Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'm not sure that a source of funds is relevant to the perfumer's achievement. I have a few Strange Invisibles and have been happy with them. I don't know about the lawsuit that keeps coming up here. It wouldn't surprise me if a person tried to protect their products in this very competitive field.

What about Ajne? Those are also very high in 'natural' elements. At least I had that impression. They are rich and wonderful to my nose. I tried to get folks interested in them a while back but there wasn't much response. I never knew why.
    Sadly, the lawsuit was a malicious attempt to destroy the competition more than anything and was followed by an attempt to cover up what was done. Completely disgraceful. Be careful when and where you use the word "strange" to avoid the backlash of daddy's team of lawyers! :P

I don't know Ajne at all, and now I'm interested! It looks like a massive line, so I'll have to do some research.

The reason I mentioned JAR earlier is because those are scents that present natural elements as they actually exist in nature as well—and they're not pretty! Jardenia is awesome, but it really had a fungal quality to it, and some of the others are super animalic. I'm always fascinated by people's impressions of perfumery when they're exposed to more faithful extractions—JAR is great for that!

Blog Entries

Deadidol, your prejudice against this company/woman reminds me of a time when I was showing my new car to a friend. I had Frank Sinatra on the stereo. My friend couldn't understand how I could listen to his music since he was an immoral person. He cavorted with the mob and was a womanizer. I was just cruising in my new ride listening to "Come Fly With Me" and she was killing my buzz. What is the point of that? What has any of that got to do with the end product? It seems you are taking this very personally. I put some SVP on an hour ago and it is wafting beautifully, BTW. (Trapeze) I am going to wear these more often I've neglected them lately.

Deadidol, your prejudice against this company/woman reminds me of a time when I was showing my new car to a friend. I had Frank Sinatra on the stereo. My friend couldn't understand how I could listen to his music since he was an immoral person. He cavorted with the mob and was a womanizer. I was just cruising in my new ride listening to "Come Fly With Me" and she was killing my buzz. What is the point of that? What has any of that got to do with the end product? It seems you are taking this very personally.
    I separate the scents from the behavior, but as a fan of indie perfumery—and a huge advocate of independent artistry in general—it just bums me out when I see one line seek to destroy/silence another simply because their work doesn't get the same recognition—it strikes me as a poor form of competition to try and break the legs of the opposition rather than develop the skills necessary to compete (not that I see competition as playing any role in perfumery, although SIP apparently do). As scents, the line is a let down for me: obnoxiously priced, gimmicky, and poorly constructed—which is a shame as the basic ideas are there and the materials are exceptional. I'd tried most of the scents long before I learned how she treats people and what's behind the "proprietary" facade. My sincere hope is that she starts to work with other perfumers or maybe develop a better capacity for fixing her blends so that they can become stand out perfumes—which is what they deserve to be.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th July 2014 at 04:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I separate the scents from the behavior, but as a fan of indie perfumery—and a huge advocate of independent artistry in general—it just bums me out when I see one line seek to destroy/silence another simply because their work doesn't get the same recognition—it strikes me as a poor form of competition to break the legs of the opposition rather than develop the skills necessary to compete. As scents, the line is a let down for me: obnoxiously priced, gimmicky, and poorly constructed—which is a shame as the basic ideas are there and the materials are exceptional. I'd tried most of the scents long before I learned how she treats people and what's behind the "proprietary" facade. My sincere hope is that she starts to work with other perfumers or maybe develops a better capacity for fixing her blends so that they can become stand out perfumes—which is what they deserve to be.
    One man's opinion. Not enough recognition for Slumberhouse? Now I've heard everything!

One man's opinion. Not enough recognition for Slumberhouse? Now I've heard everything!
    Well not really. What went down wasn't opinion at all—it was widely discussed by perfumers at the time and quite factual. In fact, I think the Olympic Orchid's report of the lawsuit is still floating around somewhere. The motivation for the attack was that Slumberhouse had too much recognition (the actual claim was made that SIP was losing sales because customers kept on accidentally ordering Slumberhouse perfumes instead of hers—that her clients were confused by two brands both using the word "strange" in their scent descriptions).

But yes, my reading of the scents and their construction is strictly my opinion—well, alongside the opinion of the SAs and the perfumer herself, hence keep on applying throughout the day.

Anyhow, we should probably get back to the discussion at hand. It's always fascinating to consider other perfumers working with the higher end materials, and I hope more people will explore these kind of lines in detail and decide for themselves.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th July 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Blog Entries

I certainly don't need a lawyer to tell me whether or not a perfume suits my taste.

