Code of Conduct

Default Considering blind buying Issey

Edit: I wont be blind buying! Thanks so much guys.

Hey Basenotes. I'm new to cologne and only own two bottles (euphoria intense and bleu de chanel), over the past few days I've been doing a lot of research and even made a thread of my own asking for recommendations based on descriptions I gave of what (think) I wanted in a scent (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/377...48#post3105648). I ordered a bunch of samples based off of peoples recommendations, and am currently awaiting their arrival.

In addition to peoples recommendations from my own thread, I'm considering the following scents, based on scents from the "Which scent gets you the most female compliments?" thread:

Curve
    Hanae Mori
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    and L'Eau D'Issey

I found that Nuit and Issey were mentioned the most by a long shot (among the scents I bothered to search within the thread), though Curve and Hanae Mori were also mentioned a lot; Curve was too cheap to pass up, and Hanae Mori is inexpensive and different from other frags I'm sampling.

I've ordered samples for all of these scents, though I recently did an ebay search for whatever reason on each of them, and came across a 43% sale on the Issey Miyake frag: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISSEY-MIYAKE...item5d3c907be0

My questions are: Would this be a safe scent to blind buy? How long would you expect this sale to last? Do you expect that the frag may have been tampered with?

Thank you Basenotes members! I didn't know frags could be so interesting
    Last edited by izzoh; 29th March 2014 at 01:52 AM.

Default Considering blind buying Issey

I'd recommend buying the 2012 summer edition if your going to buy one.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Last edited by silentrich; 28th March 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Default Re: Considering blind buying Issey

Personally think it's a safe blind buy. Good price also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I would not blind buy it dude, I think it smells great but on my skin it smells like sweat... It's a good fragrance tho... I would have it if I did not get this reaction. Some fragrances that are safe blind buys in my opinion:

Prada Amber Pour Homme
    Carolina Herrera 212 Men
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Dior Fahrenheit 32

Also check out, but try before you buy:
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Eau
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Givenchy Gentlemen Only

Everything I have showed you are all-year-rounders. They all have superb longevity and projection. They will get you noticed and they are all safe and non-intrusive. Make sure when you sample try the scents out more than once. All my favorite fragrances I was a little unsure about at first and then after a couple wearings and many compliments you will find ones that you love smelling on yourself.
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Never tried any flankers but would not recommend original L'Eau d'Issey for a blind buy. It's really sharp and strong on me and I get choked really soon. May work for some people though as longevity and projection are both excellent.

There is a reason Issey Miyake has been a top seller for years...perfect now that Spring is our door. Would test it first before blind buy (even though that is a great deal).
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Eau d'Issey is an intensely marine perfume. Most people are ok with it, but some people (like me) strongly dislike this material, so you should definitely test before committing.

cacio

Probably a safe bet for a blind buy. It was for me anyway... If you don't care about the bottle, consider buying a tester. I picked mine up on eBay from pickyourperfume and the price is under $40 USD. I just checked and he has stock. Boxed testers, no cap, 4.2 oz. And no...it's not me.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Even though I blind bought Issey myself, I wouldn't recommend it. It is kind of a polarizing scent IMO. I found the opening citrus(yuzu)to be sharp and harsh and then the drydown got very floral and musty on my skin. Even though I didn't care for it, it did get me big compliments from the ladies. I recently sold my bottle of original L'eau D'Issey and got the 2013 summer version instead....which is a very similair, but more fruity and toned down version I can live actually with.

Im also new to the fragrance world izzoh and blind bought a few bottles... Like others have said, its definitely worth sampling a fragrance first and then buy a bottle if you like it.

My problem is that I just cant find the samples for many of the fragrances I want.. like L'Eau D'Issey for example.. Read all the reviews and watched some videos.. but I just cant find a sample anywhere for reasonable money.

La Nuit De L'Homme is one that you listed that you want to try out, I managed to get a sample of this a few days ago and its amazing stuff. Just like the reviews its got, I personally think you cant go wrong with it, but obviously try to get a sample first..

Don't do it without sampling it. I thought about it, then smelled it at Macys with my girlfriend, and at least the opening notes smelled like a bar of hotel soap to us. It's worth sampling it first just to save yourself from any disappointment you may have. If I blind bought it I know I'd be trying to get rid of it, not my scent

Where do you live? Issey Miyake is sold in pretty much every store (Nordstroms, Macys, Sephora, etc). You can smell it there and buy it online for the better price you've found.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchbrit View Post
    La Nuit De L'Homme is one that you listed that you want to try out, I managed to get a sample of this a few days ago and its amazing stuff. Just like the reviews its got, I personally think you cant go wrong with it, but obviously try to get a sample first..
    Huge fan of La Nuit and all the YSL L'Homme line. You can go to macys or Carson's or anything similar and sniff these out instead of buying a sample. Personally I recommend them all, I own La Nuit and Libre and after a visit to sephora today I was so close to buying the original. All amazing and different in my opinion, would highly recommend especially if your starting a collection as am I

Blog Entries

If you really want to blind buy Issey Miyake, avoid ebay as it is widely faked. I'd rather use Amazon, and invest on that $6 difference for peace of mind. Or get the 2.5oz and save $10 for something else. I also blind bought Issey years ago and liked it. Pretty good scent with lasting power.

Don't blind buy this.

Unlike other aquatics, I've found Issey to be extremely finicky with skin chemistry.

This is not a good blind buy.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Im also new to the fragrance world izzoh and blind bought a few bottles... Like others have said, its definitely worth sampling a fragrance first and then buy a bottle if you like it.

My problem is that I just cant find the samples for many of the fragrances I want.. like L'Eau D'Issey for example.. Read all the reviews and watched some videos.. but I just cant find a sample anywhere for reasonable money.

Here is where I ordered my sample of Issey: http://www.myperfumesamples.com/mps/...miyake-for-men

Thank you so much for all the responses guys, I wont be blind buying it- hopefully I wont regret a few days without it if I love the sample

This wait is too exciting though haha

Go into any Boots or department store and they will have a tester bottle out for you to try it.

Sound Scents

IMO no... But I don't consider it a buy at all as I loathe the smell of it. I would sample it as you originally planned and see if it agrees with you more than I.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

well i just blind bought issy 3 or 4 days ago and let me tell you

as far of scent it's great very fresh and masculine but the longevity is not very good because i think it's reformulated but if u can get your hand on a vintage buy all means go for it

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally think it's a safe blind buy. Good price also.
    This.