Code of Conduct

Default Has a fragrance ever made you physically angry?

I just sprayed on some Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale from a sample onto my arm. I don't know what it is but I just feel really angry upon smelling it. I think it's a mediocre and lacking scent but I'm not angry about that. Maybe I had a bad experience with someone who wore this and subconsciously I'm super upset? I don't know. I just feel really weird. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Has a scent ever made you angry?

Default Re: Has a fragrance ever made you physically angry?

no.

"Your Honor, the defendant was wearing A*Men for the first time, and therefore cannot be held responsible for his actions. The defense rests."
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

No. Has never happened to me.
    Last edited by hednic; 30th March 2014 at 12:15 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Only when its an expensive blind buy that I didn't like.

Basenotes Plus

Yes

When the scent gets many compliments, projects to my neighbor's house, and lasts to the next day.

Dior Fahrenheit, it made me want to destroy the bottle and stock at the spot, at sephora where I tested it. Extremely horrible frag, or maybe I'm just a hater...

But seriously, that stuff reeks badddd

no...but I had one that made me horny once...

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Definitely!

LMAO!!! Best response I've seen in a long time

Hilarious!!! LOL!!!
    My answer is no... Not mad... Horny? Well..........

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Only when its an expensive blind buy that I didn't like.
    Qft

only when there's a big gap between expectations and reality, like if it were a scent that was well regarded by the community, or a perfumer/house I respected and then I smelled it and was shocked at how boring or unbalanced it was etc. I've been upset by some of the more recent Guerlains for example. Like with Hermes, at least they're going in a certain new (Ellena) direction but they're taking a position. Guerlain, where's the history gone?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Before I say this, I want it known that I am not hijacking this thread and it's not a joke:

I was mad I waited so long to try Aventus. I ignored it forever because of the hype. I didn't want to like it. Once I put it on my skin, I knew how incredible it is. It literally made me angry that I let a hype train cause me to avoid sampling. From now on, I'll sample anything and make my own decisions without interference.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Physically angry? No. Physically ill, YES!

Dependent

Gold Man. When I buy fragrances I want to begin wearing it right away. I tested Gold Man in the middle of June...

No, however, I have been physically angry numerous times when they discontinue such great scents. Most recently I wanna punch whoever's decision it was at Lanvin to drop Arpege pour Homme. Like I literally wanna strangle that person/people.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    Before I say this, I want it known that I am not hijacking this thread and it's not a joke:

I was mad I waited so long to try Aventus. I ignored it forever because of the hype. I didn't want to like it. Once I put it on my skin, I knew how incredible it is. It literally made me angry that I let a hype train cause me to avoid sampling. From now on, I'll sample anything and make my own decisions without interference.
    Thank you for the disclaimer.

I've heard SAs talk about people having big emotional reactions upon smelling perfumes. Usually it involves crying. The JAR SA at Bergdorfs said occasionally people break down crying when they smell one of the JAR fragrances. The SA who sprayed Norne on a card for me said she burst into tears the first time she smelled it. I read someone say something similar about another perfume just recently, but can't remember which one.

This has never happened to me. I actually can't imagine being that emotionally affected by a fragrance unless there was some intense association with a memory, but so far no luck. At first I thought maybe there's something wrong with me, or maybe I just haven't found the "right" fragrance that's going to make me curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb, but now I'm pretty sure I'm too cold and heartless for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I've heard SAs talk about people having big emotional reactions upon smelling perfumes. Usually it involves crying. The JAR SA at Bergdorfs said occasionally people break down crying when they smell one of the JAR fragrances. The SA who sprayed Norne on a card for me said she burst into tears the first time she smelled it. I read someone say something similar about another perfume just recently, but can't remember which one.

This has never happened to me. I actually can't imagine being that emotionally affected by a fragrance unless there was some intense association with a memory, but so far no luck. At first I thought maybe there's something wrong with me, or maybe I just haven't found the "right" fragrance that's going to make me curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb, but now I'm pretty sure I'm too cold and heartless for that.
    Nah - the right one will get you when the time comes! People who think they're cold and heartless cry the hardest, and that's why it makes such great cinema when they do!

I will admit - I had thought the whole idea was a bit weird, even after I read a great long post by Mike Perez back in the day, about a fragrance that made him cry. Still did not imagine it happening to me. But when I smelled Dans Tes Bras (In Your Arms), I could not place what it was making me feel. Then I realized that it reminded me of my great-aunt when I was a kid (basically my grandma-figure), but when it did so - long after she had died - it reminded me of all this old history that she lived - stuff I had learned later - her lost love, saving my mom's life, never having married - etc., etc. - and it actually made me cry.

I've had that reaction a couple of other times, and it's the same thing for me - a fragrance that reminds me of something very emotional, or a very poignant story or person. I just let it happen.

If you want to get the experience, I can strongly recommend writing and listening to music as ways to bring the feelings up to where fragrance can do the rest. I really think it's worth it - it adds a wonderful dimension to the fragrance experience.

This is an interesting thread! I noticed in the last weeks or months that I feel depressed after a longer sampling session and the whole day is spoiled. That didn't happen before, it's a phenomenon that occured recently and I don't know why. I think it's not a reaction to the scent itself but maybe to some ingredients.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush

Hypnotic Poison and the conceited convinction which with many women think to wear (wearing this one) the best fragrance in the world.

Basenotes Plus

I once got in a fight with my brother who was wearing Dior Dune

Does that count?

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 09:30 PM.

