrible & I instantly found Zahd to be great & I thought this was due to my liking of slumberhouse, my mind was playing games & dictating my nose the same way) & the BN also found Zahd the same (what a sigh of relief that was!!!).
    (for whatever follows - I'm not a religious guy) - Whoever has had the chance to visit any ancient temples in India (particularly South India) - early mornings, there's this wonderful smell that combines all of this - sandalwood powder / vibuthi or sacred ash powder / turmeric & vermillion powder for the color & light smell / fresh camphor & burning camphor with its smoke plus burning woods - sandalwood and cedar & also dried cowdung / burning indian incense sticks dominant on sandalwood, rose notes / honey / milk / fresh indian jasmine flower / rose / smell of burning oil lamps filled with sesame oil / all this on a dampness smell emanating from the damp black granite floor and walls - all this combined together is Zahd to me - none of these might actually be in Zahd, but the vibe it creates is so alike to the temple fell i mentioned; even my sister & her 7 yr old daughter, fresh from a visit to India, were able to identify the same way - niece, all of 7 yrs, told it smells like indian temple (as fyi, the smell varies - the morning feel is what i describe & is wonderful, any time after & u wouldn't want to smell it!!!). Zahd was love at first sight. I'm so glad i'm on the list of the fortunate 150 to have bought this wonderful creation. This can be considered the most complete, crowd friendly creation of Slumberhouse - in a traditional perfumery way of creation, without even a trace of the "Slumberhouse" vibe.If this was mass manufactured, this will win the years awards if it gets released; with just 150 of 30ml's made, chances of it taking awards might be remote, which is the sad part...

A badarun-inspired analysis.

Zahd.
    We don't have it in the sample pass (do we, badarun?), but I'll comment. Unlike badarun I didn't fall in love on first sniff. The cranberry/cherry note smelled like candy apple to me at first and I didn't linger. On reflection, I think I'd been smelling other things and my nose may have malsniffed. Also, I think I first sniffed my Zahd sample in the days before I realized one must, must sample on skin before reaching a conclusion, not just sniff and then dab on paper. Ahem. (That authoritative internet video that advises this should be amended!) Having cancelled two planned trips to India over the years (one to hunt boar, another to visit a guru's ashram; [went to a Buddhist retreat in Bordeaux instead]--by the way, don't ever cancel amazing trips, even if your loved ones are freaking out), I can't comment on the smell of the temples there. I've been in temples elsewhere, though. And Zahd does have a temple vibe. It certainly deserves an award. Every Slumberhouse I've smelled is a masterpiece to my ultra-ultra finicky nose, which registers only what it detects for itself -- can't even comprehend a smell consensus, so doesn't try. That other noses may conclude differently to it is a foregone conclusion.

Knowing Zahd has cranberry and champaca -- hey, what's that anyway? Looking it up. A member of the magnolia family. Oh, wait! I have a sample of the extract here! It came last week. Wow, this has an almost peppery initial impression and then a musty floral scent arises that makes me think India immediately, as if ... wait, are these the yellow flowers they use in religious ceremonies all the time? Looking up pic. Yes! So anyone who's been in those temples can't help but smell India just like badarun says because champaca flowers are everywhere! Olfactorally, Zahd takes you there. Don't knock your nose, badarun, it's batting a thousand.

Back to Zahd. Josh's website says "Zahd incorporates notes of cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent. The perfume itself is a deep ruby red color and is concentrated at 30% to create an incredibly powerful and long lasting extrait. Each bottle contains 30ml and costs $150. Only 125 bottles will be made and once they are sold out that is it."

Maybe he squeezed more out. Maybe the perfume gods are kind to its new devotees, inspired not by knowledge but by passion. OTOH, maybe all I'll ever have is this small sample of Zahd.

By chance, Angel of Music from Phantom of the Opera is playing as I type this. To me, Josh is the phantom of perfumery. I hope I get to wear his deep dark fruity, fabulous Zahd.

Ore Extrait/EDP Comparision:

Honestly, not a huge difference here. I put a spritz of each on my wrists this morning. The opening is where the difference lies. The EDP has much less cocoa and woods. As expected, the extrait is more rich and full bodied. It hits you with a very obvious cocoa note in the opening, where in the EDP the cocoa is a bit more subdued. I do get the "coconut" vibe in the extrait that many people have commented on, and that also seems to be absent in the EDP. Overall they're both very nice scents. Chocolatey gourmands, with some of the best woody notes I've ever smelled in a fragrance. I own the extrait, and I'm quite happy that I now know I prefer it to the EDP.

Norne:

Don't know how much I can add that hasn't already been said. This stuff is incredibly strong, quite jarring, and not for the faint of heart. Smells intensely of pine and incense. Also has the balsamic effect found in many SH fragrances. The consistency of the liquid is thick and syrupy. I had an official sample that had been sitting around for a while and the atomizer actually seized. It will not spray anymore. A big downside for me (and the reason why I will not purchase this) is that it leaves a sticky green stain on skin, and stains clothing. It almost feels like you have actual pine sap on your skin. Overall a very unique and pleasant smell. Lasts more than 24hrs. I agree with Turin's assessment when he said "not a proper perfume, but a great improper one" or something along those lines.

