Code of Conduct

Default Dihydromyrcenol and me (or: why Jardin d'Amalfi made me recoil)

Ah, dihydromyrcenol. That sort of lavender, sort of citrus, sort of metal, sort of plastic, entirely ubiquitous and by-now-cliché aromachemical par excellence. You were ushered into the world in the likes of Drakkar Noir and Cool Water, and now you're the quintessential "man's cologne" smell. You've even been lending your odd simulo-freshness to cleaning products for years now. And to me, no matter how you try to hide, you just scream.

Am I the only one who hones in on this little molecule like a highly-advanced targeting system? My olfactory apparatus has some sort of dihydromyrcenol defense system. I'm trained. This stuff is everywhere, and it instantly generic-izes anything for me.

Notably, yesterday I headed to Neiman Marcus to try the much-vaunted Jardin d'Amalfi, since I'm in one of my rare moments of wanting to give Creed another chance. You see, previous experiences with the line left me unimpressed by the rather commercial-level use of aroma chemicals. Aventus has some crazy large-molecule "pineapple" fruit thing going on (and which also stomps around Bleecker St.). Green Irish Tweed is nothing but a dihydromyrcenol FIESTA to me -- I get its plastic lavender synthetic wallop and not much else (please, can we throw in SOMETHING natural?). Still, I'd enjoyed Original Vetiver from a sample the previous week, and it was time to check out the wonderful high-quality tangerine-meets-rose-and-vetiver naturalness that is, apparently, Jardin. So the rep sprayed the card. I sniffed. And ... what's this? Hello dihydromyrcenol! Clear as day! What ever are you doing there, my charmlessly ubiquitous friend?

It's in MI. It's right there in the heart of Dior Homme Eau for Men, a flanker sullying a masterpiece in a manner equivalent to cranking auto-tune on a Billie Holiday recording. Yes, we can evoke the verdant fields of Grasse. We can give you fresh turned soil, redolent incense, the sparkle of citrus. But even better, we can vividly transport you to the exotic climes of every crass shopping mall fragrance counter anywhere. Dihydromyrcenol!

Surely I'm not the only one so darned sensitive to this little molecule. And surely I'm not the only one who gets the slug of it in Jardin d'Amalfi. For me, it's a sort of kryptonite (as is calone, but that's a rant for another day).
    Last edited by onethinline; 5th April 2014 at 09:26 AM.

Default Re: Dihydromyrcenol and me (or: why Jardin d'Amalfi made me recoil)

I'm glad I don't pick up on it but I'm sorry you do.

Am I really reading this? "Creed" finally used in a non-nonsense sentence about how a great milestone it is? LOL. Great post, I agree on everything you wrote. I stay away from calone too - but that's easier to accomplish.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Agreed! Jardin, GIT, and MI are among my favorite Creeds!

I truly wish I didn't pick up on it so distinctly in Jardin d'Amalfi, as I was quite ready to enjoy that one and put any prejudice against Creed aside. Alas, it's there for me, and dihydromyrcenol and I just don't get along. I was actually surprised it popped up there, honestly.

I think you're mistaken. Creed only use all natural ingredients of the finest quality in their fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I think you're mistaken. Creed only use all natural ingredients of the finest quality in their fragrances.
    In addition to a number of synthetics.

Basenotes Plus

Creed only use all natural ingredients of the finest quality in their fragrances.
    This should also be in the BN mantra thread

That should be on sickipedia.org
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

All natural ingredients hand-picked from the gardens and fields of royals, whether kings, dukes, counts, or any other member of the elite ruling class. Also, Cary Grant's ghost continues to select their bergamot.

Turns out the rare and exquisite varietal Royal Dihydromyrcenol only grows in the serf-manicured gardens of Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    All natural ingredients hand-picked from the gardens and fields of royals, whether kings, dukes, counts, or any other member of the elite ruling class. Also, Cary Grant's ghost continues to select their bergamot.

Turns out the rare and exquisite varietal Royal Dihydromyrcenol only grows in the serf-manicured gardens of Versailles.
    Now you've got it!

