Code of Conduct

Default Iris fan -- It's Official

I've been working my way through some irises recently, including the following

Naiviirs
    Hiris
    Prada Infusion D'Iris
    Iris 39
    Bois Farine
    Marchesa
    Iris Silver Mist
    Iris Poudre
    Chanel 19 Eau Poudre
    Iris D'Argent
    Apres L'Ondee
    Cuir de Russie
    28 La Pausa

What others do I need to try?
    Last edited by danieq; 30th March 2014 at 06:40 AM.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Default Re: Iris fan -- It's Official

Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Iris by Odori

edit -

also my favorite cheapie - Dior Homme
    Last edited by CapriDog; 29th March 2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added Dior Homme

Xerjoff Irisss & Aedes de Venustas Iris Nazarena

Seconding Iris Nazarena.

Blog Entries

​F Malle- Iris Poudre

Basenotes Institution

Well, the Chanel's for sure: No. 19 (vintage if you can find it) or 28 La Pausa. Avoid the No. 19 Poudre, I don't think its very iris prominent...but if you love powder then try Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle
    Hermessence Paprika Brasil by Hermes
    Iris Pallida by L'Artisan Parfumeur (a limited edition, a bit hard to source I must admit)

Also, if you like Infusion d'Iris then you owe it to yourself to try the Absolue version, it's fantastic!

I own & love Dzing! but I wouldn't call it an 'iris' scent. It's much more about the animalic / leather sweetness to me.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Carner Barcelona D600.

Bois d'iris by The different company.

Basenotes Plus

Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris would be a great one to try.

Yeah, but I wouldn't avoid No 19 Poudre, it's very lovely scent. Infusion d'Iris Parfum Absolue is very nice and has more iris than the previews version. Also, for me it came before Id'IPA, Ferre for Women, which some say is close to Iris Poudre.

I am also on an iris search, Iris Bleu Gris is on its way.... Other better ones either I can't afford or it's nota easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, the Chanel's for sure: No. 19 (vintage if you can find it) or 28 La Pausa. Avoid the No. 19 Poudre, I don't think its very iris prominent...but if you love powder then try Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle
    Hermessence Paprika Brasil by Hermes
    Iris Pallida by L'Artisan Parfumeur (a limited edition, a bit hard to source I must admit)

Also, if you like Infusion d'Iris then you owe it to yourself to try the Absolue version, it's fantastic!

I own & love Dzing! but I wouldn't call it an 'iris' scent. It's much more about the animalic / leather sweetness to me.

Seconding some Chanels. Including Cuir de Russie, where the iris mixes beautifully with the plush leather. And then the fresh la Pausa.
    In Guerlain, Apres l'ondee is apparently a nice iris after reformulation. So is the flanker to l'Heure Bleue, called l'Heure de Nuit.

There is of course also the most famous of all, Iris Gris, discontinued for decades and simply unavailable.

cacio

Edit
    Last edited by danieq; 30th March 2014 at 06:39 AM.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

La Pausa
    Iris Pallida - l'Artisan Pafumeur

for swap/sale:

Earlier today I rediscovered an old Evelyn & Crabtree Iris room spray in my dresser. I am not very familiar with Iris but it smelled really good.

Blog Entries

I also have the Iris Poudre Body Butter ​it is worth it! So rich and creamy and perfumed!

This one is light and sweet. Floral, not roots. I don't find it all that 'powdery'. More just 'feminine'. Normally, I don't dig a powdery scent.
    Last edited by kumquat; 30th March 2014 at 04:36 PM.

I've just started to explore Iris myself...
    I bought Cuir Ottoman by Parfums d' Empire a while back for the leather, and now as my nose has 'evolved' a bit, I can detect a really lovely floral mixed in with it (at least I think it's the Iris I can smell).
    I've used up my sample of Equistrius too, and have rediscovered Iris Poudre, although I think between the two I prefer Equistrius mainly for its mix of violets and chocolate, its also not as powdery.
    I'm looking forward to smelling 28 la Pausa when I get a chance to as well.

Another good quality and affordable iris fragrance is, in my opinion, Iris Sauvage by Pierre Cardin. Though officially a masculine, technically I find it more suitable as being categorized and actually used as unisex, since it has that particular kind of iris smoothness that works well for both genders.

Iris de Nuit by Heeley, Iris Ganache by Guerlain, L'Heure Bleue, Chanel No. 19 Poudré, 28 La Pausa, Ibitira by Xerjoff, PG 21 - Felanilla, Iris by Yardley

Citta di Kyoto Santa Maria Novella is often overlooked.

for swap/sale:

PG's Cuir d'Iris is a very pleasant, smooth suede-like iris.

