Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Ab Silver Lomani - the next Aventus clone?

Quote Originally Posted by smellyD View Post

How many sprays do y'all use?
    When I've used this, I've used three.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

How many sprays do y'all use?
    The sprayer is pretty crappy, usually 4 for 5....3 normal sprays if using my decant bottle.

Got mine today in the mail. Never smelled aventus but this stuff smells really nice. Love the birch (I think) I'm smelling hours later. Best $23 I've spent in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    You're welcome. I haven't smelled Insurrection Pure. If I understand it correctly, it is Aventus without the smoke. I like the smoky aspect if it is restrained. So I won't be searching for the Insurrection. Again, what people seem to forget is the aspect of the sprayer. The Creed sprayers are insane and blast out a lot of juice. The same goes for the decants of heperd. It's almost like taking a shower. The Lomani sprayers are good but they emit a very small amount of juice compared to the other sprayers. Which means that if you want a similar effect, you need to go for at least 6 to 7 sprays, if not more. The winner here is Lomani, since I have more control over how strong I want it to be. My Aventus decant is unwearable for normal occasions, even with 1 spray because it emits too much juice. Hell, people asked for a copy of Aventus. A true copy of Aventus comes with the nose fatigue because of the formula. It's as simple as that. People are expecting to smell a third world wonder, but it's just Aventus. They are dousing themselves with these big and blasting Creed sprayers and decant sprayers, thinking they are not overspraying because they "only" applied 3 sprays. In reality, they have showered with an EDP. Than they are buying the Lomani, which is an EDT, and they apply 3 tiny sprays which is not even a quarter of the amount of what they are used to. And some are calling this weak compared to Aventus? Just hilarious. The "pineapple batch" of Aventus is perceived as the God of all batches. Can someone explain to me why the Lomani smells more like pineapple than my decant? So the clone mimicks one of their best batches? Really? You know, this proves one thing about the people who are disappointed. People are judging everything based on the name of the brand and on the pricing. This has been proved in the world of wine. When you blindfold all these so called wine experts, and you let them taste a broad range of wines, they will mistake the cheap wines for expensive ones and the expensive ones will be mistaken for cheap wines. There is no doubt in my mind that these people will fail a similar test with fragrances. AB Spirit Silver is as close to Aventus as it can get. There is not one cheapie on the market which smells as good and natural as this.
    +1

Bravo
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

The opening smells great, it's when you get to the drydown that you notice the difference. For this reason, I'll apply Ab silver after I get home so that I'm not wasting Aventus on a nights sleep. There's a place for both in my lineup for that reason...my 50ml decant of Aventus that I bought over a year ago will last me another 2 years at least.

If it matters I got my very first ever verbal compliment today. I sprayed 5 sprays ( upper and middle chest and arms) with this around 9 and I just received a compliment a few minutes ago!!!!

One thing I've noticed with AB Silver is that it lasts and lasts and does the same Aventus trick where you stop smelling it and everyone else still can.

Maybe it's just because its summer or maybe its because I could never justify the Creed money but this is one of my most worn fragrances.

I just ordered another bottle for a backup or in case the price goes up. This is an amazing buy for $23 shipped. Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Puremugler View Post
    If it matters I got my very first ever verbal compliment today. I sprayed 5 sprays ( upper and middle chest and arms) with this around 9 and I just received a compliment a few minutes ago!!!!
    Nice! I don't get direct complements either, but I wore this to an outdoor concert and heard the people behind me saying someone smelled really good.

This stuff is legit. I'm curious to know the life cycle of fragrances like these. Do they just keep cranking these out for a couple years? I hadn't heard of Lomani till this thread.
    Using Tapatalk

Nice! I don't get direct complements either, but I wore this to an outdoor concert and heard the people behind me saying someone smelled really good.

This stuff is legit. I'm curious to know the life cycle of fragrances like these. Do they just keep cranking these out for a couple years? I hadn't heard of Lomani till this thread.
    Actually I think Lomani has been around since the late 80's if I'm not mistaken. They make some really good French drug store cheapies.(like Jeanne Arthes and some others) I have owned at least four of their frags and all have been at least average to very good.