Flou:

The first decidedly feminine SH fragrance that I've tried. Crushed grapes and berries. Jasmine, tuberose, fig. Smells like the color purple. It's everything that Mugler's Alien and Dior's Poison want to be. Very nice. I'd love to smell this on a woman!

Eki:

This one straddles the line between unisex and feminine. I can definitely see a lot of men finding this one too fem. Lots of florals and some juicy berry notes up top. Pretty simple for a SH scent. Not much development, but I really like it. I pick up a slight smokey note that almost smells like burning plastic, strangely alluring. Too bad it's dicontinued.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 4th February 2014 at 04:12 PM.

Mare:

Very different smell. Green and earthy. Mildly herbal and spicy too. Also picking up on a melon type note. Another odd SH scent, but in a light and fresh sort of way. Not for me.

Sana:

Dark and sweet. Floral. Boozy perhaps? Typically SH. Also get somewhat of a "sweaty" note, leather? Overall, a nice scent, but not one of my favorites in the line.

I've got a couple more to go, then the package will be off to ScentFan.

Hi, Folks. Been under the weather for a few days, but I'm back at it. Regarding the sample pass, a few of the bottles are somewhat low. We’re not going to get three sprays per person, so try for a max of two.

First, an update on Zahd, then comments on the rest.

My Zahd arrived and it's truly a marvel, just as in the sample! After an initial blast of cranberry/cherry sweetness which quickly dissipates, the fragrance settles on my skin and then the star becomes the champaca, a yellow floral gem in a setting of mostly fruits and woods. When it arrived, I wore it all day. It's so well blended the drydown is just a dream. Hours later I still smelled it and hubby reported whiffs as I passed by. Next morning, it was still there, so longevity and sillage are fine. As everyone probably knows by now, the notes are: cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak. If I try, I can pick up the wine ether and the cocoa. Not sure what gromwell is. Zahd is a warm, unexpected and involving fragrance that I find entrancing. The champaca, cocoa, woods and incense are sultry bedfellows for the initially sweet cranberry & cherry. It’s hard to describe the combination, but it’s quite alluring, even comforting. Next morning the incense and oak are more prominent. The bottle is just as gorgeous as the scent. Guess we're not supposed to show photos yet? Now for some blasphemy. At risk of offending Josh (I hope not) and the perfume gods, I layered Zahd and Jeke and find the combination utterly addictive. It's a pas de deux so gorgeous, this could easily become my favorite scent, a fragrance I turn to when life is too amazing or too awful for speech. In this pas de deux, Jeke is Nureyev and Zahd Fontaine. No one has ever danced like those two and, to me, nothing can ever smell like Zahd/Jeke. [That said, I return you to your regularly-scheduled non-blasphemous regard for brilliant perfumery.]

Here are comments on the two in the sample pass I’d never tried:

Baque. Fragrantica classifies it as an oriental fougère, a genre I’ve yet to investigate. Looking it up. Wikipedia says a fougère has a top note of lavender and base of oak moss and coumarin (tonka bean). The most common modifiers are vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present. Baque’s notes are: Ambergris, Apricot, Davana, Parchment, Straw, Tobacco leaf, Tobacco blossom, Vanilla, Cedar. So I don’t get the fougère classification. I smell mainly apricot and tobacco, the other notes supporting them to create a unique scent experience that’s neither sweet nor bitter, but an appealingly dank mix of natural ingredients. A great smell, but perhaps not a perfume I’d wear.

Kere. Whoa, a pleasant initial blast of citrus, followed by a very appealing and unique scent — sweet, but not too much. I get a faint whiff of orange, also vanilla, a floral? The notes are: Aldehydes, Apricot, White chocolate, Plum, Orange, Honeysuckle, Licorice, Hay, Caramel. I really, really like this. Wait and the caramel and hay come deliciously up. Woe is me, I love it! Must hunt some down. The combo of ingredients is just magical.

My initial takes on the other scents in the pass are here:

Eki, Vikt, Flou, Grev, Sana
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3020466

Mare
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3015492

Jeke, Norne, Ore, Pear+Olive, Sova
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3009050

Marvelous fragrances, overall. For me, not all are wearable, but all smell incredible. So much so, that I plan to buy everything Josh makes from now on.

Will repackage what’s left and get this off to juanderer tomorrow.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 3rd March 2014 at 01:20 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Baque: My first impression of Baque was that it's somewhere between Sova and Rume. It has that honeyed tobaccoconutty feel of Sova with the thicker molasses-like dry fruit sweetness of Rume.

There is a very distinct vanilla bean and ambergris tandem that becomes prominent as the fragrance dries down. I sense an almost roasted effect on the vanilla bean on my skin.

I would say that Baque lines up really well with the latest offerings from Slumberhouse (Vikt, Ore, and Zahd; all in their extrait versions) as it is extremely wearable yet also has the challenging non-classical-perfume-like aesthetics we find in most releases from this house.

Kere opens sweet with a blast of dried apricot. A few seconds in, I get cinammon over a milky sandalwood background. There is also a medley of spices - more noticeably nutmeg and cardamom and just enough cumin to be noticeable but not overpowering. I've seen mention of a white chocolate accord on reviews for Kere and I can see that. I attribute it to the mix of sandalwood and aldehydes. At times, I get a mulled apple cider feel from it. It's comforting and gourmand without being overly sweet and it's far from cloying. The spices sets it apart from what we come to expect from gourmands. My overall impressions of Kere are positive, but it is not one I would consider a favorite from the house.

