Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Yes - that I think will be a good option than returning...
    I'm the last person on the list, expecting to receive the dregs really, but if there is more left, I am happy to pass on to someone else who'd like to sniff.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    What sort of motive could I have for liking one house or fragrance and not another? Could it be that I am an individual with individual taste? You just don't happen to agree with me.
    If I pick up ammonia, then I give a description. Sorry.
    I should then send you a sample of ammonia so that you can smell the real stuff & not hypothesize.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I should then send you a sample of ammonia so that you can smell the real stuff & not hypothesize.
    Believe me, I know whereof I speak. I've lived with cats all my life. I'm sorry, but that is what it smells like to me.

It's humorous to me that my opinion is of such consequence. Who cares what a middle-aged woman in Nebraska thinks about a particular fragrance?
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd July 2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Believe me, I know whereof I speak. I've lived with cats all my life.
    It's humorous to me that my opinion is of such consequence. Who cares what a middle-aged woman in Nebraska thinks about a particular fragrance?
    It's much more humorous to an about to enter middle aged person in Canada that someone who has prophesied dislike for this house continues to enter comments abt the same. Why not just stay away if you dislike than to be part of this? Of course, this is a forum & anyone can say anything, but what happens with these types of statements is that people who respected you, including myself in the past, start to see true colors.

& again, there's no ammonia smell in Sana - think you are getting anosmic to everything except cats & cat generated odors...Luckily, I don't have any pets, so my nose is open to all other good smells from this house & all other houses.

Blog Entries

Ok, so there's no ammonia, maybe it's just acrid. It just didn't agree with me and we don't like the same thing. Jeez, I don't see what the big deal is.

Ok, so there's no ammonia, maybe it's just acrid. It just didn't agree with me and we don't like the same thing. Jeez, I don't see what the big deal is.
    The big deal is this - many, if not most know that you do not like this house, so why come back again & again to repeat your dislike in various forms? We all know it, thank you for repeating it again (as reviews this time) & hopefully for the last time.

Blog Entries

I have reviewed 3 of these scents once before. I didn't love them but I didn't praise them. Is that excessive criticism? Frankly I'm puzzled that you feel I'm somehow being overly critical of this house.

Anyway, WTH! I can like or not like what I want. Nighty-night.
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd July 2014 at 03:33 AM.

Okay everyone, let's move it along. Who's up next?

Hello everyone! This makes for very interesting reading for me, as I am dithering over ordering a small sample set of Slumberhouse from Indiescents. I think Danieq is next, Deadidol. I presume this is CONUS only? If there is anything left after Danieq tests them and she is willing to ship the samples abroad to me in Europe, I would happily pay for the shipping? Anyway, just putting my hat in the ring...Thanks
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe
    Currently wearing: Etra by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    I think Danieq is next
    If Danieq is next, then someone skipped some names on the list - including mine...?

Since this sample pass started, I've purchased or otherwise acquired samples of some Slumberhouse fragrances, so I have a decent general idea as to at least a few of them - but would still like to at least sniff the rest that are on this pass. Chances are I'll be done with them within couple days, probably record time, considering how slow it's been moving along... ;-)

Who has the vials now, and who's getting them next?
    Currently wearing: Furyo by Jacques Bogart

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

Perhaps we could stick to the running order here please.
    My post #28, repeated again below, refers.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Post transferred from previous thread for info.

Originally Posted by ScentFan
    So exciting, JiveHippo! I'll PM you my address, being next. Can't wait to smell the ones new to me, too. Many thanks for contributing! Here's the pass order again. Everyone be sure the person before you on the list has your mailing address.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

If there's anything left:
    danieq

Last edited by lpp; 2nd July 2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Blog Entries

I would like to mention that I was looking forward to reviewing these scents. I'm glad I was able to do so. It's too bad (I suppose) that we don't agree on whether they are wonderful or not. I had no pre-conceived notions about them. It seems ridiculous to infer that I should not have tried them because there was a possibility I wouldn't like them. Once again, as with all things scented "​Your mileage may vary".

I had no pre-conceived notions about them.
    Hmmm, really? I seem to remember you slamming SH before ever having smelled one of their fragrances. I also remember you making accusations of shilling based how they had become so popular in so little time. Be honest, you made up your mind about this company a long time ago. I'm not sure what your motive is, but even if you did like one of the fragrances, I wouldn't expect you to admit it.

Great reviews by the way.

Yes, that list shows the order that I'm following. I contacted KBF1972 by PM, and he is ready to do sampling and reviews.
    It's 60 degrees here today, so I think it is safe to put this package in the mail despite the delay that will occur on Friday due to the Fourth of July.
    Here it comes: Lids screwed tight, double boxing. Bon voyage!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Jive Hippo, what are your ulterior motives for loving this perfume even before you've smelled it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hmmm, really? I seem to remember you slamming SH before ever having smelled one of their fragrances. I also remember you making accusations of shilling based how they had become so popular in so little time. Be honest, you made up your mind about this company a long time ago. I'm not sure what your motive is, but even if you did like one of the fragrances, I wouldn't expect you to admit it.

Great reviews by the way.
    Slamming? I would like to have a chance to defend myself if you don't mind. I don't recall this incident and I don't believe it ever happened. Where is your proof?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3016190

I'm no prude. I just think it seems desperate and tacky. I showed it to my husband and even he was shocked that it was for perfume. I've never tried Slumberhouse and, frankly, now I'm really not interested. I doubt they are any different than most of the new, disappointing stuff that I've tried recently.
    What were you saying about preconceived notions, kumquat? Go ahead, defend yourself.

Blog Entries

I wasn't aware that you had to agree to adore and praise every sample you review here on BaseNotes. Where does it it say that it in the by-laws? Believe me, if I had had liked these I would have said so. It is bizarre that I am accused of having an ulterior motive in my dislike of these particular scents. What could it possibly be? Someone explain it to me, please? How do I profit by getting everyone all irritated and angry? I'm really sorry I just didn't like them. That is all.

Blog Entries

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3016190

What were you saying about preconceived notions, kumquat? Go ahead, defend yourself.
    The thread-" What puts you off about a house" should be a clue. Yes, I was definitely put off by the misogynistic advertising. Coincidently, the perfumes were also a disappointment.

Basenotes Plus

For what it's worth, JiveHippo, the quote you pulled out is out of context. Kumquat was making a point about the somewhat risqué artwork on SH web site and how that was turning her off (that thread title was "What puts you off about a house?" after all). The comments were not about fragrances themselves, just the artistic direction SH has taken to promote their products.

But this whole argument is pointless anyway, so let's just all be adults and drop it. You obviously like SH, kumquat does not. I personally dislike most SH releases as well, with the latest Zahd taking the top spot of my least liked ones. Are you going to accuse me of having a secret agenda, too? We all have our own noses, preferences, notes we like and dislike, no two of us are the same. Conspiracy theories that kumquat has a secret agenda to slam SH "for no reason" - come on, really...? So let's move along and back on topic, like adults.

Blog Entries

Thank-you, Remik. I am grateful for the chance to try these scents. I was not planning to order samples of them. Sorry they were not my taste

The quote is not out of context, remik. It clearly demonstrates that kumquat DID have preconceived notions about Slumberhouse long before she ever smelled any of the fragrances.

Blog Entries

The quote is not out of context, remik. It clearly demonstrates that kumquat DID have preconceived notions about Slumberhouse long before she ever smelled any of the fragrances.
    Just as you were certain you would love everything Josh makes, I suppose.

Basenotes Plus

Obviously you can't read, then. Her comments clearly stated the artwork on the web site seemed "desperate and tacky" and because of that, she was "not interested." She didn't slam the fragrances, just made a point - ON TOPIC for that thread - why their house turned her off. She obviously became at least little bit interested and decided to try them after all, but didn't find the fragrances appealing to her. Coincidence? Perhaps, but, methinks you are reading waaaaaaay too much into this.

Hippos generally have thick skin, but yours is obviously paper thin. Live and let live, dude. Take a chill-pill, or two (or the whole bottle, I don't know how many pills hippos can take at once). It's just freaking smelly water, not cure for cancer.

I'm not even going to bother addressing that, I give up.

I do like how you put your 2 cents in, plea for us to get back on topic and start behaving like adults, then proceed to insult my reading comprehension, and ability to take self criticism. Priceless.

Enjoy the samples.

Blog Entries

Thanks again, Remik.

FYI- I'm currently trying 15 new samples from LuckyScent and so far I haven't found one that I like.
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd July 2014 at 05:23 PM.

I think we have established that no one is shilling for anybody. This very interesting and enjoyable thread was going so well and you were almost back on track after a little bickering. Members are certainly allowed to have a critical opinion, but I thought the main point of this thread was to let the people in the sample pass chime in with their impressions. Could we get back to that, now?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Let's keep on the topic of the Slumberhouse scents themselves. We can all get a little protective over fragrances that we enjoy. Fact is, everyone is going to have a different opinion. The Slumberhouse line is full of evocative fragrances that aren't necessarily easy to enjoy for the masses and that's just the way it is.

What I find particularly interesting is that reading all of your reviews I've actually gravitated towards the non-popular fragrances within the Slumberhouse line. Rume, Vikt (both new & old) and Grev were probably my favorites - Baque too, but that one seems to be quite popular across the board...even with those that don't seem to enjoy the line as much.

Norne and Sova, arguably the two most popular scents from Slumberhouse were the most abrasive fragrances in the line that I tried. Each had a particular note that just didn't settle well with me.

Sova - the beeswax/castoreum/hay just really gave me a headache - literally - w/o that particular accord this one would have been a big hit with me, I had to sell my bottle due to headaches. To be fair with Sova, I bought the first bottle from Josh right when I got the email blast, I never did get to try the extrait...that accord may have been toned down a bit.

Norne - Honestly I don't know what it is with Norne, that pine tar and smoked green tree branch coupled with a spice that's almost potpourri-like (this potprourri-like accord occupies Rume as well...but I think that works better w/ the labdanum/bay IMO.) There's almost too much of a Christmas thing going on here, I think had their been more incense or oakmoss in Norne my sentiments would differ.

Zahd - Just didn't work with me. I think it's a well-done scent, no doubt...there are some really fine materials used in all of Josh's fragrances. Personally, I couldn't shake the cranberry/cocoa/wine and that's all it comes down to. This one was too gourmandish on me - on a woman, I think this would be intoxicating. I regret not buying my girlfriend a bottle when I had the chance.
    MadHat Scents

Atlas Incense II (Shou Sugi Ban, Cardamom, Tonka, Incense)/ Le Chance XVI (Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Warm Woods) / Røyk 90ML Remaining! (Incense, Woods, Amber) / Fur - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / BayWay - (Citrus, Musk, Coconut)

Basenotes Plus

Zahd is one of the most evocative of the line for me, rynegne, although it's easy to see how a lot of guys might not find that!

Maybe it's my advanced age or something but it really does remind me of happy times with lots of crushed velvet, etc., and it's one that I'm so grateful to have as it's very wearable here in all sorts of weather.

It's nice that these don't dry down to a generic synth base as so many new fragrances do these days.
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd July 2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php