No, but my fragrance has made plenty of people angry and choke.
    Gym scent of week: A*Men Pure Havane

My gym hates me

Not physically angry, but I get slightly annoyed when I see men post l'heure blue as their SOTD.

It doesn't happen if they wear other women's frags. I guess it's because it's the archetypal 'old woman's perfume' and apparently the Queen Mother's favourite perfume, so it just seems wrong. I feel like shaking them and saying 'Get a grip'.

I had the exact same feeling as you when I tried ELd'O Fat electrician. I wouldn't even say it's a bad scent as regards of composition, it's just that it smells so bad and disturbing that I felt "Jesus why do you do this to me [you nose that composed this and said "go, wear it, it's a fragrance"]".

On a more "theorethical/moral" plan, plenty of expensive marketing-driven poop makes me angry, as well as fakes, imitations and derivative spinoffs, especially if they're subtle and a few people notice it. When I smell a scent that sells for $200 and I either think "cheap materials here" or " this smells like the dumb brother of [X, Y, Z]", that pisses me off - especially if many "aficionados" love it.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 30th March 2014 at 01:51 PM.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

OK WHO'S WEARING MUGLERS A*MEN!!!

None really so far, but the cause of it may be in part physical- since I never had any allergies/intolerance/other types of adverse reactions to any fragrance so far.

True, due to unpleasant memories/associations, a fragrance may bring up less happy moments, states, thoughts etc. but even so, not enough to make me angry.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 30th March 2014 at 09:08 PM.

Dirty English, Cool Water, Eau de Cartier, Bergamotto Marino, L'Essence de Cerruti,..there are so many annoying, enraging scents.

I don't know about "angry", but when someone really badly oversprays -- almost always it's women -- I get annoyed, and my annoyance level goes up the more I have to be around them. With men, if I get angry about a smell, it's usually natural -- there are a few guys at the gym who don't seem to wear deodorant, and smell unspeakably bad, and I'll get angry enough to say something to them occasionally. I don't mean they smell like sweat and hard work, which I expect, but if you are using the squat rack to do curls, and it smells like a garbage dump in a 5-foot radius around you, you'll be getting talked to!

I'm always angry, but no fragrance has ever enhanced it.

This barely happens to me, but there is a fragrance that if not leaves me angry makes me grumpy all the day, and it's one that has a kind of cult following - Chanel Coromandel. Not that i get angry because i don't like it or think it's poor. Indeed, i think it's a good fragrance, specially when smell its sillage on others. On me, however, i hate it. Something on it suffocates me and leaves me with a bad mood the entire day. I tested more than once to see if it was just a coincidence, but no, everytime i wore it made peeved, so i ended selling my bottle and giving up of this one.

I never had any fragrance that made me cry, but some made me feel something emotionally very strong, like something really good and incredible happened. The last time that this happened was when my Caron Poivre decant arrived. That spicy smell just made me instantly smile and feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

OK WHO'S WEARING MUGLERS A*MEN!!!
    lol....I LOVE THE HULK !

Basenotes Junkie

never

It never happened to me but if you can get angry for smelling a fragrance, you should probably stay away from Askew which, according to its ad copy, it's supposed to be the inspired by anger.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Imo anger is a mental state. Anyway, some unsuccessful blind buys, yes. For example Perry Ellis 360 degrees red.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Angry, no, never.

I think that you are talking about a scent association with thoughts, mood or emotion, whether concious or not. Olfactory memories run deep.I have cried once when I smelled a fragrance. I had just recieved very bad news and shortly after I sprayed a fragrance which is just a simple but lovely little rose. It seemed to shine, like a little beacon of hope, and it made me cry, but it wasn't the fragrance as such I think. It was the emotion that it connected with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Not physically angry, but I get slightly annoyed when I see men post l'heure blue as their SOTD.

It doesn't happen if they wear other women's frags. I guess it's because it's the archetypal 'old woman's perfume' and apparently the Queen Mother's favourite perfume, so it just seems wrong. I feel like shaking them and saying 'Get a grip'.
    Might have to wear it tomorrow. Very soothing!

The scent itself has never made me angry. Many have made me nearly ill. A few have made me melancholoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post

I guess you never tried L'Heure Bleue in pure parfum concentration, which doesn't have anything old on it. Never saw any old lady here wearing L'Heure Bleue. It's one of my favorites and it's not wrong at all.

I can't say that it has ever made me angry, but I did get a little sick to my stomach when i first smelled Secretions Magnifiques.

Basenotes Plus

If I smell Opium, it reminds me of an 80s flame that did me WRONG and it brings back some angry memories
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    if i smell opium, it reminds me of an 80s flame that did me wrong and it brings back some angry memories
    tmi

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    If I smell Opium, it reminds me of an 80s flame that did me WRONG and it brings back some angry memories
    ingesting. Just realized I have one of those as well, though I don't know what the perfume she wore was. I hated the smell quite frankly, would only know it by smell. Luckily it doesn't seem many women wear it.

I'm not sure about angry, but Sartorial made me feel petulant for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    no.

"Your Honor, the defendant was wearing A*Men for the first time, and therefore cannot be held responsible for his actions. The defense rests."
    This one. Not so much angry.... annoying more than anything. It made me physically ill. It was my first and last wearing of A*Men. I couldn't get the smell out of my shirt. It took two washes.
    I also had a similar experience with SMN's Sandalo. A very harsh overpowering sythentic sandalwood that doesn't let up and is nearly impossible to get out of fabrics.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "