Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,493
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by nKelly95 View Post
    Was there a reformulation? I got my bottle about a year and a half ago and it does not smell like dish soap or anything in that ballpark at all. If they reformulated it I'm going to be a little disappointed since I was planning on picking up another when I run out..
    I doubt that it's been reformulated. This one abandons the coumarin of La Nuit de L'Homme, and makes use of a bunch of modern naturals from LMR, not to mention being formulated fairly recently. My guess is that the dish soap reference is simply the way many people respond to this fragrance. Where many of us sense it being rather natural and herbal, others perceive it as synthetic and chemical. Same juice, different noses.

    This is one frag that the wearer just needs to fly solo on. Although I think it's worth asking one's significant other what they think of it, because I tend to hear people say that their spouse / partner / etc. either loves it or hates it.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

  2. #32
    Super Member nKelly95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I doubt that it's been reformulated. This one abandons the coumarin of La Nuit de L'Homme, and makes use of a bunch of modern naturals from LMR, not to mention being formulated fairly recently. My guess is that the dish soap reference is simply the way many people respond to this fragrance. Where many of us sense it being rather natural and herbal, others perceive it as synthetic and chemical. Same juice, different noses.

    This is one frag that the wearer just needs to fly solo on. Although I think it's worth asking one's significant other what they think of it, because I tend to hear people say that their spouse / partner / etc. either loves it or hates it.
    Thanks for the input Redneck, I feel bad calling you that but I suppose it's appropriate I think you're right about that. I can see how people may think it smells synthetic. Fortunately I don't smell it that way nor does the lady, so we're all good here! Glad to hear it's not reformulated, I think I would be much more dissapointed than the general public with the way I view this fragrance

  3. #33
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,493
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by nKelly95 View Post
    Thanks for the input Redneck, I feel bad calling you that but I suppose it's appropriate I think you're right about that. I can see how people may think it smells synthetic. Fortunately I don't smell it that way nor does the lady, so we're all good here! Glad to hear it's not reformulated, I think I would be much more dissapointed than the general public with the way I view this fragrance
    No problem! And don't worry about calling me Redneck - lots of people do. Redneck, Red, RP - they all work!

    (My perfect shopping day includes stops at Cabela's and Saks, so it's no lie! )

    It's very odd how a component that smells natural to one person smells synthetic to another, or vice versa. That's actually happened to me. I smelled a fragrance in development that had what seemed like a synthetic note I didn't like - it turned out it was a facet of a natural!
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

  4. #34

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    I personally think this is the worst flanker in the line. On my skin its just sugar water.
    All the other L'Homme fragrances are nice.

  5. #35

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    Received a small bottle of L'Homme Libre today and really enjoyed my first full day of wearing this one, this is truly one of the more polarizing fragrances here on Basenotes and I wasn't sure what to expect. This one will be in the rotation this summer for sure, really digging the violet/basil accord, lasts about 4-5 hours on me.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  6. #36
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,493
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by coldmountain View Post
    Received a small bottle of L'Homme Libre today and really enjoyed my first full day of wearing this one, this is truly one of the more polarizing fragrances here on Basenotes and I wasn't sure what to expect. This one will be in the rotation this summer for sure, really digging the violet/basil accord, lasts about 4-5 hours on me.
    I need to sniff for the violet, because I will bet that was one reason I liked it. (Have not worn it in a LONG time.) Not enough masculine violets out there.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

  7. #37
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,727

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by coldmountain View Post
    Received a small bottle of L'Homme Libre today and really enjoyed my first full day of wearing this one, this is truly one of the more polarizing fragrances here on Basenotes and I wasn't sure what to expect. This one will be in the rotation this summer for sure, really digging the violet/basil accord, lasts about 4-5 hours on me.
    I'm one of the people in the very small fan club. I don't really like anything else from the L'Homme line, but with Libre I've gone through a 100ml and have about 5ml left in a 60ml - that's only happened with 2 or 3 other fragrances in over a decade. I'm a big fan of violet leaf notes/accords (Fahrenheit, etc.) and think it's executed surprisingly well this. My interest in perfumery was waning when this came out, I was primarily a strictly designer guy back then. This managed to rekindle the fire and pulled me back in. I wore it a lot between 2011-2014, slightly less since, but a very nostalgic one for me. It surely has it's flaws (thin, slightly boring late drydown) but it doesn't really bother me.

    I find it to be a year-rounder, quite versatile. Glad to know I'm not alone

Similar Threads

  1. ysl kouros or l'homme/ l'homme libre
    By ferdinand in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 15th March 2012, 02:51 PM
  2. YSL L'Homme Libre
    By leociccone in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20th December 2011, 05:23 PM
  3. YSL l'homme libre????
    By blueblood1808 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th November 2011, 04:13 PM
  4. NEW YSL: Homme Libre
    By Tonyprince in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 5th November 2011, 03:47 AM
  5. YSl L'Homme LIBRE
    By blacklibran1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 24th September 2011, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000