Code of Conduct

Default YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

This was my first bottle of "good" cologne ever, and sure, only having 3 bottles of cologne might play a role in how highly I think of this fragrance. Personally I love it's scent, on my skin it has great longevity and sillage (but far from overdone) from 2 sprays, and I got it for a very reasonable price IMO. I've yet to see a single comment on this fragrance on basenotes! Is it not liked by most of you guys?? Sure it's no niche bottle but for a 19 year old college student this fragrance seems pretty fitting, and NEVER have I smelled it on anybody else. My girlfriend is a big fan and I have received a handful of compliments from other girls at school. I think it's a very feminine friendly scent- and extremely unoffensive at that. Boy does the violet and basil leaf shine in this fragrance! Very fresh, lightly spiced/floral/sweet scent. So just out of curiosity has anyone tried this fragrance? I know La Nuit seems to surpass any frag on the L'Homme line, and I'm a huge fan of that as well. But there's something about this particular fragrance that I love. Maybe it's just my skin chemistry? I'm not sure, I sure do like it a lot though. So I guess the point of this thread is just to see who's tried it? Who's liked it who doesn't? Because although it's not a luxurious bottle of cologne, I'm a fan and would recommend a bottle for any novice fragrance enthusiast like myself! Let me know your input, I'm just curious to see some more word on this fragrance from you guys since I have never seen it mentioned before. Who's a critic and who's a fan? And who doesn't care one bit?!?
    Either way I will totally be buying another bottle when I run out 😄
    By the way thanks to everyone who's given me feedback this past week (I'm a noob around here) and my bottle of GIT is on route to my house! Can't wait!!! 😁

Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

I can't speak for others, but i own it and like it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I can't speak for others, but i own it and like it.
    Appreciate the feedback once again hednic! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

This post convinced me to wear it tomorrow. It smells very nice and I love it. The first and only time I ever worn it (I bought it 2 months ago) this girl at work that I like was sneezing a little bit and my paranoid mind convinced it's self it was the fragrance and I thought in my head "maybe she hates this fragrance, maybe it sucks" and I never worn it again LOL. I kinda forgot about it. For some reason the pepper in it turns me off but I just sprayed it now on my hand and I now remember why I bought this fragrance. The weather is perfect for this fragrance and that is part of the reason I haven't worn it because I was waiting for it to get warmer. But yeah it's a good fragrance but is it a staple in my collection, and a keeper to me? Would I go rushing to buy a new bottle when it's 25% empty... I don't think so...but maybe I can't say because I've worn it once. IDK it's nice and it fills that sporty fragrance hole in my collection. I'm glad you found something you like!
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

I had it and sold it. The fragrance was sugar water violet leaf on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox148 View Post
    This post convinced me to wear it tomorrow. It smells very nice and I love it. The first and only time I ever worn it (I bought it 2 months ago) this girl at work that I like was sneezing a little bit and my paranoid mind convinced it's self it was the fragrance and I thought in my head "maybe she hates this fragrance, maybe it sucks" and I never worn it again LOL. I kinda forgot about it. For some reason the pepper in it turns me off but I just sprayed it now on my hand and I now remember why I bought this fragrance. The weather is perfect for this fragrance and that is part of the reason I haven't worn it because I was waiting for it to get warmer. But yeah it's a good fragrance but is it a staple in my collection, and a keeper to me? Would I go rushing to buy a new bottle when it's 25% empty... I don't think so...but maybe I can't say because I've worn it once. IDK it's nice and it fills that sporty fragrance hole in my collection. I'm glad you found something you like!
    Glad I sparked an interest in you man! The weather is great for it right now as it does smell very spring-fitting. I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't like it, it's not anything that can possibly be found offensive unless you spray the crap out of it. One to the neck and one to the chest seems to work wonders for me, trying not to overlap the sprays very much. If I had any degree of a collection maybe I'd be able to stop falling in love with this one, but every time I catch a wiff of this scent it soothes me and makes me feel very confident. You know you smell nice when you walk into class and the girl sitting in front of you immediately turns around as you sit down, and then continues to "crack her back" throughout the class turning around and smiling at you. My girlfriend would not approve! ��

Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyDaBoy View Post
    I had it and sold it. The fragrance was sugar water violet leaf on my skin.
    I was expecting some negative feedback. Fortunately for me I have never experienced any degree of sugar water. The violet leaf and basil leaf are very pronounced on my skin, in addition to the pink pepper and very VERY subtle bergamot, and then complimentary hints of patchouli and vetiver on the dry down. I personally like how this scent doesn't change too much throughout it's duration since I find the opening absolutely stellar. I'll still smell the violet and basil leaves 6-7 hours later, no complaints here!