Update on Kere: The very late dry-down phase actually improved my overall impression of it. The cardamom carries through to the end and plays really well off of the sandalwood base.
    Last edited by juanderer; 26th March 2014 at 07:50 PM.

So happy to see this. Thanks for starting and I look forward to reading all the impressions.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Yaay! Thanks deadidol!

Thanks for the restart of this thread!

I wondered whether these were still being sampled? Hadn't seen anything new in a while.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Basenotes Plus

Yes. I sampled the few in the pass that I didn't have samples/bottles of already (I've yet to compile my notes to add here) and will pass it on to mimielle who should see it mid next week. I will update later with my impressions of the rest of the Slumberhouse fragrances I already own.

Sorry for the silence.

Awesome Juanderer! Can't wait to read your impressions when you get them down.

Me, too. I also was wondering what had happened to the pass. No activity for awhile, and the rest of us are still waiting to join in.

Here is the remaining order, so you don't have to look back at the old thread:

mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

Remember, there are a lot of people to go, so take care not to use too much.

As stated by Deadidol earlier, "This is not an opportunity to get in on a pass."
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th April 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I received the box safely, thank you juanderer!
    Norne seeped a bit and came unscrewed when I removed the tape so I'm not sure how to re-secure it for shipping, please advise? I don't have decanting experience!
    I have the PK Perfumes sample pass as well, they both arrived Thursday so I'm wallowing in decadent lusciousness, as you can imagine!

I'll commence testing but it will be fully 3 weeks or more given the strength and duration of development and the number of pass samples I have. I have purposely avoided reading most impressions so far until I form my own but I'll be very eager to discuss and compare afterwards.

Many thanks to ScentFan and Badarun for donating precious and very generous samples and to JiveHippo for following up with me! <3
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

I think the sprayer vials should be replaced with the regular vials with wands. The sprayers in this sample pass have done nothing but leak. They have caused problems and wasted rare and expensive products since the beginning of the sample pass. Also, dabber vials would prevent accidental over-application, which can occur with sprayers.

Since mimielle will have the samples for 3 weeks, if she doesn't have replacement vials, someone can send them to her.

What does everybody think of my suggestion?

Hi, all

Been away for a while. I bought the initial vials and when they leaked, I replaced them with the most expensive I could find. Here's the problem, which I discovered in the process of taping the new ones. Wrapping tape around the vial in the direction the cap screws off LOOSENS the cap. IOW, rewrap the tape clockwise, in the same direction you screw the cap on. Rewrapping, especially tightly rewrapping--as I'm sure we all did, in the wrong direction is the reason for the leaks.

Hubby pointed out that this is a key practice with pipe fitters, to wrap the pipes in the same direction they're screwed on or there will be leaks. Just haven't fitted any pipes lately.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, no! Was a lot of Norne lost? That was one of the few I didn't touch as I have a bottle of it. Let me know if there's not enough to sample, mimielle, and I'll send some in a dabber vial.

Basenotes Plus

I never tape anything - just wrap them in cling film & twist the ends (like a sweet wrapper) & have had no losses so far.
    Works for vials & sprayers.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I never tape anything - just wrap them in cling film & twist the ends (like a sweet wrapper) & have had no losses so far.
    Works for vials & sprayers.
    +1. Ditch the tape. It serves no purpose. Wrap microfilm around the threads, and twist the atomizer closed tightly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Oh, no! Was a lot of Norne lost? That was one of the few I didn't touch as I have a bottle of it. Let me know if there's not enough to sample, mimielle, and I'll send some in a dabber vial.
    Thank you, it was just a seep, not much was lost. It is a sticky and dark perfume so it was especially noticeable... then the coming unscrewed thing, there's still gracious plenty, it's just sealing it back up well enough to travel again. I do have a tiny perfume funnel so I could decant into something but as I said, not at all familiar with supplies to do it so I wanted input so we could not lose time past the time I am keeping them. Thank you for offering to replace though <3
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I think the sprayer vials should be replaced with the regular vials with wands.

What does everybody think of my suggestion?
    I have found so far that dabber vials do not give a true representarion of longevity of the frag or the actual strength. If a choice, I always prefer to sample from sparyers after almost passing on a few that seemed very fugitive on me when dabbed but were perfectly decent-lasting when sprayed. this may not be as much of an issue with these and other EDP and extraits but just in general. I will do whatever advised though for the next peeps in line
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

I'd be inclined to leave them as they are if it was just a bit of seepage, mimielle - the contents would be further depleted by yet more decanting.
    Last edited by lpp; 20th April 2014 at 07:02 PM.

Me, too. I also was wondering what had happened to the pass. No activity for awhile, and the rest of us are still waiting to join in.

Here is the remaining order, so you don't have to look back at the old thread:

mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

Remember, there are a lot of people to go, so take care not to use too much.