Danieq that's a great list. Are you after Iris as the star note? Iris makes a welcomed appearance in Opardu, Skin on Skin and I Love les Carottes. It's quite a noticeable rooty and carroty note in I Love les Carottes. Olivia Giacobetti showing her fun and quirky side.
    Last edited by Xscent; 31st March 2014 at 09:26 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Dior Homme is loaded with iris

MPG Fleur d'Iris(its a very green wet iris)

MPG Iris Bleu Gris(a warm woody iris)

Miller Harris Terre d'Iris.

Others mentioned are fantastic especially the L'Artisan. Iris has changed a lot now, before it was always powdery but now you will get a lot of rooty earthy iris.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    ...I Love les Carottes. It's quite a noticeable rooty and carroty note in I Love les Carottes. Olivia Giacobetti showing her fun and quirky side.
    I love that scent.

-- Jack Kerouac

Dior Homme Intense.

OK, you can tell I've had a busy weekend because I just now saw this thread.

I would add Penhaligon's Iris Prima. It totally underwhelmed me upon first wearing but has become a go-to scent for me - I'm halfway through my decant already.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Yes Xscent, star note of Iris IS what I'm after for the moment. The most irisey Iris you can think of. I'd like an Iris up my nose, if you please.

Basenotes Institution

(giggle)

-- Jack Kerouac

Third on Iris Nazarena. I'm wearing this today and i'm loving it. It smells like a very chic Iris fragrance, powdery, rooty, slightly creamy. Quality stuff.
    Modern Chanel No 19 in pure parfum has a lovely powdery iris two.
    If you want you iris with some violet, you could try Odori Iris.
    I'd also recommend you Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue, Yves Rocher Iris Noir, Serge Lutens Bas de Soie, Cartier L'Heure Convoitee II, L'Heure Promisse I (which is basically iris, sandalwood and green/grassy notes, i love it on summer)

Y'all have convinced me to try Iris Nazrena, found a split! Yay!

I suspect you'll love it danieq

I have an added question for you all. What is the most Iris heavy scent. Not just the best, but the strongest Iris.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I have an added question for you all. What is the most Iris heavy scent. Not just the best, but the strongest Iris.
    Of those I've tried, Iris Silver Mist.

Long post alert. I have read a lot about irises, so here are some of my thoughts on the subject.

From what I have read, there are a few indisputable classics in the category:

Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    Xerjoff Irisss
    L'Artisan Iris Pallida
    Infusion d'Iris
    Hiris
    Iris Poudre

Have you ever read Luca Turin's introduction to Perfumes: The Guide? He describes 2 categories of perfume: representative and abstract. Representative scents are those that are supposed to smell nearly like the real-life thing: for example, Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose is a great representation of the smell of roses. An abstract scent, on the other hand, would be something like Chanel No.5: it has floral components but when you smell it, it's nothing you can sniff and put your finger on and say "This smells exactly like x smells."

The interesting thing about iris perfumes is that they are nearly smack-dab in the middle of representative and abstract. They are based around the root, not the flower. Have you ever smelled an iris root? I haven't -- I only know the note from perfumes. Iris perfumes are abstract in that most explore different facets of the representative smell of iris root. Some highlight iris with incense, others with green notes, some with woods, others vanilla, or aldehydes.

So as far as a "most irissy iris," I don't know how to answer. I have seen some say Xerjoff Irisss is the "most irissy iris" (but I've never tried it, as I just haven't yet felt like shelling out the money for it when there are plenty of beautiful irises out there). Others say Iris Silver Mist is the iris to end all irises.

The following is an excellent article on many different categories of iris:

http://perfumeposse.com/2013/06/10/b...hensive-guide/

I personally feel it is most useful to focus on the abstract aspect of irises rather than the representative. There is an iris for every mood: in your iris explorations, you'll find a somber iris (perhaps Iris Silver Mist), a bright iris (Hiris), a formal iris (Iris Poudre), a masculine iris (Iris Nazarena), a serene iris (Silver Iris), a cozy iris (VC&A Bois d'Iris), an edible iris (Iris Ganache), a straightforward iris (Iris d'Argent), etc, etc.

Therein lies the beauty in irises: not in the representation, but in the interpretation.
    Last edited by ErinK; 2nd April 2014 at 01:25 AM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

+1 for Iris de Nuit, Iris Nazarena, Impossible Iris, VC&A Bois d'Iris, PG Cuir d'Iris, Iris Silver Mist, and PG Felanilla -- the craziest, cross-dressing iris you'll ever encounter

Two others no one has mentioned are PG Iris Oriental and Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman.

