Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Slumberhouse Sample Pass Thread Redux

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Thanks

From my experience, and this is coming from a fan of the Fall, horror movies, haunted attractions, etc - it isn't wearable. While fully representative of the season, it's too pungent and offends many quite easily. I feel it's very appealing, but you have to LOVE its ingredients, and it's more appropriate of something to smell while walking into an area rather than have the smell come from you.

Claire, have you had a chance to smell Baque?

Interesting, noideawhatimsaying - what sorts of fragrances do you feel comfortable wearing?

If you check out my wardrobe, you'll see that it's quite a mix but it seems the Slumberhouse line is very polarising here, which is as one would expect.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th August 2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Plus

Oddly, according to my SOTD log, all of my Sova wearings have been in Spring except for one.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Interesting, noideawhatimsaying - what sorts of fragrances do you feel comfortable wearing?

If you check out my wardrobe, you'll see that it's quite a mix but it seems the Slumberhouse line is very polarising here, which is as one would expect.
    Currently, I'm experiencing a sort of "falling away" from them. Only a few are completely intoxicating to me - Ambre Narguile, Back to Black, Messe de Minuit, Espresso Royale, New Haarlem. I suppose gourmond/incense/smoke.

Now that I think about it, layerying Ambre Narguile with either Jeke or Messe de Minuit might be the concotion I'm looking for. MadHad Scents has a new fragrance which is apple, vanilla, tobacco, cinammon, smoke, and wood in one - sample on its way!

Looking at your lineup, it is very diverse - some I've never heard of! How is Blackbird?

Basenotes Plus

Blackbird is as great as everyone here says, noideawhatimsaying - but expensive

Hope you enjoy the MadHats

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Oddly, according to my SOTD log, all of my Sova wearings have been in Spring except for one.
    It's not one that I turn to in this humid weather either!

In fact, it's only been Zahd & Mare that I've been wearing in the heat here - we've had a much more humid summer than normal but I normally wear lighter stuff in the brief summers here.

Still to this day I like Sova the most out of all of Josh's creations. It's actually the only scent I own a back up bottle of in my (relatively) small collection. I just love everything about it, so I'm totally biased :P. I wear it a whole lot in the fall as it really speaks to me then, but it wears beautifully year round for me (since I spend most of my time indoors anyway!).
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I don't see why not. Sova didn't really fit me well - a single note really bothered me and gave me migraines unfortunately. But, it is a beautiful scent. I think the key with Slumberhouse is how you wear them personally. They're so potent, I typically spray the back of my hand, dab together a few times....and dab my neck w/ the back of my hand as well....all w/ 1 big spray on the old bottles...sometimes 2 sprays w/ the newer bottles as the head of the atomizer has more control.
    You know what, I have been doing some reading up on what goes into these Slumberhouse creations that might potentially irritating, and I may have found what has been bothering you, Ryan - apparently Josh uses an aromachemical called trisamber (which was made and released by the IFF) to create this oily, black, sticky effect that I notice in some of his scents. As a perfumer, have you been exposed to this and do you think this might be the x factor that is giving you trouble?
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Thanks

From my experience, and this is coming from a fan of the Fall, horror movies, haunted attractions, etc - it isn't wearable. While fully representative of the season, it's too pungent and offends many quite easily. I feel it's very appealing, but you have to LOVE its ingredients, and it's more appropriate of something to smell while walking into an area rather than have the smell come from you.

Claire, have you had a chance to smell Baque?
    Thanks, Noideahwhatimsaying - no, I haven't smelled Baque yet, but Colin Maillard is sending me a sample of it as we speak (he is so nice!)
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Ok, gang! Time to get my Jeke on!

Jeke is an interesting fragrance, but, in my opinion, it is not that wearable. Actually, maybe it would be more accurate to say that all parts of the perfume are wearable except for the middle part, and that is the part that lasts the longest. It goes from nice to awful to nice again within the space of its lifespan, which is an awful lot of ground to cover.

The opening notes are strangely boozy and sweet, like sticking your nose into a glass of single malt whiskey that has sugar around the rim – although that impression vanished so quickly I’m left wondering if in fact I even smelled it. There is also something leathery and dirty (as in animalic) in the opening that I really liked, which I am putting down to the labdanum, which my nose tends to perceive in the opening, even if it has to yank it up all the way from the base.