As stated by Deadidol earlier, "This is not an opportunity to get in on a pass."
    Don't forget Danieq hanging on the end of the trail, in case anything is left!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    So exciting, JiveHippo! I'll PM you my address, being next. Can't wait to smell the ones new to me, too. Many thanks for contributing! Here's the pass order again. Everyone be sure the person before you on the list has your mailing address.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

If there's anything left:
    danieq

Post transferred from previous thread for info.

Basenotes Plus

Just wondering how the sampling is going?

Basenotes Plus

Last I heard, mimielle was going through both this and the PK sample pack. Perhaps she's giving her nose a break.

In the meantime, here's my take on how the two versions of Vikt compare:

The current version was my second Slumberhouse blind buy (first one being Mare), and it quickly became one of my favorite fragrances in my collection. It took me one wear to get used to the fennel opening, but I was always in love with the warm and "spooky" sandalwood and oud attar dry down. It's comforting and challenging at the same time. The oud in this is not prominent enough to be a protagonist, but it supports the blend really well with some incense that adds a slightly metallic vibe.

The older version is louder and harsher up top and the metallic feel is more tenacious than in the current extrait formulation. It is still enjoyable, but I prefer the roundness of the extrait.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the info., juanderer.
    Vikt is becoming one of my favourites as well

Blog Entries

Still working my way through and making notes as I do so, just poking my head in to report so you all don't think I am MIA.
    I am sorry it is taking so long but with both passes landing at once, there was no help for it.
    The timetable for both was such that I couldn't have imagined it even happening.
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Vikt
    The older version is louder and harsher up top and the metallic feel is more tenacious than in the current extrait formulation. It is still enjoyable, but I prefer the roundness of the extrait.
    I might be the minority - I still like the older version - new seems to be more crowd friendly & lacks the tenacity of the old version.

Basenotes Plus

I like the friendliness of the extrait. I feel like it's an undercover situation with the fragrance - a challenging composition, by most crowd-friendly standards, that I can just spray on without worrying about offending someone... not that I'd ever worry about offending someone with what I wear.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mimielle View Post
    Still working my way through and making notes as I do so, just poking my head in to report so you all don't think I am MIA.
    I am sorry it is taking so long but with both passes landing at once, there was no help for it.
    The timetable for both was such that I couldn't have imagined it even happening.

Any progress yet, please?

Blog Entries

I will be boxing up and sending out later this week.
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for replying, mimielle - hope you enjoyed sampling them

Any updates on this? Where is the pass now?

Basenotes Plus

It would also be nice to hear mimielle's impressions if time permits please.
    Last edited by lpp; 12th June 2014 at 09:28 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Just received samples from Mimi. I had asked to be taken off the sample pass via e-mail that was sent out to all of us quite some time ago because work is insane and I wouldn't be able to get to them in timely fashion. Guess that didn't get noted in thread. I'd like to send these on (unsniffed) to next participant right away, who I believe is Purplebird? If that's correct, Purplebird can you PM me with your address? Thanks, Carolyn

Done! Address sent. If I receive the package next week, I should be able to start sampling and posting by the weekend (last weekend in June). I'm notoriously fast, so I can get them moving along to KBF1972 (whose address I already have) by early July.

KBF, please check in. Are you still interested?

The danger of taking so long with a pass is that people become inactive on the forum. I don't want to risk losing the samples. I've switched to email notifications for this thread because too much time goes by between posts here.

This pass has taken half a year and was fraught with difficulties. What could we have done differently?

Yes, I know spray bottles give a better representation of a normal "dose" of fragrance, but they leak. Stopper vials are more reliable -- something to consider for rare, expensive fragrances. Yes, I know people are busy, but the order of the participants can be re-arranged. It is easy to swap positions with the person below you.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 20th June 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Samples received! Great packaging bogsc. I will reuse the box. Thanks for being honest about not having time to review them and passing them on to me. I will make fast work of my reviews.

If you would like, your name could be moved to the bottom of the list in case you will have more time later. I'd hate for you to miss out entirely. I'll ask Deadidol to contact you in regard to this.

I have PMed KBF1972. If he is still interested in the pass and has timeb to do reviews, I will send the samples to him in about a week.

No use writing books about these since people have done some lovely reviews already. I'll start right in:

NORNE - This is the one I most wanted to try, based on the notes. I'm an evergreen freak, especially pine, fir, and spruce. This perfume smells like a walk out in the forest. Fabulous. I could wear this easily. To me, it smells primarily of balsam fir absolute. I'm not getting any smoky notes -- no burned smell, no remnants of a fire -- even though I'm sensitive to those, and I dislike them. So, this is surprisingly easy on my nose. Rather, it's more like frankincense.

It is strong, though. I didn't even do a full spray, and it's still enough. The initial hit of broken branches, sap, and crushed needles is heavenly. It smells like a long-lost, pine bubble bath that I used as a child -- a dark green liquid in a bottle that foamed in the tub and filled the entire bathroom with the scent of a Colorado mountain in the summer. (Alas, it disappeared like many of wonderful products.)

After more than an hour, Norne still smells great, but a soapy-musky base is becoming prominent. This doesn't put me off, though. (After all, my first pine-y love was a bubble bath.) Green notes are hard to retain. Norne does an admirable job of staying true to its intent, holding onto the original essence as long as possible. I am enjoying this immensely.

