Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Zahd is very evocative --- I remember thinking of a plush room within a large, but comfortable palace, somewhere in Arabia during the rise of an empire...the local women bring gifts of wine, fruits, rich loins and burnable resins to their royal princess.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Zahd is one of the most evocative of the line for me, rynegne, although it's easy to see how a lot of guys might not find that!

Maybe it's my advanced age or something but it really does remind me of happy times with lots of crushed velvet, etc., and it's one that I'm so grateful to have as it's very wearable here in all sorts of weather.
    MadHat Scents

Atlas Incense II (Shou Sugi Ban, Cardamom, Tonka, Incense)/ Le Chance XVI (Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Cedar & Sandalwood) / Fur - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / BayWay - (Citrus, Musk, Coconut) / Onsen (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu)

Blog Entries

I wore Zahd ​from a sample from a kind BNer. It is pretty and unusual but I grew tired of it. It is sweet and I wanted to be rid of it after an hour. It was so strong it was almost impossible to remove. I think it was just too linear for my taste. Generally I'm not a big fruit person anyway so the cherry and cranberries just didn't thrill me. As I say, that's just MY feeling on it.

Also, the nag champa is a deal-breaker note for me. Just too much. Too rich or something that doesn't sit right with me.
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd July 2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

I think this may be the issue for most people that try and dislike a majority of Slumberhouse fragrances. There are notes in some of the fragrances that are amped up the the Nth degree, if you don't like a particular note it's pretty hard to get past and pretty easy to write the fragrance off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I wore Zahd ​from a sample from a kind BNer. It is pretty and unusual but I grew tired of it. It is sweet and I wanted to be rid of it after an hour. It was so strong it was almost impossible to remove. I think it was just too linear for my taste. Generally I'm not a big fruit person anyway so the cherry and cranberries just didn't thrill me. As I say, that's just MY feeling on it.

Also, the nag champa is a deal-breaker note for me. Just too much. Too rich or something that doesn't sit right with me.
    MadHat Scents

Atlas Incense II (Shou Sugi Ban, Cardamom, Tonka, Incense)/ Le Chance XVI (Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Cedar & Sandalwood) / Fur - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / BayWay - (Citrus, Musk, Coconut) / Onsen (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu)

I generally try to stray away from Slumberhouse topics as I've been accused of being overly biased in the past since everyone here knows I love the house and I think Josh is a great person. That all being said, it is interesting that this thread has essentially become a perfect example of the line and how interesting it is.

I cannot personally think of another house that so frequently has these little bickering rants/fights/whatever you want to call them about their scents. Not to mention the fact that a lot of us who are fans of the house have very different opinions on a given fragrance. I cannot think of a single one that has been universally loved by Josh's fans (Sova, Zahd, and Norne all came up on this one page as not being right for some of us). I just find that so interesting, but maybe I'm the only one.

At the end of the day fragrances are a personal thing. I know that for many of Josh's fragrances, they offer scent memories for me of a time that I want to remember for better or worse. Whether it is the dusty labdanum and leather smell of my deceased Nana's basement found in Jeke, the stark woodsy pine resins that remind me of the few times my estranged father wore cologne when I was a child I smell in Norne, or the sweet smell of cranberry bogs on a winter's morning down in Cape Cod where I spent so much of my childhood that I am reminded of while wearing Zahd.

So, at least to me, his work is irreplaceable, and to be honest, while I find others opinions amusing from an entertainment and intellectual standpoint (especially those that I respect in the community), it really won't ever change my personal opinion, and it shouldn't for anyone else either. Again, fragrance is a personal thing, and I look forward to see what responses the rest of the participants have to the scents at hand.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 2nd July 2014 at 06:50 PM.

Same here and I agree with the personal connection part as well. Slumberhouse Rume reminds me of holidays spent with my Mom and grandmother - the Hallmark store smelled like a spicy fruitcake because of this scented potpourri they had in the store. Wearing Rume strikes the right emotional strings for me and really places a comforting scent blanket over me that displays images of the past on my brain's projector...I LOVE how his scents have the ability to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    So, at least to me, his work is irreplaceable, and to be honest, while I find others opinions amusing from an entertainment and intellectual standpoint (especially those that I respect in the community), it really won't ever change my personal opinion, and it shouldn't for anyone else either. Again, fragrance is a personal thing, and I look forward to see what responses the rest of the participants have to the scents at hand.
    MadHat Scents

Basenotes Plus

They're not 'straight fragrance' 'though are they?