Edit- 2 hours later and 'Trapeze' still smells beautiful.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th July 2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Well not really. What went down wasn't opinion at all—it was widely discussed by perfumers at the time and quite factual. In fact, I think the Olympic Orchid's report of the lawsuit is still floating around somewhere. The motivation for the attack was that Slumberhouse had too much recognition (the actual claim was made that SIP was losing sales because customers kept on accidentally ordering Slumberhouse perfumes instead of hers—that her clients were confused by two brands both using the word "strange" in their scent descriptions)...
    But actually that is the whole point of trademarking something -- to protect the investment in your name, and to prevent customers from being confused. And you have to enforce it. Put yourself in the owner's place: if she thinks someone is violating her trademark, is she supposed to sit back and let them? Be a "good sport"? I don't think that's fair. She's running this as a business. And so are her competitors.

My guess is this: as lovely a product as perfume is, the business of perfume is no different than any other business, and all of the business owners look at it that way.

I did a quick Google search, and I think perhaps there might be a mis-remembering of what prompted the threat of litigation. It doesn't look like SIP sued (or more likely threatened litigation with a cease and desist letter) merely because Slumberhouse used the word "strange" somewhere. Their slogan seems to have been "Slumberhouse -- Strange and Unique Perfumes"; see it here in his logo. One can, without necessarily agreeing with the contention, or thinking it was done on purpose, see how that looks similar to Strange Invisible Perfumes. And she had a trademark, and he didn't.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Strange Invisible Perfumes or their owner. I have never tried the brand, and given the prices someone quoted above, I never will. I have bought and worn five or six Slumberhouse perfumes. I don't know anything about the owner of Slumberhouse either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    But actually that is the whole point of trademarking something -- to protect the investment in your name, and to prevent customers from being confused. And you have to enforce it. Put yourself in the owner's place: if she thinks someone is violating her trademark, is she supposed to sit back and let them? Be a "good sport"? I don't think that's fair. She's running this as a business. And so are her competitors.

My guess is this: as lovely a product as perfume is, the business of perfume is no different than any other business, and all of the business owners look at it that way.

I did a quick Google search, and I think perhaps there might be a mis-remembering of what prompted the threat of litigation. It doesn't look like SIP sued (or more likely threatened litigation with a cease and desist letter) merely because Slumberhouse used the word "strange" somewhere. Their slogan seems to have been "Slumberhouse -- Strange and Unique Perfumes"; see it here in his logo. One can, without necessarily agreeing with the contention, or thinking it was done on purpose, see how that looks similar to Strange Invisible Perfumes. And she had a trademark, and he didn't.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Strange Invisible Perfumes or their owner. I have never tried the brand, and given the prices someone quoted above, I never will. I have bought and worn five or six Slumberhouse perfumes. I don't know anything about the owner of Slumberhouse either.
    Yeah, that's kind of how this went down. At first it was cease and desist using a mysterious armchair lawyer with a PO Box and no discernible validity, but then the case became more public and was widely mocked as ridiculous. That's when the bigger lawyers were wheeled in and everything went quiet after that. It's somewhat common practice to try and take out the little guy who has no defense against a massive legal force—especially within the arts. And you're right that although it might seem strange to claim copyright an English word in a sentence, if you have the money and the legal team to do so, anything's possible. The word was never an official part of Slumberhouse material—it was simply used in a place on the website, and apparently this was enough for SIP to lose significant business as her customers kept on "accidentally" ordering Slumberhouse perfumes instead of SIP (you'd think that the $700 price difference might tip people off, but apparently not!). Let's just say it's a good thing that they on;y deciding to threaten over the word "strange" as opposed to "perfumes" as they'd have a lot of work on their hands suing everyone!

Anyhow, as far as trying SIP goes, I'd recommend it if you're ever close to the showroom. They're certainly evocative, but I'd suggest that they're far more invisible than they are strange :P

Anyhow, back to the sample pass
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th July 2014 at 06:08 PM.

Blog Entries

https://www.siperfumes.com/collection

Since you keep bringing it up- there appears to be exactly ONE offering in the exorbitant $800 range, and that is for 100 ml. True, these are expensive. I seem to remember paying $225 for 1/4 oz parfum I don't see those offered. Maybe they are here somewhere. My Parfums have held up very well even though they are at least 5 years old. But there are billions of King-sized price structures in the perfume world. (Clive Christian, JAR, Amouage, Bond) Why obsess on this one? Anyway, back to the overkill approach of 'Slumberhouse'.