My biggest reservation about buying a bottle, actually more than the 100ml $300 price, is that I have read the essential oil safety books by Martin Watt and Robert Tisserand, and I wonder if this beautiful juice has more of the terpene-rich natural substances than are recommended in order to avoid sensitizing the wearer. I'd hate to develop an allergy to my favorite trees. No way to determine that, only to trust that the perfumer took that caution into consideration.

Oo. I'm wondering if I'll like the other Slumberhouse fragrances as much as I like Norne. We shall see. Tomorrow is another day...

Next, I tried Jeke and Pear and Olives because: 1) They are still being made and are available to buy, and 2) people seem to like them both a lot. I wasn't as lucky in that respect. Neither of these lived up to the hype for me.

JEKE - This one is the smoke monster I expected from Norne but didn't receive. Whoee. Lapsing Souchong tea disgusts me. I hated it the first time I drank it, and it never grew on me, contrary to the assertions of the salesperson. Jeke has a bitter, burning aroma. I don't tolerate this fragrance at all. When I was young and poor, my husband and I lived next door to the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Plant, and the smell of vulcanizing rubber was as nice as this, which is to say, not good. My nose is wrinkled. I'm frowning. I love benzoin, but its sweetness is totally flattened in a full-Nelson facebuster by Mr. Smoke. The tobacco note fails to help. I love unburned tobacco, like the kind in Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but this one is streaming out the mouth of a cigar smoker. Oh, Lord. I wouldn't even like this on a man. Sorry, Jeke fans. By the way, this fragrance is sold out on the Slumberhouse e-boutique. I guess lots of people like it. C'est la vie. It takes all kinds of people to make up this interesting society in which we live.

PEAR + OLIVE - I have been informed that the formula has changed on this one. Old formula, new formula, regardless; I think I object to the "olive" note. Is that what I'm smelling in here? It's oily. I like the pear note even though I'm not a fan of fruity fragrances. It's realistic, sweet, and candy-like. It's the olive that's bothering me. It's oily-rancid. It smells like a dishrag that has soured. It causes my stomach to roil. Okay, it's not overwhelming. I can handle it. There's so much of the pretty pear in here that I can block out the greasy odor. Surprisingly, I love olives and olive oil. I eat olive oil practically every day. I buy the best I can afford. That is why I can't call this an "olive" aroma. It's more like a fungus of some kind, sort of warm and dirty and growing. It's like when your clothes don't dry completely, but you have to wear them again. My apologies to those of you who find this delectable. You are entitled to your opinions. You are right for you. This is wrong for me.

Time to try again. Score: 1 for, 2 against. Norne is favorable vote.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 30th June 2014 at 02:06 AM.

Great! KBF1972 is in. He PMed me that he still wants to participate. I'll get these mailed on Monday after the Fourth of July holiday.

Please note: I am only using 1 spray of each, not the 3 or 5 sprays allowed. Therefore, I will be able to share my allotment with kumquat, who is a friend of mine and lives in my town. She also will use only 1 spray of each. Win-win: Less perfume used, and more people posting on this thread.

On to the samples again. This time, the other two fragrances that are still currently available in the Slumberhouse e-boutique:

ORE - Yum. Butterscotch rum. Caramel chocolate. Whiskey. Tasty treat of gourmand goodness. My favorite part is the initial blast of booze, which sets it apart from other, tamer gourmand scents. The golden color matches the aroma exactly. This is something I could imagine drizzled over vanilla ice cream. It's rich and fatty, gooey and thick. I wish the booze lasted longer. After it recedes, which is sadly too soon, the wood resins impart a non-edible bitterness, the herbal notes give it a sharp edge that inhibits my appetite, moving it from gourmand to oriental territory. It ends up with notes of hardwood mulch and a bit of sweet leather. As it develops, it starts to resemble a more typical amber and patchouli fragrance.

VIKT - Ah, here's a challenging scent -- attractive, but over-the-top. Black licorice is one of my favorite flavors. I can eat a whole bag of it, which grosses out many people whom I know. The scent of this fragrance is big, sweet, round, pungent, and in-your-face. It says, "Licorice? Red or black?... Oh, you like red? Then BWA-HA-HA! Run for your life!" This is like dying of asphyxiation while smiling, with a plastic bag of black licorice clamped over one's head. It's like overdose-huffing on Kukaburra twists, licorice babies, licorice wheels, Haribo ribbons, and those Finnish squares that look like roof shingles. The whole black and syrupy concoction is dropped onto a slightly creamy base, which makes it opaque.

I've enjoyed this one. Would I wear it? Probably not, but I appreciate it as an experience, so I give it a neutral.

Score: 1 for, 2 against, 2 neutral. Norne extends its lead by a furlong in this horse race.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st July 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Ah, I couldn't stop. I'm having so much fun. Thanks again to Scent Fan and badarun for all their generosity. That was great of you. I really appreciate it, and I'm so happy to have had this wonderful opportunity.

ZAHD - Right away, I thought of something familiar -- a fruity, herbal drink named Zoco, a Spanish liquor made from sloe berries. It's red, and it tastes like herbal cherry medicine -- in a good way. I would gladly drink it instead of Nyquil when I have a cold and want to go to sleep with a smile on my face. Zahd is like that for me. It's a bittersweet, fruit cordial. It also smells salty, like a dry, red wine. The champaca absolute gives it a haylike scent that is outdoorsy and natural. The combination of notes is odd overall. I think I could get the same effect by dipping a cloth in wine and wearing it, exuding that fragrance as it evaporates, and it would cost far less.

