Code of Conduct

Default Safest blind buys?

Reading another thread specifically about Issey got me thinking, I'd never considered anything as a safe blind buy before, but am now very curious.

What to you would pass as a "safe" blind buy?

Would this lean toward the more "mainstream" designer stuff?

Default Re: Safest blind buys?

When I think blind buy I think likable.

Green Irish Tweed is easy to like and its high quality.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 9/17

Designer fragrances tend to be more mass appeal, so you would be safer with one of those. Look through the notes on fragrantica and see if you really don't like any of the notes. Look for safer, less complex scents. That's about it I guess. Are you looking for anything in particular?

I think for someone, Solara For Men would be pretty safe at under $10. Smells good, has decent longevity and is inexpensive.
    Last edited by hednic; 29th March 2014 at 04:14 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm not looking for anything in particular, but I'm always looking for something. Lol

I've got plenty on the shortlist, about 50. Lol

It was more an in general question. A curiosity.

Blog Entries

I agree with Willanhanyard - if you don't know anything about the person, higher-priced and popular mainstreams marketed to the same sex as the person are the most likely to please.

Beyond that, I tend to size people up by what they can tell me about their existing fragrance loves, as well as their style, personality, and interests. Just their reaction to a single scent in the store can be a dead giveaway of what they will tend to go for.

People on here are generally looking for something "more" than the usual designers they already know. That tells me they're interested in novelty - something new to THEM. Mainstreamish niche like Creed is a sure bet. That's why so many new posters gravitate to it. But that will only satisfy for a while. People inevitably work their way toward things like Guerlain, vintage, feminine classics, macho classics, Euro-niche, CdG and more conceptual art scents, Slumberhouse and other "Americaniche", all-naturals, hard artisan, French small-house, cheapies, old drugstore, or even (in my case) newest release mainstream designer.

It's easy to be statistical with people once they've been on here for a few hundred posts. The bulk of the people here will like or love a handful of very reliable scents that very frequently turn into hype scents. It's just numbers. LIDGE is an easy pleaser. DHI - all the usual suspects. Guerlain Vetiver was always reliable - not as beloved as LIDGE, but a reliable "pretty good" to so many people.

Basenotes Plus

Bergomotto Marino. Pleasant, natural smelling, easy to ear, and a surprisingly rich late dry down.

"Safe blind buys" to me usually means clean, fresh fragrances that you can wear in an office setting.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Blog Entries

^ ^^ Yes - citrus and clean / fresh are very safe. That's probably why they're used for "kiddie" scents, too. No chance of offending kids or parents.

I don't think there are any 'safe' blind buys. Obviously, if you're spending $20 versus $300 like on the other thread, the relative loss is considerably different. It's like asking what is a safe way to gamble and really just comes down to what your okay with losing. I see people mention fragrances all the time as safe blinds buys ( YSL L'Homme for example or AHS) that I've blind bought in the past and have been extremely disappointed. There is no fragrance that I would recommend to someone to buy blind.

Basenotes Member

I don’t think there are any safe blind buys. I don’t like LIDGE and I can’t stand DHI. Citruses I find annoying and boring, and I can’t understand why anyone want to smell like a lemon. I love YSL l’Homme and think it has universal appeal, but then you see people who don’t like that either. So no. There is no safe blind buys.

Usually citrus scents that are reasonably priced are a safe bet. Lately I've been recommending Lacoste L.12.12 Blanc/White to friends. It has solid longevity, and a great juicy grapefruit/tangerine note, plus you can get a 3.3 oz bottle for around 40 bucks. Another good safe blind buy, and also cheap and some what more unique is Guess Seductive Blue. Unless you simply hate La Nuit by YSL, this is a Summer version of La Nuit, pretty much. Longevity and projection aren't as good, but you could find a bottle of this as low as 10 bucks for the 1.7, if you look around. Seduction in Black is a pretty good one too, and most definitley unique. Here you get an aquatic top with a tonka bean dry down, much emphasis on the tonka, as it blends superbly with the aquatic notes; most people who I have turned on to this one have thanked me greatly, it's a great bang for your buck. Most citrus fragrances are usually safe blind buys too. As I look through my collection.. True Religion, Blue Seduction, Eau Maximum, Clean Shower Fresh, CK Be, Gap: The Natural, Set Sail St Barts, Set Sail South Seas, IZOD, PE Portfolio, Ferragamo Incanto pH, Love & Luck, L'eau Par Kenzo.. all of these are safe blind buys imho, maybe with the exception of Clean Shower Fresh, because it's a little more pricey, even on clearence.. perhaps L'eau Par Kenzo too. All the rest can be acquired for <$20.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Allure Homme Sport, Allure Homme, Bleu De Chanel...about as safe as you can get as blind buys.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Allure Homme Sport, Allure Homme, Bleu De Chanel...about as safe as you can get as blind buys.
    As he said, Anything Chanel, especially edition blanche but maybe not Antaeus.

