Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dihydromyrcenol and me (or: why Jardin d'Amalfi made me recoil)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Just goes to show how different people perceive and have certain tolerences when it comes to smell. I can't stand the smell of bleach where others perceive this smell as clean. The brain works in mysterious ways. lol..
    Whoa. What? Some people think bleach smells good? I had no idea. That never even occurred to me. The smell is horrendous.
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Royal Oud
    Penhaligon's Endymion
    Dior Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Histoires De Parfums 1725
    Pomelo Paradis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Millesime Imperial
    Fahrenheit
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

I guess it's like looking behind the curtain at a magic show. Once you've seen how the trick is done ... It's ruined

Still enjoying the performance
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Whoa. What? Some people think bleach smells good? I had no idea. That never even occurred to me. The smell is horrendous.
    It probably has something to do with pica.
    Some day's you're the statue and some days you're the pigeon.

I try not to complicate things like that. Sorry you had a bad experience.

This thread makes me feel like giving up fragrances. I have enough trouble identifying notes, never mind individual chemical compounds. Blah!

To my nose a lot of fragrances contain a foul, chemical sour note that I really dislike.
    Cool water is one of them, Hanae Mori HM is another.
    I always thought that it was just a low grade lavender but it might just be dihydromyrcenol.

I'd never claim to be able to pick out most individual aroma chemicals -- I'm sure many end up being anonymous or just links in various accords. But a few are recognizable as they are complex and distinct enough to have their own personality. Calone is certainly one; most of us know its watery-aquatic effect quite well. Dihydromyrcenol is another. It turns on a lavender/gray-citrus effect but with a sort of plastic or for some metallic quality. The big common element between GIT and Cool Water is dihydromyrcerol, so if you recognize that similar note between them, you've got a handle on this chemical.

I didn't expect to smell it in Jardin d'Amalfi just because it didn't sound, on paper, like the sort of composition that would use it. It's most commonly in fougere-like masculines (given its lavender-like quality).

It could be that my sensitivity to it is from going to high school in the early 90s when my newly hormonal male peers were all doused in Cool Water. It's tough for me to break the association with shopping-mall commercial perfume. Beyond that, though, I just don't care for its synthetic quality.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    To my nose a lot of fragrances contain a foul, chemical sour note that I really dislike.
    Cool water is one of them, Hanae Mori HM is another.
    I always thought that it was just a low grade lavender but it might just be dihydromyrcenol.

I think it's neroli in Cool Water, but I've never thought of HM as sour.

MI, yes, but Jardin d' Amalfi? I don't smell Dihydromyrcenol, but maybe hedione for the lemony part? Also the green apple synthetic that Creed is so fond of is noticeable. They might also use one of the new replacements for iso e super. Neroli, rose, tangerine, vetiver, cedar, white musk, cinnamon all create a great blend.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th April 2014 at 01:50 PM.

I may well have picked up on something else in Jardin d'Amalfi, or there's a slim chance it was sprayed on a strip that had caught some GIT. I'll give it another try sometime (direct on skin from a bottle) and see how that goes.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I actually like Jardin D' Amalfi and Dior Homme Eau. Both are nice for the upcoming (sooner or later) warm weather.

Jardin d'Amalfi is great. I'm glad my nose isn't as sophisticated as others...
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Dependent

I also despise dihydromyrcenol and have been foiled by it dozens upon dozens of times, spoiling otherwise admirable compositions. Calone as well I find unbearable.

It is well conceivable that sensitivity to these compounds may vary among the populace by orders of magnitude. Iow, what others perceive as a slight metallic modern touch is to us horrifying industrial floor cleanser.

Basenotes Plus

Sucks for you. Jardin D'Amalfi is by far the best smelling fragrance I ever got my nose one. I could sniff it all day long.
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I think GIT was about 15% dihydromyrcenol when it was released in the '80s. I'm not sure whether their more recent releases like Jardin d'Amalfi or Aventus exceed that mark, but no question that it is a common trope for Creed. But isn't Creed's "signature" synthetic really ambroxan/amberlyn?

ditto for my spice&wood and mayfair samples -- seems like gobs of dihydromyrcenol

The real artistry of perfumers has been to figure out how to use these aroma chemicals so that they aren't noticeable as synthetic and smell like natural or real. The more we smell them the more we are accepting of them. Our sense of smell is gradually retrained to expect these chemically harsh notes - they are the NEW NORMAL as we acclimate to accept these aromas. The contrasts in these chemicals roughly approximates the tart awakening of the nose that used to come from well blended natural ingredients that held exciting contrasts. But the naturals have become so unreliable, variable with each year, expensive and/or banned altogether so we are being retrained to accept dihydromyrcenol, norlimbanol + many dozens of others that are still somewhat anonymous to you and I, that create the excitement and subtlety in most fragrances we wear. The chemicals are actually becoming more subtle in their deployment in my opinion. No doubt they are here to stay.
    favorites now: • petit malin • bigarade concentree • tzora • lemon in zest • camellia intrepid • adp essenza • smn patchouli • mississippi medicine • "on the road" • oud shamash • bdv oxford • millesime imperial • anat fritz classical • btv chelsea •

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Overall very good reading in this thread, thank you.