Code of Conduct

Default Whats the most disappointing blind buy you have had.

Now I blind buy most of what I buy and have liked nearly everything I have bought however a couple I have hated and others I was a little let down...especially in the price department. What are you top 3 blind buys and why? Heres mine:

1. BOIS D'ASCESE - NAOMI GOODSIR > Now I have posted a review on this when it finally appears to express my full disappointment and why but in short this was far from what I expected I like smoky and dirty frags but this smelled like a fire in a hot dog factory or the remains of a pub ashtray including pork scratching's, old spirits and cigarettes....while the pub burns down. 2 WORDS: NASTY & OVERPOWERING!

2. MEMOIR MAN - AMOUAGE > Now this was a hard one to put on here as I do really like it. I think the reason this is on here is because it did not live up to the hype I heard about it....and that PRICE TAG!!! again I have done a review which will be up soon but I was expecting dark, mysterious, broody, complex <> instead I got light, fresh and linear. It just kind of smells of fresh cut grass and grass when you rub it and break it in your fingers. Nice but not what I expected and the price tag for what it is is just insane! No where near enough silage or longevity.

3. BLACK AFGANO - NASOMATTO > Once more a fragrance that I really do like but once more let down by the price tag and the hype. This was supposed to smell like weed to me I could smell the finest bit of weed...if I tried smelling hard. I wanted a weed smelling fragrance and was very let down especially after paying £116 for a 30ml bottle. I do like this quite a lot however I think there is a cheaper alternative to this in DIRTY ENGLISH BY JUICY COTURE, I think these smell very similar indeed but dirty English is a quarter of the price, the dry down is nicer on black afgano and it is slightly sweeter and more intense but for the price go for the cheaper option. Also you want a real weed frag go for KINSKI BY ESCENTRIC MOLECULES. This was a nice frag but let down by the hype and overpriced price tag as the longevity and silage are also quite poor, more the silage.

So that is my 3 I didn't even include one that I hate the worst smelling frag I have but this was not hyped to me and not very expensive so all in all I just rounded up the biggest let downs in a general round up, liking 2 and only disliking one. Love to hear your top 3 disappointing blind buys and why
    Last edited by Highpriestofdarkness; 29th March 2014 at 09:36 AM.

Default Re: Whats the most disappointing blind buy you have had.

Wow, nearly 600$ spent on 3 bottles that didn't work out, I feel your pain, Highpriestofdarkness.
    I do blind buy once in a while but still do some research before committing to buy a bottle. I would say Encre Noir, The Dreamer and NR for him would fit that description. Nothing revolting about those scents, I just don't find myself reaching for them too often. And the price tags are nowhere near OP's scent.

Terre D'Hermes - wore it once and now the bottle sits.
    Azzaro PH - 1st wear was ok but I got tired of it by the end of the day, 2nd wear no problem 3rd and 4th wear I felt nauseated.
    Can't really think of a 3rd.

So painfully underwhelmed and disappointed by L'Instant De Guerlain that it now acts as a dust-gatherer

Bang by Jacobs!

Oudy Woody. Horrible

PdE Azemoure les Orangers , thank The Lord I only spent only 55 £uros
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Highpriestofdarkness View Post
    1. BOIS D'ENCENS - NAOMI GOODSIR > Now I have posted a review on this when it finally appears to express my full disappointment and why but in short this was far from what I expected I like smoky and dirty frags but this smelled like a fire in a hot dog factory or the remains of a pub ashtray including pork scratching's, old spirits and cigarettes....while the pub burns down. 2 WORDS: NASTY & OVERPOWERING!
    Agree completely. When the 2 Naomi Goodsir fragrances came out a while back, I couldn't stand either one, yet they were both hailed as groundbreaking masterpieces by many here on BN. I completely get pure ashtray from this.