This is the reason I got another bottle too. I'm curious as to the "shelf life" of their stuff. I would imagine that it would be similar to any other frags but who knows? I just finished purchasing black intense, platinum, and the original ab. All the reviews and YouTube I've seen makes it a win win as long as it's wearable. I mean I can't recall ever paying <$20 for a frag that has performed like this. I'm so happy I pulled the trigger and also happy that I listened to guys on this site and YouTube!!

Ab silver or insurrection pure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I just jumped on the hype train. I ordered a bottle from FragrenceX $22.95 shipped.
    I have never smelled Aventus, but hopefully I will be impressed with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomslayer209 View Post

Love ab silver and I have insurrection on the way.

You won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Venomslayer209 View Post

Depends....if you like the smokiness of Aventus, then Silver. But if you prefer no smoke and some vanilla, then Pure. Both are very close, but Silver is the closer of the two to Aventus, because Lomani has copied the smokey pineapple accord very well IMO.

My bottle of insurrection should be here in the next few days. Can't wait to test them both out

Ab silver definitely has the smoky smell down! It lasts and lasts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Depends....if you like the smokiness of Aventus, then Silver. But if you prefer no smoke and some vanilla, then Pure. Both are very close, but Silver is the closer of the two to Aventus, because Lomani has copied the smokey pineapple accord very well IMO.
    I own both and agree with this. Ab Silver is definitely closer... I never even reach for my Pure and should probably put it up for sale. There's some weird note in Pure that makes it smell cheap, but the presentation is good.

I have worn AB Silver a couple of times now and I really can't smell it on myself after a few hours.
    Last evening I took a shower at 8, sprayed on some AB Silver and I couldn't smell it on me after a few hours.
    I woke up this morning at 8 and I could smell it clearly on me.
    After waking up I decided to go for a 2 hour bike ride.
    AB Silver also survived the 2 hour sweaty bike ride so I am pretty impressed by its longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    I have worn AB Silver a couple of times now and I really can't smell it on myself after a few hours.
    Last evening I took a shower at 8, sprayed on some AB Silver and I couldn't smell it on me after a few hours.
    I woke up this morning at 8 and I could smell it clearly on me.
    After waking up I decided to go for a 2 hour bike ride.
    AB Silver also survived the 2 hour sweaty bike ride so I am pretty impressed by its longevity.
    Sounds like it performs just like Aventus!

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I own both and agree with this. Ab Silver is definitely closer... I never even reach for my Pure and should probably put it up for sale. There's some weird note in Pure that makes it smell cheap, but the presentation is good.
    I don't know about that, Pure has a certain something about it that is a carbon copy of Aventus (albeit a tad watered down). It even does the whole disappearing and reappearing act but it also makes you anosmic to it very, very quickly.

Ab Silver is strong, real strong but also harsh at the same time. Great once it settles down but the opening incinerates your nostril hairs, maybe that's the smokey note?

I'm trying to obtain a bottle of Afnan Silver Supremacy at the moment as I believe that will be the king of all knock offs based on the opinions of those who've tried it. A member I was speaking to told me that a couple of hours into wearing its indistinguishable from the real thing, only issue is its quite hard to track down.

My SOTD today, and firstly I’ll admit I went quite heavy on the sprays.

Now 6 hours in and it was dying down but having been for a lunchtime walk in the sunshine it’s now almost overpowering me. My skin soaks a lot of things up, can’t say I have any longevity issues on this. Still strong pineapples on me as well, not much of a smoky drydown now the sunshine has lifted it back up again.

Just ordered myself a bottle, cant wait to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    I don't know about that, Pure has a certain something about it that is a carbon copy of Aventus (albeit a tad watered down). It even does the whole disappearing and reappearing act but it also makes you anosmic to it very, very quickly.

Ab Silver is strong, real strong but also harsh at the same time. Great once it settles down but the opening incinerates your nostril hairs, maybe that's the smokey note?