Thanks for reminding me about this gem, it smells AMAZING!!! I'm definitely gonna wear it more. It's balanced so perfectly with sweetness and pepper and whatever who cares it smells great!!
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox148 View Post
    Thanks for reminding me about this gem, it smells AMAZING!!! I'm definitely gonna wear it more. It's balanced so perfectly with sweetness and pepper and whatever who cares it smells great!!
    I'm with you on that one brother! Couldn't agree more with the balance found in this fragrance, I can't get enough of it! Glad to be able to rekindle an old flame for you, just in time for the nice spring weather ahead of us �� I sure can use more fragrances in my (nonexistent) collection and surely plan on buying more soon, however the day I run out of this juice is the day I run out and buy more!

Not much love for this one around bn. It's kinda more like 20-30yo guy style of fragrance. And I find that average bn members are around 30-35.

I am one in the few who is absolutely in love with this one! And I'm pround to have it, wear it, smell it.

Just take a look at my signature, you'll know how much I enjoy this one. =)
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

I personally like it, just like most or all of the flankers of YSL L'Homme.

Glad you like it so much. I will have to stop by the store and sample this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post
    Not much love for this one around bn. It's kinda more like 20-30yo guy style of fragrance. And I find that average bn members are around 30-35.

I am one in the few who is absolutely in love with this one! And I'm pround to have it, wear it, smell it.

Just take a look at my signature, you'll know how much I enjoy this one. =)
    I'm a year shy of your age group but I surely fit the staple! Much love for this fragrance for me as well man. Considering my lack of options I definitely call this one my signature. It's cool that you've clearly smelled around and this one still places at number 3! I love this smell, love love LOVE it, and I know that others around you love it when you're wearing it too

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I personally like it, just like most or all of the flankers of YSL L'Homme.
    As in it smells similar to the flankers or you like it like the other flankers? I own La Nuit and it smells nothing like this one, at least according to my nose. L'Homme doesn't even smell very similar to me. I personally find Libre standing on its own, very unique scent IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    Glad you like it so much. I will have to stop by the store and sample this soon.
    Most definitely recommended by me! It seems that body chemistry plays a role in this one based on what I've seen of people not having longevity or sillage, as well as the one comment about a "sugar water" smell. I'd spray it on your skin and see how it works for you. If it works for you like it works for me, I'd say a bottle of this will surely be a wise purchase!

Answering directly> especially that I also like the other flankers. Each flanker is indeed unique and more of an almost independent fragrance, yet up to a certain point, I marginally detect some of the regular, initial L'Homme in all of them- the slight sweetness, very fresh and versatile of the non-flanker L'Homme, reinterpreted, rethought and enriched with completely different notes. Strangely all of them harmonizing in very diverse ways with the "backbone", the starting point of the first ever L'Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Answering directly> especially that I also like the other flankers. Each flanker is indeed unique and more of an almost independent fragrance, yet up to a certain point, I marginally detect some of the regular, initial L'Homme in all of them- the slight sweetness, very fresh and versatile of the non-flanker L'Homme, reinterpreted, rethought and enriched with completely different notes. Strangely all of them harmonizing in very diverse ways with the "backbone", the starting point of the first ever L'Homme.
    Great way to put it. I completely agree with you. While the notes are different from fragrance to fragrance, I believe L'Homme did set this branch up for success. Very fresh and versatile indeed! Don't have too much experience with different colognes but I can surely say I'm a huge YSL fan! Was actually a hair away from ordering the original L'Homme with my bottle of GIT. I'm a fan of them all!