Perhaps Dior Homme Sport?

I think it all depends on the person, the likes, the usage, budget and so on ... so it's a difficult task to ask that. I blind buy almost 95% after researching a lot and ask information from baenoters, for example, and so far I had very few dissappointments. One of them was Aqua fahrenheit which one might say ti is quite safe. but not for me.

Invasion Barbare

Leans mainstream, but has a level of quality you will not find in any mainstream fragrance.

It's expensive, but that makes it all the more better to blind buy. The risk/anticipation/reward factor pays off tremendously, and makes it an altogether thrilling experience.

I know you like cheap fragrances. You've stated this previously. However...

Do yourself a favor: Don't buy the next 5 cheap fragrances you have set your sights on. Forget about them, and instead order Invasion Barbare. You'll be happier and better off for it in the end.

I agree 100%. But I still do ... and it seems that Chloe Eau de Fleurs de Néroli is the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    I don’t think there are any safe blind buys. I don’t like LIDGE and I can’t stand DHI. Citruses I find annoying and boring, and I can’t understand why anyone want to smell like a lemon. I love YSL l’Homme and think it has universal appeal, but then you see people who don’t like that either. So no. There is no safe blind buys.

I think that a safe blind buy is only useful when you're looking for a "beater" type of scent, something that you wear every day when you don't want to put too much effort into thinking about your fragrance. Sort of like those hardly washed jeans I wear every day because they go with everything and I'm too lazy to pick something else. If you ask for a list of safe blind buy recommendations, you end up with fragrances like L'Homme, Allure Homme, Bulgari Aqua, etc. that have a broad universal appeal but are not that interesting. It fits the requirement of general appeal and honestly, usually translates to "boring". And that's fine, but I don't think people ever find fragrances that really blow them away or excite them through safe blind buys.

I like to keep a small, capsule fragrance wardrobe. I own around 20 scents and am looking to downsize to maybe 15, but these 15 are the ones I find interesting, artistic, and that I absolutely am in love with. I may wear these whenever I want, but I separately keep 2 fragrances that I just wear when I don't want to think about it too much. Right now, those are Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water.

The safest blind buys are those where you get the fragrance so cheap that if you don't like it you can sell and recoup your money or even make some without much effort. Then everything is an acceptable risk -- the only thing you have to lose is time (both time spent finding good deals and selling). However, if you are on Basenotes, time must not be a huge worry....

I've bought almost everything non-current mainstream designer blind because a lot of things are hard to find samples of, or samples are 1/4 of the price of a full bottle, etc.

My best recent blind buys that I kept:
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    DHI
    DH Eau
    Rochas Man
    Kiton Black
    Insurrection Pure II by Rayene

My best recent blind buys that I sold:
    Escada
    Vintage Drakkar Noir
    Emporio Armani Diamonds
    Red Giorgio Beverly Hills

My worst recent blind buy, that I haven't sold yet but want to:
    Perry Ellis Night (some people love this stuff, but it reminds me of a lemon dish my mom used to make because of the dry citrus vibe without much sweetness).