I think that those members actually involved in the pass should be the ones posting here, preferably describing their impressions of the items concerned - which is, after all, the topic and purpose here.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I think that those members actually involved in the pass should be the ones posting here, preferably describing their impressions of the items concerned - which is, after all, the topic and purpose here.
    Are you saying I shouldn't be involved? I did smell these. I smelled them on Purplebird. I also wore a few of them myself.

Are you saying I shouldn't be involved? I did smell these. I smelled them on Purplebird. I also wore a few of them myself.
    As someone who was not officially involved in the pass, kumquat, I think that you may have contributed your share.

Basenotes Plus

Agreed. That was my whole intention with getting the thread back up. I was not looking for discussions about how some people dislike Frank Sinatra, how it's cool to charge $8 per ml because other people do it, or how Slumberhouse is super amazing (there is another thread for that). This was strictly to post and discuss opinions about the individual fragrances included in the pass.

Thanks, juanderer - off topic posts here will be deleted in future as anywhere else on site.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Agreed. That was my whole intention with getting the thread back up. I was not looking for discussions about how some people dislike Frank Sinatra, how it's cool to charge $8 per ml because other people do it, or how Slumberhouse is super amazing (there is another thread for that). This was strictly to post and discuss opinions about the individual fragrances included in the pass.
    And I must confess that my attempts to straighten out misinformation didn't go as planned and I don't think I've helped get things back on track as effectively as I might have. Apologies to those involved in the pass, and if anyone has questions about what's in these scents, I'm more than happy to respond via PM or what have you. For the remaining members of the pass, enjoy!

Blog Entries

I agree. Sorry we veered.

Thanks for your help, deadidol.

We shall be looking forward to impressions from the next samplers in due course.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks everyone. I'm not claiming to be the perfect on-topic poster, but let's reel the discussion back in to the sample pass as much as possible.

By the way, I am currently wearing Eki. I shall be posting my notes on it soon.

Thank you, juanderer - looking forward to it!

Basenotes Plus

Eki, to me, opens effervescent and lemony. There is a salty quality to it, too, and I get a vibe of old-school powdered laundry detergent. In fact, it throws me back a few years to the days when I’d help my mom set the washer up in the Summer.

As the fragrance wears on, there are white flowers and a tiny bit of resins that become more and more apparent and one realizes that there were hiding in the background and slowly pushing forth all along. The effervescense I mentioned earlier plays with the florals to make that “millions of miniature white flowers” effect happen.

I feel like there might be some sandalwood in the base that lends the subtle sweetness in the composition.

Overall this is a seemingly simple, easy-to-wear, fragrance that one can wear without thinking about it as it doesn’t exactly demand your attention. Imagine a just-washed white linen hanging from a clothesline in a wide open field. The sun is bright, and the breeze is perfect. In terms of color, I would say this one’s all white with a little green along the edges.

If you like Creed’s Millesime Imperial, this will be right up your alley… if you can find it.

P.S.: Eki is not in the fragrance directory.

Thank you, juanderer - I missed out on most of the old ones but gather that they were quite different to the current ones in various ways.

If anyone knows the release date for Eki, please pm & we will submit details for inclusion in the Directory.

Eki, to me, opens effervescent and lemony. There is a salty quality to it, too, and I get a vibe of old-school powdered laundry detergent. In fact, it throws me back a few years to the days when I’d help my mom set the washer up in the Summer.

As the fragrance wears on, there are white flowers and a tiny bit of resins that become more and more apparent and one realizes that there were hiding in the background and slowly pushing forth all along. The effervescense I mentioned earlier plays with the florals to make that “millions of miniature white flowers” effect happen.

I feel like there might be some sandalwood in the base that lends the subtle sweetness in the composition.

Overall this is a seemingly simple, easy-to-wear, fragrance that one can wear without thinking about it as it doesn’t exactly demand your attention. Imagine a just-washed white linen hanging from a clothesline in a wide open field. The sun is bright, and the breeze is perfect. In terms of color, I would say this one’s all white with a little green along the edges.

If you like Creed’s Millesime Imperial, this will be right up your alley… if you can find it.

P.S.: Eki is not in the fragrance directory.
    Nice write up on Eki! I think I have a sample somewhere that was oh so graciously given to me, but I don't think I ever wore it (I might have misplaced it). I do ,however, really like Flou, as it is sort of a "Reflection Man but with more grape" kind of scent to me. My mom is also a big fan, but I just can't ever seem to track down a bottle, let alone one at a reasonable price.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Where has everyone gone?

It's a good thing I paid extra for Priority Mail with tracking included because I was able to find out if it went missing. I checked on this package, and it was delivered on July 7th. Here it is, 17 days later, and we haven't heard a thing back from kbf1972, even though I made prior contact with him to make sure he had enough time to participate in this sample pass. I have never seen such a poorly-handled project due to the inconsideration of its participants. I'm outta here.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 24th July 2014 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Those samples were huge. I would still like to hear from Remik. We need to have feedback from kbf1972 and he needs to send the samples on. More people could certainly chime in later. If kbf1972 is stumped, he's had enough time to decide if he likes or doesn't, then it's time for the next opinion.

Basenotes Plus

I think I'm next on the list. I'm PM'ing my mailing address to the person ahead of me now.

I've sampled a few Slumberhouse releases so far (couldn't wait 8 months, lol, ordered samples of the ones that sounded the most interesting), but would love to try the rest of them, of course. I promise to be quick, won't hoard these for weeks or months. ;-)

Thanks, remik - look forward to hearing more

Basenotes Plus

I am not part of the sample pass, but I have just started to test these, thanks to the very generous Ipp, who sent me a lovely box of Slumberhouse samples to try out! I bought Norne myself from Indiescents because Ipp warned me that she was missing that one. I hope you all don't mind me posting here as I go along. Here is my review on Norne:

Somewhere between dark green and black, the color of this juice announces its sinister intentions ahead of time. This stuff stains. It feels sticky where you sprayed it, like getting pine sap on your fingers, or tar. This is what it smells like, too. Fir balsam served straight up, crushed pine needles underfoot, the camphor and tar of a dark forest jostling around you. For a bit you even think “Christ, will I be able to breathe?” You will. Just wait.

The openings to such fragrances are often unfriendly. Pine sap, fir, tar, smoke, camphor – these are all notes that are all best taken in small doses. Here you get a full whack of them, all at once.

But soon, the resinous top notes loosen up a bit, your lungs contract and you gulp in a big breath of fresh air….aaah! As your head clears, you begin to notice other notes emerging from the blackness. Focusing, you can identify the bitter peel of a lemon or an orange – or perhaps this is just the slight citric edge that frankincense has. But if there is incense here, it is the cold, ashy remains of incense tears left in the censer and not incense that is still burning.

There is a very prominent sweet note now, almost candied, which plays off nicely against the grassy, herbaceous notes emerging also at this time. This reminds me strongly of the part in Parfums de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense where the grapefruit rind plays off against the trampled grasses and hays. It’s very clever, this play between bitter and sweet, coniferous and herbaceous. There is also something here that reminds me of hashish resin – grassy, resinous, sticky. There are some points of intersection here with transitory cannabis notes in House of Matriarch’s Blackbird and Parfumerie Generale’s Coze, although, in general, outside of the pot references and the “great outdoors” feel, not much else connects these perfumes.

More than anything, this scent conjures up a photorealistic image of a pine forest at high altitudes. It is quite linear. You get a pine forest in all its glory, and not much else. But that’s more than ok with me. It reminds me of the pine forests up in the North of Montenegro, specifically the National Park of the Black Lake. We go there, my family and me, almost every year to escape the oppressive heat of the city: Norne reminds me of that moment when we step out of the car and into the deep green silence of the forest. The first gulp of that fresh, piney, cold air is simply intoxicating.

But, although my forest is a sun-lit and Mediterranean, Norne is a chilly fantasy of dark forests in Scandinavia and Russia. There is a spooky, moody feel to it that would suit Goths down to the ground. It is somewhat reminiscent of Annick Goutal’s Encens Flamboyant, which also combines fir balsam and incense, but Norne is greener, more resin-y and outdoorsy. The Goutal is as much about the church as it is the forest; Norne is an unapologetically pagan prayer to Mother Forest.

Another natural point of comparison is Serge Lutens’ Fille En Anguilles. But while the Lutens creation takes pine and spins it off into an orientalist’s fantasy of Orthodox churches, dried fruits, and booze, Norne feels cool and reserved. Filles en Anguilles is off in the corner smoking a hookah while Norne is like, totally emo, in its no logo t-shirt and Fair-trade coffee. The start to Norne had me wincing, but by the dry down, I had really grown to appreciate it. I am not sure if I would wear this one much, because it seems so oddly specific to a time and place (the forest). But I really enjoyed testing it out, and all the more because this was my first foray into Slumberhouse. All in all, an excellent start to my exploration of this daring and avant-garde indie house!
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

ClaireV, GREAT review.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    ClaireV, GREAT review.
    Thanks so much! I really enjoyed testing it, although I was a bit nervous I wouldn't be able to describe it well enough!
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Keep 'em coming!

