Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    The SH sample pass is on!

I will be adding Rume, Norne, and Mare to the package. This is gonna be fun!

I will start posting reviews/impressions of the ones I've tried already!

So exciting, JiveHippo! I'll PM you my address, being next. Can't wait to smell the ones new to me, too. Many thanks for contributing! Here's the pass order again. Everyone be sure the person before you on the list has your mailing address.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

If there's anything left:
    danieq

Default Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Hey all! Deadidol here. I snarfed up a thread merge (of course), so I'm going to attach my initial disclaimer about this thread here in the first post by ventriloquizing JiveHippo:

Because the original Slumberhouse Sample Pass thread that was kindly orchestrated by ScentFan and Badarun had some glitches and had to be closed, some of those involved have requested a new thread simply to discuss the scents being passed around. To be clear, this is not an opportunity to get in on a sample pass, it's just a space for those who were involved initially to share and compare their thoughts and for others to respond. I'm going to go ahead and import some comments from the locked thread (so it might look a tad sloppy to begin), but it'll give you all a place to chat and compare your sampling experiences.

For those who missed the original thread, the scents included in the pass were: Baque, Eki, Flou, Grev, Jeke , Kere, Mare, Norne, Ore (extrait), Ore EdP, Pear + Olive , Rume, Sana, Sova, and Vikt. With that said, I'll hand it back over to those involved to discuss, starting with JiveHippo's original comments:

Vikt Extrait:

Whoa, black licorice. Intense anise, with the standard balsamic SH accord. A sweetness, and oud as well. The Oud blends well with the licorice, it makes for a very smooth opening but, there is a very strong synthetic base in this. I also detect the same chemical (much less so) in Ore extrait. A metallic, synth note that encompasses the whole drydown. The opening is great, but imo, it goes downhill after that. If you like anise, it's definitely worth a try.

Rume:

Fruity, boozy and spicy. Very rich. Brings to mind the smell of brewing beer or wine. Fermenting fruits and grains. Very smooth, and quite sweet too. Labdanum and myrrh combine to give the fragrance a deep resinous quality. One of the more challenging, oddball SH scents imo.
    Last edited by deadidol; 26th March 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Default Re: A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

Here's my take (disclaimer - I’m nowhere near the good noses we have here on BN...). On a general take, I find both Slumberhouse & Juniperridge to be the most natural parfums.

My favorites from Slumberhouse are Vikt, Norne, Jeke, Rume, Baque & Sova. While ORE & ZAHD are both masterpieces imho, they are very easily worn by everyone & not challenging like the above 6. These 6 got me to start liking this house & even now, these 6 give me the most intense, memorable olfactory experience.

Leaving out my take on Eki, Flou, Sana & P&O, as I hardly use them – they are mostly used by my girlfriend, my niece & my sister. My personal take - I like Sana the most, among Eki, Sana & Flou. P&O is very good, but it creates an oily vibe (with rgds to smell), which I don't prefer.

Vikt - this is for the old formulation which I really like - new one is supposedly more polished compared to the old & has a good (massive) dose of pure mysore sandalwood based attar.
    notes: licorice, fennel, anise, styrax, ravensara, oud - combined to push the limits on the wearer - go with 2-3 sprays max, if u own it, all under clothing - even with it, the old vikt can project exceptionally well & lasts a day or more (unfortunately i shower every day, so couldn't test that aspect). Oud is not fecal / challenging & is not the most prominent note, but together, it creates a wonderful effect - incensy, balmy, resinuous, highly intense & dark.

Baque - another favorite from this line.
    notes: Apricot, Cedar, Straw, Vanilla, Tobacco leaf, Davana, Ambergris, Parchment, artemisia.
    imagine a saw mill with cedar being sawed off (woody notes are very mild, but still noticeable); nearby a lady cooking a fruity apricot based stew, some fine tobacco leaves (one of the best accords of tobacco I've smelt), vanilla, hay as well - together, pure magic. Many comment of a boozy accord, which my nose fails to detect - this is sweet, but not cloying, again exceptional longevity & very good silage. not easily worn for regular people used to "perfumery". the notes can be quite challenging on this, as they vary based on the weather quite a bit; colder it gets, more tobacco'ish it gets, warmer weather which this isn't really suitable for will make it very sweet. whoever tests - be ready to get wafts of this through 12-14 hours with various notes coming on & off - it's a journey (Baque along with Rume were like this for me).