But then, oh dear – the smoke! After the brief opening salvo, Jeke pours out this thick, never-ending stream of smoke that feels like being directly upwind of an out-of-control campfire. It smells like beef cooked to ashes on an open fire, and also like being stuck directly behind one of those maintenance vehicles pumping out hot tarmacadam onto the road.

To me, this is the type of smoke that references black rubber tires on fire rather than the considerably more attractive idea of lit tobacco – I wish I got more tobacco here. Here and there through the smoke, I think I can catch glimpses of a plummy, fruity tobacco, but they are so brief that they do not provide my nose with much relief. Also, just when I think my nose has gotten a handle on the plummy tobacco leaves, someone whips them away from me, stuffs them into a pipe, lights it and blows smoke rings into my face. The smoke – you get the idea – overpowers every note that has potential to be pleasantly distracting and brings you right back to the central accord. There is no relief.

If you were to take apart the smoke note and look at it in detail, I think you would see that the smoke is the black tar and rubber kind you get in Lapsang Souchang tea. In fact, if you have ever drunk this tea, it smells like this – only quieter. I do drink Lapsang Souchang tea myself, and I recognize how this tea accord was used to build the smoky black rubber smell in Bvlgari Black, which I have been wearing since my teenage years, but here the note has been pushed so far that it distorts the quiet smokiness of the tea and makes it quite ugly. I presume the cade oil and birch tar are the notes used to create this phenolic effect.

After the ugly middle section, a sweetish amber and benzoin comes in, as if to apologize for what has gone on before. The dry down is (comparatively) lovely – I get hints of amber, resins, powder, wet hay, smooth leather and maybe, just maybe some more hints of those lovely, plummy tobacco leaves (unlit) that I thought I glimpsed in the heart. There is something fermented, comforting and “round” about the last part of the scent, and I enjoy it very much. So, in summary, I liked the opening and the dry down of Jeke very much, but the middle part not at all. Since the middle part lasts the longest on me, I consider this is an easy “No” from me.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Still to this day I like Sova the most out of all of Josh's creations. It's actually the only scent I own a back up bottle of in my (relatively) small collection. I just love everything about it, so I'm totally biased :P. I wear it a whole lot in the fall as it really speaks to me then, but it wears beautifully year round for me (since I spend most of my time indoors anyway!).
    Me too!!!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

ClaireV, Sova is a favorite of mine as well. I will encourage you to keep your eyes out. I thought it would be hopeless to get a bottle, but alas, one came up for sale in the 'For Sale' thread here not long after I began looking. People sell SH fairly often and so I think your chances are better than you might imagine. You might try listing in the Wanted section also.

I'm enjoying your reviews quite a bit. I have no ability to review anything with such precision so it's always good to see someone's specific impressions. Your discussion of the Hay note tells me I need to wear and search out that note again. I'm not sure I've placed it in my previous wearings.

For me Sova, Zahd and Jeke are the ones I like, though I have tried only a limited selection of the others.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    ClaireV, Sova is a favorite of mine as well. I will encourage you to keep your eyes out. I thought it would be hopeless to get a bottle, but alas, one came up for sale in the 'For Sale' thread here not long after I began looking. People sell SH fairly often and so I think your chances are better than you might imagine. You might try listing in the Wanted section also.

I'm enjoying your reviews quite a bit. I have no ability to review anything with such precision so it's always good to see someone's specific impressions. Your discussion of the Hay note tells me I need to wear and search out that note again. I'm not sure I've placed it in my previous wearings.

For me Sova, Zahd and Jeke are the ones I like, though I have tried only a limited selection of the others.
    Thanks, Danie! Yes, I really have to keep my eyes peeled for a bottle of Sova - would love to own it some day.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Today, I am reviewing Vikt. This one surprised me the most out of all the Slumberhouse offerings to date, because it turned my expectations right on their head.

I am not sure why, but I am very drawn to Vikt. Technically, I know I shouldn't be, because the opening notes are of a harsh and pungent black licorice, the likes of which I wouldn't normally put anywhere near my tongue let alone my nose. In fact, the licorice here reminds me of that salty kind that Scandinavians love, which my Danish stepmother gave me once and I promptly spat out, causing hours' worth of huffy sulking, tears and apologies. Piling worse on bad, there is distinct smell of something animalic, and not the cozy castoreum and civet type of animalics I usually love, but rather the folded-away-wet smell of a kitchen jiffy cloth that hasn't been rinsed out since its last go around the kitchen table. It smells moldy and more than a little objectionable.

But then, the truly horrific opening notes dissipate (and much more quickly than in other Slumberhouse scents) and it dries down to a heart that is green-resinous with bay leaf and slightly soapy / animalic in the vein of none other than Chanel's Cuir de Russie and the more recent Maai by Bogue Profumo. There is a hum of something dark and woody at the base, but the scent is mostly this resinous, soapy leather accord that I find deeply attractive and pleasurable to wear. There is something creamy or balsamic about the woods, soap, and leather here too, which contrasts nicely with the sharper herbal bay leaf. I am not sure when I last smelled something as horrific at the start dry down to something as sublime, and in such a short amount of time too. The only thing I've found about this is that it is not as dense or as long-lasting as the other Slumberhouse scents, which I put down to the lack of the black, sticky tar and oil notes Josh seems to use with more free abandon elsewhere. Vikt strikes me as being a very spare composition, but powerful and complex nonetheless. It just doesn't last as long as the others, is all.

Overall, this and Sova are the two standouts from Slumberhouse for me, with Norne following only a short distance behind. Like I said at the beginning, Vikt surprised me because it went from a scrubber (on me) to absolutely divine in the space of about an hour. Two thumbs up!
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Salmiakki!

Coincidentally, I am wearing Vikt today.

Me too and it's definitely my favorite scent in the line. I'm speaking of the most recent version. The EdP is an off-the-wall metallic-oudy-resinous trip. The newer stuff is a chewy, sugary, licorice couple with dark woods. LOVE IT! BTW, nice reviews ClarieV!

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Salmiakki!

Coincidentally, I am wearing Vikt today.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

Today is the turn of Mare, the last sample in the box of samples that Ipp so graciously sent me. Thanks once again, Ipp, for having graciously and generously provided these samples. Colin Maillard is sending me a sample of Baque, which I hope to review here next week, and then I am all done!

Mare is the most challenging fragrance for me out of all the Slumberhouse scents I have tried thus far. First of all, it smells completely different from a distance than it does nose to wrist. Up close, there is something vaguely rotting or even vomitous about the smell that truly repels me. But from a safe distance away, you get this beautiful waft of herbs, greenery, and a gentle fruity sweetness. It almost smells innocent, fresh.

Second, the scent is endlessly complex and shifts from one accord to another, so my nose picks up a range of different notes each time I go back for another sniff. Some of the times what I smell repulses me, some of the times, I find myself thinking, "Wow, that's so good!" The experience of wearing Mare is therefore a bit of a see-saw. In the opening notes, for example, the first thing I smelled was melon, but when I forced my nose back to my wrist a mere few seconds later (yes, I don't like melon, neither to eat nor to smell), all I was able to smell was either dill or fennel, something frond-y and green anyway - a very pleasant, botanical smell, not foody in any way, just natural, like swishing a frond of dill or parsley across your face. For the rest of the scent, half of the times I smelled melon (and maybe some apple too? there was a fruit note there that is considerably fresher and less "rotting garbage" than melon), and the other half I smelled greenery, herbs, some vetiver. Mare also seemed to me to be washed down with a fresh, salty note that makes you think of the fresh air you get at the seaside, although I hasten to add, there is nothing seaside-ish about this at all. Mind you, in Montenegrin, Mare means Sea, so maybe I am just imagining this briny air note and projecting my own reading of the word "Mare" onto the scent. I never picked up on any orris root, sorry to say. Although it is possible that it is orris that is responsible for me smelling that salty, airy note.

All in all, a weird little scent that I either like a lot or cannot bear, depending on the physical distance between my nose and my skin, and where it is exactly on its little merry-go-round between melon and greenery. It smells quite wild - fruity, dark green, veering off into something rotting and wet, then reigning itself back in again to smell like a gust of salty air. I can see why people either love it or hate it. It is certainly incredibly evocative and original.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

ClaireV - wonderful write up's - as a huge fan of this house, I agree with your statement of Mare being the most challenging (I own all others incl Baque, which, while being incredibly complex too, is something I love). The weird thing with Mare is that all I got was compliments on the 2-3 times I've worn it to work.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for throwing yourself in here and writing in such detail Claire - hope you enjoyed yourself