I'm trying to obtain a bottle of Afnan Silver Supremacy at the moment as I believe that will be the king of all knock offs based on the opinions of those who've tried it. A member I was speaking to told me that a couple of hours into wearing its indistinguishable from the real thing, only issue is its quite hard to track down.
    Let us know what you find!
    Using Tapatalk

Mines arrived today. I'd literally only just applied another fragrance before it showed up, so I'll wait til tomorrow to try it on my skin. Quick smell on paper though, I can definitely get the Aventus comparison. I'm getting the pineapple and smoke, it's pretty uncanny how close it is to the sample I own. I'll see how it does on my skin tomorrow.

I got 2 compliments wearing this yesterday.
    A female friend at dinner said I smelled good from about 3 feet. That was at 8:30
    My wife hugged me goodbye at 5:00 am and said I smelled nice. Compliments from her are rare.
    Seems like longevity is not an issue for me. I was wearing same t-shirt as at dinner, which did one spray on shirt, as well as 6 to skin.

Dang guys, I just read the whole thread over the course of two days and experienced some real ups and downs. By the end I felt I had invested so much energy in hearing about SB Spirit Silver that I had to buy it (at least that's what I'll tell myself to justify spending 23 dollars out of shear curiosity).

I have ONE experience with Aventus. I went to Neiman Marcus and let the lady spray me with it. It smelled great and I could smell the sweet smokiness on my arm for 1.5 days - after a couple showers and workouts. That's pretty ridiculous. But there's no way I can ever spend $200 or $300 on a fragrance.

Suppressor made a great point about the Creed sprayer. The lady literally sprayed down my arm with one spray like it was a can of spray paint. No question a lot of juice ended up on my arm with "just one spray".

Either way I can't wait to smell it. I hope those who said AB Silver has the smoky/woody/piney/birchy-ness of Aventus are right. I liked that part of Aventus the most. I'll just have to wait and see! Cheers for a good read everyone!
    Ha - this was similar to what I went through. I figured after putting in all the time to read this thread on my Android via Tapatalk (30+ pages) I had to at least see what it smells like. It got a small sample of Aventus with a recent purchase from the BN Marketplace and loved it. If this smells anywhere near that I should be pleased. My sample of Aventus has gotten 5 wearings over the past three weeks and has about two left. Lomani AB Silver arrives some time this week and I hope to compare.

I have been following this thread and after receiving my Lomani AB Platinum (a TDH doppelganger) and seeing how good it is....I couldn't wait and pulled the trigger on AB silver.

4 more days and we shall see if Lomani hits a home run twice in one week . This is turning out to be an expensive hobby even at the Lomani price point.

I loved spirit silver so much that I bought a back up. Of a $20 bottle.

There is nothing more satisfying to me, in this hobby, than getting repeated compliments on these "cheapie" frags. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy come of my more expensive stuff, but I routinely have received more compliments on my lomani frags here in the past weeks.

I bought a backup bottle of this one as well. One of the best fragrances under 25$ on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    One thing I've noticed with AB Silver is that it lasts and lasts and does the same Aventus trick where you stop smelling it and everyone else still can.

Maybe it's just because its summer or maybe its because I could never justify the Creed money but this is one of my most worn fragrances.
    I'm wondering if it's playing that trick on me now, or if it's simply disappeared after 4 hours. I can barely smell any trace of it on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thehogester View Post
    I'm wondering if it's playing that trick on me now, or if it's simply disappeared after 4 hours. I can barely smell any trace of it on myself.
    You should ask someone, because it does that to me too, but my girlfriend can smell it after 8 hours at work.
    Using Tapatalk

My Lomani AB Silver arrived yesterday. First impression - was the quaility packaging. The metal box that it arrives in is pretty impressive. Make other packages look pretty cheap.

Now to the frag - it is very nice. Very similar to my Aventus sample. I don't get a lot of smoke from either of them, but there is a lot of birch. The experience is similar to my knockoff Acqua Di Gio that I got at Target. When I just put on the knockoff AdG it smells like AdG. This is the same type of situation - when I sprayed Lomani I thought - "Very nice, that's Aventus".