And to think -- a year ago I was convinced I couldn't wear and didn't like iris. Insanity!

(Love your post, ErinK!!)

Great post ErinK. I've enjoyed reading this thread, and agree with much of what is said. Personally, for me, the iris lover, I prefer to not have it be the overriding smell. I love how the different aspects are represented in so many different ways - moods as Erin says - and I agree. I love the Chanel Exclusif line largely because of the prominent iris in many of them. I love iris and leather, iris atop or supporting other florals, iris as a powder aspect, and iris mixed with various other main players (woods being another fav). It is my favorite perfume note, mostly because it is able to express itself in so very many different ways.

I suppose Iris Silver Mist is the most pure rendition of the note that I have smelled, but ironically, I have never been swayed to purchase it. It is more of a reference to me, not necessarily one that I want to wear often.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post

Have you ever read Luca Turin's introduction to Perfumes: The Guide? He describes 2 categories of perfume: representative and abstract. Representative scents are those that are supposed to smell nearly like the real-life thing: for example, Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose is a great representation of the smell of roses. An abstract scent, on the other hand, would be something like Chanel No.5: it has floral components but when you smell it, it's nothing you can sniff and put your finger on and say "This smells exactly like x smells."

The interesting thing about iris perfumes is that they are nearly smack-dab in the middle of representative and abstract. They are based around the root, not the flower. Have you ever smelled an iris root? I haven't -- I only know the note from perfumes. Iris perfumes are abstract in that most explore different facets of the representative smell of iris root. Some highlight iris with incense, others with green notes, some with woods, others vanilla, or aldehydes.

So as far as a "most irissy iris," I don't know how to answer. I have seen some say Xerjoff Irisss is the "most irissy iris" (but I've never tried it, as I just haven't yet felt like shelling out the money for it when there are plenty of beautiful irises out there). Others say Iris Silver Mist is the iris to end all irises.

The following is an excellent article on many different categories of iris:

http://perfumeposse.com/2013/06/10/b...hensive-guide/

I personally feel it is most useful to focus on the abstract aspect of irises rather than the representative. There is an iris for every mood: in your iris explorations, you'll find a somber iris (perhaps Iris Silver Mist), a bright iris (Hiris), a formal iris (Iris Poudre), a masculine iris (Iris Nazarena), a serene iris (Silver Iris), a cozy iris (VC&A Bois d'Iris), an edible iris (Iris Ganache), a straightforward iris (Iris d'Argent), etc, etc.

Therein lies the beauty in irises: not in the representation, but in the interpretation.
    Good point.

It's a point I've been bringing up for years now.

The other day I fortunate to chance upon done iris at my local florist. But alas, they were scentless.
    A friend said some iris flowers do have scent.

But the majority of us are going by what iris smells like based on perfumes that are deemed 'chock full of iris' by people on the internet.

The two types are rooty & flowery.

Iris Silver Mist being the rooty rep in this case.

If Iris Silver Mist is indeed what the root smells like, then yes Xerjoff's Irisss is a very strong contender. It's as intense as ISM. But intensity is not everything, balance composition is far more important & hence why I prefer ISM over Irisss.

Then iris Nazarena, Iris Prima & Iris Pallida ask qualify.

But personally I look no further than ISM & l'Artisan's masterpiece Iris Pallida.

for swap/sale:

I should mention, I have actually smelled Iris (labeled as orris on the bottles) essential oil from Chanel, Dior & Le Labo.

They smelled like ISM.

for swap/sale:

From what i remember, is Iris Silver Mist. The most intense and haunting iris ever made and this was what lutens asked mauricel roucel to do.

One more, danieq: Parfums DelRae Mythique, which highlights the rooty aspects of iris, presented as suede. Not as sweet or fruity as Daim Blond -- another of my favorite irises -- and not as rooty as Iris Silver Mist.

Iris Nazarena was my sotd today.

Loved the rooty opening.
    But that was gone in an hour.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Iris Nazarena was my sotd today.

Loved the rooty opening.
    But that was gone in an hour.
    The first time I smelled the opening of Iris Nazarena I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - so carroty/rooty you can almost taste it. When that was gone, however, it turned VERY masculine on me. I smelled like a man, or, to be more specific, a mechanic, it was so woody & smoky I felt like I was wearing gasoline exhaust fumes. So, props to you gals who can wear this one - I sure can't - more power to you!