Great review thanks, Claire - looking forward to hearing your impressions of the others (which are all the new extrait versions).
    Last edited by lpp; 25th July 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Fab review Clare - glad you're enjoying the line so far. I'm a huge fan, myself.
    Look forward to your thoughts on the other samples!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks guys! Well, today it is the turn of Ore!

This is a review of the newer Ore extrait version – thank you Ipp for this generous sample and for letting me know which version it was that I am testing! Well, this is an interesting one. I have had to put it on several times over the past couple of days just to get an accurate read. I have to say upfront that this is not really my kind of thing. There are aspects of it that I do like and appreciate, and aspects that prevent me from completely enjoying it.

Let’s start with the things I liked first. The thing I appreciate most about this perfume is that it has layers and layers of textures that seem to shift back and forth. It is noticeably dusty and chalky up top, smelling like raw cocoa powder to my nose, but simultaneously I notice a balsamic, creamy texture underneath. The textures seem to shift and morph under your nose – at times, it is purely dry and earthy, at others, it is purely waxy and creamy. This interplay of textures keeps things interesting.

Also, smelling this blind the first time, I thought I could smell a very interesting note of either leather or wood that has been massaged with a wax or oil. It kind of felt like an old library where the ancient furniture and books have been lovingly taken care of over the course of years and years. Again, it was probably that strange interplay of dust, earth, wax, and oil creating that impression. But once I had read the notes for Ore, strangely enough, I didn’t get the waxed leather or wood impression on any of my subsequent wearings.

Either way, that brings me to the other strong point I see in Ore, which is its extraordinary balance between gourmand notes and non-gourmand notes. It is creamy and comforting, but not edible. Certainly, it is not sweet. I appreciate that.

Now to the aspects of this that I don’t quite warm to. First off, although the dusty cocoa notes are unsweetened, they are also not dark. What I mean to say is that I get a milk chocolate vibe to this, not the good, dark, expensive stuff. If I am going to enjoy chocolate in a scent, then it has to be the black, bitter kind (like the one in Coze) that plays up the adults-only edge, or else a creamy, powdery presence that is there only to provide a textural contrast to the damp earthiness of patchouli (like in Coromandel). Here, the milk chocolate note is not really balanced by anything bitter or earthy. Instead, the inherent waxiness of milk chocolate is somehow matched by the waxiness or oiliness of the balsamic woods underneath, so there is nothing to really punctuate the sea of bland, creaminess.

Also, there’s a bit of an “off” quality to the chocolate note here. What this type of chocolate note most reminds me of is a bar of milk chocolate that has spoiled, perhaps in the heat, perhaps from being abandoned down the back of the sofa for too long – but when you open the wrapper, the edges of the chocolate has gone all grey-white and chalky. If you’ve ever put such a sorry-looking bar of chocolate in your mouth to taste (don’t judge!) then you will understand what I mean when I say that it is, all at once, dusty, stale, chewy, waxy, and yet, somewhere lurking underneath, there is a glimpse of the true taste of the original chocolate. Needless to say, the payoff is meager reward enough for trouncing through all that ephemera.

Maybe my lack of admiration for this, though, has more to do with the fact that I don’t love the smell of cocoa butter than anything else. If that is true, then forgive me and take my opinion with a pinch of salt (salt! Yes, that’s what this could do with, a big hit of sea salt or crunchy seaweed…or something!). I do find that Ore dries down to a rather simple, creamy, flat smell reminiscent of plain old Palmer’s Cocoa Butter. If that is something you like, then this will really hit all of your pleasure points. Personally, the smell of Palmer’s Cocoa Butter reminds me of being hugely pregnant last summer and having to rub tonnes of that greasy stuff over my big ole belly twice a day. So the smell of cocoa butter scented anything acts as a sort of unpleasant Proustian madeleine, conjuring up images of chafing thighs, waddling, and generally being unable to get out of a chair unless yanked up by the arm.

So, in general, a very long-lasting cocoa scent, semi-gourmand, brilliant use of different textures, and I can see how this might be very comforting, but ultimately not for me!
    Last edited by ClaireV; 29th July 2014 at 01:44 PM.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Fascinating review, Claire - thanks.
    Just added some of that cocoa butter stuff to my grocery order...

Interesting reviews!

I just have one question about Kere. Is it an immortelle fragrance or a fragrance using other notes to emulate immortelle? There appears to be conflicting information about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Interesting reviews!

I just have one question about Kere. Is it an immortelle fragrance or a fragrance using other notes to emulate immortelle? There appears to be conflicting information about it.
    Can't say for sure, but it really reads as immortelle to me. Strong as hell! It gives the original formulation of Sables a run for its money.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Can't say for sure, but it really reads as immortelle to me. Strong as hell! It gives the original formulation of Sables a run for its money.
    Hmm, from what I recall of my sample of Kere it was a saccharine sweet take on caramel and nuts mainly. Definitely gourmand-like. I can't say I recall immortelle, but it's been ages.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Hmm, from what I recall of my sample of Kere it was a saccharine sweet take on caramel and nuts mainly. Definitely gourmand-like. I can't say I recall immortelle, but it's been ages.
    Yea. Idk if it's actually in there, but it sure smells like it. I think there are a couple different formulations of this scent, so what you've tried could be different than what's in the sample pass.

Thanks.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 3rd August 2014 at 02:11 PM.

It appears from post #146 that remik is dealing with this.
    Last edited by lpp; 3rd August 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Previous post edited.

Thanks for the update, remik

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    KBF1972 just PM'd me yesterday that the samples have been mailed.... Aug.2... So I should be getting them this coming week. It's been a looooooong wait.
    Fingers crossed!

Basenotes Plus

Ok, guys, I would like to give you my thoughts on Zahd today. Sorry there are such long gaps between my reviews, but in general, I am having to test and re-test the Slumberhouse samples in order to get a handle on what I am smelling. They sure are complex, and not very easy to pass judgement on based on one wearing or a quick sniff, which I am probably guilty of half the time! Once again, thank you, Ipp, for providing me with the samples! I am really enjoying the process of making my way through them one at a time. I know Zahd is a particular favorite of yours (and of Danieq's, if she is still following this thread), but I have to say that I really didn't like this one at all. Oh well, more for you guys....(and lucky, since it is a limited edition, correct?)

I have given this one a few tries now, just to be fair, but now I feel comfortable in saying that Zahd is definitely not something I would ever wear. It opens on an almost offensively tarry, sticky note, like grape jam sizzling on a hot plate, or the spillage from a can of Cherry Coke that has dried on a bench. There is a dense “black” smell to the opening notes that I recognize from Norne, and it strikes me that all of the Slumberhouse offerings I have tried so far have this super-concentrated, tarry opening that feels ugly, pungent, and crowded. That leads me to conclude that none of these perfumes have traditional “curb appeal” and wouldn’t do well in department stores, where consumers make their choices based on the first few minutes of a scent. No, Slumberhouse stuff is strictly for die-hard perfume aficionados who have the patience to wait until the heart notes reveal themselves.

I have also noticed that while longevity is immense with Slumberhouse, in terms of sillage and concentration, the scents themselves tend to be very top-heavy, with the top of the scent packed to bursting with notes, and the rest of the scent thinning down considerably thereafter.

True to form, once the brutal opening loosens up and dissipates somewhat, Zahd gets much better. Well, more bearable, at least. The smell is very red and fruity – the notes say cranberry, which makes sense, because of that sweet-sour balance, but I also get grape and cherry aspects. It is simultaneously tart and sweet at first, but the scent soon sheds the sour accents and becomes ever more syrupy. At this point, it smells both tooth-achingly sweet and medicinal, like cherry cough syrup. It is a “cure-for-what-ails-you” type of smell, and one that will surely bring back slightly nauseous memories to anyone who has struggled through colds and coughs as a child.

It dries down to a base similar to the one in Ore – all creamy cocoa and beige woods. After the Bollywood explosion of notes in the top notes, the general drift towards these blond, creamy accents provides relief, like stepping into the darkened doorway off the side of an over-crowded souk. This is the bit I liked the best about Zahd, and if there was some way to get me here quicker, I’d take it. Mind you, since the base is strikingly similar to Ore, maybe I should give that one another try.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries

I agree, Claire. I think with Zahd ​Nag Champa is the over-the-top note that kills it for me.

True to form, once the brutal opening loosens up and dissipates somewhat, Zahd gets much better. Well, more bearable, at least. The smell is very red and fruity – the notes say cranberry, which makes sense, because of that sweet-sour balance, but I also get grape and cherry aspects. It is simultaneously tart and sweet at first, but the scent soon sheds the sour accents and becomes ever more syrupy. At this point, it smells both tooth-achingly sweet and medicinal, like cherry cough syrup. It is a “cure-for-what-ails-you” type of smell, and one that will surely bring back slightly nauseous memories to anyone who has struggled through colds and coughs as a child.

It dries down to a base similar to the one in Ore – all creamy cocoa and beige woods. After the Bollywood explosion of notes in the top notes, the general drift towards these blond, creamy accents provides relief, like stepping into the darkened doorway off the side of an over-crowded souk. This is the bit I liked the best about Zahd, and if there was some way to get me here quicker, I’d take it. Mind you, since the base is strikingly similar to Ore, maybe I should give that one another try.
    Agreed. Glad to see Basenotes are realizing Zahd isn't the "GLORY FRAGRANCE" the hype made it seem. It's cherry medicine in a perfume.

Yup, all the more Zahd for me - although the Palmer's (sadly) doesn't smell anything like Ore to me at any stage

IDK, maybe it's just my nose or my close proximity to where cranberries are grown, but I get no cherry in Zahd, just cranberry.

Me neither - adore cherries 'though

Ha ha Claire, indeed, more Zahd for Lpp and I! I very much enjoyed reading your reviews thus far though! Your review of Norne makes me anxious to try it more thoroughly. I've sniffed it, but not really given it a chance. I find I have a love/hate thing with forest scents.

Interestingly, the scent which most reminds of an actual forest is Arquiste Anima Dulcis, which really should not remind of a forest at all, but when I visit the Pacific Northwest forests, that is exactly what I get.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    IDK, maybe it's just my nose or my close proximity to where cranberries are grown, but I get no cherry in Zahd, just cranberry.

I'm with you OctaVariuM, I don't get even a hint of Cherry, or grape for that matter. For me, it's a waxy Cranberry which reminds me of Christmas. When I first tested it, I didn't think I'd end up liking it, but in time it's become a real favorite of mine and my hubby.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm with you OctaVariuM, I don't get even a hint of Cherry, or grape for that matter. For me, it's a waxy Cranberry which reminds me of Christmas. When I first tested it, I didn't think I'd end up liking it, but in time it's become a real favorite of mine and my hubby.
    Hi Danieq and OctaVarium,

The thing I can think to explain why I am getting cherries (and nobody else seems to be) is that I grew up in a country that wasn't at all familiar with cranberries. In fact, I don't think I ever saw a cranberry, be it fresh or dried, in Ireland until after 2000. So, I think my brain simply defaults to the nearest thing it can think of which is a cherry. Not similar, I agree, but there is a slight tart-sweet quality to both. Cherry notes in perfumes are, for me, a long way removed from the fresh fruit itself, because they mainly use the cherry pit as the note, which smells and tastes like bitter almonds. I'd imagine that fresh cranberries are more like the fresh flesh of a cherry, rather than the cherry pit smell (although considerably more sour). I don't know for sure, because I have only ever experienced cranberries in dried, candied form, the fresh version being extremely rare in my part of the world (I understand that their growing conditions are very specific and can only be grown where all the conditions for their cultivation are met).

It does seem that Zahd solicits strong opinions for and against - honestly, I hadn't read anything about it, and didn't know that it could be viewed as a divisive perfume. I only saw, after I posted my thoughts, that people either really love Zahd or really hate it. So, I hope I didn't offend or upset anyone in posting my review. I only wanted to say that Zahd is not to my personal taste, but I certainly wouldn't use a word as strong as "hate".
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Ok, guys, here are my thoughts on Sova! Boy, I really loved this one! Once again, thank you to the lovely Ipp for the sample. I really appreciate it, because I would not otherwise have the chance to try Slumberhouse out at all.

Oh my word, this is beautiful. Well, let me qualify that a bit – none of the Slumberhouse perfumes are conventionally attractive. But this one at least tempers the ugly/weird elements with the breathtakingly beautiful. This is the fourth Slumberhouse I’ve tested, but the first to really catch at my heart strings. I am still not sure that it is entirely wearable. But I sure would like a vial of this to sniff every now and then, just to remind myself that there are perfumers out there doing wild and crazy stuff in the name of art.

What I like about Sova is that Josh Lobb seems to have set out to capture the entirety of a farm during baling season, complete with the not-so-picturesque parts. As anyone who has grown up doing farm work will know, there are a host of smells involved, and not all of them pleasant. I have baled hay – back-breaking work, by the way, with or without a machine. I have mucked out horse stables. I have even stuck my hands deep within the nether regions of sheep to pull a lamb out. Nowhere are you more intensely aware of the circle of life than on a farm.