Sova -
    notes: poplar (populus) buds, tonka bean, hay, vanilla, castoreum, amber, broom, beeswax, black locust, melilot or sweet clover and hops
    enough has been said about this parfum on many threads. To me, Sova ranks after Vikt, Rume, Norne, Jeke, Baque. Sova, with its castoreum / beeswax combo + other notes, to me is much more animalic than the musky MKK / Musc Ravageur, both of which I own & don't find really animalic.

Rume
    notes: bay leaf, myrrh and labdanum.
    now this is boozy, even my terrible nose gets it!!! I got reminded of this when a co-worker brought some rum cake (new year time) - while there's no rum in Rume, the spicy, boozy / burnt pralines with a cocacola'ish sweetness accords makes this the sweetest one from this house imho. Longevity is again exceptional. This scent again takes me on a 12-14 hr odyssey - wafts of notes keep coming on & off...very nicely done indeed. People who like the dense Ambre Sultan / Filles en Aiguilles types might really like it - only if you would prefer something more challenging. I own many Luten's, but don't find them challenging at all.

Norne
    notes (from fragrantica): fir, incense and spicy notes. I think there's lots more than just these 3...
    simple review - coniferous forest floor. but the parfum isn't that simple, it's a tremendously complex & well made imo. As fyi, the below are excerpts from reviews on BN which I totally agree, with rgds to the feel norne creates:
    From mick_trick - when you have a bonfire in the forest, and someone throws a wet fir branch on... just at that moment there is a aroma that comes from the burning wet fir, part aromatic steam, part sour hot resin, and part wet smoke. Incredible the imagery contained in this beautiful fragrance...

Jeke
    Notes: Benzoin, patchouli, tobacco, lapsang souchong, vanilla, and clove
    wonderful / best smoky tobacco i have ever sampled / owned; based on weather / temperature, this can go from sweet / resinuous (aka "Slumberhouse feel") to a regular feel (at least on me). very potent, so i never spray on open skin, only under skin & dont wear anything light, the juice will stain fabric. I love strong tobacco's like Tribute attar etc, but none capture a smoky tobacco leathery accord like jeke does. Longevity is excellent & silage is low to average, so it's more of a olfactory experience for the self; but anyone close might get alarmed by the heavy smoky accord. totally FB worthy like the above 5.

Grev
    Notes: Copaiba, Fir balsams, Clove, Birch, Orris, Cedar
    Grev, along with Kere & Mare, might be to everyone on this sample pass, the most challenging imho. Terribly balsamic - wait for at least 4-6 hours for the mellowed phase to come through, from whereon, it will be wonderful - until then, cloves will have a medicinal fell on you.

Kere
    notes: Aldehydes, Apricot, White chocolate, Plum, Orange, Honeysuckle, Licorice, Hay, Caramel
    Totally different smelling than the notes - due to possible reformulation? I don't know which version I won, this is most likely the reform, as sandalwood is there, w/o a doubt, although, don't get any rose yet. It's sweet, slightly fruity, with licorice, styrax & a good dose of sandalwood to me. Simple, with exceptional longevity - very good silage too. It reminds me a bit of medicinal oils used in India, in a good way though.

Mare
    Notes: none available online - my take - very green, dill, earthy vetiver & some other slight spices / pepper notes.
    Now this was / is the most difficult perfume I've sampled. I was & still am finding it difficult for the first few hours when the green notes + dill create this almost mask like feel, after which woods, mainly an earthy vetiver come out. (I might be totally wrong on this). However, public views are very positive, a trendy lady who I work with said I should wear this more often. Everyone in my family liked it too.

Ore(own both EDP & the new Extrait & both are included on the sample pass)
    Notes: Guaiac wood, Peru balsam, Black pepper, Cocoa absolute, Palmarosa, Clary sage
    Enough entered on reviews & threads; to me this is a masterpiece & the "best coca which cannot be called gourmand". Women at work loved this (a normally reserved girl came back to smell my jacket & said (quoting her words here) "I don't want to smell u in public, but whatever the hell u r wearing is simply gorgeous")...Part of Alfarom's review, given below, is bang on target (I still don't find it a gourmand though): “This bizarre concoction between edible and inedible elements makes of Ore one of the most original takes on the gourmandic theme. Intense but barely sweet, mysterious, dark and dangerously sexy.