In comparing them at the same time (one on each arm) they of course have subtle differences. I'm very happy with my $23 purchase. Not quite as strong as Aventus. Sitll going nicely after 5 hours, but not as noticable as the real thing.

Update: The frag has faded after 10 hours. I only put three sprays on this morning and can still smell it close to the skin. It doesn't appear to be projecting any more. (My nose or scent fading - not sure which.) This is still better longevity than I have on most designer frags at $50-$80 per bottle.
    Last edited by SnowStorm; 31st July 2014 at 08:10 PM.

Default Lomani Ab Silver = Aventus? Yes, with a BIG catch!

I received my ab silver yesterday. I blind bought it because of great experience with AB silver platinum (which smelled (90%) and performed (70%) almost as good as TDH).

After a full day worth of wear, I can report that AB silver does smell like Aventus. Smokier and woodier...very & nice sophisticated. HOWEVER, pitiful longevity and projection (less than an hour). I sprayed almost 15 times, because it kept vanishing. It's not olfactory fatigue, unless there is something special in there that causes it and I don't know what that could be. I have sprayed it on clothes in different room (I got back to check in separate rooms), skin, skin with moisturizer..etc etc. It just doesn't last or project on ME or my clothes. Your mileage may vary...though I doubt it.

Oh well, a bit disappointing, cause though no points for originality..Lomani did do a splendid copy. If the longevity was anything like AB silver platinum, I would stock up on this big time. I would even pay double, for a 4-5 hr longevity, it would still be a fantastic deal.

For me..this goes down as a cheapie that "almost" made it. I won't buy it again. $20 or $300 a scent does need to last on one's skin at least 4-5 hours with good projection, IMO.

Default Re: Lomani Ab Silver = Aventus? Yes, with a BIG catch!

Sounds just like Aventus.

Don't get the grapefruit in the Lomani offering, but otherwise the 2 are very close. I think Blindfolded, pretty sure I could tell the difference off the top but the dry down would be almost impossible.

Silver goes 6-8 hours easy. Gets compliments 8+ hours for me.

And platinum is the bomb too.

Basenotes Plus

This is very similar to another current thread so we'll merge them in order to keep all of the info. in one place.
    Thanks.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I've had it on less than 4 hours, and I can barely smell it again. It's great for the first 2 hours, but then just vanishes on my skin. I'm jealous of those it works well with, I love it whilst it lasts!

I've had it on less than 4 hours, and I can barely smell it again. It's great for the first 2 hours, but then just vanishes on my skin. I'm jealous of those it works well with, I love it whilst it lasts!
    I must be lucky then, good longevity on me and I think my skin soaks quite a few things up pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post
    I must be lucky then, good longevity on me and I think my skin soaks quite a few things up pretty quickly.
    How strong is it on your skin after say 4 hours? Do you really have to bury your nose to find it? Or is it very obvious?

I thought there was a better Aventus clone out there?

Is it possible it was reformulated or they cut back to cheaper ingredients to cash in on the hype? I remember that Fresco was supposed to be a dead ringer that was hyped on youtube and the forums. There was a rush to buy it. People started complaining about performance (sound familiar?), and then it ended up on the scrap heap and no one thinks it smells like Aventus anymore. Rinse repeat and you have lomani, IP, and some other one that I can't remember??? Gerri or Perri something? I read reviews on another forum and there are lots of criticism about the performance of Lomani. So there seems to be a disconnect where some people claim its a skin scent after a couple of hours and other claim its awesome. Something doesn't smell right, so to speak...
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 1st August 2014 at 04:59 PM.

How strong is it on your skin after say 4 hours? Do you really have to bury your nose to find it? Or is it very obvious?
    Quite obvious to me, it's actually one of the better lasting of the ones I own. I keep getting wafts of it throughout the day when I wear it so it's a long time before it dies down to a skin scent on me.

Not sure if a copy can be reformulated so quickly and still maintain the "copy" smell. I thought changing concentration would also change the smell and it's not a trivial task to thin something down without messing with the smell. I may be wrong though.