I got a bottle of Jardin d'Amalfi on eBay for $25 but I'm worried that it may be a fake. When I play my Edith Piaf records, it does not vibrate at the correct frequency. Is it possible that it contains common, peasant-status Dihydromyrcenol instead of the Royal variety?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

This.. I pray i never pick up on it either as JdA is a fav of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I got a bottle of Jardin d'Amalfi on eBay for $25 but I'm worried that it may be a fake. When I play my Edith Piaf records, it does not vibrate at the correct frequency. Is it possible that it contains common, peasant-status Dihydromyrcenol instead of the Royal variety?
    Only if the bottle was originally intended for the U.S. market

Lucky I guess that I don't pick up on it either or don't have the same reaction as the OP. Do love the scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

MI makes me recoil. However, I think Jardin d'Amalfi is one of the most amazing scents I have ever smelled.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Just to preface, I own a few classics from Creed (git,smw, sandal, Angelique encens, royal delight, aventus (was s gift) &a few others). But generally I find the new creed perfumes poorly made.
    But I did think I'd like JdA.

I didn't &I got the screeching note you mention.

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Love this one personally... One of the few Creeds that is worth owning, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Just to preface, I own a few classics from Creed (git,smw, sandal, Angelique encens, royal delight, aventus (was s gift) &a few others). But generally I find the new creed perfumes poorly made.
    But I did think I'd like JdA.

I didn't &I got the screeching note you mention.
    Whew. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not because I'm here to bash Jardin d'Amalfi or Creed generally -- I'm not -- but just to know I'm not crazy for picking up the chemical there.

"It's right there in the heart of Dior Homme Eau for Men, a flanker sullying a masterpiece in a manner equivalent cranking auto-tune on a Billie Holiday recording. Yes, we can evoke the verdant fields of Grasse. We can give you fresh turned soil, redolent incense, the sparkle of citrus. But even better, we can vividly transport you to the exotic climes of every crass shopping mall fragrance counter anywhere. Dihydromyrcenol!!"

I definitely get the synth note in DH Eau, but I had thought it was norlimbanol. How do we differentiate between the 2? Do they smell similar? It's been difficult for me to pin down exactly what these various chemicals smell like. Could someone name some examples of each? I know Polo Red is supposedly a norlimbanol bomb, but I thought I smelled the same thing in DH Eau. I'm lost!
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 4th April 2014 at 09:04 PM.

How wonderful that your sensitive nose saved you from the substandard Creed fragrance line.

What a shame that you're missing out on so many great fragrances.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

"It's right there in the heart of Dior Homme Eau for Men, a flanker sullying a masterpiece in a manner equivalent cranking auto-tune on a Billie Holiday recording. Yes, we can evoke the verdant fields of Grasse. We can give you fresh turned soil, redolent incense, the sparkle of citrus. But even better, we can vividly transport you to the exotic climes of every crass shopping mall fragrance counter anywhere. Dihydromyrcenol!!"

I definitely get the synth note in DH Eau, but I had thought it was norlimbanol. How do we differentiate between the 2? Do they smell similar? It's been difficult for me to pin down exactly what these various chemicals smell like. Could someone name some examples of each? I know Polo Red is supposedly a norlimbanol bomb, but I thought I smelled the same thing in DH Eau. I'm lost!
    Ah, you could be right on that, JiveHippo. I may be misremembering DH Eau, as I just smelled it the once. At the heart was a very familiar, very common, very synthetic smelling molecule which I assumed in hindsight was dihydromyrcenol due to the metallic/plastic/pseudo-lavender effect. My big references for "dihy" are GIT and Cool Water.

My understanding is that norlimbanol is a very dry woody/amber scent, which sounds like something different from the ubiquitous generic masculine mall denizen dihydromyrcenol. Supposedly norlimbanol is one of the things that shapes Black Afgano (per dukehunt's review).

But I haven't smelled DH Eau so I am not sure what's in that one.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Norlimbanol has an extremely dry, woody smell. To my nose, it even has a slightly scorched quality to it at high concentration, like when wood is run through a hot bandsaw. Very powerful and persistent, too. It's used judiciously in Fahrenheit.
    Dihydromyrcenol is very different. It has a fresh-metallic-lavender-citrus scent. It is used in a large number of modern fougères, like Cool Water and Drakkar Noir (mentioned in the OP's post).
    Last edited by gandhajala; 5th April 2014 at 07:25 AM.

I seem to be very sensitive to it now as well, though I don't dislike it unless it is really strong. From what I remember Quartz Pour Homme by Molyneux seemed to have a huge amount of it, though that may be a reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Norlimbanol has an extremely dry, woody smell. To my nose, it even has a slightly scorched quality to it at high concentration, like when wood is run through a hot bandsaw. Very powerful and persistent, too. It's used judiciously in Fahrenheit.
    Dihydromyrcenol is very different. It has a fresh-metallic-lavender-citrus scent. It is used in a large number of modern fougères, like Cool Water and Drakkar Noir (mentioned in the OP's post).
    Given this, I'm gonna call dihydromyrcenol in both Dior Homme Eau for Men and Jardin d'Amalfi, as I got its distinct note in both (and especially strong in the heart of the Dior). I'm pretty sure I know norlimbanol as well, but the dihydromyrcenol effect is not dry-woody at all.

I must like this molecule, since I like both Dior Homme Eau and Jardin d'Amalfi. I do detect that smell, though; it's just that it doesn't bother me!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I must like this molecule, since I like both Dior Homme Eau and Jardin d'Amalfi. I do detect that smell, though; it's just that it doesn't bother me!
    Glad to hear more corroboration on its presence in these. Don't get me wrong; I don't think dihydromyrcenol is an inherently objectionable smell, and I can understand folks liking it. It's just not for me, and for whatever reason I'm particularly sensitive to it, so when it's there, it leaps out, sings bad karaoke, wants to go for a walk, talks over movies, and sends me far too many friend requests on Facebook.

Just goes to show how different people perceive and have certain tolerences when it comes to smell. I can't stand the smell of bleach where others perceive this smell as clean. The brain works in mysterious ways. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    It's right there in the heart of Dior Homme Eau for Men, a flanker sullying a masterpiece in a manner equivalent to cranking auto-tune on a Billie Holiday recording.
    Oh, LOL!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrutal. I do enjoy a good analogy
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Just goes to show how different people perceive and have certain tolerences when it comes to smell. I can't stand the smell of bleach where others perceive this smell as clean. The brain works in mysterious ways. lol..
    Whoa. What? Some people think bleach smells good? I had no idea. That never even occurred to me. The smell is horrendous.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I guess it's like looking behind the curtain at a magic show. Once you've seen how the trick is done ... It's ruined

Still enjoying the performance

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Whoa. What? Some people think bleach smells good? I had no idea. That never even occurred to me. The smell is horrendous.
    It probably has something to do with pica.

I try not to complicate things like that. Sorry you had a bad experience.

This thread makes me feel like giving up fragrances. I have enough trouble identifying notes, never mind individual chemical compounds. Blah!

To my nose a lot of fragrances contain a foul, chemical sour note that I really dislike.
    Cool water is one of them, Hanae Mori HM is another.
    I always thought that it was just a low grade lavender but it might just be dihydromyrcenol.

I'd never claim to be able to pick out most individual aroma chemicals -- I'm sure many end up being anonymous or just links in various accords. But a few are recognizable as they are complex and distinct enough to have their own personality. Calone is certainly one; most of us know its watery-aquatic effect quite well. Dihydromyrcenol is another. It turns on a lavender/gray-citrus effect but with a sort of plastic or for some metallic quality. The big common element between GIT and Cool Water is dihydromyrcerol, so if you recognize that similar note between them, you've got a handle on this chemical.

I didn't expect to smell it in Jardin d'Amalfi just because it didn't sound, on paper, like the sort of composition that would use it. It's most commonly in fougere-like masculines (given its lavender-like quality).

It could be that my sensitivity to it is from going to high school in the early 90s when my newly hormonal male peers were all doused in Cool Water. It's tough for me to break the association with shopping-mall commercial perfume. Beyond that, though, I just don't care for its synthetic quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    To my nose a lot of fragrances contain a foul, chemical sour note that I really dislike.
    Cool water is one of them, Hanae Mori HM is another.
    I always thought that it was just a low grade lavender but it might just be dihydromyrcenol.

I think it's neroli in Cool Water, but I've never thought of HM as sour.

MI, yes, but Jardin d' Amalfi? I don't smell Dihydromyrcenol, but maybe hedione for the lemony part? Also the green apple synthetic that Creed is so fond of is noticeable. They might also use one of the new replacements for iso e super. Neroli, rose, tangerine, vetiver, cedar, white musk, cinnamon all create a great blend.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th April 2014 at 01:50 PM.

I may well have picked up on something else in Jardin d'Amalfi, or there's a slim chance it was sprayed on a strip that had caught some GIT. I'll give it another try sometime (direct on skin from a bottle) and see how that goes.

I actually like Jardin D' Amalfi and Dior Homme Eau. Both are nice for the upcoming (sooner or later) warm weather.

Jardin d'Amalfi is great. I'm glad my nose isn't as sophisticated as others...