You're right! A couple of hours into it & it reminded of some designer men's I wrote a decade ago. Not bad smelling per se but very nondescript.
    Not worthy of the Aedes de Venustas endorsement imo.

The same exact experience applies to Iris Prima.

for swap/sale:

+1 for Equistrius , it's a splendid and complex iris, one of the best I've known so far. Also, L'homme de coeur by Divine was a really interesting take on iris - fresh, grey, kind of cold and metallic. Finally also Daimiris by Laboratorio Olfattivo is quite good.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 2nd April 2014 at 08:51 PM.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Costume National - 21
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Thanks ErinK for that wonderful post! Loved reading the article you posted.

And thanks to all for your insights and suggestions. I'm taking copious notes!

Wearing Iris Silver Mist from a small sample this morning and really digging that earthy feel it has. It's certainly not powdery, but I am finding it addicting.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:08 PM.

Basenotes Institution

IMO danieq it's gonna be hard for any of the above suggestions to beat out Iris Silver Mist.

-- Jack Kerouac

I did try dior Homme and Homme Intense last week and I found them very heavy on the gourmand end, which I didn't end up liking. The Iris was overpowered. Too bad, the price is nice.

One I found and enjoyed was Bvlgari Amethyste

Last night I went to bed in a LOT of Hiris due to spilling and with so much, that was overpowering. Will try again with a lighter touch.

I get the feeling you are right Mike, based on all the similar opinions to be found. I wish it was easier to get here.
    Last edited by danieq; 8th April 2014 at 03:52 PM.

Got my hands on Infusion D'Iris Absolue and fell instantly in love with its soft, roots beauty.

Now, if only that Iris 39 split would fill!

I have ISM and Nazrena on the way to me. Yum! Seems to me that the four of these might make up the perfect Iris quad.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Narciso Rodriguez For Him Eau de Parfum Intense. An explosion of iris right out of the box. Touted as 'unisex' despite the 'For Him' labeling
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Nazarena's rooty iris was perfect, the first 30 mins. Then the rooty iris dissipated.

for swap/sale:

I seem to recall reading that you had said this before Hedonist. I hope my skin responds differently, but I guess we shall see. I've got just a decant coming my way.

Kbe, I need to look that one up as well. It seems to have been discontinued, but the musk looks to be pretty similar.
    Last edited by danieq; 11th April 2014 at 05:44 PM.

I hope so too Danieq.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

Two others to try KM Iris Poupre and KM Iris d'Argent.

If you want something with the iris, I love MPG Bois de Turquie

While I wear and appreciate ISM, I have to give Iris 39 my vote for favourite! I like the warmth given by the patchouli, over the coolness found in Heeley, ISM, etc

Basenotes Institution

Got my hands on Infusion D'Iris Absolue and fell instantly in love with its soft, roots beauty.

Now, if only that Iris 39 split would fill!

I have ISM and Nazrena on the way to me. Yum! Seems to me that the four of these might make up the perfect Iris quad.
    I agree! Good luck

-- Jack Kerouac

I still haven't received the Iris Nazrena, but I thought I'd share what my findings are having tried many others.

My favorites are, in the following order

Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue
    Le Labo Iris 39 (this is from a very generous spray sample of the massage oil that a kind basenoter sent to me, hoping the EdP isn't much different, but that silly split won't fill. I'll end up forced to buy the rest of the 100ml remaining at this rate if things don't move along!)
    Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist

There are a new others that I want to try, but I feel pretty confident I've found my HG Irises.

There are a new others that I want to try, but I feel pretty confident I've found my HG Irises.
    Did you try Mare yet though?

Thumbs up Re: Iris fan -- It's Official

Another big Iris fan, here.
    Some of my favorites are ISM, Iris 39, Iris Pallida (wearing today), L'eau d'Hiver, Lab. Olfattivo Nirmal, Cuir d'Iris, Iris Oriental, Iris de Nuit, 28 La Pausa, Iris Ukiyoe'.
    And the aforementioned Mare.

I was a tad underwhelmed by Iris Nazarena, which started nicely but evolved rather quickly to an amber-y scent. For me. But I reserve the right to change my mind!
    Last edited by james1051; 21st May 2014 at 05:38 PM.

I have a sample of Mare, but keep forgetting to try it. I did sniff it once on the skin and didn't like it, but it really wasn't a fair chance. Well, and it's discontinued, so the idea of loving it and not being able to get it (which is what happens with the SH scents I seem to love the most) is too much to bear.