If Lomani did indeed reformulate, then it will detrimental to the sales, because even a cheap copy needs to last for a bit.

Never tried Fresco, your observation is interesting. How long did it take for them to reformulate?

Sure, some folks seem to be lucky but my sense is that majority seem to be getting average to less than average performance.

i lost track of this frag about 5-6 hours in, but recieve compliments 10+ hours after the fact. I always gets wafts of it later on, it literally just comes and goes on me.

9 hours and still getting wiffs. I wore this to work today (did get some on my shirt) and its great. 80 degrees outside and between that an inside air-conditioning its still rolling.

Great stuff even when compared to other more pricey scents - I am really enjoying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by badnaam View Post
    Not sure if a copy can be reformulated so quickly and still maintain the "copy" smell. I thought changing concentration would also change the smell and it's not a trivial task to thin something down without messing with the smell. I may be wrong though.

If Lomani did indeed reformulate, then it will detrimental to the sales, because even a cheap copy needs to last for a bit.

Never tried Fresco, your observation is interesting. How long did it take for them to reformulate?

Sure, some folks seem to be lucky but my sense is that majority seem to be getting average to less than average performance.
    I don't know that Fresco was reformulated. There were Youtube reviewer(s) who seemed to be riding/creating that hype train. It was claimed Fresco was "identical" to Aventus and a good 8+ hour performer. People bought into it, price shot up, and then people started complaining that it was lame. Then the backtracking started. Blah blah blah. May be it was reformulated, maybe quality went down. Or maybe it was never close to Aventus beyond the pineapple top note. I don't know. But it seems that every few months a "new and improved clone" springs up and the old ones go into the ash can. It does seem many "unlucky" folks are getting poor performance. I'll wait until the hype settles down and try to sample it (if you can) first. I am sure there will be more claims of a TdH, BdC, and DHI clones and to hurry up and buy before they are all gone.
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 1st August 2014 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    I don't know that Fresco was reformulated. There were Youtube reviewer(s) who seemed to be riding/creating that hype train. It was claimed Fresco was "identical" to Aventus and a good 8+ hour performer. People bought into it, price shot up, and then people started complaining that it was lame. Then the backtracking started. Blah blah blah. May be it was reformulated, maybe quality went down. Or maybe it was never close to Aventus beyond the pineapple top note. I don't know. But it seems that every few months a "new and improved clone" springs up and the old ones go into the ash can. It does seem many "unlucky" folks are getting poor performance. I'll wait until the hype settles down and try to sample it (if you can) first. I am sure there will be more claims of a TdH, BdC, and DHI clones and to hurry up and buy before they are all gone.
    Too late. Ab spirit platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Puremugler View Post
    Too late. Ab spirit platinum
    I thought it was a Tuscan Leather clone? The whole new car seat vibe...I need a play book to keep track of all the "identical (fill in the blank) clones".

I thought it was a Tuscan Leather clone? The whole new car seat vibe...I need a play book to keep track of all the "identical (fill in the blank) clones".
    Haha, I don't know why people said "new car smell". It's TdH almost exactly
    Using Tapatalk

tdh in no way smells like a new car seat so no idea wtf people are talking about here vis a vis silver platinum.

Is it possible it was reformulated or they cut back to cheaper ingredients to cash in on the hype? I remember that Fresco was supposed to be a dead ringer that was hyped on youtube and the forums. There was a rush to buy it. People started complaining about performance (sound familiar?), and then it ended up on the scrap heap and no one thinks it smells like Aventus anymore. Rinse repeat and you have lomani, IP, and some other one that I can't remember??? Gerri or Perri something? I read reviews on another forum and there are lots of criticism about the performance of Lomani. So there seems to be a disconnect where some people claim its a skin scent after a couple of hours and other claim its awesome. Something doesn't smell right, so to speak...
    The same goes for the "real" Aventus.
    What doesn't smell right here, is the high amount of Iso E Super.
    The king of nose fatigue.
    It's in the original, and since the clone is a 99% copy, it's also in the clone.
    Like I already said in this topic, you need to amp up the sprays with the Lomani.
    The sprayer emits a very small amount of juice compared to the Creed.
    There is no way they would reformulate so fast since the hype is still pretty new.
    The ingredients of the clone and the real Aventus aren't really that expensive either when you see the price and packaging of Lomani.