Zahd
    notes from slumberhouse.com: cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent.
    A WOW parfum, masterpiece & no words are enough to describe how I felt (this from someone who owns 300+ bottles & many Slumberhouse's too among them).
    I was fortunate to sample 3 versions - the first which is supposedly much closer to the final outcome had a tremendous impact on me. I pm'd a BN who also had recvd the sample with a lot of hesitation (bcoz my nose to me is terrible & I instantly found Zahd to be great & I thought this was due to my liking of slumberhouse, my mind was playing games & dictating my nose the same way) & the BN also found Zahd the same (what a sigh of relief that was!!!).
    (for whatever follows - I'm not a religious guy) - Whoever has had the chance to visit any ancient temples in India (particularly South India) - early mornings, there's this wonderful smell that combines all of this - sandalwood powder / vibuthi or sacred ash powder / turmeric & vermillion powder for the color & light smell / fresh camphor & burning camphor with its smoke plus burning woods - sandalwood and cedar & also dried cowdung / burning indian incense sticks dominant on sandalwood, rose notes / honey / milk / fresh indian jasmine flower / rose / smell of burning oil lamps filled with sesame oil / all this on a dampness smell emanating from the damp black granite floor and walls - all this combined together is Zahd to me - none of these might actually be in Zahd, but the vibe it creates is so alike to the temple fell i mentioned; even my sister & her 7 yr old daughter, fresh from a visit to India, were able to identify the same way - niece, all of 7 yrs, told it smells like indian temple (as fyi, the smell varies - the morning feel is what i describe & is wonderful, any time after & u wouldn't want to smell it!!!). Zahd was love at first sight. I'm so glad i'm on the list of the fortunate 150 to have bought this wonderful creation. This can be considered the most complete, crowd friendly creation of Slumberhouse - in a traditional perfumery way of creation, without even a trace of the "Slumberhouse" vibe.If this was mass manufactured, this will win the years awards if it gets released; with just 150 of 30ml's made, chances of it taking awards might be remote, which is the sad part...

A badarun-inspired analysis.

Zahd.
    We don't have it in the sample pass (do we, badarun?), but I'll comment. Unlike badarun I didn't fall in love on first sniff. The cranberry/cherry note smelled like candy apple to me at first and I didn't linger. On reflection, I think I'd been smelling other things and my nose may have malsniffed. Also, I think I first sniffed my Zahd sample in the days before I realized one must, must sample on skin before reaching a conclusion, not just sniff and then dab on paper. Ahem. (That authoritative internet video that advises this should be amended!) Having cancelled two planned trips to India over the years (one to hunt boar, another to visit a guru's ashram; [went to a Buddhist retreat in Bordeaux instead]--by the way, don't ever cancel amazing trips, even if your loved ones are freaking out), I can't comment on the smell of the temples there. I've been in temples elsewhere, though. And Zahd does have a temple vibe. It certainly deserves an award. Every Slumberhouse I've smelled is a masterpiece to my ultra-ultra finicky nose, which registers only what it detects for itself -- can't even comprehend a smell consensus, so doesn't try. That other noses may conclude differently to it is a foregone conclusion.

Knowing Zahd has cranberry and champaca -- hey, what's that anyway? Looking it up. A member of the magnolia family. Oh, wait! I have a sample of the extract here! It came last week. Wow, this has an almost peppery initial impression and then a musty floral scent arises that makes me think India immediately, as if ... wait, are these the yellow flowers they use in religious ceremonies all the time? Looking up pic. Yes! So anyone who's been in those temples can't help but smell India just like badarun says because champaca flowers are everywhere! Olfactorally, Zahd takes you there. Don't knock your nose, badarun, it's batting a thousand.

Back to Zahd. Josh's website says "Zahd incorporates notes of cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent. The perfume itself is a deep ruby red color and is concentrated at 30% to create an incredibly powerful and long lasting extrait. Each bottle contains 30ml and costs $150. Only 125 bottles will be made and once they are sold out that is it."

Maybe he squeezed more out. Maybe the perfume gods are kind to its new devotees, inspired not by knowledge but by passion. OTOH, maybe all I'll ever have is this small sample of Zahd.