To me, they represent another dimension of fragrance and it's interesting to see where some of these new artists are going.

I love that I can wear Mare in a storm & enjoy the experience, for example.
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd July 2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

They're not 'straight fragrance' 'though are they?

To me, they represent another dimension of fragrance and it's interesting to see where some of these new artists are going.

I love that I can wear Mare in a storm & enjoy the experience, for example.
    That's definitely another topic to consider, and one I believe was brought up at one point in the now dormant Slumberhouse thread. To many (myself included), the scents that he comes up with are less about being a personal fragrance and are more akin to being a fragrance memory placeholder than anything (in the form of a personal wear fragrance). It's a kind of difficult idea to communicate with words, but I bet you know what I mean. I doubt this is his intention, but I guess you never know.

I enjoy seeing the disparity of opinion on these fragrances. It just demonstrates very clearly how different all of our perceptions are. Keep the reviews coming everyone!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

@ danieq - They certainly don't provoke apathy, do they?

I've no idea of the intention, OctaVarium, but think that it's pretty cool that people like Josh Lobb & Angelo Pregoni are stretching boundaries in these days of multiple 'meh' releases
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd July 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Surely there's nothing new in controversial fragrances. I've seen people go crazy for Kouros comparing it to the breath of Angels while others swear it smells like someone peed himself.

It appears that in perfume as in the Art world in general, there will always be those who want to 'push the envelope' and shock the 'complacent public'. This kind of perfumery could be called "Gonzo" perfumery. It feels as though everything is cranked up very high, lots of sometimes clashing components are used and at nuclear strength. I was thinking about the effect of something like "twerking" would have had on my FIL if he were still alive. He was born in 1913. I doubt very much if he would have liked it. This new kind of 'perfume and art that shocks' is just not up my alley, I guess. I am officially an old stick-in-the-mud.

Basenotes Plus

It doesn't strike me as 'shock tactics' 'though...more a genuine love of odours and the exploration thereof?

Blog Entries

Grev- for instance, is highly strong and medicinal for 4-6 hours before it becomes tolerably mellow?
    one other, Rume, Sova, is compared to MKK​? (Sorry, not a fan) no, as I see it, these are deliberately provocative. That's fine. It's just a style.

repose

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Same here and I agree with the personal connection part as well. Slumberhouse Rume reminds me of holidays spent with my Mom and grandmother - the Hallmark store smelled like a spicy fruitcake because of this scented potpourri they had in the store. Wearing Rume strikes the right emotional strings for me and really places a comforting scent blanket over me that displays images of the past on my brain's projector...I LOVE how his scents have the ability to do that.
    That's what I thought of Norne actually -- it reminded me of those Christmas / Hallmark stores here in the Midwest. Potpourri and candles. Definitely an evocative scent and it'll be an interesting wear in the cooler months.

Basenotes Plus

Grev- for instance, is highly strong and medicinal for 4-6 hours before it becomes tolerably mellow?
    one other, Rume, Sova, is compared to MKK​? (Sorry, not a fan) no, as I see it, these are deliberately provocative. That's fine. It's just a style.
    I honestly don't think that is the case - any more than I could accuse Chanel, for example, of being provocative for boring me to death but, as others have pointed out, there are no rights or wrongs here - just different tastes, fortunately - or there wouldn't be enough to go round

@repose - my first wearing of Norne was during a lovely, peaceful, weeding session amongst the moss & stuff here last summer - will have to check it out in winter for other facets
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd July 2014 at 08:52 PM.

I think this is definitely slated to a personal opinion. I don't find Rume or Sova (one of my favorite fragrances) to be deliberately provocative at all, just a unique take on the tobacco/woody genre with some less common notes like hops. Rume is a spice fragrance in the genre sense (to my nose), and while it is an interesting scent and has some kind of odd odors like the smell of Coke, again I don't see it as deliberately provocative. I guess ultimately it would be up to Josh to tell us his intentions, but from my many conversations with him over the years this isn't the feel I've gotten.

Definitely no deliberate intent to shock or provoke, but certainly an intention to innovate beyond the frame of mainstream perfumery. And as with all good innovation in the arts, shocking sensibilities is par for the course. If you're coming from highly synthetic or mass-produced chemical perfumes such as say Bond or Creed or something, then yes, being exposed to high quality naturals will certainly be a shock to the system.

I'd be interested to hear what people think of JAR perfumes in this regard. I got to smell them all a few times times last week, and those are some boundary-pushing scents. Jardenia was particularly evocative.
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd July 2014 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

I'd be interested to hear what people think of JAR perfumes in this regard. I got to smell them all a few times times last week, and those are some boundary-pushing scents. Jardenia was particularly evocative.
    I personally have no experience with the line at all. From what I've seen it is far too rich for my blood.

Blog Entries

@ danieq - They certainly don't provoke apathy, do they?

I've no idea of the intention, OctaVarium, but think that it's pretty cool that people like Josh Lobb & Angelo Pregoni are stretching boundaries in these days of multiple 'meh' releases
    I've looked at some other reviews and I see I'm not the only one who has trouble with these scents. Overall, I would say the effect is maybe not exactly one of 'shock'. That may be the intent or underlying motivation. I just happen to find most of these fragrances to be 'bombastic'.

Jeke- for instance, has so much tea in it that it crosses the line and goes into chewed tobacco territory- for me. You have to really love the smell of smoky tea and I do not. I also do not love Bulgari Black- I know, I know, it's a beautiful tea scent, yadda yadda. Well I got rid of my bottle after buying it blind. Tea is evidently a deal- breaker note for me. That one smelled like a rubber fire.

And I noticed Baque has davana in it. And, no doubt, it is a massive amount. Well, as you may have guessed, another note I dislike intensely. This is what I mean by pushing the envelope I suppose. Using unusual notes that are rarely used for a reason- they aren't very pleasant- to most people. An acquired taste, if you will. I prefer to love a fragrance full stop. No 'getting used to it' should be required.

One of the scents I wore earlier from a sample was Pear & Olive. I rubbed a small amount on my hand from a vial. Within seconds the room was filled with a pungent, sour odor. Shortly, my husband came in. "Eeew! What's that smell?" He asked. Hardly the reaction one hopes for when trying a new perfume. It truly was stomach turning.

So this has been my experience with SlumberHouse. Interesting but not my cup of tea. I certainly don't intend to ruin anyone's enjoyment. I do think it should be noted that there have been numerous threads started on countless houses that have received plenty of severe criticism from all directions. No one should ever take it personally.

Basenotes Plus

Nobody's upset because you don't like them, kumquat!

Blog Entries

Agreed, more for me.

deadidol: I never got a chance to sample JAR, but Strange Invisible Perfumes uses proprietary CO2-extracted naturals--and nothing else--and that line was simply amazing, gorgeous stuff. What ever happened to them? The awareness level here on Basenotes has dropped to zero. You put them on, and all of them smell fermented, and then, BOOM, the aroma unfolds--unique on a huge scale. That is another example of rare, natural ingredients defining and determining the beauty of a line of fragranges. Geez, makes me want to get some and start a sample pass. Going to go and search the forum archives for past reference now.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 5th July 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Please note that all new sample passes need to be referred to stuigi before being arranged or proceeding.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by lpp; 5th July 2014 at 02:04 PM.

Last forum posts were from 2011. Prices are outrageous, so I think there will be no risk of a sample pass on my account, Ipp. Box of 12 samples, only 0.6 ml each, for $90. (That's $125 per ml.) Too bad, as it is such a great line. Anyone near Venice, CA is lucky to be able to go smell them.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 5th July 2014 at 02:16 PM.