I don't know that Fresco was reformulated. There were Youtube reviewer(s) who seemed to be riding/creating that hype train. It was claimed Fresco was "identical" to Aventus and a good 8+ hour performer. People bought into it, price shot up, and then people started complaining that it was lame. Then the backtracking started. Blah blah blah. May be it was reformulated, maybe quality went down. Or maybe it was never close to Aventus beyond the pineapple top note. I don't know.
    I love the fragrance community on Youtube, but you shouldn't trust them for 100%.
    A lot of these guys received huge decants of Pure Wood by Thierry Mugler for example.
    These guys love to get attention and create hype to get new subscribers.
    I think Fresco was the first Aventus "clone" and when these guys would smell a pineapple somewhere, they will make a big deal about it.

Basenotes Member

After smelling both Insurrection Pure II and Ab Silver Lomani I ended up getting Ab Spirit Silver because it is probably the closest in my opinion. Definitely missing the pineapple fruitiness that Aventus has so it leans more towards the "Smokey" batches of Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by cwu View Post
    After smelling both Insurrection Pure II and Ab Silver Lomani I ended up getting Ab Spirit Silver because it is probably the closest in my opinion. Definitely missing the pineapple fruitiness that Aventus has so it leans more towards the "Smokey" batches of Aventus.
    I get a lot of pineapple out of AB Silver.

Haha, I don't know why people said "new car smell". It's TdH almost exactly
    It seems a little odd that in the 2 years AB Platinum has been around, none of the early reviewers here or on Fragrantica ever associated it with TdH. All you heard was leather and a new car smell. Not TdH. And now that the Silver hype is fizzling and people are complaining about performance issues with AB Silver, all of a sudden we hear that Platinum is now a clone to one of the community's other favorite fragrances. A bit suspect.

I didn't realize AB Platinum was 2 years old. Are all the great reviewers at Fragrantica gone because no one there made the TDH connection, but the new car smell was the prominent theme. WTF. Makes no sense.

I'm not sure if you think there is a conspiracy or something, maybe we should get our tin foil!!!

I have never smelled aventus. So I have never commented on its comparison to silver.

Tonight however, I took my bottle of platinum to my local sephora and compared it side by side with TDH edt. The difference is minute. In my opinion it's 99% the same. I sprayed one full spray of each on my wrist at the same time and as of right now (2 hours into it) they are the same on my skin and to my nose.

I think guys on here are forgetting the whole point to these frags. When I pay $25 for a frag I have low expectations. When I pay $70 dollars for a bottle I have higher expectations. When I spend $300 on a bottle I have extreme expectations. When I purchase a $25 bottle that is of the same "family" as the $300 bottle and it gives me a similar smell at a "subpar" performance, I'm still happy with my small investment. There are always going to be guys that are dissatisfied with a product. There will also always be people that get a completely different experience from the same bottle of cologne. Look at all the aventus threads. They range from "heaven on earth" to "lady killer" to pictures of barbecue on a grill with a pineapple ring on top of it. Everyone is going to have mixed feelings and performance with different colognes. There is no conspiracy. In my opinion the only conspiracy is that some guys are a little annoyed that other guys can buy a $25 bottle that resembles their $300 bottle and they are on a mission to limit the awareness of such products.

I feel better now

if Lomani Platinum == TDH then LOL at the fragrantica reviews. Definitely a discredit to that community if no one made this connection. I'd say TDH is one of the top 5 most well known designer fragrances.

Well just like on here, there is no minimum qualifications to post or leave reviews on other sites. So you have to take guys opinions in to consideration.

Very new frag I buy I immediately form my opinion, then I browse reviews all over the web to see whose nose is similar to mine. There are guys that just get completely different vibes than I do. That's the way it goes.

But im shocked that people haven't noticed the extrme similarity between TDH and platinum. It's simply undeniable