By chance, Angel of Music from Phantom of the Opera is playing as I type this. To me, Josh is the phantom of perfumery. I hope I get to wear his deep dark fruity, fabulous Zahd.

Ore Extrait/EDP Comparision:

Honestly, not a huge difference here. I put a spritz of each on my wrists this morning. The opening is where the difference lies. The EDP has much less cocoa and woods. As expected, the extrait is more rich and full bodied. It hits you with a very obvious cocoa note in the opening, where in the EDP the cocoa is a bit more subdued. I do get the "coconut" vibe in the extrait that many people have commented on, and that also seems to be absent in the EDP. Overall they're both very nice scents. Chocolatey gourmands, with some of the best woody notes I've ever smelled in a fragrance. I own the extrait, and I'm quite happy that I now know I prefer it to the EDP.

Norne:

Don't know how much I can add that hasn't already been said. This stuff is incredibly strong, quite jarring, and not for the faint of heart. Smells intensely of pine and incense. Also has the balsamic effect found in many SH fragrances. The consistency of the liquid is thick and syrupy. I had an official sample that had been sitting around for a while and the atomizer actually seized. It will not spray anymore. A big downside for me (and the reason why I will not purchase this) is that it leaves a sticky green stain on skin, and stains clothing. It almost feels like you have actual pine sap on your skin. Overall a very unique and pleasant smell. Lasts more than 24hrs. I agree with Turin's assessment when he said "not a proper perfume, but a great improper one" or something along those lines.

Flou:

The first decidedly feminine SH fragrance that I've tried. Crushed grapes and berries. Jasmine, tuberose, fig. Smells like the color purple. It's everything that Mugler's Alien and Dior's Poison want to be. Very nice. I'd love to smell this on a woman!

Eki:

This one straddles the line between unisex and feminine. I can definitely see a lot of men finding this one too fem. Lots of florals and some juicy berry notes up top. Pretty simple for a SH scent. Not much development, but I really like it. I pick up a slight smokey note that almost smells like burning plastic, strangely alluring. Too bad it's dicontinued.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 4th February 2014 at 03:12 PM.

Mare:

Very different smell. Green and earthy. Mildly herbal and spicy too. Also picking up on a melon type note. Another odd SH scent, but in a light and fresh sort of way. Not for me.

Sana:

Dark and sweet. Floral. Boozy perhaps? Typically SH. Also get somewhat of a "sweaty" note, leather? Overall, a nice scent, but not one of my favorites in the line.

I've got a couple more to go, then the package will be off to ScentFan.

Hi, Folks. Been under the weather for a few days, but I'm back at it. Regarding the sample pass, a few of the bottles are somewhat low. We’re not going to get three sprays per person, so try for a max of two.

First, an update on Zahd, then comments on the rest.

My Zahd arrived and it's truly a marvel, just as in the sample! After an initial blast of cranberry/cherry sweetness which quickly dissipates, the fragrance settles on my skin and then the star becomes the champaca, a yellow floral gem in a setting of mostly fruits and woods. When it arrived, I wore it all day. It's so well blended the drydown is just a dream. Hours later I still smelled it and hubby reported whiffs as I passed by. Next morning, it was still there, so longevity and sillage are fine. As everyone probably knows by now, the notes are: cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak. If I try, I can pick up the wine ether and the cocoa. Not sure what gromwell is. Zahd is a warm, unexpected and involving fragrance that I find entrancing. The champaca, cocoa, woods and incense are sultry bedfellows for the initially sweet cranberry & cherry. It’s hard to describe the combination, but it’s quite alluring, even comforting. Next morning the incense and oak are more prominent. The bottle is just as gorgeous as the scent. Guess we're not supposed to show photos yet? Now for some blasphemy. At risk of offending Josh (I hope not) and the perfume gods, I layered Zahd and Jeke and find the combination utterly addictive. It's a pas de deux so gorgeous, this could easily become my favorite scent, a fragrance I turn to when life is too amazing or too awful for speech. In this pas de deux, Jeke is Nureyev and Zahd Fontaine. No one has ever danced like those two and, to me, nothing can ever smell like Zahd/Jeke. [That said, I return you to your regularly-scheduled non-blasphemous regard for brilliant perfumery.]