Safe = If the blind buy doesn't work out, it's no big deal, and I don't dwell on it. To me, it's got nothing to do with office appropriateness. Some of us collect, some accumulate what appeals to them, others are looking for their signature scent, etc. It all depends on who you ask, their respective objectives, and their respective notions of value/appeal. It is all so subjective.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

My safest ones are Bleu De Chanel, Acqua Di Gio, GIT, Dior Homme Sport, Platinum Egoiste, Issey Miyake, Versace Eau Fraiche, Chrome, Allure Homme Sport, and Clinique Happy

Sent from Richard's Ipad

I call bullcrap....There are plenty of SAFE BUYS out there....I happen to blind-buy a lot of my stuff and like probably 95% of it....

As much as I hate to admit....Acqua Di Gio is a great blind buy, GIT, Issey Miyake, Bleu De Chanel, Creed OV, Creed MI, YSL L'homme, Versace Pour Homme, Gucci II, Gendarme, etc.

THere are definitely MORE designer scents that are "safe buys" than niche...Niche you have to be a little more careful with and know what notes you like and notes you don't....

I personally think Gengis Khan is a great "safe-buy", Acqua Viva, Hermes Terre D'Hermes (non-niche), MFK Amyris and Oud, Molecule 1, Escentric 02, ...These to me are pretty much ALL safe and non-offensive to most...

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I call bullcrap....There are plenty of SAFE BUYS out there....I happen to blind-buy a lot of my stuff and like probably 95% of it....

As much as I hate to admit....Acqua Di Gio is a great blind buy, GIT, Issey Miyake, Bleu De Chanel, Creed OV, Creed MI, YSL L'homme, Versace Pour Homme, Gucci II, Gendarme, etc.

THere are definitely MORE designer scents that are "safe buys" than niche...Niche you have to be a little more careful with and know what notes you like and notes you don't....

I personally think Gengis Khan is a great "safe-buy", Acqua Viva, Hermes Terre D'Hermes (non-niche), MFK Amyris and Oud, Molecule 1, Escentric 02, ...These to me are pretty much ALL safe and non-offensive to most...
    Sir, I'll raise your bullcrap I certainly agree with your logic and especially the differences between designer and niche, but I think at least half of the fragrances you list are ones that I don't like, simple as that. Bleu de Chanel, for example; I know it has universal appeal, but if I would had have bought it blind I would've been extremely disappointed but sampling alleviated that. I mean, I love AdG and AdG Essenza and think they're universal fragrances for a man, but I still wouldn't recommend someone buying them blindly.

Regardless of whether or not a scent is deemed to be inoffensive or have mass appeal is irrelevant to me. If someone buys a fragrance blindly and doesn't like it, it wasn't a safe purchase. This thread is proof by the suggestions. I bought AHS and YSL L'Homme blindly in the past and cannot stand either to the point that I swapped them away at somewhat of a loss.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyacl View Post
    Personally, I don´t recommend blind buys to anyone.
    I agree!

As far as im concerned its totally irelevant whether a fragrance costs £10 or £10,000. It still costs money. One would have to question the sincerity of those who perserve or take extreme offence at this. Are they a pushy salesman or promoting something? Theres always a possibility. Whats in it for them to convice you that buying something that you havent smelt is the right thing to do?..

I also struggle with the breakdown of notes in fragrances as a way of guaranteeing that you will like something. There are many fresh and citrus fragrances i love, but there are also many that I dislike just as much, and the same applies to other genres. No 2 fragrances smell identical and just because a note is in a fragrance you happen to like doesnt mean your going to like something else with similar notes or in a similar style.

That is a complete fallasy thats been proven to me time and time again, not buy blind purchasing myself but by testing variious fragrances within similar genres and with similar notes and realising this is the case.

I agree with the Chanel suggestions and DHS. I also think something like Tam Dao is pretty safe too. It is versatile - both for situation and season.

I enjoy blind buying. Blind bought about 6 things already this year. Will probably buy many more this year that way.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I would go with Gucci Pour Homme II. Non-cloying, pleasant fragrance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    • 75 positive reviews on Basenotes for a total of 82
    • an average global rating of 79/100 on Parfumo
    • an average global rating of 4.35 out of 5 on Fragrantica
    • 5 stars for Luca Turin
    • 9/10 for alfarom.

Yes, New-York by Nicolaï is truly the safest possible blind buy. And, incidentally, I love it.
    And I can't stand it.

Proof that there really is no such thing as a safe blind buy. But that's what makes it so fun.