GREV - Minty. Wintergreen. Cool spices. Grass. Clover. Sweet salve, like something in a tin to rub on your sore muscles. Refreshing and clean but ultimately more of an environmental scent and not a personal one to wear all day. This is lighter and more airy than the other Slumberhouse scents. It reminds me of aftershave. A sharp, dominant, bitter note cuts through the drydown like a knife. It's too jarring for me to enjoy.

FLOU - Purple iris flowers. Plus gardenia, jasmine, and lily. This is a feminine perfume full of heavy, sweet, narcotic florals. It does not smell like natural absolutes in the least. Rather, it is a synthetic reconstruction of an arbor hanging with drooping flowers, the scent of which swells to bursting in the summer air. The powdery pollen is intense. A neat trick for florals, but too strong for me to wear.

Gotta stop now. Wearing too many at once. Eeek.

Score: 1 for, 4 neutral, 3 against. I guess I'm not a Slumberhouse aficionado, but the one that I do like (Norne) I absolutely love.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 30th June 2014 at 03:15 AM.

Where are all the people on this thread? Have they dispersed? We need subscriptions!

BAQUE - This smells like part of Ore -- the hardwood mulch and resin that glows warmly-- without the edible caramel, chocolate, and booze. I find it soft and wearable. Fruit notes are faint, existing only as part of a flavored tobacco leaf. I'm pretty neutral on this, and I'd put it behind Ore, which takes a clear direction and has the feel of a "finished" product. I was surprised to find that Baque didn't predate Ore because it smells more like a prototype. Then again, deconstruction is an art form. So, think Ore-minus-gourmand, and you are well set to enjoy Baque.

MARE - Nix. Ghastly. Melon. Apple. Over-ripe tropical fruits plus the same "spoiled" or moldy note that I disliked in Pear + Olive. Sweet and rotten aroma. Fermenting compost pile of fruit. Why does no one else mention fruit? It's a sweet-tart fruit like mango or berries. It's powerful and watery like Calone. It's a melange of tart fruits left in the sun too long. Other people are calling this green. My definition of green is galbanum, tomato leaf, violet leaf, shiso, green tea, grass, cilantro, and some of the mints. This does not say "leaves" to me. Where are people finding notes for this? Regardless; whatever it is, it's not to my liking.

SOVA - Heavy, syrupy. Molasses. Lots of hay absolute is in this -- and that is a complex aroma. Fermented tobacco. Animalic, fecal or leather notes. Brown and oozing. It's pleasant because I like the smell of hay in the sun, but it's difficult because hay absolute is denser and sweeter than hay in real life -- drying in the air. This is moist, raisin-like, concentrated scent. I give it points for boldness, creative kudos for working with hay absolute, one of the most distinctive aromas in the world.

EKI - Dry, woody. Sunflower seed shells. Razor-sharp, metallic edge. Clashing sweet, jammy notes. Off-putting combination lacking in harmony. Horrible. More nose-wrinkling and frowning.

ORE EDP - Didn't see this one, or I would have done a side-by-side with Ore extrait. I like the extrait better. The EDP is more blended with far less of the whiskey notes and weaker caramel. It resembles and amber, cocoa, patchouli scent and is far less unique than the extrait.

I am moving Ore extrait to the "like" section. I'm not giving a separate rating to the Ore EDP.

2 for (Norne, Ore)
    5 neutral (Vikt, Baque, Sova, Zahd, Flou)
    5 against (Pear + Olive, Grev, Jeke, Mare, Eki)
    Last edited by purplebird7; 30th June 2014 at 09:34 PM.

I'm going to keep going because I want to find another Slumberhouse fragrance to fall in love with. Here are my final three. Will I make another emotional match?

KERE - Nope. Immortelle overdose? Maple syrup. Pancakes and waffles. Then a nutty note. Almond? Hazelnut? Not gourmand, though. Light scent, strong diffusion. I can smell this in the air around me better than on my application site. The immortelle note is wavering and i get a brief whiff of the phantom, cherry-like note in almond extract and maybe some anise. Not my thing.

SANA - Another diffusive scent. Lightly floral, salty, soapy. As non-tactile as an electric current or ozone. This is a miss. It's ho-hum.

Oh, gosh. That leaves only one more chance to find romance.

RUME - Prunes. Fruitcake. Mincemeat pie. Rum. Candied citrus peel. This registers as gourmand. Red wine note, or fermented grapes. Honeyed labdanum. I like it, but I'm not falling hard for it.

2 for (Norne, Ore)
    6 neutral (Vikt, Baque, Sova, Zahd, Flou, Rume)
    7 against (Pear + Olive, Grev, Jeke, Kere, Sana, Mare, Eki)

Note: Those are the order in which I liked them.

That's my take on Slumberhouse: Unique fragrances, bold aromas not designed to please everybody. In fact, I feel that this house has succeeded in its intent because I do love Norne, and I like Ore. The rest of the fragrances appeal to other people, all of whom are justified in their preferences. This was an extremely fun series of reviews.

