Code of Conduct

Default Bois D'Argent my biggest fragrance disappointment to date.

Had been looking forward to testing this one out for about 18 months now and I had read/seen nothing but good reviews then last week I purchased myself a 10ml decant from a trusted sampler I deal with and oh my....

what a let down, seemed to have some sort of sour (bad) milk with old honey smell to it and even worse there was some sort of insidious note in the back that would pop up from time to time like a really old house smell that totally weirded me out, wore it for 6 hours strait then had to wash what was left off myself and sprayed on some Acqua Di Parma Colonia to make my nose forget the horror show it was put through. Honestly I was surpried how bad I found this, it was a uniquely unpleasent scent that really made me feel uneasy and almost sick, i've honestly never had this feeling with fragrance before.
    Last edited by LeSamourai; 3rd April 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Bois D'Argent my biggest fragrance disappointment to date.

I agree, its not a pleasant smell.

Surprised that so many people like it. In fact that's not a bad review of it on YouTube.
    Currently wearing: Encounter by Calvin Klein

Hmmm, I would say I was more underwhelmed, just in that I didn't really smell much at all with this one. But, I've worn it and had a few others sniff sprayed paper and it's generally very well received. I really couldn't describe what exactly is smells like, but it's very well made at the least. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you and more importantly that you were disappointed by the experience
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

To the OP: Sorry that it turned out to be such a disappointment to you. Although perhaps not my preferred in the line, I do like it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Honestly I don't know how this one didn't agree with me, I had heard it was similar to (if not the same as) the likes of DHI, D600, the original Homme and Midnight In Paris all fragrances I enjoy to varying degrees but no....i'm just glad I didn't but the full bottle as I did find a good price on one.

Any chance your sample turned bad? It's not my favorite, but I don't really find anything sour or off-putting with this one. I would suggest getting a sample from the Perfumed Court or somewhere that sells samples to compare with the decant you have.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

I love this scent. Maybe its the smell of myrrh you arent like?

I don't like it either but strangely for basically the opposite reason - too delicate. I couldn't smell a thing.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Great fragrance. Non-cloying iris and patchouli with a powdery twist. As bravacosta mentioned, the myrrh is probably what is off-putting to a few people.

Dependent

I let a friend of mine smell it a couple weeks ago and he said it reminded him of something but he couldn't place it.. then later that day he text me "Now i know what it smells like.. a condom!" Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I let a friend of mine smell it a couple weeks ago and he said it reminded him of something but he couldn't place it.. then later that day he text me "Now i know what it smells like.. a condom!" Lmao
    Yikes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Why would he smell it .... after the fact?

Never mind

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Why would he smell it .... after the fact?

Never mind
    Lol.. i think he meant pre used. Atleast i hope that's what he meant. haha

Have you tried VC&A Bois d'Iris. A similar vibe and may appeal to you.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I love Bois d'Argent, but it's not my favorite iris by a long shot. Honey and milk ( though, not "turned" milk to my nose ) are definitely present; I get something a bit like anise in there, too, along with a very prominent orris powder type of iris.

You've by no means exhausted the vast array of irises, so, maybe just move on to something new... ( Oh, and handy tip: you probably won't enjoy L'Artisan Tea For Two: similar milk/honey accord. )

Sometimes it can seem via reviews and note lists that a fragrance will match ones tastes perfectly, and it just doesn't happen. That happened with me recently and Cuir d'Ange.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I don't like it either but strangely for basically the opposite reason - too delicate. I couldn't smell a thing.
    +1

I foolishly bought two bottles of the original version, when the collection was still a trio, and sold them both off within a couple of months.

I absolutely love this stuff! Noses are funny.

I've never understood this one either. I can smell it just fine, but it does smell like something's spoiled to me and I generally like things that smell bad.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I've never understood this one either. I can smell it just fine, but it does smell like something's spoiled to me and I generally like things that smell bad.
    Out of curiosity, have you ever smelled orris powder? Separate from various iris extracts, accords, etc. Bois d'Argent always struck me as being closest to the slight musty-grainy violet-iris of orris powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you ever smelled orris powder? Separate from various iris extracts, accords, etc. Bois d'Argent always struck me as being closest to the slight musty-grainy violet-iris of orris powder.
    I've smelled various orris extracts (honestly, I don't know if it was powder), and I dislike orris in general, so that could be it!

Basenotes Plus

OP, I agree. This one was a big let down. I don't get the love at all.

I bought a decant three years ago and was very underwhelmed by the "milky" nature as well. Just recently I saw a bottle on sale for a really good price and I couldn't help buy snatch it up. And what do you know? It was much, much more to my liking this time around.

Tastes do change, so give your decant a second go some time from now.

Must be skin chemistry?.. I don't get anything close to sour milk, nor can I imagine anything in this that would give that effect. Those who experience the spoiled smell: have you tried it on clothing? Just curious.