Default Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    deadidol: I never got a chance to sample JAR, but Strange Invisible Perfumes uses proprietary CO2-extracted naturals--and nothing else--and that line was simply amazing, gorgeous stuff. What ever happened to them? The awareness level here on Basenotes has dropped to zero.
    I've tried them. There are great ideas, but they're poorly constructed unfortunately. None of them are fixed, and almost all fall apart within 30 minutes. Given that she charges $800 for some of her bottles, you'd think she'd have a perfumer help with the fixing. The materials she uses are mainly from John Steele, despite the proprietary claims. There's a rose oil where she bought the whole lot (she's got the funds to do so, as she's an heiress/socialite), but aside from that, the materials are stock naturals. The only thing that's truly propriety for her is the use of the word "strange" as she's a tad litigious and has set her lawyers (look and see who her dad is) onto anyone who tries to use the word.

As far as the construction goes though, she's aware of the problem and has addressed it. Her solution is to simply reapply every 45 minutes or so and to apply a lot of it. Both the SA's and the "instructions" in the package say the same thing. Sadly, at $800, that can be a little tough for some people.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th July 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Last forum posts were from 2011. Prices are outrageous, so I think there will be no risk of a sample pass on my account, Ipp. Box of 12 samples, only 0.6 ml each, for $90. (That's $125 per ml.) Too bad, as it is such a great line. Anyone near Venice, CA is lucky to be able to go smell them.
    The SA showed me the sample set last time I was in the store, and I think I have pictures somewhere. The samples are those little glass vials with plastic dabbers half filled and taped to a piece of card. Somebody would need to invest in at least 10 of them for a handful of people to get involved. And it is a shame as the ideas are genuinely strong (he recreation of natural botanical musks is quite brilliant—a sour, stale kind of note), but the construction and laughable price render the line a tad inviable these days.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th July 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I've tried them. There are great ideas, but they're poorly constructed unfortunately. None of them are fixed, and almost all fall apart within 30 minutes. Given that she charges $800 for some of her bottles, you'd think she'd have a perfumer help with the fixing. The materials she uses are mainly from John Steele, despite the proprietary claims. There's a rose oil where she bought the whole lot (she's got the funds to do so, as she's an heiress/socialite), but aside from that, the materials are stock naturals. The only thing that's truly propriety for her is the use of the word "strange" as she's a tad litigious and has set her lawyers (look and see who her dad is) onto anyone who tries to use the word.

As far as the construction goes though, she's aware of the problem and has addressed it. Her solution is to simply reapply every 45 minutes or so and to apply a lot of it. Both the SA's and the "instructions" in the package say the same thing. Sadly, at $800, that can be a little tough for some people.
    IIRC didn't she try and sue Josh for using "strange" as a slogan for some of his creations a while back? I remember him going on a few twitter rants about the whole thing which at least in my mind was quite an odd situation (since I had only limited knowledge of what was actually going on). Just thinking about it, plus it connects this whole side chat back to Slumberhouse :P.

deadidol:
    That's it. "Strange Inviable Perfumes." I couldn't have said it better.
    Do you mean Jerry Bruckheimer?

Life is unfair, and it rarely hurts to have money. Many worthy artists (in every genre) will never see the light of day because money talks, and connections count more than quality. When you think about it, we might never find out who has how much money behind him or her -- including our favorite perfumers!
    Last edited by purplebird7; 5th July 2014 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that a source of funds is relevant to the perfumer's achievement. I have a few Strange Invisibles and have been happy with them. I don't know about the lawsuit that keeps coming up here. It wouldn't surprise me if a person tried to protect their products in this very competitive field.

What about Ajne? Those are also very high in 'natural' elements. At least I had that impression. They are rich and wonderful to my nose. I tried to get folks interested in them a while back but there wasn't much response. I never knew why.

deadidol:
    That's it. "Strange Inviable Perfumes." I couldn't have said it better.
    Do you mean Jerry Bruckheimer?

Life is unfair, and it rarely hurts to have money. Many worthy artists (in every genre) will never see the light of day because money talks, and connections count more than quality. When you think about it, we might never find out who has how much money behind him or her -- including our favorite perfumers!
    That's one thing she does very well is to make connections and get in all the glossies and whatnot. The talent' for the composition is absolutely there—really strong ideas, but the construction is the downfall. Working with all naturals is really hard, but there are ways to fix the materials better than what she has (hence the reapply every 45 minutes approach—at $125 per ml, no less!) I wish she'd work with someone with more training or knowledge of the materials to accomplish this as even though her pricing is a bit of a joke, I think the scents could be worthy of a high ticket if they were better supported.