Thank you to Scent Fan and badarun. I'm much obliged. When we are all finished with the sample pass, may I request that the sprayers with remaining juice be returned to them? If everyone else uses as little as I have, there should be fragrance remaining. Deadidol, may we rely on you for guidance in this matter?
    Last edited by purplebird7; 30th June 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Deadidol, may we rely on you for guidance in this matter?
    I'll do my best. I'm a little intermittent on here these days, but feel free to PM me if I can help.

These are great overviews. The ability to articulate appeal / dislike is important, and Slumberhouse is a line that I've personally found very hard to describe because the materials are so unusual and the compositions tend to be highly unorthodox. Critical / negative reviews are indeed useful—especially when they're thoughtful. My own experience with a few of these was that they're quite putrid, but the strange thing is that I've come around to many of them. Mare is that way for me—it does indeed smell like something's rotten, but if you imagine an environment of wet undergrowth and shrubbery, it really nails that space well. It's certainly not "pretty" but it's super evocative!

I would like to make one IMPORTANT POINT.

PLEASE check to see if the lids are screwed on after you spray. Even the action of removing the cap loosens them slightly. Check and double check every time you use them. Don't lay them down in the bag until you have tightened them gently -- every time, especially when you are done and ready to mail them.

Thank you to Scent Fan and badarun. I'm much obliged. When we are all finished with the sample pass, may I request that the sprayers with remaining juice be returned to them? If everyone else uses as little as I have, there should be fragrance remaining.
    Hope the pass is going on well - just came in to say that I would not require any remaining decants to be sent back - my thought would be to continue this to the next 2-3 people that wanted to be on the pass, but missed out...if they are still interested.

Hope whoever sniffed the entire bunch enjoyed them.
    Last edited by badarun; 30th June 2014 at 11:22 PM.

I agree, badarun. When we finally reach the last person, if there is still more in any of the sprayers, can that last person extend the pass to someone else?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'll do my best. I'm a little intermittent on here these days, but feel free to PM me if I can help.

These are great overviews. The ability to articulate appeal / dislike is important, and Slumberhouse is a line that I've personally found very hard to describe because the materials are so unusual and the compositions tend to be highly unorthodox. Critical / negative reviews are indeed useful—especially when they're thoughtful. My own experience with a few of these was that they're quite putrid, but the strange thing is that I've come around to many of them. Mare is that way for me—it does indeed smell like something's rotten, but if you imagine an environment of wet undergrowth and shrubbery, it really nails that space well. It's certainly not "pretty" but it's super evocative!

I tried these with PurpleBird. I will post my reviews shortly. I feel I should preface them by saying that I am sure Josh is a perfectly nice, well-meaning person and perfumer. I have nothing against him as a person. I, personally, do not respond in a positive way to this line. They do not make my perfume experience any the richer for having tried them. In general I had a negative reaction to virtually all of the scents and declined to try them on. Thus saving a spray for the next person. Overall I found them heavy-handed and plastic tinged with chemical based notes that leapt out and assaulted my nasal passages. The general descriptions follow. I only wish I could have been more enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Overall I found them heavy-handed and plastic tinged with chemical based notes that leapt out and assaulted my nasal passages.
    And the irony is that they're the exact opposite! These are some of the most rare and expensive perfume materials in use, many of which are incredibly high quality naturals costing thousands of dollars per kilo. Synthetics are designed in the lab to smell much more pretty—which is why they're used almost exclusively in mainstream and mass produced perfume (that, and they're generally cheap), but less processed natural materials can be somewhat rough. Check out CBIHP Rare Flowers line and you'll see what I mean. Those are simply natural extractions in water (profoundly expensive at $500 per bottle as well), but they certainly won't appeal to someone who likes more polished perfumes. I doused myself in his Narcissus the other day (at a store) and it was a tough ride!

Something like Mare which is composed of some of the most evocative vetiver and orris materials available (it's probably the go-to orris as far as naturals go), is reflecting nature in a way that a chemical perfume could never even touch. The same can be said for Norne which is composed entirely of absolutes. Different strokes, really.
    Last edited by deadidol; 1st July 2014 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Pear & Olive- Linden blossom with a plastic-tinged swamp note.

Baque- Amber and dust. Least offensive.

Jeke- Just like the first guy I ever kissed who was chewing tobacco- disgusting.

Zahd- 'Kool-Aid', Cherry Coke and Cherry cough syrup.

Vikt-
    A health drink or an amateurish homage to Estée Lauder's 'Private Collection'. This was tolerable but not wonderful. Did not upset my stomach.

Ore- 'PG- Aomassai'
    without the subtlety or complexity. Too much burnt sugar.

Norne- Straight up pine tree and turpentine. PurpleBird had a big smear of this goop on her wrist. It was still dark green and sticky an hour later. We had to use alcohol and soap to remove it. Where is the IFRA when you need them? Who would put this on their skin?

Sova- Old newspapers and mold (sorry but that's what my notes say).

Rume- Sweaty, fermented acrid chemicals. A dense, tarry effect.

Grev- This smelled of marine notes- exactly as if someone had poured 'Cool Water' into 'Royal Water'. Not good.