The opening, which I have come to understand as typical for a Slumberhouse, is deeply tarry, black, and sticky. But upfront, I get a load of hay absolute mixed in with the tar, so there is an immediate sense of sunshine piercing through the upper notes. It smells simultaneously of freshly-poured asphalt, hay, trampled grass, rubber tires, something green and resiny, waxy and honeyed.

The hot asphalt smell reminds me of nothing so much as those pools of poured tar on holes in the road that would always soften and almost liquefy somewhat in the heat of summer – I hope someone out there understands what I mean by that. In Ireland, growing up, there was maybe one day in the year that was ever hot enough to make the road tar all gooey like that, but that would be the smell that defined the whole summer for me, somehow – kind of like a child only ever remembers summers being sunny when he or she was a child. It also recalls the smell of heated hires and running tractors, farm implements lying around on a hot day – quasi-industrial smells mingling with the sweet smell of hay that has been cut and is now drying out in the fields. Also, I am picking up on a sweet, grassy note that is fresher than the hay note – I presume this is the clover.

Reversing what I've experienced thus far with Slumberhouse perfumes, Sova does not grow drier and more sparse, but indeed, darker, more syrupy, and somehow more “stewed” in texture. It is a very wet hay type of smell, which to my nose, is incredibly pleasing and sensual. The smell is almost like the gingerbread, dry, fruity, wet-dry smell of tobacco leaves laid out to dry in the sunshine. It also picks up a dried fruits feel, not a million miles away from the intense fruitcake feel of a Serge Lutens, specifically something like Arabie.

As the scent progresses, the petroleum and tar notes, the heated asphalt and running farm vehicles smell –all shift to the back and let the stewed hay and dried fruits accord take center stage. Towards the last stages of Sova, I sense the tar notes get drier, until they manifest more as a smoke note, adding to the fierce pleasure I get from smelling this. Something about hay and grass notes bring me straight back to summer days, to my youth, to the simple pleasures of hard physical work, and the rewards of sensory delights of rolling around in cut hay (with or without someone else – it’s a pleasure in and of itself).

I really love Sova. I wish I could find it somewhere to buy. Something tells me that this would be horrendously expensive to buy, though, even if I were to find it somewhere. So, I guess I will be content to keep this little vial (if IPP allows) and take it out for a little sniff every now and then. Sova is a wild ride, alright, a bit more intense and crazy than the other Slumberhouse scents I have tried thus far, but it manages to press all of my pleasure and memory buttons at once.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Glad you're enjoying Sova, Claire - they're yours to keep

Basenotes Plus

Glad you're enjoying Sova, Claire - they're yours to keep
    Aw, thanks Ipp! I am in love with Sova - it just keeps getting better and better on my skin.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

The hot asphalt smell reminds me of nothing so much as those pools of poured tar on holes in the road that would always soften and almost liquefy somewhat in the heat of summer – I hope someone out there understands what I mean by that.
    I know exactly what you mean! And your description of saying the perfume "stews" is great. I recently sold a bottle on here, hated to see it go.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I know exactly what you mean! And your description of saying the perfume "stews" is great. I recently sold a bottle on here, hated to see it go.
    Hi Noideawhatimsaying (great name by the way!),

Thanks! Do you mind me asking, why did you sell your bottle? I am trying to get clues as to whether Sova is wearable out in the real world.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

I don't see why not. Sova didn't really fit me well - a single note really bothered me and gave me migraines unfortunately. But, it is a beautiful scent. I think the key with Slumberhouse is how you wear them personally. They're so potent, I typically spray the back of my hand, dab together a few times....and dab my neck w/ the back of my hand as well....all w/ 1 big spray on the old bottles...sometimes 2 sprays w/ the newer bottles as the head of the atomizer has more control.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Sova is wearable out in the real world.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Hi Noideawhatimsaying (great name by the way!),

Thanks! Do you mind me asking, why did you sell your bottle? I am trying to get clues as to whether Sova is wearable out in the real world.
    Thanks

From my experience, and this is coming from a fan of the Fall, horror movies, haunted attractions, etc - it isn't wearable. While fully representative of the season, it's too pungent and offends many quite easily. I feel it's very appealing, but you have to LOVE its ingredients, and it's more appropriate of something to smell while walking into an area rather than have the smell come from you.

Claire, have you had a chance to smell Baque?