Code of Conduct

Default Does clothing play a role?

I've recently discovered that the type of shirt I wear (cut of collar) affects the noticeable longevity and projection of a fragrance.

For instance, v-necks I spray lower on collarbone and chest. T-shirts high collarbone and neck. Work button up neck and shoulder.

If I spray in the same spot with each the experience will be greatly hindered.

What about you, do you have similar findings? Or are most of you into outerwear application?
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 30th March 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Default Re: Does clothing play a role?

For me, I always spray in the same spot with the same results for all types of apparel.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I've recently discovered that the type of shirt I wear (cut of collar) effects the noticeable longevity and projection of a fragrance.
    I definitely notice a difference, but for a different reason. I usually wear a black V-neck t-shirt under a button down or sweater. Some of them hold fragrance better than others. Much better. The difference is really shocking. I doubt most people would notice. The only reason I started paying attention to it was because Old Navy was running a sale last summer and I figured, why not pick up some cheap t-shirts. I was surprised by how, uhm, spongy they were. Spongy? I'm not really sure how to describe the material, but they have an odd feel. I didn't notice at first. I just thought they felt cheap, which they do. But when doing a load of laundry, I couldn't help noticing how weird those shirts felt compared to any of my other T-shirts. And when sorting a load of shirts to toss in the washer, I couldn't help noticing those shirts smelled more than any others. It's weird.

I shouldn't be surprised, really. Different fabrics will, of course, hold scent longer than others, based on the kind of material, tightness of the weave, etc etc etc. But I am surprised those thin cheap shirts hold scent better than thicker ones.

A material that absorbs moisture will end up absorbing fragrance too and, thus, retain the smell, whereas a material that wicks away moisture probably won't retain fragrance as well.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me, I always spray in the same spot with the same results for all types of apparel.
    Same here

Well I don't know much about t-shirts and cotton, but can tell you that I get amazing longevity and projection from only about 6 sprays of Kouros on my polyester leisure suit!!!

Always apply to the chest, under clothing and definitely find a difference depending on whether I am in business casual with a shirt and undershirt, vs. a loose fitting t-shirt, and then a v-neck which exposes more of the chest will let even more escape. The fact that I am wearing a t-shirt will also be indicative of warmer weather, which can help the fragrances bloom more.

Wink Re: Does clothing play a role?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Well I don't know much about t-shirts and cotton, but can tell you that I get amazing longevity and projection from only about 6 sprays of Kouros on my polyester leisure suit!!!
    ...only six...!?

I find fragrances project more when I wear a fishnet top.

I would guess materials are just as different as skins, so you might have longer or more projection from fragrances.

I am wearing my too tight Safari Suit in the style of Alan Partridge at work today, combined with a gargantuan slug of Joop Homme and people are certainly enjoying my presence -- well they all have huge grins on their faces

Quote Originally Posted by MimramMan View Post
    ...only six...!?
    Oh yeah six is plenty, I like to be subtle with the ladies....which is why I only wear one gold rope and limit myself to only 3 rings at a time when I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Same here
    Same here...here.

In my strictly personal case- apart from the extremes (very light-fabric T-shirts, short sleeved and polo shirts, thick winter clothing during colder temperatures) the clothes worn never or only minimally cause slight differences in the longevity, intensity etc. of the fragrance applied/worn.

Clothes doesn't matter, IMHO. In my case, same spot does the trick: on the chest, under my shirt.

If you want to get technical, if you strictly spray on cloths, you're going to experience a delayed progression from top to base notes.

Your skin will develop perfume faster than fabric.

But this doesn't mean anything in the real world - from projection.

Its not like you're going to smell 2 different perfumes.

Its only noticeable when you raise the fabric or your arm to your nose that you may detect a difference.

for swap/sale:

Perfume usually smells better on natural fabrics.