Code of Conduct

Default Bois D'Argent my biggest fragrance disappointment to date.

Had been looking forward to testing this one out for about 18 months now and I had read/seen nothing but good reviews then last week I purchased myself a 10ml decant from a trusted sampler I deal with and oh my....

what a let down, seemed to have some sort of sour (bad) milk with old honey smell to it and even worse there was some sort of insidious note in the back that would pop up from time to time like a really old house smell that totally weirded me out, wore it for 6 hours strait then had to wash what was left off myself and sprayed on some Acqua Di Parma Colonia to make my nose forget the horror show it was put through. Honestly I was surpried how bad I found this, it was a uniquely unpleasent scent that really made me feel uneasy and almost sick, i've honestly never had this feeling with fragrance before.
    Last edited by LeSamourai; 3rd April 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Default Re: Bois D'Argent my biggest fragrance disappointment to date.

I agree, its not a pleasant smell.

Surprised that so many people like it. In fact that's not a bad review of it on YouTube.
    What coach Rob says determines what I spray

Hmmm, I would say I was more underwhelmed, just in that I didn't really smell much at all with this one. But, I've worn it and had a few others sniff sprayed paper and it's generally very well received. I really couldn't describe what exactly is smells like, but it's very well made at the least. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you and more importantly that you were disappointed by the experience
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

To the OP: Sorry that it turned out to be such a disappointment to you. Although perhaps not my preferred in the line, I do like it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Honestly I don't know how this one didn't agree with me, I had heard it was similar to (if not the same as) the likes of DHI, D600, the original Homme and Midnight In Paris all fragrances I enjoy to varying degrees but no....i'm just glad I didn't but the full bottle as I did find a good price on one.

Any chance your sample turned bad? It's not my favorite, but I don't really find anything sour or off-putting with this one. I would suggest getting a sample from the Perfumed Court or somewhere that sells samples to compare with the decant you have.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

I love this scent. Maybe its the smell of myrrh you arent like?

I don't like it either but strangely for basically the opposite reason - too delicate. I couldn't smell a thing.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | *NEW* Signoricci VTG BNIB, Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat