Code of Conduct

Default Iso E Super, Molecule 01, Etc...

Is there variation among the quality of the aroma chemical ISO E Super?

I'm always hearing people say, "Oh, Molecule 01--that's just ISO E Super...You can make that yourself for $10" and things like that. But I doubt it. Am I wrong in thinking some ISO E Super is better than others? Is a molecule just a molecule?

What do some of you who actually know a little about chemistry and its role in perfumery (as opposed to me) believe regarding the quality of ISO E Super, and whether or not Molecule 01 is a superior version, as opposed to what you could easily pick up in a basic DIY kit?

Default Re: Iso E Super, Molecule 01, Etc...

Actually, I read this recently on Scent & Chemistry's Facebook page. I'll paste it here incase the link doesn't work for you.

"Just discovered this on www.kaufhaus-mittl.de, … so apparently it is official now that 'Molecule01' is not 'Iso E Super' (6.85/6) but in fact 'Iso Gamma Super' (6.120, cf. S&C p. 207–214), though the ad says 'Iso E Super Gamma'. But if you inject in the GC you find only the 'Iso Gamma Super' isomers in 'Molecule01' and a bit of DPG, and that explains why those who simply diluted 'Iso E Super' to make their own 'Molecule01' did not get the same smell, and were consequently disappointed. 'Iso E Super Gamma' had been captive with IFF for quite a while, and thus it was strange that it appeared in the first launches of Ormonde Jayne that were allegedly exclusively composed by Linda Pilkington."

So, there are different isomers of this chemical and different products with varying proportions of those isomers - Timbersilk is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Actually, I read this recently on Scent & Chemistry's Facebook page. I'll paste it here incase the link doesn't work for you.

"Just discovered this on www.kaufhaus-mittl.de, … so apparently it is official now that 'Molecule01' is not 'Iso E Super' (6.85/6) but in fact 'Iso Gamma Super' (6.120, cf. S&C p. 207–214), though the ad says 'Iso E Super Gamma'. But if you inject in the GC you find only the 'Iso Gamma Super' isomers in 'Molecule01' and a bit of DPG, and that explains why those who simply diluted 'Iso E Super' to make their own 'Molecule01' did not get the same smell, and were consequently disappointed. 'Iso E Super Gamma' had been captive with IFF for quite a while, and thus it was strange that it appeared in the first launches of Ormonde Jayne that were allegedly exclusively composed by Linda Pilkington."

So, there are different isomers of this chemical and different products with varying proportions of those isomers - Timbersilk is one of them.

Ah ha!

Thanks for that link...very interesting!

Those isomers have different ratios in different products. My sense is some prefer iso-e, some prefer timbersilk, and some have their own ratio of isomers they prefer. I've seen the cheapest version of iso-e used recently, so maybe it's worth trying them all. The iso-e super seems to have some die hard fans still, even though Timbersilk is supposed to be an improvement, containing more of the most 'desirable' isomer.