It's just one of those fragrances that does nothing for me. I am probably just passing judgement and ultimately being a hypocrite. (because it pisses me off when people pass judgement on something that they haven't really tried) So I need to smell this one out really, because I've heard good things about it. I've briefly smelled this one on a sample strip at Sephora, but that's all. I recall it reminding me of Polo Exploer, and Givenchy Gentlemen Only's top notes, 2 fragrances I do not favor at all. Next time I am at Sephora or Ulta, I will sample it more thoroughly and give it the benefit of the doubt.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It's just one of those fragrances that does nothing for me. I am probably just passing judgement and ultimately being a hypocrite. (because it pisses me off when people pass judgement on something that they haven't really tried) So I need to smell this one out really, because I've heard good things about it. I've briefly smelled this one on a sample strip at Sephora, but that's all. I recall it reminding me of Polo Exploer, and Givenchy Gentlemen Only's top notes, 2 fragrances I do not favor at all. Next time I am at Sephora or Ulta, I will sample it more thoroughly and give it the benefit of the doubt.
    No need to feel bad about sharing your opinion, there's no harm taken here. I would give it another try, and hey if you don't like the way it smells that's just a difference in opinion. I haven't smelled either of the 2 that you have mentioned so I couldn't really make the comparison, however I find that most polo cologne overwhelms my nose with an alcohol scent. If you got any hints of an alcohol rich scent from Libre you may have sprayed it too close to the sample strip (made the mistake on my body before). But then yet I can make a quick inference that you clearly know what your doing when it comes to fragrances so you probably just didn't like the notes! Either way, I'd say it's well worth a second chance!

Blog Entries

I like this one - own a big bottle, too. I tend to wear it in sprees. I really need spring weather to tempt me to wear it.

I thought it was an interesting take on the L'Homme thing. First time I smelled some on paper I was impressed with the herbal character of it. Then - weirdly - I could barely smell it for a while. And then - BAM - I got everything - the core L'Homme reference was there, the herbal stuff came back, and the longevity was phenomenal. It's just an interesting fragrance to me.

Absolutely agree about the similarity of GGO's topnotes. That's one reason I didn't even think about GGO - it's too much like L'Homme Libre, which I already have. The violet leaf thing is interesting. Some people here who get that love the fragrance for its similarity to Fahrenheit. If you can find the old threads, there was a big schism between the people who "got" the Fahrenheit relationship and those who said WTF. I found that fascinating. BTW I own Explorer, too. No harm done if you don't love this one - I really think they made this flanker to be a bit risky by industry standards, in keeping with the whole theme of the fragrance.

PS - Welcome to Basenotes, nKelly95!

I don't like this one. Smells like violet leaf scented laundry detergent to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I like this one - own a big bottle, too. I tend to wear it in sprees. I really need spring weather to tempt me to wear it.

I thought it was an interesting take on the L'Homme thing. First time I smelled some on paper I was impressed with the herbal character of it. Then - weirdly - I could barely smell it for a while. And then - BAM - I got everything - the core L'Homme reference was there, the herbal stuff came back, and the longevity was phenomenal. It's just an interesting fragrance to me.

Absolutely agree about the similarity of GGO's topnotes. That's one reason I didn't even think about GGO - it's too much like L'Homme Libre, which I already have. The violet leaf thing is interesting. Some people here who get that love the fragrance for its similarity to Fahrenheit. If you can find the old threads, there was a big schism between the people who "got" the Fahrenheit relationship and those who said WTF. I found that fascinating. BTW I own Explorer, too. No harm done if you don't love this one - I really think they made this flanker to be a bit risky by industry standards, in keeping with the whole theme of the fragrance.

PS - Welcome to Basenotes, nKelly95!
    Yup. I have seen it get compared to Fahrenheit, which makes sense, because Usher VIP gets compared to Fahrenheit.. which I personally don't see at all. Same with Libre and Fahrenheit. But again, I haven't really smelled it enough to determine. Man I would have given you my bottle of Explorer, I had a 4.2 oz, ended up swapping it. I guess if you do enjoy it, considering it's discontinued, the prices are not outrageous for it yet on Ebay, but they are climbing slowly. I guess it's not in high enough demand, like the status that happened to Escada Magnetism, Arpege pour Homme, and even Halston Unbound.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I reeeeeeally wanted to like this one because I had the opportunity to buy it at a GREAT price, but after 3 sample wearings, I unfortunately wasn't compelled to make the purchase. However, I absolutely love La Nuit and the original L'Homme.

Blog Entries

Yup. I have seen it get compared to Fahrenheit, which makes sense, because Usher VIP gets compared to Fahrenheit.. which I personally don't see at all. Same with Libre and Fahrenheit. But again, I haven't really smelled it enough to determine. Man I would have given you my bottle of Explorer, I had a 4.2 oz, ended up swapping it. I guess if you do enjoy it, considering it's discontinued, the prices are not outrageous for it yet on Ebay, but they are climbing slowly. I guess it's not in high enough demand, like the status that happened to Escada Magnetism, Arpege pour Homme, and even Halston Unbound.
    Yeah, Explorer is definitely a guilty pleasure. I wear it once or twice a year, but I do love it. Seems to be just on the edge of disappearing.

Found it on overstock still - surprisingly - going to have to think about it.....

http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beau...6/product.html

Thanks for the tip!

Dependent

Madly in love with the original, this smells like dish washing liquid. Not terrible, but no sale for me

Had a few samples. Kind of synthetic, but not bad at all.

Basenotes Junkie

Had a small bottle, got rid of it. Just too much. Libre is to fougere what 1 million is to orientals. Too over the top and eay to overdo.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Madly in love with the original, this smells like dish washing liquid. Not terrible, but no sale for me
    Was there a reformulation? I got my bottle about a year and a half ago and it does not smell like dish soap or anything in that ballpark at all. If they reformulated it I'm going to be a little disappointed since I was planning on picking up another when I run out..

I like it, especially the base, which seems to last forever on me. I guess it's that trendy synthetic woody base-type thing, but I must like that smell, or I just think it's done very well here. It's actually my favorite of the L'Homme line.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I like it, especially the base, which seems to last forever on me. I guess it's that trendy synthetic woody base-type thing, but I must like that smell, or I just think it's done very well here. It's actually my favorite of the L'Homme line.
    Ditto on the favorite from the L'Homme line, however I can't really put it next to La Nuit and judge them on the same scale. I think La Nuit smells just as attractive, however in MUCH different ways. Since Libre has versatility on its side I'd give it the edge, especially for a spring fragrance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nKelly95 View Post
    Was there a reformulation? I got my bottle about a year and a half ago and it does not smell like dish soap or anything in that ballpark at all. If they reformulated it I'm going to be a little disappointed since I was planning on picking up another when I run out..
    I doubt that it's been reformulated. This one abandons the coumarin of La Nuit de L'Homme, and makes use of a bunch of modern naturals from LMR, not to mention being formulated fairly recently. My guess is that the dish soap reference is simply the way many people respond to this fragrance. Where many of us sense it being rather natural and herbal, others perceive it as synthetic and chemical. Same juice, different noses.

This is one frag that the wearer just needs to fly solo on. Although I think it's worth asking one's significant other what they think of it, because I tend to hear people say that their spouse / partner / etc. either loves it or hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I doubt that it's been reformulated. This one abandons the coumarin of La Nuit de L'Homme, and makes use of a bunch of modern naturals from LMR, not to mention being formulated fairly recently. My guess is that the dish soap reference is simply the way many people respond to this fragrance. Where many of us sense it being rather natural and herbal, others perceive it as synthetic and chemical. Same juice, different noses.

This is one frag that the wearer just needs to fly solo on. Although I think it's worth asking one's significant other what they think of it, because I tend to hear people say that their spouse / partner / etc. either loves it or hates it.
    Thanks for the input Redneck, I feel bad calling you that but I suppose it's appropriate I think you're right about that. I can see how people may think it smells synthetic. Fortunately I don't smell it that way nor does the lady, so we're all good here! Glad to hear it's not reformulated, I think I would be much more dissapointed than the general public with the way I view this fragrance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nKelly95 View Post
    Thanks for the input Redneck, I feel bad calling you that but I suppose it's appropriate I think you're right about that. I can see how people may think it smells synthetic. Fortunately I don't smell it that way nor does the lady, so we're all good here! Glad to hear it's not reformulated, I think I would be much more dissapointed than the general public with the way I view this fragrance
    No problem! And don't worry about calling me Redneck - lots of people do. Redneck, Red, RP - they all work!

(My perfect shopping day includes stops at Cabela's and Saks, so it's no lie! )

It's very odd how a component that smells natural to one person smells synthetic to another, or vice versa. That's actually happened to me. I smelled a fragrance in development that had what seemed like a synthetic note I didn't like - it turned out it was a facet of a natural!

I personally think this is the worst flanker in the line. On my skin its just sugar water.
    All the other L'Homme fragrances are nice.