Code of Conduct

Default Storing Fragrances

Hey ladies and gents,
    As the scorching summer in the south approaches I had some concerns about storing my fragrances. I currently keep them in plastic drawers out of the sunlight in my bedroom. My house temp will be in the upper 70s or warmer this summer and we usually keep the AC blasting. I know collectors keep some of their fragrances in fridges or wine coolers. I have read fragrances keep the best between 50-70 degrees and that fluctuating temps and humidity can be bad. I am strongly considering getting a small wine cooler to keep most of them in at around 60 degrees. How do you store your fragrances? What would you recommend?

Thanks for reading!
    #FlyEaglesFly

-Archer

Default Re: Storing Fragrances

I don't know how large or expensive your collection is.

As a buying a fridge or wine cooler for your fragrances only has it's price also.

To the OP: The way you have them stored should be fine especially since you say you have the air conditioning on. In my case, I have my collection which is massive stored in a light and temperature controlled basement walk-in vault at 57 Degrees. Again, in your situation I would say you have no worries.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    To the OP: The way you have them stored should be fine especially since you say you have the air conditioning on. In my case, I have my collection which is massive stored in a light and temperature controlled basement walk-in vault at 57 Degrees. Again, in your situation I would say you have no worries.
    Wow that must be a massive collection haha is 57 degrees an ideal temp? We don't always have the AC on but do most of the time, sometimes I worry my room could get too warm at times. I have a pretty small collection but plan on getting some higher end designer fragrances soon. Thanks for the replies guys!

You'll be fine at 70F (22C).

for swap/sale:

Just garage sale shop. I got my mini fridge for $20

I just keep mine in a dresser cabinet - no A/C.

I keep mine in an unplugged fridge in my basement. I am in the process of moving, so currently it resides in my mother-in-law's garage in a mini cooler. The garage stays relatively cool in comparison to the hot, humid, North Carolina climate.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

In a nice dark linen closet for me. Third shelf up at about chest level...easy to see the bottles and grab what I want. My apartment is air conditioned to 70 - 72F in the Summer and kept at between 65 and 70 in the Spring, Fall, and Winter.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Personally I don't bother with any of this. Just seems overkill to me. I've been using fragrances for over a decade and never had one lose anything or go bad. They've been kept right atop a dresser in plain view of windows. I keep the shades drawn but don't bother running ac when I'm not there. It gets up to around 80 in my house sometimes. Nothing has happened!!!!!!

Just seems like frantic balogna to me.

Then again, I've only got about 50 bottles....
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 7th April 2014 at 09:02 PM.

Dark closet away from direct sources of light.

I keep them in a drawer which stays at a relatively constant temperature and completely out of the sunlight. A wine cooler or mini fridge are great methods of storage though. I have seen them on sale less than $100 and even less if you get one at a garage sale.

Thanks for all the feedback! I will see how temps are this summer and try to keep the house cool. If need be some smaller wine coolers are pretty cheap on craigslist.

Good question that will generate a host of answers. I keep decants in my closet where it is dark and cool. I then keep the bulk of my bottles in my basement in a chest. It never gets above 68 degrees. I also have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in the spring/summer. I keep select citrus fragrances in a mini fridge that I have set at a conservative setting. I keep the mini fridge at 55 degrees.

From all of my research and experience, brighter citrus fragrances require a little extra TLC, this is why I elect to put them in a mini fridge. The top notes are the first to go, so keeping these treasures at a consistent, cool temperature helps to maintain their integrity.

I'd say that if you keep them out of the light (natural or unnatural) and in a cool place (not exceeding 70 degrees or so) you should be fine.

Good Luck!
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

I take care of my fragrances (keep them in a cool dark closet in an unplugged fridge) and my wife leaves her perfumes sitting on the dresser exposed to ambient light plus 80-85 degree room temps and has perfumes that I bought for her at least 8 years ago that smell just as good as when I bought them. I'll never understand it.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I take care of my fragrances (keep them in a cool dark closet in an unplugged fridge) and my wife leaves her perfumes sitting on the dresser exposed to ambient light plus 80-85 degree room temps and has perfumes that I bought for her at least 8 years ago that smell just as good as when I bought them. I'll never understand it.
    Still this is a reassuring story.

Coolers, refrigerators or air conditioning are, in my belated opinion, suitable for long term fragrance storage in warmer temperatures.