Code of Conduct

Default Jean Patou Pour Homme - HELP!

I've been hunting for vintage and discontinued fragrances for a long time. This has always been on my list. Anyways, today, I was checking out a new store and was chatting with the SA about Jean Patou for Lacoste, but they didn't have it. However, to my surprise, she went and pulled out this from way back in the display cabinets. This was the only one, and it was just in a generic plastic box. (I noticed they had other unboxed scents in a generic white plastic too.)

My question is...does anyone know if this is the Cologne (EDT) or if it is the aftershave? I did a few searches on eBay and google, and saw that the aftershave tester's have a sticker on the front. I've included a few photos below for reference. Either way, I'm extremely happy to have found it and finally have it in my collection.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    Last edited by Coolcicada; 5th April 2014 at 04:48 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Jean Patou Pour Homme - HELP!

Would an Aftershave have an atomizer? I would think it would be splash.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Good point. Looks like the EDT tester to me - like mine without the cap and sticker.
    Last edited by hednic; 30th March 2014 at 04:21 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My Guerlain vetiver (from early 90s) had a sprayer.

What does it smell like to you?

I know colognes used to be stronger back in the day, but you can still tell a cologne from a perfume.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Good point. Looks like the EDT tester to me - like mine without the cap and sticker.
    Thank you Hednic, always a great help! How does the color look compared to yours?

I've seen the other Patou Aftershave testers on eBay and they are in the exact same bottle only with a sticker that says aftershave. My worry is that the perfume shop may have removed this sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    My Guerlain vetiver (from early 90s) had a sprayer. What does it smell like to you? I know colognes used to be stronger back in the day, but you can still tell a cologne from a perfume.
    I am not good at describing scents but it has a very strong spice opening, and drydown to something much lighter. I've been reading the reviews now, and it seems accurate. My experience with aftershaves is that they usually had a alcohol smell when you first spray, I did not experience that here.

Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolcicada View Post
    Thank you Hednic, always a great help! How does the color look compared to yours?
    I just checked my bottle. It's always hard to tell definitively with pictures and different lighting sources. My liquid looks a bit lighter than your original picture in the first post. On the bottom of my bottle it says Jean Patou Paris 90ml 3fl oz. Made in France all engraved in the glass. On the back of the bottle toward the bottom it has in black 88% Volume.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I just checked my bottle. It's always hard to tell definitively with pictures and different lighting sources. My liquid looks a bit lighter than your original picture in the first post. On the bottom of my bottle it says Jean Patou Paris 90ml 3fl oz. Made in France all engraved in the glass. On the back of the bottle toward the bottom it has in black 88% Volume.
    Thank you! I believe I have the EDT! Made my day!

Lots of AS's have atomizers. I prefer it that way as I don't need to waste anything on my hands.

I have both the AS and EDT, based on colour of the juice I am inclined to think it is the EDT you have scored.

Either way they are both magnificent fragrances, well done and welcome to the
    Patou PH family.

It seems to me that on the bottle there's a sticker that says 88 % vol or 88 that indicates it's an EDT strenght.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I've seen lots of aftershaves in atomizers.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Believe it or not, it's an aftershave. Not many come in sprays anymore. I have the same bottle. I bought it a few years when some came onto the market. While it pales in comparison to the EdT, it is a good way to own a piece of Patou history and get a little taste of the old EdT.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Believe it or not, it's an aftershave. Not many come in sprays anymore. I have the same bottle. I bought it a few years when some came onto the market. While it pales in comparison to the EdT, it is a good way to own a piece of Patou history and get a little taste of the old EdT.
    But how did you come to that conclusion? Like others here, I have a tester of the EdT that looks exactly the same (including the sticker with the ingredient list) as the bottle shown by Coolcicada. I have owned two of these before and I know for certain that they were EdT-strength because I own the retail version too.

Edit: I checked my bottle and it has no 88 printed on the back. I don't think the absence is a sure sign for anything.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 31st March 2014 at 12:45 PM.

If it's an aftershave -- it might be close to the reformulation?

It's an EDT, not an aftershave.
    1) The color of the liquid is the color of EDT; more orange-brownish than aftershave which is much paler/greenish (like seen in
    the post # 5)
    2) The strength is 88% vol. which is EDT's strength

It's the typical 90 ml EDT tester of Patou Pour Homme with the notes list on the backside of the bottle.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Spray it, does it smell like bombastic leather and civet? If so, you've got he Edt.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

By the way, i hope it smells better than the new Patou pour Homme recently released. Didn't like it at all.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I conclude based on the fact it says "aftershave" just like my bottle. It lasts maybe an hour or two. If it is strong, resinous, and long-lasting, it is the EdT and should last more than eight hours.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I conclude based on the fact it says "aftershave" just like my bottle. It lasts maybe an hour or two. If it is strong, resinous, and long-lasting, it is the EdT and should last more than eight hours.
    Sorry for the confusion....are we still talking about the bottle in the first post? The photo I posted a few posts later was just an example.

In the first photos you uploaded, the juice is quite orange in colour.
    If this colour tone is accurate on my monitor, I think you may have a problem.

I have never seen genuine Patou Pour Homme EDT turn so orange.
    The photo you uploaded of the aftershave is much closer in colour to genuine PPH EDT.

I would urge caution... people forget that the 90ml Patou spray bottles are refillable - the sprayer screws off.
    I may be wrong, but I suspect this is not genuine PPH EDT... the colour is totally wrong in your photos.
    Alternatively, someone has topped up real juice with something else for whatever reason.
    Alternatively, the juice is badly damaged and nothing like fresh Patou of the 80s.

I truly hope I am wrong and that my monitor is playing tricks on me... I hate seeing people cheated.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 1st April 2014 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    In the first photos you uploaded, the juice is quite orange in colour.
    If this colour tone is accurate on my monitor, I think you may have a problem.

I have never seen genuine Patou Pour Homme EDT turn so orange.
    The photo you uploaded of the aftershave is much closer in colour to genuine PPH EDT.

I would urge caution... people forget that the 90ml Patou spray bottles are refillable - the sprayer screws off.
    I may be wrong, but I suspect this is not genuine PPH EDT... the colour is totally wrong in your photos.
    Alternatively, someone has topped up real juice with something else for whatever reason.
    Alternatively, the juice is badly damaged and nothing like fresh Patou of the 80s.

I truly hope I am wrong and that my monitor is playing tricks on me... I hate seeing people cheated.
    The color of old scents is an interesting topic, especially in vintage ones. I haven't seen any vintage with the bright colors you might find in dollar store scents, for example, so that is something to look for in bottles that can be refilled (assuming your "nose" is not "mature" enough or you are buying blind, though in the latter case it might just be lighting effects). I have some identical old bottles made at about the same time with very different colors. One was in a box (lighter color) and one was not (darker color) yet they smelled the same (Sybaris by Puig). I also have many vintage ones with that rich, dark orange/reddish brown color and they seem fine, though with any very old bottle I would be concerned if top notes were a major issue. Since I try to largely avoid top notes I can't speak to how they hold up in vintage scents and what the color may mean in that context.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st April 2014 at 09:00 AM.