Probably my worst blind buy was Bond No. 9 HSLE (aka Harrods Oud). Not the worst smelling thing ever, but not my style. And for $330, probably my most expensive unsuccessful blind buy.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Mine is Guerlain Vetiver. Hampster cage cedar and cigarette tobacco overload under the thin veil of citrus and vetiver. Right into the trash bin it went.

Shoot -- 3 duffers right there. A cautionary tale

Nice post though

Yep it was a bit of a blow still happy with 2 of them just not first. I really like encre noire

I really shouldn't blind buy but the testers are too much lol I just keep thing of it all adding up and then what I could have got with what I spent on testers.

I've been getting a lot of samples and decants, sono full bottle regrets. THe full bottle blind buys I did get, we're winners!!!

Nothing I decide ultimately to buy and add to my collection disappoints me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nothing I decide ultimately to buy and add to my collection disappoints me.
    So does that mean that you do not blind buy or are you saying that every blind buy has been a success?

A Lab On Fire - Liquidnights (or whatever it's spelled)…MEH

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    So does that mean that you do not blind buy or are you saying that every blind buy has been a success?
    It means that hednic has 8 quadrillion bottles, so even if he didn't like it, he probably doesn't remember it.

For me was M Maouboussin Generation and Jacques Fath homme this two the smell was awful to me Generation weird and chemical in the open spray the dry down I only can get a very weak smell of unidentified fragance that fly away quickly and Jacques Fath Homme give me head ache very umpleasent to my nose, I got many others blind buys but not as disapointed as this two.

One of my favorite blind buys haha. Goes to show you how different everyone is.

Mine wasn't a buy but a swap. I couldn't stand Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Men...just sold it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by trucupey20 View Post
    For me was M Maouboussin Generation and Jacques Fath homme this two the smell was awful to me Generation weird and chemical in the open spray the dry down I only can get a very weak smell of unidentified fragance that fly away quickly and Jacques Fath Homme give me head ache very umpleasent to my nose, I got many others blind buys but not as disapointed as this two.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Surprisingly its Blue de Chanel, and I can't believe I bought the 5oz.

Quote Originally Posted by leeroydaboy View Post
    it means that hednic has 8 quadrillion bottles, so even if he didn't like it, he probably doesn't remember it.
    lol!

There are some other thoughts here
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&...orst+blind+buy

Gotta go with Creed 1849. Not that it stunk per se, but I expected better. Sold it for a small loss, bought Invasion Barbare. Much happier.

GFT. Pure lemon Pledge.

Blog Entries

Platinum Egoiste by Chanel.

Hello !

There is no such fragrance by Naomi Goodsir called Bois d'Encens. Bois d'Encens is a superb incense fragrance by Armani Privé.

The fragrance by Naomi Goodsir is called Bois d’Ascese

Last edited by pluran; 29th March 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyDaBoy View Post
    It means that hednic has 8 quadrillion bottles, so even if he didn't like it, he probably doesn't remember it.
    LMAO!! That was good.. Hahaha..

I have a perfect nominee for the worst blind buy ever - ZINO DAVIDOFF. What a stinker

Black afgano is awesome though, but I savored a sample for a while before I manned up to go and get it a full bottle at retail price
    Last edited by JimmyP; 29th March 2014 at 12:23 AM.

Probably Musc Ravageur. I should have known better, but I fell for the hype.

The latter - I am content with everything I choose to buy for my collection.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

We all know that your a collector Hednic. Lol.. If you had to evacuate your home and knowing that everything you left behind would be destroyed which fragrances would you leave behind to burn in hell? Play along.
    Last edited by silentrich; 29th March 2014 at 12:50 AM.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer... just too musty for me to really enjoy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    We all know that your a collector Hednic. Lol.. If you had to evacuate your home and knowing that everything you left behind would be destroyed which fragrances would you leave behind to burn in hell? Play along.
    Not an issue. They are kept in a fire proof vault.

everything I buy now is pretty much blind...but the one I just couldn't get around to liking was Balenciaga Pour Homme....

Awful stuff to me....just awful

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Not an issue. They are kept in a fire proof vault.
    Of course....

M7.

For me they weren't really blind buys. I had sampled the scent and then when I ordered a bottle I got a forgettable reformulation.

My disappointments are typically caused by a great scent that fails in the performance department. And in that case, more than I could list.

A*Men Pure Malt

But it was my fault because i absolutely detest A*Men & somehow thought PM would be materially different.

for swap/sale:

Nothing so far has been disappointing. ::Hard knock on wood:: But I don't blind buy often.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I can understand if your purpose for the blind buying is to simply 'own' the fragrance then by definition everything will be successful when bought. I am interested to know if this is why everything is a success or is it that you genuinely have never bought a fragrance that you didn't like?

Lol yep of course for some reason I always get the names mixed up a I purchased them on the same day. I was referring to the Bois D'Ascese

I personally really like these but you are right they all have the a very similar smell to them Guess if you don't like one chances are you may not like the other

L'Instant de Guerlain (so completely underwhelming)

Fumerie Turque (unwearable, disgusting mess)

Santal Noble (boooooorring...this is what everybody raves about?)

Aqua Fahrenheit (I don't like how this smells)

Sova (I sampled the EDP and bought the extrait, found them very different and not in a good way)

DHI
    Cereus 7
    Dirty English
    Quorum (the vintage is great though)

So far, no blind buy went awry wrong- underwhelming at most. But thanks to BN, I was truly well-advised, so it was a much easier to pick out something likely to be enjoyed.

I'd have to say Joop Nightflight, which sounded great based on reviews and posts here. I tried it more than once, and just think it is WAY too much like some sort of floor cleaning product or something like that. Wasn't an expensive mistake, but I have yet to spend more than $80 or so for any bottle or decant. I ain't a rich guy
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus

Great Jones. Nope, can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    A*Men Pure Malt

But it was my fault because i absolutely detest A*Men & somehow thought PM would be materially different.
    Same here. Its not bad as such, just not that good and absolutely not my 'style'

Also in the Pure Malt boat, just didn't live up to the hype. I like the original A*Men much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Mauboussin Homme and M Generation.

I can understand if your purpose for the blind buying is to simply 'own' the fragrance then by definition everything will be successful when bought. I am interested to know if this is why everything is a success or is it that you genuinely have never bought a fragrance that you didn't like?
    +1
    Interested in that myself....
    Seems to me that everybody has some bottles, that were a disappointment and likely will never be worn. There is nothing to be ashamed about that. And although I research a lot of fragrances, before I will purchase something, I still have at least 5 to 10 bottles that were very disappointing and should probably be removed from my collection.

BTW,,,, to answer the OP question: Yatagan. The celery note was too much for me.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Banned

I try to circumvent this very issue by getting samples of scents I will eventually buy, but there are a couple times where I have screwed the pooch...Body Kouros being one of them. Another one was Curve Appeal...it wasn't bad, it was just so profoundly unremarkable that I was compelled to return it.

Nothing has disappointed me.

Jubilation XXV

BDC has been replaced by Creed Pure White Cologne. This smells cheap and does not last. It reminds me of a cheapie I smelled before, but I can't remember what. I can't believe they have a horrible fragrance like this in the exclusive collection.

U]Lacoste Challenge my arch nemesis it went from smelling nice to giving me the Pledge scent. I'm not a fan of spending $60 plus dollars to smell a cleaner. [/U]

Cool Water. Sorry, fans - this ain't budget GIT.

The good news: I bought it at TJ Maxx for $20 and could sell it on the boards fast.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Cool Water. Sorry, fans - this ain't budget GIT.

The good news: I bought it at TJ Maxx for $20 and could sell it on the boards fast.

How are they different?

They're different to a point that you like GIT but dislike Cool Water?

I only have a GIT decant but I'm curious.

It's that way for me. I love GIT but find Cool Water pretty unsettling.