Mare- Mold from a Petri dish- a failed experiment on a used sponge.

Kere- Pumpkin sweetened with candy corn and syrup.

Flou- (The name cracks me up) this is dreadful; plastic flowers. Very synthetic.

Eki- Crayons, plastic doll heads and burning wax.

Sana- Cat pee and Mr. Clean (ammonia).

So that's the run down. I hope you don't kick me out of Base Notes now. I just have to tell it like I see it.

I agree, badarun. When we finally reach the last person, if there is still more in any of the sprayers, can that last person extend the pass to someone else?
    Yes - that I think will be a good option than returning...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    And the irony is that they're the exact opposite! These are some of the most rare and expensive perfume materials in use, many of which are incredibly high quality naturals costing thousands of dollars per kilo. Synthetics are designed in the lab to smell much more pretty—which is why they're used almost exclusively in mainstream and mass produced perfume (that, and they're generally cheap), but less processed natural materials can be somewhat rough. Check out CBIHP Rare Flowers line and you'll see what I mean. Those are simply natural extractions in water (profoundly expensive at $500 per bottle as well), but they certainly won't appeal to someone who likes more polished perfumes. I doused myself in his Narcissus the other day (at a store) and it was a tough ride!

Something like Mare which is composed of some of the most evocative vetiver and orris materials available (it's probably the go-to orris as far as naturals go), is reflecting nature in a way that a chemical perfume could never even touch. The same can be said for Norne which is composed entirely of absolutes. Different strokes, really.

I truthfully have have no knowledge of or interest in how the fumes are constructed. All I care about is the end product. It just doesn't make it for me. Maybe all the super-duper concentrated stuff is what causes it to have that "over the top" effect in the end. It's maybe too strong for me. All I know is I don't dig it.

Perhaps it's time for a quick update so people can actually see what's in this stuff. I wrote one of these up somewhere else, but I'm not sure where it went. Here's a brief note breakdown of some of the key players to give you a more solid sense of what's going on in these scents and to help minimize any misinformation about the use of materials. Many of these materials tend to throw people off guard because they're largely natural extractions in which the material isn't polished or primped, but is kept in its most natural form. A number of these materials come from sources such as White Lotus and John Steele, but others are much harder to find sadly. The only scent that really relies on synthetics is Grev—the rest are largely naturals with synthetics used as support.

Pear & Olive: Zdravets, Cognac, Massoia, Pear

Baque: Vanilla, Tobacco, Ambergris, Apricot, Resins

Jeke: Lapsang Souchong, Patchouli, Tobacco, Benzoin, Clove

Zahd: Cranberry Concrete, Champa, Mysore Sandalwood, Attars, Various florals.

Vikt: Mysore Sandalwood, Anise, Stryax, Laurel, Ravensara, Incense, Black Agar

Ore: Mysore, Cocoa, Oakwood, Mahogany, Whiskey Lactone, Balsams and Resins

Norne: Hemlock, Lichen, Fern, Oakmoss, Incense

Sova: Hay, Beeswax, Tonka, Broom, Black Locust, Sweet Clover, Hops, Poplar

Rume: Bay Leaf, Myrrh, Labdanum, Mulled Fruits, Spices

Grev: Clove, Birch Leaf, Orris, Balsams, Fir resins,

Mare: Orris, Vetiver, Watery Notes

Kere: Caramel, Apricot, Immortelle

Flou: Grapes, Honey, Gardenia

Eki: Jasmine, Magnolia

Sana: Rasberry Leaf, Magnolia, Marigold, Suede

Also, as the perfumer would point out, these are to be worn. Smelling them on paper strips isn't smelling them at all as the naturals are far too complex. I've tried this myself several times, and the experience of wearing them on skin versus smelling them on a piece of paper is completely different. Anyhow, just wanted to clarify a little bit about what's in these things for anyone who might be interested in checking out the line.
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd July 2014 at 04:38 AM.

I truthfully have have no knowledge of or interest in how the fumes are constructed. All I care about is the end product. It just doesn't make it for me. Maybe all the super-duper concentrated stuff is what causes it to have that "over the top" effect in the end. It's maybe too strong for me. All I know is I don't dig it.
    Makes perfect sense to me! These are very challenging scents, and certainly not designed for mass appeal. I wear them in very small doses myself!
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd July 2014 at 12:34 AM.

Sana- Cat pee and Mr. Clean (ammonia).
    Anything but what's stated inho - having used Ammonia a lot in my lab days, I'm quite used to the stench & Sana isn't anywhere close to ammonia or to it's stench.

With no disrespect, I've heard you put down this house quite a few times in the past, so having such a mindset, why try anything at all from this house. Wonder what your motive is?

Now I'm in no way associated with this house or any other & my general liking of this house (equally along with Amouage / Guerlain & few others) are probably well known on the male discussion threads - but this is still a business house selling something & I base my reaction solely on the product being sold.

Sana & cat pee? You can be better than that Kumquat...I respect your views & don't expect such a low comment from you, be it for Slumberhouse or any other house.

Blog Entries

What sort of motive could I have for liking one house or fragrance and not another? Could it be that I am an individual with individual taste? You just don't happen to agree with me.

If I pick up ammonia, then I give a description. Sorry.
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd July 2014 at 02:06 AM.