Here are comments on the two in the sample pass I’d never tried:

Baque. Fragrantica classifies it as an oriental fougère, a genre I’ve yet to investigate. Looking it up. Wikipedia says a fougère has a top note of lavender and base of oak moss and coumarin (tonka bean). The most common modifiers are vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present. Baque’s notes are: Ambergris, Apricot, Davana, Parchment, Straw, Tobacco leaf, Tobacco blossom, Vanilla, Cedar. So I don’t get the fougère classification. I smell mainly apricot and tobacco, the other notes supporting them to create a unique scent experience that’s neither sweet nor bitter, but an appealingly dank mix of natural ingredients. A great smell, but perhaps not a perfume I’d wear.

Kere. Whoa, a pleasant initial blast of citrus, followed by a very appealing and unique scent — sweet, but not too much. I get a faint whiff of orange, also vanilla, a floral? The notes are: Aldehydes, Apricot, White chocolate, Plum, Orange, Honeysuckle, Licorice, Hay, Caramel. I really, really like this. Wait and the caramel and hay come deliciously up. Woe is me, I love it! Must hunt some down. The combo of ingredients is just magical.

My initial takes on the other scents in the pass are here:

Eki, Vikt, Flou, Grev, Sana
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3020466

Mare
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3015492

Jeke, Norne, Ore, Pear+Olive, Sova
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3009050

Marvelous fragrances, overall. For me, not all are wearable, but all smell incredible. So much so, that I plan to buy everything Josh makes from now on.

Will repackage what’s left and get this off to juanderer tomorrow.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 3rd March 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Baque: My first impression of Baque was that it's somewhere between Sova and Rume. It has that honeyed tobaccoconutty feel of Sova with the thicker molasses-like dry fruit sweetness of Rume.

There is a very distinct vanilla bean and ambergris tandem that becomes prominent as the fragrance dries down. I sense an almost roasted effect on the vanilla bean on my skin.

I would say that Baque lines up really well with the latest offerings from Slumberhouse (Vikt, Ore, and Zahd; all in their extrait versions) as it is extremely wearable yet also has the challenging non-classical-perfume-like aesthetics we find in most releases from this house.

Kere opens sweet with a blast of dried apricot. A few seconds in, I get cinammon over a milky sandalwood background. There is also a medley of spices - more noticeably nutmeg and cardamom and just enough cumin to be noticeable but not overpowering. I've seen mention of a white chocolate accord on reviews for Kere and I can see that. I attribute it to the mix of sandalwood and aldehydes. At times, I get a mulled apple cider feel from it. It's comforting and gourmand without being overly sweet and it's far from cloying. The spices sets it apart from what we come to expect from gourmands. My overall impressions of Kere are positive, but it is not one I would consider a favorite from the house.

Update on Kere: The very late dry-down phase actually improved my overall impression of it. The cardamom carries through to the end and plays really well off of the sandalwood base.
    Last edited by juanderer; 26th March 2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin

So happy to see this. Thanks for starting and I look forward to reading all the impressions.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Yaay! Thanks deadidol!

Thanks for the restart of this thread!

I wondered whether these were still being sampled? Hadn't seen anything new in a while.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Basenotes Plus

Yes. I sampled the few in the pass that I didn't have samples/bottles of already (I've yet to compile my notes to add here) and will pass it on to mimielle who should see it mid next week. I will update later with my impressions of the rest of the Slumberhouse fragrances I already own.

Sorry for the silence.

Awesome Juanderer! Can't wait to read your impressions when you get them down.

Me, too. I also was wondering what had happened to the pass. No activity for awhile, and the rest of us are still waiting to join in.

Here is the remaining order, so you don't have to look back at the old thread:

mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

Remember, there are a lot of people to go, so take care not to use too much.

As stated by Deadidol earlier, "This is not an opportunity to get in on a pass."
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th April 2014 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I received the box safely, thank you juanderer!
    Norne seeped a bit and came unscrewed when I removed the tape so I'm not sure how to re-secure it for shipping, please advise? I don't have decanting experience!
    I have the PK Perfumes sample pass as well, they both arrived Thursday so I'm wallowing in decadent lusciousness, as you can imagine!

I'll commence testing but it will be fully 3 weeks or more given the strength and duration of development and the number of pass samples I have. I have purposely avoided reading most impressions so far until I form my own but I'll be very eager to discuss and compare afterwards.

Many thanks to ScentFan and Badarun for donating precious and very generous samples and to JiveHippo for following up with me! <3
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

I think the sprayer vials should be replaced with the regular vials with wands. The sprayers in this sample pass have done nothing but leak. They have caused problems and wasted rare and expensive products since the beginning of the sample pass. Also, dabber vials would prevent accidental over-application, which can occur with sprayers.

Since mimielle will have the samples for 3 weeks, if she doesn't have replacement vials, someone can send them to her.

What does everybody think of my suggestion?

Hi, all

Been away for a while. I bought the initial vials and when they leaked, I replaced them with the most expensive I could find. Here's the problem, which I discovered in the process of taping the new ones. Wrapping tape around the vial in the direction the cap screws off LOOSENS the cap. IOW, rewrap the tape clockwise, in the same direction you screw the cap on. Rewrapping, especially tightly rewrapping--as I'm sure we all did, in the wrong direction is the reason for the leaks.

Hubby pointed out that this is a key practice with pipe fitters, to wrap the pipes in the same direction they're screwed on or there will be leaks. Just haven't fitted any pipes lately.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, no! Was a lot of Norne lost? That was one of the few I didn't touch as I have a bottle of it. Let me know if there's not enough to sample, mimielle, and I'll send some in a dabber vial.

Basenotes Plus

I never tape anything - just wrap them in cling film & twist the ends (like a sweet wrapper) & have had no losses so far.
    Works for vials & sprayers.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I never tape anything - just wrap them in cling film & twist the ends (like a sweet wrapper) & have had no losses so far.
    Works for vials & sprayers.
    +1. Ditch the tape. It serves no purpose. Wrap microfilm around the threads, and twist the atomizer closed tightly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Oh, no! Was a lot of Norne lost? That was one of the few I didn't touch as I have a bottle of it. Let me know if there's not enough to sample, mimielle, and I'll send some in a dabber vial.
    Thank you, it was just a seep, not much was lost. It is a sticky and dark perfume so it was especially noticeable... then the coming unscrewed thing, there's still gracious plenty, it's just sealing it back up well enough to travel again. I do have a tiny perfume funnel so I could decant into something but as I said, not at all familiar with supplies to do it so I wanted input so we could not lose time past the time I am keeping them. Thank you for offering to replace though <3
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I think the sprayer vials should be replaced with the regular vials with wands.

What does everybody think of my suggestion?
    I have found so far that dabber vials do not give a true representarion of longevity of the frag or the actual strength. If a choice, I always prefer to sample from sparyers after almost passing on a few that seemed very fugitive on me when dabbed but were perfectly decent-lasting when sprayed. this may not be as much of an issue with these and other EDP and extraits but just in general. I will do whatever advised though for the next peeps in line
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

I'd be inclined to leave them as they are if it was just a bit of seepage, mimielle - the contents would be further depleted by yet more decanting.
    Last edited by lpp; 20th April 2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Me, too. I also was wondering what had happened to the pass. No activity for awhile, and the rest of us are still waiting to join in.

Here is the remaining order, so you don't have to look back at the old thread:

mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

Remember, there are a lot of people to go, so take care not to use too much.

As stated by Deadidol earlier, "This is not an opportunity to get in on a pass."
    Don't forget Danieq hanging on the end of the trail, in case anything is left!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    So exciting, JiveHippo! I'll PM you my address, being next. Can't wait to smell the ones new to me, too. Many thanks for contributing! Here's the pass order again. Everyone be sure the person before you on the list has your mailing address.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

If there's anything left:
    danieq

Post transferred from previous thread for info.

Basenotes Plus

Just wondering how the sampling is going?

Basenotes Plus

Last I heard, mimielle was going through both this and the PK sample pack. Perhaps she's giving her nose a break.

In the meantime, here's my take on how the two versions of Vikt compare:

The current version was my second Slumberhouse blind buy (first one being Mare), and it quickly became one of my favorite fragrances in my collection. It took me one wear to get used to the fennel opening, but I was always in love with the warm and "spooky" sandalwood and oud attar dry down. It's comforting and challenging at the same time. The oud in this is not prominent enough to be a protagonist, but it supports the blend really well with some incense that adds a slightly metallic vibe.

The older version is louder and harsher up top and the metallic feel is more tenacious than in the current extrait formulation. It is still enjoyable, but I prefer the roundness of the extrait.